Nursing degree to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciwi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am sure this topic has been mentioned before, but I would like to ask again with my own little twist lol.

I will be a first year Nursing BSN (possibily MSN) Student

I want to become a MD but I am majoring in nursing so I can pay for medical school while I am in medical school. I know that this is possible, but as many of you know, nursing courses are very "limited" in the courses we take and the majority of medical schools require you to have certain classes.

My question is....What courses should I take? What courses will look better in on my transcripts for medical school, and if anyone can give me suggestions, it will be greatly appreciated!

(I am going for nursing, not only so that I can pay down my student loans, but because I am recieving a huge scholarship, leaving me only a few thousand dollars short of going for free to a private college. I said possibily MSN because if I dont get into the medical school I want, I will get my MSN which is only a year more, and try again)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I am sure this topic has been mentioned before, but I would like to ask again with my own little twist lol.

I will be a first year Nursing BSN (possibily MSN) Student

I want to become a MD but I am majoring in nursing so I can pay for medical school while I am in medical school. I know that this is possible, but as many of you know, nursing courses are very "limited" in the courses we take and the majority of medical schools require you to have certain classes.

My question is....What courses should I take? What courses will look better in on my transcripts for medical school, and if anyone can give me suggestions, it will be greatly appreciated!

(I am going for nursing, not only so that I can pay down my student loans, but because I am recieving a huge scholarship, leaving me only a few thousand dollars short of going for free to a private college. I said possibily MSN because if I dont get into the medical school I want, I will get my MSN which is only a year more, and try again)

well, you're going to have to take gbio, gchem, ochem, and phys w/ maybe some biochem as prerequisites. other than that, take some upperdiv science courses, maybe adv.human anatomy or histology or something of the like. other than that, good luck! nursing courses on top of pre-med requisites should be a blast.

well, you're going to have to take gbio, gchem, ochem, and phys w/ maybe some biochem as prerequisites. other than that, take some upperdiv science courses, maybe adv.human anatomy or histology or something of the like. other than that, good luck! nursing courses on top of pre-med requisites should be a blast.

Thanks, and I am looking forward to no sleep and constant studying, luckily I am already practicing that, thanks to my wonderful job right now, 7 days, 8 hours of sleep total.

I know its NOT an easy task, but no one ever said life was easy or going after your dreams would be easy =) Thanks for your help!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
You are making a mistake.

1) most science classes for nurses are not as rigorous as the courses typically taken by pre-meds; this puts you at a disadvantage in med admissions

2) nursing labs and clinicals are a time-sink and can take a toll on gpa putting you at a disadvantage in med admissions

3) working while in medical school is NOT recommended and stating that you intend to do so might make an admissions committee consider you a high risk student.

4) taking a spot in a nursing program without the intention of being a nurse (for more than a couple years) hurts society and contributes to the chronic shortage of nurses (you are taking a spot from someone who would make a 40year career of nursing.) It may raise questions about your ability to commit to any career.

The pre-requisites for med school generally are:
1 year Chemistry with Lab
1 year Organic Chemistry with Lab
1 year modern Biology
1 year Physics with lab
1 year English

I think nursing schools should start signing up contracts so people will have to work for example for at least 5 years after receiving BSN or pay scholarships back. This would discourage all those not intending to stay in nursing.

I think nursing schools should start signing up contracts so people will have to work for example for at least 5 years after receiving BSN or pay scholarships back. This would discourage all those not intending to stay in nursing.

Its not a NURSING scholarship, I just get a better loan if I have my major as nursing, there are 12 more people doing the exact same thing as me, and at my college, there are 17 OPEN seats for nursing majors and the cut off date is this Friday so, there is no chance they will be filled

Ciwi, im doing the exact same thing as you. I just finished my first year of undergrad, mostly doing prerequisites, and my major is also nursing. I am also working on course work for pre- med requirements as well. Sure if i feel that i could do it after getting a feel for med school i might work as nurse when i can. My intentions were origionally to be a nurse and a firefighter( im a part time firefighter/EMT) but I felt that i wanted to be more ambitious with my life and i thought i could be a better service to the world as an MD. I currently work in the ER of a hospital as a patient care tech. I am going to work as a nurse for a little bit and then hopefully as an MD specializing in emergency medicine. I feel that it is important to develop a fully understanding of how the system works as a whole and i am very grateful for these experiences. I feel that going through the nursing course and working in one will make me a better Doc, just as i feel that working as a PCT will make me a better nurse. I feel that my intentions arent THAT bad. I mean half the people in my nursing class just want to be nurse anesthetists just to make a lot of money. Im not in it for the money, i just want to make myself the best i could be. Dont let people intimidate you. If you feel you can do it, more power to you. As long as you work hard and are doing it for the right reasons. PM me if you want

A couple of thoughts...
You are making a mistake.
Your opinion. I disagree somewhat.

