Doctors in Training Step II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njshibby

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone try this yet? I know a lot of his material is predicated on his past students so he might working the kinks out of it, but if it's as good as the step 1 material I'm buying.

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, a lot of these systems are gimics. They can be helpful to students who require some direction or organization but it's not as if they provide better information. Most of these study plans incorporate books like Boards and Wards or Secrets rather than write their own

In my experience, a lot of these systems are gimics. They can be helpful to students who require some direction or organization but it's not as if they provide better information. Most of these study plans incorporate books like Boards and Wards or Secrets rather than write their own

I definitely require direction..but no joke his step I class did that + added and emphasized topics that I saw on my test. Plus it was no small feat to keep me focused to every word in First Aid and this program + his quizes did it. Just wanted to know if anyone had a similar step 2 experience.

Edit: Just for clarification this isn't a system per se more a review class like kaplan but based around one text + his materials based on the text ( i think he uses step up for step 2 instead of FA)

I was one of the students that took the live class when they were filming for the web-based product. I took the class in prep more for the COMLEX Level 2 and just in case I needed USMLE Step 2.

At first, it seemed like all he was doing was reading the book to us very quickly and throwing in some information from a previous product he had produced and I almost quit on the last day I could get a refund (I think it
was the fourth session).

I'm glad I stayed with it. It helped keep me focused and after about the 1/2 way point, a lot of the material just started really sticking and it was evident on how many answers I had correct on the daily review quizzes. Saturation training works.

I haven't take the USMLE Step 2 yet but I can tell you that I have been pimped by residents and attendings on my emergency clerkship and a lot
of what Dr. Jenkins taught me has made me shine. I mean down to second and third level questions like the different dosages of calcium gluconate vs calcium citrate when other students had no clue.

In all, I'd do it again. What I wouldn't do would be to have too much time in the run up to my exam. He gets through an insane amount of material in a short time. I found myself taking entire days to get through what he went through in 5 hours since I was basically memorizing and looking up things I didn't understand. Therefore I had no time to reinforce with practice Q's and wound up taking another two weeks to do practice Q's right before my exam.
If you take the internet version, what I would recommend would be to do a section as slow as you need to for memory work, solidfy with practice Q's and then move on to the next section. Work some sets of random Q's in the mix. Hopefully you can buy enough access time to his material for this to work.

Again, just my $0.02 and YMMV, standard disclaimers apply....

Members don't see this ad :)
I was one of the students that took the live class when they were filming for the web-based product. I took the class in prep more for the COMLEX Level 2 and just in case I needed USMLE Step 2.

At first, it seemed like all he was doing was reading the book to us very quickly and throwing in some information from a previous product he had produced and I almost quit on the last day I could get a refund (I think it
was the fourth session).

I'm glad I stayed with it. It helped keep me focused and after about the 1/2 way point, a lot of the material just started really sticking and it was evident on how many answers I had correct on the daily review quizzes. Saturation training works.

I haven't take the USMLE Step 2 yet but I can tell you that I have been pimped by residents and attendings on my emergency clerkship and a lot
of what Dr. Jenkins taught me has made me shine. I mean down to second and third level questions like the different dosages of calcium gluconate vs calcium citrate when other students had no clue.

In all, I'd do it again. What I wouldn't do would be to have too much time in the run up to my exam. He gets through an insane amount of material in a short time. I found myself taking entire days to get through what he went through in 5 hours since I was basically memorizing and looking up things I didn't understand. Therefore I had no time to reinforce with practice Q's and wound up taking another two weeks to do practice Q's right before my exam.
If you take the internet version, what I would recommend would be to do a section as slow as you need to for memory work, solidfy with practice Q's and then move on to the next section. Work some sets of random Q's in the mix. Hopefully you can buy enough access time to his material for this to work.

Again, just my $0.02 and YMMV, standard disclaimers apply....

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I considered this based on the reviews above but now I can see this wouldn't help someone like me. This reminds me of the Northwestern medical review. I didn't find it to be effective because the person essentially read off a powerpoint quickly but many of my classmates really got a lot out of it because he covered a lot of material in a short time like you mentioned.

Last edited:
I took the Step 1 class and found it very helpful. I got through the information much faster than I would have on my own without someone pushing me to get certain things accomplished every night. It also put my mind at ease since I didn't have to worry that I was missing some huge thing or trying to guess what might be on there- I'd decided to trust someone else to tell me that.

I didn't sign up for his class for step 2. This was (in part) because at the time I was taking step 1, he didn't offer a step 2 class beyond some emails you could sign up for throughout the year to motivate you to remember information that wasn't on your current clerkship. He also stated he didn't feel you needed anything else for step 2. I don't know what changed over the next year. Could have been he realized step 2 has assumed a lot more importance in application season than it used to, could have been he realized there was income potential from step 2 as well as step 1 because we are more concerned about it than previous applicants have been.

