2009-2010 University of Hawaii Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ignore this thread for now. I'm sorry it's cluttering the forum. :(

I know it's too early for this. but I'm making all the school-specific threads now so I can link them to the main index thread, so everything's ready to go for the 2009-2010 application season :) I'd rather do it all in one sitting than try to spread the work out over the upcoming months.

So bear with me, and I apologize again for the clutter. These threads will move off the front page really soon, so you can really ignore them until the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for creating this thread!!
Last year, there was incorrect information on a blog re: John A. Burns School of Medicine (that we were not accredited). The truth at the time was that we were undergoing our periodic LCME accreditation (as do ALL allopathic med schools).
We are pleased to announce that we just received notification that University of Hawai'i John A. Burns School of Medicine is accredited for the maximum accreditation cycle of EIGHT years! We are pleased to have our program recognized so positively, and will continue to enhance student learning as we have done in the past. We thank our current students, faculty and staff who worked hard to showcase what we are so proud of here in Hawai'i.
To find out more about JABSOM, go to "Academics" at http://jabsom.hawaii.edu/jabsom/
Aloha!

too bad the only ties i have to hawaii is that my grandfather was raised there :(..doubt that counts to apply lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I assume they screen pretty hard for secondaries?

I assume they screen pretty hard for secondaries?
they do a numbers screen and give secondaries to all who meet the cut offs...but unless you have a lot of ties to hawaii you are wasting your time. Im talking real ties not like my 3rd cousin twice removed lived there in 1967

they do a numbers screen and give secondaries to all who meet the cut offs...but unless you have a lot of ties to hawaii you are wasting your time. Im talking real ties not like my 3rd cousin twice removed lived there in 1967

ummm like i really like hawaii? hahaha...i knew it was pretty much a waste of time from the beginning...what about both of my best friends are from hawaii?...i could find some new friends?...lol

I would love to go here! I'm white and grew up in Arizona, but would love to live somewhere with a lot of Filipinos. Maybe I'm just wasting my money, but do you guys think I have a shot as an OOS if:

-My dad was born in Hawaii.
-My mom went to junior high and high school in Hawaii.
-My wife's grandfather is a retired professor from U of Hawaii.
-Fluent in Tagalog and Ilokano.
-I love to surf!

...?

Last edited:
I would love to go here! I'm white and grew up in Arizona, but would love to live somewhere with a lot of Filipinos. Maybe I'm just wasting my money, but do you guys think I have a shot as an OOS (with a 3.5/35) if:

-My dad was born in Hawaii.
-My mom went to junior high and high school in Hawaii.
-My wife's grandfather is a retired professor from U of Hawaii.
-Fluent in Tagalog and Ilokano.
-I love to surf!

...?

That sounds like strong ties to the state. Almost everyone is OOS at hawaii i believe so thats not the issue the state ties are. Id say you have a good shot.

Am I the only oos without ties that applied? I love Hawaii but really what are my chances?...With all of my other secondaries going on I am starting to wonder if I should drop this one...since it is probably the one that i have the LEAST chance of getting into...any thoughts?

Am I the only oos without ties that applied? I love Hawaii but really what are my chances?...With all of my other secondaries going on I am starting to wonder if I should drop this one...since it is probably the one that i have the LEAST chance of getting into...any thoughts?

I'm applying as an in-stater. As far as I know, the people that do get in as OOS are pretty stellar. Maybe look on MDapps to see if your stats and ECs are comparable to those that gained acceptance. You got a secondary app though so things are looking good for you. Hope you continue with your app to JABSOM!

I applied and received the secondary, but decided against completing the secondary. (I wish that I had looked at the admissions statistics more closely for OOS applicants before I submitted the primary, but oh well.)

=) Good luck if you do decide to go through with it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied and received the secondary, but decided against completing the secondary. (I wish that I had looked at the admissions statistics more closely for OOS applicants before I submitted the primary, but oh well.)

=) Good luck if you do decide to go through with it!

I am doing the same thing...and feel the same way about wishing I had done a little more research...oh well

Good luck to everyone applying!

That sounds like strong ties to the state. Almost everyone is OOS at hawaii i believe so thats not the issue the state ties are. Id say you have a good shot.