1) most science classes for nurses are not as rigorous as the courses typically taken by pre-meds; this puts you at a disadvantage in med admissions
As a BSN-candidate, ciwi should be able to enroll in regular pre-med classes at the main campus.

2) nursing labs and clinicals are a time-sink and can take a toll on gpa putting you at a disadvantage in med admissions
Being a competitive pre-med is never easy regardless of the major. I really don't see how nursing would be any more difficult than an engineering or even some chemistry degree. Ciwi's ability to maintain a high gpa is all about Ciwi.

3) working while in medical school is NOT recommended and stating that you intend to do so might make an admissions committee consider you a high risk student.
Hogwash. Plenty of students take on part-time jobs while in medical school. I had one friend that worked as a perfusionist and another friend that was an active duty cop... all while in medical school. Both go through med school just fine and are in the middle of their respective residencies. So no, having a job does not make you a high risk student.

What makes you a high risk student? Pretty much one of two things:
1. If you have personality/psychiatric issue that interferes with your ability to complete assignments and work with others.
2. If you are performing poorly in your classes. Again, if you are performing poorly... not if you might perform poorly. School administrators have zero problem with students taking on a job, so long as it doesn't compromise your ability to pass your classes.

4) taking a spot in a nursing program without the intention of being a nurse (for more than a couple years) hurts society and contributes to the chronic shortage of nurses (you are taking a spot from someone who would make a 40year career of nursing.) It may raise questions about your ability to commit to any career.
Oh please, this has to be one of the longest standing myths of SDN. Whose spot did Ciwi take? If someone got rejected from the BSN program that Ciwi was accepted to... guess what that rejected person ends up doing? Here's a thought... they go to another BSN program!

And if that same person got rejected to every other BSN program as well? RN programs. Then, LPN... then MA... etc etc.

Bottom line: there are NO shortage of training spots for nurses. Nobody is taking anyone's spot. If someone wants to be a career nurse, there is nothing preventing that person from doing so.

Actually my nursing program is set up so that all of your nursing classes are on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This leaves me plenty of room MWF for my upper level science classes. In fact will all my science pre-reqs i am actually minoring in chemistry with maybe 1 extra class a semester. And not to mention i work full time nights in the ER. I just made the deans list last semester. But once again its all on Ciwi

Oh come on. Thats ridiculous and you know it. Why should nursing students be held up to a different standard than anyone else?

What nursing schools should do is thoroughly warn their students of the many ugly realities of their future job. 25% of all nursing graduates quit within a year of graduation. Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure most of that 25% aren't quitting for medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
A couple of thoughts...

Your opinion. I disagree somewhat.

As a BSN-candidate, ciwi should be able to enroll in regular pre-med classes at the main campus.

Being a competitive pre-med is never easy regardless of the major. I really don't see how nursing would be any more difficult than an engineering or even some chemistry degree. Ciwi's ability to maintain a high gpa is all about Ciwi.

Hogwash. Plenty of students take on part-time jobs while in medical school. I had one friend that worked as a perfusionist and another friend that was an active duty cop... all while in medical school. Both go through med school just fine and are in the middle of their respective residencies. So no, having a job does not make you a high risk student.

What makes you a high risk student? Pretty much one of two things:
1. If you have personality/psychiatric issue that interferes with your ability to complete assignments and work with others.
2. If you are performing poorly in your classes. Again, if you are performing poorly... not if you might perform poorly. School administrators have zero problem with students taking on a job, so long as it doesn't compromise your ability to pass your classes.

Oh please, this has to be one of the longest standing myths of SDN. Whose spot did Ciwi take? If someone got rejected from the BSN program that Ciwi was accepted to... guess what that rejected person ends up doing? Here's a thought... they go to another BSN program!

And if that same person got rejected to every other BSN program as well? RN programs. Then, LPN... then MA... etc etc.

Bottom line: there are NO shortage of training spots for nurses. Nobody is taking anyone's spot. If someone wants to be a career nurse, there is nothing preventing that person from doing so.

I would take Pre-med, but my school doesn't offer it. And you made really good points. (and for everyone who thinks this is a bad mistake, my doctor was a nurse before a MD, and I know of quite a few people doing so)

I would take Pre-med, but my school doesn't offer it. And you made really good points. (and for everyone who thinks this is a bad mistake, my doctor was a nurse before a MD, and I know of quite a few people doing so)
Well really pre med is just a set of classes that help prepare you for the MCAT. its 1 year each(2 semesters) of physics, biology, inorganic chemistry and organic chemistry all with labs. Thats like the minimum requirement you will see at med schools too.