Even with that, I might have signed up for it, but the way the schedule was set up for the on-site class seemed very......lax compared to the step 1 class. It seemed like class only met 3 days a week, which for me wouldn't have provided the external motivation the step 1 class did.

i know that for the step 2 training course, you only have access to the videos for 1 month. But can you download the videos and watch them as much as you want? Just wondering because I'd want to have access to the videos for longer than 1 month.

i know that for the step 2 training course, you only have access to the videos for 1 month. But can you download the videos and watch them as much as you want? Just wondering because I'd want to have access to the videos for longer than 1 month.

You can purchase extra weeks for the course, but you cannot download the videos.

yeah he only adds 30 points to your score via web videos...definitely not worth your time.

OK, so seriously. Has anyone had experience for Step II with DIT... Ive heard plenty of step I successes however yet to hear of his step II videos.:confused:

I too would like to know if anyone had experience with DIT for step2. I did not use it for step 1 but I have heard great things from people who have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey a bit off topic, but I have a question about step 2 videos. I have the '01 version and want to know what's the latest videos and if there are more recent ones where can I download them from? If you can help I would really appreciate it. Also what's your take on using UW whole watching the videos? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

I also am planning on buying DIT. Any suggestions of was this beneficial to anyone?

bad customer service (i mean shiiittty), the guy just reads (is really annoying), materials are inferior to world. I am not sure why the dude is still in business. you are probably better off doing step-up to medicine +world and or the new kaplan qbank plus (they seemed to have added a whole lot to their explanations--mabye to compete with world, but great qbank).

don't waste your money with that texas crap..

bad customer service (i mean shiiittty), the guy just reads (is really annoying), materials are inferior to world. I am not sure why the dude is still in business. you are probably better off doing step-up to medicine +world and or the new kaplan qbank plus (they seemed to have added a whole lot to their explanations--mabye to compete with world, but great qbank).

They say their average was a 239 though ....

when do you plan to watch the videos? how long before you get the binder?

I'll be taking the test in late July, watching the videos for the month before hand. I expect to get the stuff probably a few weeks before the course starts.

I will be using UWorld alongside the course. I'm not sure what other materials I'll be using if any.

Ah ok

Yeah, I plan on doing the program myself. Was hoping that the binder would come in sooner so I could get a head start on working through the material.

Because I took their step one class and no one evr contact me to ask my score so how did they calculate the average w/o everybody's score?And I pretty they didn't get it from the nbme

He used to teach the course only as live lectures exclusively to kids in the UT system, so he had direct contact w/ them after the test. That's probably where he got the stats from. I scored above their Step I average, and I'm an idiot, so the program works

Because I took their step one class and no one evr contact me to ask my score so how did they calculate the average w/o everybody's score?And I pretty they didn't get it from the nbme

I'm studying for Step I and will be doing DIT and read up on them quite a bit before deciding. I believe at some point, I read that the average that they boast is actually the average for the students at the Texas med school(s).....whichever one(s) that is/are who are taking the course.

They contacted me after my test and asked me my score. Looked like a general email so I figured they sent it to everyone?

About to start the step 2 program... wish someone knew more about it!

I'm seriously considering this program for step 2 as well. It seems like a good program to help organize my studies. I'd like to hear some more feedback before I pull the trigger. $700 is a lot of money that I don't have at the moment.

I'm seriously considering this program for step 2 as well. It seems like a good program to help organize my studies. I'd like to hear some more feedback before I pull the trigger. $700 is a lot of money that I don't have at the moment.

Yeah, it's a lot. But, really it's only 700 ... Kaplan's like 5 times as pricey and it's efficiency questionable. I pulled the trigger on it, hopefully it works out for me. I'm doing my best at this point and I hope DIT fleshes it all out and helps me get to where I want to be with Step 2.

They contacted me after my test and asked me my score. Looked like a general email so I figured they sent it to everyone?

About to start the step 2 program... wish someone knew more about it!

I was asked about my score by mail after Step I as well.

The big reason I'm sticking with DIT was that I had a successful Step I prep regimen which did include DIT. I weighed my options and decided that I was going to go ahead and try to go with the same style of prep-regimen for Step II rather than reinventing the wheel.

Same with Step I, I'd say the best things you can do are have a good foundation going in, use a QBank and then prep however you feel will help you best (that's where DIT comes in for me).

For those of you who have started DIT for step II. Any comments on the program so far? Anyone taken step II after using DIT? How did it work out for you? :confused:

I received a coupon code in the mail for 10 or 15% off the DIT course if purchased in March. However, I can't seem to find it.

If anyone has one, could you please PM it to me? I'd greatly appreciate it.

My roommate called DIT to ask for a Step 2 coupon code, and they said a new coupon would be coming out in email soon. Make sure they have your email address, I guess. I think I have seen coupons on Facebook, too (on their fan page maybe).

I (like other posters) know more about DIT Step 1, but some of my roommate's friends used it for S2 last year and it went well. She plans to use it this year. I think you have to just figure out what kind of program works for your study preferences--For me, knowing the HY stuff like the back of my hand (vs. studying lots of different stuff at a shallow level) works the best. Also-- repetition, repitition...

