Collecting teeth for d-school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djsux

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recv'd a notice from school stating that I needed to round up ~50 extracted teeth. Has anyone done this already and could recommend the best way to go about this.

I'm planning to visit local dental clinics and see if they are willing to accept a jar (with formilin) to place extracted teeth in. I have heard from ppl that some dentist do not give out extracted teeth due to infection control.

Any thoughts or comments would be most welcome - I doubt that I'm the only one who's about to start doing this.

Cheers & congrats to those who were recently accepted. For those still in the wait, there are a few spots left as ppl shift around.

Hook it up!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I haven't started collecting yet, but I've talked to an oral surgeon about it. I would definetely suggest seeing an oral surgeon if that is possible, as they will get you the teeth much quicker. I think I need around 200 hundred teeth, and he said they could get me that many in about a week. I just need to drop off a jar with the correct solution.

I don't really see that dentists wouldn't give out teeth-its not like they are giving them out to somebody who is going mess with them without proper precautions-I hope so at least :) . In my experience every dentist has been thrilled to help me in anyway they can.

Can I ask which schools you will be attending? I haven't heard anything about collecting teeth and was curious. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
ever see that movie "The Bone Collector?"

yeah! which school is this?

I'll be attending the Medical College of Georgia and we are supposed to collect about 200 teeth too. In the letter that was sent, it said that a lot of them are for anatomy and cavity prep, but about half are for endo. This is for real. :)

Hmm.. I was just at MCG for a seminar where the dean of the dental school gave a speech. There was no mention of collecting teeth. But i guess thats post-acceptance.

Hook17, I pm'ed you.

Having a teeth collection for your own knowledge is also good. I am collecting teeth as well. It seems like every tooth is unique in its own way. I can spend endless time just to observe each. Some have very weird roots (90 degree angle) Also, slicing them out and study the anatomy inside is another experience. Or, for just plain fun, you can line them up and drill and fill them with hydroxy apatate.

I keep my collection in 0.1% Thymol solution. And gamma radiated to kill bacteria, viruses before I handle them.

Have fun collecting

I'd rather play basketball.

You can always try asking graduating dental students....I know a couple that have jars worth that they won't be needing.

Originally posted by yosemitesam
Hook17, I pm'ed you.

Hey sorry I'm new here.. How do i receive your private message?

About 6 inches below the last post there's a drop down menu with the words "Forum Jump" above it. If you scroll to the top of the menu it should say "Private Messages."

Hope it helps.

Originally posted by PashaJ
About 6 inches below the last post there's a drop down menu with the words "Forum Jump" above it. If you scroll to the top of the menu it should say "Private Messages."

Hope it helps.

Thanks bud. And yosemite I pmed you.

what up - the school that I'm collecting for is UTSA for pre-clinical work for those still interested. No need to worry as not all d-schools must not have the same collecting teeth requirements.

according to what my school sent me, the teeth should be stored in 10% formalin or a 10% bleach/water combination if you can't get hooked up with formalin. oh, and your jars o' teeth should be labeled "biohazard" w/ appropriate stickers. So you cruise around town, you can have a back seat full of biohazard jars.

thx for all the info and replies - cheers.