Honestly just switch now to pre-med...thats what i did, i was a nursing student for 2 years and during one of my clinicals a nurse told me its easier in the long run to just switch while i still had 2 years of undergrad left. After talking with our pre-health professions coordiantor he pretty much said the same because nursing science classes are really not as high level as the pre-med ones, and its true comming from someone who has experienced both! either way good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
We had two nurses in my graduating class. Both finished med school with flying colors. One is currently an emergency medicine resident, the other anesthesiology. :thumbup:

Well really pre med is just a set of classes that help prepare you for the MCAT. its 1 year each(2 semesters) of physics, biology, inorganic chemistry and organic chemistry all with labs. Thats like the minimum requirement you will see at med schools too.

Ditto... I see the same thing all the time. There are a couple of nurses I know that got into nearly all the schools she applied to, which were mostly top schools.

Dude... I don't care if nurses go to MDs. By all means, if this is what they want to do. I was talking more from a possible perspective of the government trying to figure out the way to fix this nursing shortage.
Forcing nurses to sign 5 year contracts is only going to exacerbate the problem.

I think the best solution is to offer incentives to stay as a nurse. For example: tuition reimbursement/loan forgiveness (the latter of which will already be available through the gov't this July), sweetened pension plan and possibly even stock options in the hospital.

I agree with you on warning of the realities, but the schools actually sugarcoat everything.
Uh, ya really think??? :p

(and for everyone who thinks this is a bad mistake, my doctor was a nurse before a MD, and I know of quite a few people doing so)

Terpskins99 is exaggrating when he say that PLENTY of medstudents work part time jobs. Out of the hundreds of medstudents at his school he has TWO friends that works.Most medstudents DONT have part time jobs and those who do have pt job work ~ 8hrs a week or have jobs when classes are NOT in session. Most people rather be studying or relaxing than working in their spare time. You cant work enough hrs during medschool to even make a dent in you medschool debt. At best, you can pay the interest but most people would agree that its not worth it. Working as a nurse for a few years before starting medschool and saving would be better than working during medschool if you wanted to lower your debt.

To be honest I dont think being a nurse will make you any better at being a doctor than any other major. If one major made you better to practice medicine than another, then pre meds wouldnt be allow to choose what ever major they wanted. I doubt there's anything that you would've as a nurse that you would'nt have learn as a doctor.

Doing nursing as a premed major or any major that requires you to enter a program is harder than other major. For most majors student have for yrs to pre med classes. You only have two yrs to get your premed, prenursing and core classes finish. Most BSN WONT let you take other classes after you enter the program. You're most likey end up doing amd extra 1-2 yr of schooling for a degree you wont even use. And if you want to be a practicing nurse you will have to study and pay for the NCLEX which takes time and money from studying for the MCAT and completeing your AMCAS.

Terpskins99 wrong about you not taking someone spot. Unless the number of applicants to nursing is less than or equal to the number of spots available then ciwi IS taking someone spot.

Last edited:
To comment on the last guy's post, I do think being a nurse would make you a better doctor. I strongly believe that experiencing the same thing from multiple perspectives (e.g., health care as both a nurse and doctor) is very helpful. You're more likely to sympathize with nurses and their concerns, and at the same time keep them honest because you've been in their situation as well.

That said, I can't imagine working as a nurse during med school. Sure, having a part time job is one thing, but can you really even do nursing part time? Even if you can, I doubt you can do it with less than 20 hours a week, and even that many would be a challenge while school was in session.

Like erdavis said, if you really believe in the path you're taking, I would revise it slightly and work as a nurse for several years to save money and then apply/go to med school. That way you get a more complete experience as a nurse, and can actually make a reasonable contribution to the cost of your education.

If you want to do nursing and go to medschool then you can. To me its take a harder and long route that need be. If your main reasons to doing nursing is to be a better doc and a scholarship then I dont think its worth it.

FYI: I've a been on SDN for a short period of time so I could be wrong. But I've read on a recent thread here that LizzyM was on an admission comittee at top medical school. I'm not saying she cant be wrong but I would (and I think you would too) value someone's opinion who ACTUALLY interviews medstudents and know what medschools are looking over other SDNers who are less quailfied to give advice on the subject.

Edit: Schemp I agree that two prespectives of healthcare is better than one. My point of view is more direct and your is more indirect. I still stand by what I say before that being a nurse doesnt make you a better doctor.

From my POV people with BSN/MD may be a more understanding co-workers as a doctor because of thier BSN, but they dont gain a extra set of skills by being a nurse that signficantly improves thier skills in treating and caring for thier patients as doctors. That's why I said I dont think being a nurse makes one a better doctor.

But still cant completely disagree with you because I cant deny that BSN/MD can beneficial to doctors.