What if I look Hawaiian and I surf? Does that count? Oh and I know someone from Kailua.. =[ I really want to go to school there.

hey all. i was born in HI. my mom moved there after she immigrated from the caribbean. you think thats a good enough "tie" to at least apply? what are their OOS stats? i've kinda always wanted to go back...

and can someone post the secondary questions? wanna see if its daunting or not.

Can anyone confirm that the secondary prompts are the same as last year's?

i have yet to receive a secondary. whats with that?

Are other applicants attending the "strongly recommended" Problem-Based Learning Demonstration? I am OOS and planning to attend the December demonstration, and submitted the interest form with my secondary. The school confirmed that they received my secondary, but I've been having trouble finding out more about the PBL demo process. So far I've emailed and called to confirm my place in the demonstration/get more info, but haven't heard anything back.

In response to the requests above:

Describe the important experience(s) in your life which you feel began the process that motivated you to enter the career of medicine.
Please explain why you are applying to the University of Hawai’i John A. Burns School of Medicine.
Good luck!

In response to the requests above:

Describe the important experience(s) in your life which you feel began the process that motivated you to enter the career of medicine.
Please explain why you are applying to the University of Hawai’i John A. Burns School of Medicine.
Good luck!

awesome! thanks.

Wow, interview invite today. SS: 7/17, SR: 7/21, II: 8/18, OOS. I really didn't think I'd get this!

Got my interview invite today! I have the PBL orientation tomorrow and hope to do the interviews in the first week of september, (my first interviews).

Since I am OOS I was surprised to even get an invite!

man, i haven't even got a secondary.

interview invite!!

hey guys congrats on the interview~ can you guys post on the interview feedback? I have an interview coming up here as well, and I don't see any feedback from this year. thanks and best of luck!

Anyone else NOT get a secondary yet? Submitted/verified mid/late July.
I did get an email about a week ago saying that they received my primary and to not send anything until they tell me too. I think it might have been because all my LORs were listed on my primary & got sent. Oh well.
Is no secondary the silent rejection?

Anyone else NOT get a secondary yet? Submitted/verified mid/late July.
I did get an email about a week ago saying that they received my primary and to not send anything until they tell me too. I think it might have been because all my LORs were listed on my primary & got sent. Oh well.
Is no secondary the silent rejection?

anyone else verified late july and not received a secondary?

What's considered "significant ties"? Does it count if your bf/fiance's family is from Hawaii? :p

Well it took them over two months to decide not to send me a secondary. I guess it's good that I didn't get an immediate screen, but what was that all about?

Interview invite!! This was the first time I heard back from any medical school I've applied to, so I was very happy for a good start.

I sent them an email right off to schedule my two "off-campus" interview and faxed the letter of rec audit forms today.

Secondary submitted August 27th, one day before the deadline, completed early Sept. OOS (International student), no ties to Hawai'i except I'm from a country from the Pacific rim

How many OOS applicants does the school interview?

Last edited:
There are 83 oos interviews, 6 get in.

The way it works is this:

They award points for each of the 3 parts of the MCAT, 2 for 11+, 1 for 9-10, and also points for GPA, 2 for GPA higher than 3.8 1 for 3.6-3.8. The same standards apply to the sGPA. If you have volunteer EC in medicine they give you 2 more points.

If you get 16 points or more you get an interview.

3 interviews, 2 with docs, NOT AFFILIATED WITH SCHOOL, they give you contact info you call them and set up your own interview appointments at their offices, which are not on campus. Last interview is exit interview with dean of admissions where he explains everything.

Interviewers write up report and recommend acceptance or not. Someone from the admissions committee is assigned to your file, presents it to the entire committee.

Each committee member, votes 1-10 on your file, with 10 being the best. They average your votes and then order them.

Top 6 OOS get in. If your average vote score is 9+ then they will let you know immediately, ie december, if not and you still get in then April, (Hawaii is non rolling admissions).

Good luck.

P.S, skeptic 29, your stats are fantastic, don't screw up the interviews and you should make the cut.