What is the DIT reputation for Step 1? I am just asking out of curiosity, even though I'm done with both step 1 and 2. Is this program (with regards to step 1) designed for those in danger of failing (like what the falcon series seems like), above average students, or overachievers who would receive 250 on their own but really aim for 260+? Perhaps I am a little old fashioned but question banks + review books were sufficient to get me exceptional scores on step 1 and step 2. I am trying to assess what market this DIT would be good for, and the type of medical student I would recommend this program to.

just bought the course, but not taking the test for another 2 months.

would really appreciate any advice from someone who has taken the course for step 2 :)

What is the DIT reputation for Step 1? I am just asking out of curiosity, even though I'm done with both step 1 and 2. Is this program (with regards to step 1) designed for those in danger of failing (like what the falcon series seems like), above average students, or overachievers who would receive 250 on their own but really aim for 260+? Perhaps I am a little old fashioned but question banks + review books were sufficient to get me exceptional scores on step 1 and step 2. I am trying to assess what market this DIT would be good for, and the type of medical student I would recommend this program to.

I started with World's first eval at 230 ended review book studying plus DIT for Step I with a on the real thing. I have a couple of friends who made ~30 point jumps as well, and a couple it didn't do much for. Could it have been done without DIT? Maybe but I thought it was damn good for beating in minutae I might have skimmed otherwise.

Last edited:
Sislo - how'd it go?
Hi.I'm about average in med school.Before I took DIT I already went through U World and NBME 1 was 207.I haven't taken Peds and surgery clerkship yet.I took DIT, + plus went through USMLE RX and NBME 2 was 231. I went through U world 1 more time and took the real deal.Ended up with 236/98.
Not a trigonometrical score but I love it.Wont say only DIT seal the deal but contributed to my adventure.

My buddy used this for step 1 and scored higher than his set of friends. he also used it for step 2 and scored higher as well. Apparently, they have adjusted to the demand and their customer service is 100% improved. He raves about this program and he never raves about anything. He said it provides structure and enough content and review that makes sense and sticks. I just watched 10 min of video and then wrote my comment up above, but then watched an entire video cause I did not believe him. I still remember the stuff I watched in that video.
I hate to retract my words, but I have to give credit were credit is due.

In the end, one cannot go wrong with DIT. I think DIT+world+a review book like secrets or crush will maximize ones potential.

humabot :thumbup:

How are you guys approaching the DIT? Like, what are you guys doing to effectively get the most out of the course? I have my COMLEX on 7/17 so I have about 6 weeks. I plan to use DIT starting this Monday. I'm going to do a COMSAE this weekend to assess where I stand. I sure as hell hope I'm over a 500 on this COMSAE so that hopefully I can nail down a 600 on level 2. I MIGHT take an NBME to see how I fare there and decide to sign up for USMLE Step 2, as well. I've done well on all my shelf exams, but I'm also finding my memory is fast fading of the old stuff (i.e. OBGYN, psych, peds).

How are you guys approaching the DIT? Like, what are you guys doing to effectively get the most out of the course? I have my COMLEX on 7/17 so I have about 6 weeks. I plan to use DIT starting this Monday. I'm going to do a COMSAE this weekend to assess where I stand. I sure as hell hope I'm over a 500 on this COMSAE so that hopefully I can nail down a 600 on level 2. I MIGHT take an NBME to see how I fare there and decide to sign up for USMLE Step 2, as well. I've done well on all my shelf exams, but I'm also finding my memory is fast fading of the old stuff (i.e. OBGYN, psych, peds).

How does this program work exactly? You have 1 month to review all the material? Its 5 hours of lectures a day? And after that 1 month essentially everything expires and you can't review any lectures? Is there a question bank as well? Can you register at any point and begin any day or is there a set schedule where everyone starts together?
Thanks for all the help ! I'm still trying to figure out if it is worth the $700. I need to bring my score up desperately from my step 1 score so...

i am not medical student,but i think you only make every endeavour to do one thing.. you must be success

aedsupershopping LLC

WTF?

Anyways, its like 700 for 45 videos, 3 views a piece within 30 days. I bought it when they gave a $70 discount and added on 15 extra days. You get some booklet as well. No Qbank that's on your own. My question is how does one attack this efficiently/effectively and do well with the course and ultimately the boards? I did pretty decent but nothing too special on step 1 and would love to kill step 2 .....

WTF?

Anyways, its like 700 for 45 videos, 3 views a piece within 30 days. I bought it when they gave a $70 discount and added on 15 extra days. You get some booklet as well. No Qbank that's on your own. My question is how does one attack this efficiently/effectively and do well with the course and ultimately the boards? I did pretty decent but nothing too special on step 1 and would love to kill step 2 .....

I got the same deal, but I'm not starting until a week from today since I'll be taking COMLEX PE this Thursday. That will give me access right up until I take step 2 USMLE on July 17th (I take COMLEX 2 on July 12th). I have about 400 more questions to go until I'm done going through UW for the first time (year subscription).

Honestly, I'm unsure how I'm going to attack it since I haven't seen how detailed the videos are. I would like to follow the 5 hour/day lecture set and also do a 44 q set of UW each day. I doubt that will be feasible since I'm still on my last rotation, but that's my plan. If the lectures are pretty heavy and take some time to set in, I might not be able to do all 5 hours/day.

Let us know what you think about the videos on Monday. I'll post some feedback after I start the videos too.