Last edited:
I understand what you mean, and think for a process that already takes a very long time, adding 2-4 years to it just doesn't seem reasonable. I wouldn't do it personally, but if Ciwi is set on this for some reason, I figured I would point out some possible benefits to it.

Terpskins99 is exaggrating when he say that PLENTY of medstudents work part time jobs. Out of the hundreds of medstudents at his school he has TWO friends that works.Most medstudents DONT have part time jobs and those who do have pt job work ~ 8hrs a week or have jobs when classes are NOT in session. Most people rather be studying or relaxing than working in their spare time. You cant work enough hrs during medschool to even make a dent in you medschool debt. At best, you can pay the interest but most people would agree that its not worth it. Working as a nurse for a few years before starting medschool and saving would be better than working during medschool if you wanted to lower your debt.

To be honest I dont think being a nurse will make you any better at being a doctor than any other major. If one major made you better to practice medicine than another, then pre meds wouldnt be allow to choose what ever major they wanted. I doubt there's anything that you would've as a nurse that you would'nt have learn as a doctor.

Doing nursing as a premed major or any major that requires you to enter a program is harder than other major. For most majors student have for yrs to pre med classes. You only have two yrs to get your premed, prenursing and core classes finish. Most BSN WONT let you take other classes after you enter the program. You're most likey end up doing amd extra 1-2 yr of schooling for a degree you wont even use. And if you want to be a practicing nurse you will have to study and pay for the NCLEX which takes time and money from studying for the MCAT and completeing your AMCAS.

Terpskins99 wrong about you not taking someone spot. Unless the number of applicants to nursing is less than or equal to the number of spots available then ciwi IS taking someone spot.

Thank you all for your comments. I am not taking anyone’s spot, my school still has seats open and the cutoff date is Friday. Not a lot of people are willing to pay 32,000 a year for nursing.

For my school's BSN, you start freshman year taking nursing classes. But there are 2 free electives a semester, so taking extra science courses although a challenge, doesn't affect my nursing classes.

I do want to point out that I am working as a nurse for 2-3 years, to pay off my student loans study for the mcat, and save for medical school. Now I, in no way think that as a nurse I can even come close to making a dent into paying for med school, but It will help.

I believe that doctors who were previously nurses, allows the doctor have a better understanding of what nurses have to go through, which will help respect them a lot better. NO OFFENCE, but doctors are known for treating nurses like something they stepped on in the parking lot on the way into work. I am a CNA right now, and I have seen nurses break down and cry because of the doctor’s remarks and opinion. And even though it’s hard for most doctors to accept, nurses do know more when they are right out of medical school, and when the nurses try to help, they get treated horribly. Again, no offence intended.

Actually, those guys are the only ones I bothered to mention. P-L-E-N-T-Y of students (about 1/3rd of my class) hold other jobs that are significantly less time-intensive such as tutoring/manning the computer lab/working-in-the-bookstore...etc etc. Its all about what you can handle.

Spare us the guilt trip, ok? Were YOU planning to be a nurse? Ciwi isn't taking anyone's spot and you know it. Anyone that wants to be a nurse CAN be a nurse. This isn't medical school where there are only 18,000 slots for over 40,000 applicants.

Anyone that wants to be a nurse CAN be a nurse. This isn't medical school where there are only 18,000 slots for over 40,000 applicants.

I am not sure where you went for undergrad, but every school I know has lots of students wanting to enter nursing program and some schools even have a waiting list. Some student have to wait for a year or two after being accepted to start the program.

Getting in is surely not as competative as medical schools, but people still have to sweat to get into nursing program if they really want to go there.

I was actually pretty surprised to hear that the OP's school had empty seats.

Last edited:
You're wrong and you just don't know that you don't know it :p. I am not sure where you went for undergrad, but every school I know has lots of students wanting to enter nursing program and some schools even have a waiting list. Some student have to wait for a year or two after being accepted to start the program.

Getting in is surely not as competative as medical schools, but people still have to sweat to get into nursing program if they really want to go there.

I was actually pretty surprised to hear that the OP's school had empty seats.

Yeah there are a lot of seats open! I have posted on nursing forms about it not having a waiting list and direct admission to nursing. There are down sides 1 being its a private college (tuition around 32,000) 2 small college (2500 students) 3 ubran area of Buffalo, NY. I have helped 4 people from that form get into that college, its not extremely hard, but they require a 2.75 gpa before being admitted.