I was not so lucky, as my MCAT is 3 points lower than yours and my second interviewer was an inquisitor who grilled me and tried to trap me at every turn, (examples saying family was important to you meant that you couldn't succeed at an oos school, saying you liked tech meant you were lying about being a compassionate person, saying you support universal healthcare meant you were a communist and wearing a suit meant you had bad judgement)

Last edited:

They award points for each of the 3 parts of the MCAT, 2 for 11+, 1 for 9-10, and also points for GPA, 2 for GPA higher than 3.8 1 for 3.6-3.8. The same standards apply to the sGPA. If you have volunteer EC in medicine they give you 2 more points.

3 interviews, 2 with docs, NOT AFFILIATED WITH SCHOOL, they give you contact info you call them and set up your own interview appointments at their offices, which are not on campus. Last interview is exit interview with dean of admissions where he explains everything.

Interviewers write up report and recommend acceptance or not. Someone from the admissions committee is assigned to your file, presents it to the entire committee.

Each committee member, votes 1-10 on your file, with 10 being the best. They average your votes and then order them.

Top 6 OOS get in. If your average vote score is 9+ then they will let you know immediately, ie december, if not and you still get in then April, (Hawaii is non rolling admissions).

Good luck.

P.S, skeptic 29, your stats are fantastic, don't screw up the interviews and you should make the cut.

I was not so lucky, as my MCAT is 3 points lower than yours and my second interviewer was an inquisitor who grilled me and tried to trap me at every turn, (examples saying family was important to you meant that you couldn't succeed at an oos school, saying you liked tech meant you were lying about being a compassionate person, saying you support universal healthcare meant you were a communist and wearing a suit meant you had bad judgement)

Thanks for the info. Now I'm really nervous about the interviews.
I have my three interviews on October 23rd (fast approaching) and I just spent big bucks buying a plane ticket all the way from Minnesota. It would be a pity to mess up the interview after such investment.

Anyone else being interviewed then?
What's one thing I have to do when I'm in Hawaii?

Good luck.

Thanks a lot for the information. Good luck to you with the application process. I hope you get in.

This isn't necessarily true. Could be either. I had one that wasn't, and one that was actually a faculty member who was very passionate about the school.

would someone mind posting the LOR requirements? I remember last year it was just two from whoever- is it the same this year?

No word yet; however, I'm OOS. I think if you ranked high enough after the committee reviews your file you are notified sooner than everyone else. I remember reading last year there was a SDN'er who found out in early Feb! I think last year people heard around the 3/23 - 3/24.

Good luck to everyone!

Just spoke with Mrs. Nishiki at the admission's office and she said emails were going out today and tomorrow via the AMCAS system :eek:. She said everyone should know by the this weekend. Nothing yet for me. I think they were still celebrating match day so she was pretty peppy on the phone.

Just got the wait list email. Any ideas on how many people are on the wait list? I.S., Avg. Stats... Anyways, I received an acceptance elsewhere and may withdraw my app. from JABSOM pretty soon.

Just got the wait list email. Any ideas on how many people are on the wait list? I.S., Avg. Stats... Anyways, I received an acceptance elsewhere and may withdraw my app. from JABSOM pretty soon.

junk that you got waitlisted at jabsom, but i noticed you got into loma linda, congrats! do you mind sharing your stats? gpa, mcat, etc... thanks!

I'm an oos'er, just got the wait list email today. Anyone know the reasoning behind not letting us know how we rank or how many are on the list? It just seems cruel!

During an informational session I asked Dr. Izutsu this exact question. He basically said that it varies from year to year, there is no set number. I'm guessing that it depends on the number and quality of applicants.

Got the waitlist email on the 18th as well (I'm an OOSer).

Does anyone know if people are ever straight up rejected after an interview? Is everyone just accepted or waitlisted? i.e. Did we at least do well enough to "make" the waitlist or does it not really tell us anything?

Got the waitlist email on the 18th as well (I'm an OOSer).

Does anyone know if people are ever straight up rejected after an interview? Is everyone just accepted or waitlisted? i.e. Did we at least do well enough to "make" the waitlist or does it not really tell us anything?

I'm OOS and got rejection email (post interview) on the 18th :(. Maybe next year...

Congrats to everyone that got in and good luck to all those waitlisted. I tried to search to see how much movement there was on the OOS list; however, there isn't much info on SDN or other websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.