One of the HUGE reasons why they are still seats open, is because people are finding out #1 there are NO JOBS in hospitals as nurses (yes there is a shortage, but no one is hiring esp in the north east). There are many new graduates of nursing for this year that arent working in the nursing field, most not even in health care. They are hiring in some places, but WHO wants to move to Texas for a nursing job making 19-22 an hour. Most places are getting rid of loan forgiveness, if not already done so. Most nursing graduates are going back for their masters. The majority of nursing students are wanting to be a CRNA which isn't a bad choice seeing as by 2020 more than half the CRNA field will hit retirement age, so not only will we have a nursing shortage, we are going to have a huge shortage of CRNA's which is going to do nothing but drive up health care cost. Even though I am taking up a EMPTY spot, im not preventing ANYONE from becoming a nurse. It isn't my fault they don't have the grades to be accepted, I studied HARD to get my GPA, so even if (by some chance) they do admit people who don't have the grades to be in the nursing porgam at my school, why should I give up my seat, because someone slacked off in high school???

The contract thing is hilarious, that would never happen, and why should nurses be the only ones who get it? Why not everyone?? Can't make one major sign a contract without making all of them!

Last edited:
ciwi, sounds like you have a good plan then. Do your BSN while keeping you ultimate goal in mind and you will make a good and respectful of nurses doctor.

Last edited:
It really depends on where the geography is. In my area, everywhere I apply, there is at least twenty spots open for RNs. They are so desperate, they have these huge sign-on bonuses. And, in my area, the competition to get in is virtually non-existent. I could get in right now if I wanted. :ponder ponder: ;)

Anyway, are you wanting to be nurse for more than just a year or month and then apply right away in an sense? (seems like a waste of time)

Or, are you going to go apply for med school after a good amount of time in nursing? (sounds like a reasonable life plan to me)

If you aren't so sure yet, then why not shadow for a couple of weeks in a hospital and see what appeals to you more. This would help you decide and would save a lot of time. I know you think it will appeal to med schools, which is does. So, if you don't mind working for about 4-5+ years as a nurse. Then, I would say go for it. Because, it does give you that extra exposure to help you decide if you REALLY want to be a doctor, which seems to be the case for a lot of the nurses that go into med school.

Actually, those guys are the only ones I bothered to mention. P-L-E-N-T-Y of students (about 1/3rd of my class) hold other jobs that are significantly less time-intensive such as tutoring/manning the computer lab/working-in-the-bookstore...etc etc. Its all about what you can handle.

Spare us the guilt trip, ok? Were YOU planning to be a nurse? Ciwi isn't taking anyone's spot and you know it. Anyone that wants to be a nurse CAN be a nurse. This isn't medical school where there are only 18,000 slots for over 40,000 applicants.

No one is trying to guilty trip anyone. And if you are feeling guilty or think someone is trying to make you feel guilty maybe its because you know Im right. Nursing isnt as competive as medschool but it competive none the less.

I know a few people who tutor and do easy pt jobs in medschool. But to give ciwi the impression that she could work pt as a nurse during medschool was wrong and you know!

To OP: In my first post I said UNLESS the number of applicants is less than or equal to the number of spot then you would be taking that someone spot. Your program seem to be atypical and actually having more spot than applicants. So your not taking anyones spot.

But dont be under the delusion that doctors treat nurses badly. Everyone has a story about some on jackass doctor who mistreat nurses. These doctors are the minority not the majority. Most doctors and nurses work great together.

Like I said to Schemp I cant deny that having a BSN/MD have certain benefits as a doctor but I dont need be a nurse do understand nurses a doctor. As a openminded and caring adult I can be emphatic to all people and see world from their shoes without having to actually walk in their shoes.

You are free to choose whatever path to medicine you wish because ultimately it is you and not us who will have to travel it. If nursing is for you then by all means you should go for it.

Last edited:
No one is trying to guilty trip anyone. And if you are feeling guilty or think someone is trying to make you feel guilty maybe its because you know Im right. Nursing isnt as competive as medschool but it competive none the less.

I know a few people who tutor and do easy pt jobs in medschool. But to give ciwi the impression that she could work pt as a nurse during medschool was wrong and you know!
What would I feel a "guilty trip"? :laugh: The bottom line is, I don't think ciwi is doing anything wrong. You're the one trying to make this person feel bad about being in nursing school. ciwi earned her spot. Just how you earned your spot in medical school. It wasn't GIVEN to you for some arbitrary assumption that you take your degree and head out to Africa or Timbucktu to heal the sick for free.

How would you feel if someone told you you weren't allowed to pursue a sub-specialty because there is a greater need for primary care physicians? Would you be ok with losing your seat in med school for someone else with weaker stats because that other person intended to go into family medicine?

What would I feel a "guilty trip"? :laugh: The bottom line is, I don't think ciwi is doing anything wrong. You're the one trying to make this person feel bad about being in nursing school. ciwi earned her spot. Just how you earned your spot in medical school. It wasn't GIVEN to you for some arbitrary assumption that you take your degree and head out to Africa or Timbucktu to heal the sick for free.

How would you feel if someone told you you weren't allowed to pursue a sub-specialty because there is a greater need for primary care physicians? Would you be ok with losing your seat in med school for someone else with weaker stats because that other person intended to go into family medicine?

When did I tell ciwi she wasnt allowed to do nursing or to give up her spot. Dont put words in my mouth. I gave Ciwi reason why I thought nursing would be longer/ hard road than need be to pursue medicine. What I did say was that you were lying to say she's not taking someone's spot when there are more applicants applying to her program than spot available. This is a true statement.

But from ciwi post I know she not taking anyone's spot because there arent enough qualified people applying to her program. If ciwi program was like most nursing program that have thousands of applicant for a few spots then I would stand by what I said before and say she was taking someone's spot.

Anyway, I wasnt trying to make ciwi feel bad about her choice go to nursing school nor did I say or mean to imply she didnt earn/deserve her spot or scholarship. Im sorry if ciwi took it that way. I wasnt trying to offend her.

If I knew a incoming medstudents who didnt really want be a doctor, I would tell them that they are taking someone"s spot because well,they are. But I would never say to them that they didnt earn or deserve their spots because that is for adcoms and not for me to decide.

Last edited:
But from ciwi post I know she not taking anyone's spot because there arent enough qualified people applying to her program. If ciwi program was like most nursing program that have thousands of applicant for a few spots then I would stand by what I said before and say she was taking someone's spot.
What in the world are you talking about? Name me these ultra-exclusive nursing programs. I'd love to hear 'em.

You have got to be one of the flakiest med students I've ever come across on SDN. Assuming, of course, that you're actually a med student. You make it seem that getting into nursing school is more difficult than med school. :p

if LizzyM's first words to you are "youre making a mistake"

then youre probably making a mistake. but all things are possible, no need to take her word as gospel... it's just better to take an easier route.

Ciwi sounds like she doesn't have quite the experience to be making these decisions yet. So, I would say once she is in the game, she will figure out soon enough. The med students study WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more than pre-meds, which says a lot to those of us(pre-meds) who are already studying constantly.

Nursing takes a lot of time and energy, which is almost completely ripped away during third year.

I would go into nursing by itself. But, I wouldn't combine med school with nursing on the side. That would just be unbearable.

What in the world are you talking about? Name me these ultra-exclusive nursing programs. I'd love to hear 'em.

You have got to be one of the flakiest med students I've ever come across on SDN. Assuming, of course, that you're actually a med student. You make it seem that getting into nursing school is more difficult than med school. :p

Ha your ignorance amazes me. Most nursing school accepted students in the fall and the spring and some even the summer. So you dont think over a thousands applicants can apply to one program in a year. And most nursing program take around 30 students each time so there are a lot of people who apply and dont get in.

Once a again dont put works in my mouth. Did I say anything about ultra exclusive nursing programs. Nursing programs are not competitive because they are ultra selective ( but there are ones who are) but mainly because of the applicants to seats ratio.

Futhermore did you actually read my posts! How in the hell did you make it out of medschool without knowing how to comprehend simple sentences. Did you read where I said nursing is competitive in its own right but less competitive than medical.

And assuming that you did graduate from medschool, for you to think nursing isnt competitive ridiculous and shows your ignorance about healthcare. Nursing may not be big where you are at or from but in most parts of the country it is and you should know that.

Terpskins99 you have made this thread memorable to me but at last I grow bored of you and your idiotic attacks against my opinions. So I bid you and this thread farewell and Im off to watch Transformers which is such a better use of my time.

Last edited:
I just wanted to point out that whatever you could save up in the 2 years working as a nurse while studying for the mcat or whatever won't even make the most miniscule dent in your cost of education. don't even bother with it.

borrow it and go into huge debt like everyone else does.

Nursing shortage a national security threat? Seriously? Lol, the Neo-Cons can make anything a national security threat, farting will be considered chemical warfare soon.

The OP can major in whateve he/she likes. She is paying for it, and even if she does have a scholarship, she has EARNED the right to take someones spot. Someone would have her spot if they were a more qualified applicant. I dont see why she cant follow her BSN coursework and complete her med school pre-reqs over the next 2-3 years, maybe doing it over the summers off campus.

I personally would not put off med school for 2-3 years in order to pay back loans. In the long run I dont think it makes financial sense, since you stated you will have a relatively small amount of loans, if any at all. Therefore, the 2-3 years spent working and paying off loans or even banking the money, will not outweigh the 2-3 years of lost wages as a future attending physician. I.E. if you are delaying 2-3 years of a $250,000/yr salary.

Good luck to the OP....

I had an idea...We dont have enough journalists reporting news, I think that journalism majors should have to sign 10 year contracts where they must work for a news agency. Not having enough news is a threat to national security.

Keep in mind that applicants who change careers are going to be asked why they prepared for one career then switched gears. Some majors put an emphasis on vocational training (i.e. you are eligible to take a licensing exam upon completion of a course of study) and are those most likely to raise such questions.

Keep in mind that applicants who change careers are going to be asked why they prepared for one career then switched gears. Some majors put an emphasis on vocational training (i.e. you are eligible to take a licensing exam upon completion of a course of study) and are those most likely to raise such questions.

+1

You sometimes get this question with engineering as well. If you do decide to do this nursing/premed thing OP you need to have a compelling reason why MD is what you want to do vice nursing. (and you are going to need to be specific, you will need to talk about what you would get out of being a doctor instead of a nurse and how you will be able to contribute as a doctor instead of a nurse)

+1

You sometimes get this question with engineering as well. If you do decide to do this nursing/premed thing OP you need to have a compelling reason why MD is what you want to do vice nursing. (and you are going to need to be specific, you will need to talk about what you would get out of being a doctor instead of a nurse and how you will be able to contribute as a doctor instead of a nurse)

I am doing the same thing as the OP, im pretty sure we go to the same school actually. The reason why I am going nursing, is because our school doesn't offer a premed major or advisor. We get to take a year of anatomy, gross anatomy if we want to, pathophysiology, pharmacology which are for nursing school majors only

I am doing the same thing as the OP, im pretty sure we go to the same school actually. The reason why I am going nursing, is because our school doesn't offer a premed major or advisor. We get to take a year of anatomy, gross anatomy if we want to, pathophysiology, pharmacology which are for nursing school majors only

Those classes are fine but cell biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, and statistics would be considered far more demanding courses and more relevant as preparation for medical school.

How many grads from your school matriculated to medical school this year? You may have gotten yourself into an uphill climb by going to a school not known for preparing medical students and choosing a major that isn't highly regarded by adcoms. (Take a look at the proportion of "specialized health sciences" majors who get into medical school in comparison to other majors).

This are the courses required for a nursing major, along with the courses I need for Med School. Any suggestions would be helpful

Fall year 1

Bio 107 Anatomy & Physiology
BIO 107L Anatomy & Physoiolgy Lab
ENG 111 English Comm 1.
PSY 101 General Psychology OR
PSY 203 Developmental Psychology
NUR 100 Into to profressional Nursing
FOC 101 Focus Seminar

Spring year 1

BIO 108 Anatomy & Physiology
BIO 108L Anatomy & Physiology
CHEM 114 CHEM FOR HEALTH SCIENCES
CHEM 114L Chem lab
ENG 112 English Comm 2
HIS 103 Comp world Civ OR
HIS 203 Am Econ & Social OR
HIS 204 History to/since 1865 OR
HIS 111 Growth of Western culture
SOC 101 Principles of sociology OR
SOC 102 Social problems

Fall Year 2

BIO 208 Microbiology
BIO 208L Microbiology Lab
NTR 325 Nutrition
CSC 110 Computer Science
PSY 206 Abnormal Psychology
MGT 305 Principles in Management

Spring Year 2

BIO 307 Pathophysiology
NUR 333 Pharmacology
NUR 230WIP Professional Nursing II
NUR 230L Clinical II
PHI 201 Ethics OR
RS 201 Religion & Social respons
HUMANITIES ELECTIVE**

Fall Year 3

MAT 123 Intro to Applied Statistics
NUR 330 Professional Nursing III
NUR 330L Clinical III
FREE ELECTIVE

Spring Year 3

ECO 201 Princ of Econ- Macro OR
ECO 202 Princ of Econ- Micro OR
PSC 201 201 Am Gov & Economics
NUR 420 Professional Nursing IV
NUR 420L Clinical IV
NUR 314 Nursing Research
HUMANITIES ELECTIVE**

Fall year 4

NUR 430 Professional Nursing V
NUR 430L Clinical
HUMANITIES ELECTIVE**
FREE ELECTIVE
FREE ELECTIVE

Spring year 4

NUR 450 Professional Nursing VI
NUR 450L Clinical VI
HRM 309 Prin Hum Res Man OR
MGT 435 Health Care Management
HUMANITIES ELECTIVE**
HUMANITIES ELECTIVE**

Courses to meet med school pre req

CHEM 101 General Chemistry 3 cred
CHEM 101L Lab 1 cred
CHEM 102 General Chemistry 3 cred
CHEM 102L Lab 1 cred
CHEM 219 Organic Chemistry 3 cred
CHEM 219L Lab 1 cred
CHEM 220 Orangic Chemistry 2 3 cred
CHEM 220L Lab 1 cred
CHEM 311 Physical Chem 1 3 cred
CHEM 312 Physical Chem 2 3 cred
CHEM 313 Physical Chem LAB 2 cred
PHY 101 General Physics 3 cred
PHY 101L Lab 1 cred
PHY 102 General Physics (PHY 101 Contin.) 3 cred
PHY 102L Lab 1 cred

In order to have access to those classes I have to have the following courses

MAT 101 Elementry Algebra
MAT 122 Algebra and Trigonometry
MAT 125 Calculus I
MAT 126 Calculus II

Its highly suggested to take:
MAT 202 Calculus III

This are the courses required for a nursing major, along with the courses I need for Med School. Any suggestions would be helpful

Fall year 1

Bio 107 Anatomy & Physiology
BIO 107L Anatomy & Physoiolgy Lab
ENG 111 English Comm 1.
PSY 101 General Psychology OR
PSY 203 Developmental Psychology
NUR 100 Into to profressional Nursing
FOC 101 Focus Seminar

Spring year 1

BIO 108 Anatomy & Physiology
BIO 108L Anatomy & Physiology
CHEM 114 CHEM FOR HEALTH SCIENCES
CHEM 114L Chem lab
ENG 112 English Comm 2
HIS 103 Comp world Civ OR
HIS 203 Am Econ & Social OR
HIS 204 History to/since 1865 OR
HIS 111 Growth of Western culture
SOC 101 Principles of sociology OR
SOC 102 Social problems

Fall Year 2

BIO 208 Microbiology
BIO 208L Microbiology Lab
NTR 325 Nutrition
CSC 110 Computer Science
PSY 206 Abnormal Psychology
MGT 305 Principles in Management

Spring Year 2

BIO 307 Pathophysiology
NUR 333 Pharmacology
NUR 230WIP Professional Nursing II
NUR 230L Clinical II
PHI 201 Ethics OR
RS 201 Religion & Social respons
HUMANITIES ELECTIVE**

Fall Year 3

MAT 123 Intro to Applied Statistics
NUR 330 Professional Nursing III
NUR 330L Clinical III
FREE ELECTIVE

Spring Year 3

ECO 201 Princ of Econ- Macro OR
ECO 202 Princ of Econ- Micro OR
PSC 201 201 Am Gov & Economics
NUR 420 Professional Nursing IV
NUR 420L Clinical IV
NUR 314 Nursing Research
HUMANITIES ELECTIVE**

Fall year 4

NUR 430 Professional Nursing V
NUR 430L Clinical
HUMANITIES ELECTIVE**
FREE ELECTIVE
FREE ELECTIVE

Spring year 4

NUR 450 Professional Nursing VI
NUR 450L Clinical VI
HRM 309 Prin Hum Res Man OR
MGT 435 Health Care Management
HUMANITIES ELECTIVE**
HUMANITIES ELECTIVE**

CHEM 101L Lab 1 cred
CHEM 102L Lab 1 cred
CHEM 219L Lab 1 cred
CHEM 220L Lab 1 cred
PHY 101 General Physics 3 cred
PHY 101L Lab 1 cred
PHY 102 General Physics (PHY 101 Contin.) 3 cred
PHY 102L Lab 1 cred

In order to have access to those classes I have to have the following courses

MAT 101 Elementry Algebra
MAT 122 Algebra and Trigonometry
MAT 125 Calculus I
MAT 126 Calculus II

Its highly suggested to take:
MAT 202 Calculus III

You don't need Physical Chem to get into any med school that I have ever heard of. Most undergrad physics classes 1 and 2 (not for scientists/engineers) do not require Calculus.

Thanks, I think I saw Physical Chem on one medical school as being suggested but not required. So I will take that off the list......

My school requires Calculus 1 and 2 before being allowed to take physics

Thanks, I think I saw Physical Chem on one medical school as being suggested but not required. So I will take that off the list......

My school requires Calculus 1 and 2 before being allowed to take physics

I seldom recommend this but your situation justifies taking Physics I and II in summer school. You'll work like a dog but you won't be jammed up with Calc I and II on top of everything else. Much better to take stats.

I seldom recommend this but your situation justifies taking Physics I and II in summer school. You'll work like a dog but you won't be jammed up with Calc I and II on top of everything else. Much better to take stats.

I am looking at the summer schedule, they dont offer physics for summer :mad:
they do offer calculus 1 and calculus 2 that can be finished in one summer

For admission to med school, you will need:
Biology
General chemistry
Organic chemistry
Physics

Most medical schools will also require:
Genetics (this material is on the MCAT)
Biochemistry (my school required this class)

As someone mentioned before, physical chemistry is not required. I don't think cell biology or microbiology are required at most schools. Anatomy and Histology is not.
CHEM 101L Lab 1 cred
CHEM 102L Lab 1 cred
CHEM 219L Lab 1 cred
CHEM 220L Lab 1 cred