Doctors in Training Step II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njshibby

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone try this yet? I know a lot of his material is predicated on his past students so he might working the kinks out of it, but if it's as good as the step 1 material I'm buying.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I never posted a review... I'll go ahead and comment. I bought the 2010 DIT for Step 2 CK course last year having bought the DIT for Step I course the previous year.

Overall, I thought the course was just OK. DIT Step 1 was a bit better (probably owing to the fact that it borrowed from FA for Step 1). Step Up to Step 2 just didn't seem like as strong of a source.

That said, my Step I score was strong and my Step 2 score was 20 points higher. I attribute that mainly to the material being more relevant (easier) and UWorld (which is by far the best prep source you can use).

Still, DIT for Step 2, while not outstanding, did what I needed it to, which was provide a schedule, pacing and an audio delivery of the material. The format is the same as DIT for Step 1. You're getting a little beyond that with some memory tricks... but I wouldn't say it's the most helpful. Again, the best teaching tool available is UWorld.

tl;dr: If you need someone to present the material to you on a spoonfed schedule and have a lot of money, this is the course for you. But, you still need UWorld.

DEPAKOTE, Thank You so very much for your detailed reply.
This is exactly what I needed to hear. Black & White.
Thanks.

Captopril, thanks for your input as well, and your book suggestion as well.
Thanks.

I guess it is what it is.
Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a position where if I do not take Step2ck by May14th, my Step1 score wil be voided. I will then have to take Step1 again; and my 7 yr deadline will reset itself from the passing date of my CS which was dec 2005. I would then have to sit for Step1 and Step2ck by dec 2012. Not exactly what I planned; but it must be Gods plan.

anyway, IF I have to study for step1 again. would the step2ck DIT material suffice to study with or should I gian access to Step1 DIT material?

I seem to be having to review physio (cardio ) the most. AM regretting not mastering physio step1.

any advice would be appreciated.

I am in a position where if I do not take Step2ck by May14th, my Step1 score wil be voided. I will then have to take Step1 again; and my 7 yr deadline will reset itself from the passing date of my CS which was dec 2005. I would then have to sit for Step1 and Step2ck by dec 2012. Not exactly what I planned; but it must be Gods plan.

anyway, IF I have to study for step1 again. would the step2ck DIT material suffice to study with or should I gian access to Step1 DIT material?

I seem to be having to review physio (cardio ) the most. AM regretting not mastering physio step1.

any advice would be appreciated.

Don't think Step 2 CK DIT would be all that useful for Step 1. A lot of Step 1 stuff is so minutiae, basic science oriented (i.e. what part of the ribosome does this antibiotic attach to? questions like that...), stuff that you would really need DIT I for. Good luck! Hopefully you don't have to take Step 1 again.

i have to agree on the boring part. I would recommend the 1.5x speed option... and that too during down time; when you have time left in the day but are too tired to do anything more intense like attempting and studying questions.

the review quizzes and that "supplemental material" stuff is pretty decent though;

Last edited:
I was wondering if anybody has the Neurology 1, Cardio 1, Pulmonology 3 videos along with the pdf handout. Those are the only files missing. Thank you!

I'm looking for the following three files for DIT step 2 course. Neuro 2, Cardio 1 and Pulmonary 3.

Also, if someone has the link for study guide/workbook that comes with the course. Or if anyone selling the study guide????

thank you.

I did DIT for Step 2 CK and pretty much nothing else. I liked it, watched all the videos twice and with USMLE world I felt it was allright. I didnt really like the book they used, there were some questions on the exam that werent very hard, but just werent covered in that book, and I think that with a bit more detailed book I wouldve gotten a better score. That being said, it was a very good course, not quite as good as the one for Step 1 but good enough. Overall 4 out of 5 stars.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tigreblanco

do you have the step 2 ck workbook on pdf?? if you do, do you mind sharing it with me please. thank you

Thought I would add my 2c for DIT....watched the OBGYN vids w a friend who purchased the course....the lecturer is pretty dry, but he really hits the high yield stuff! After watching just that section, my OBGYN score went up significantly on UW. I thought he did a pretty good job of explaining concepts without overly delving into pathophys and kept the material high yield. The quizzes are good in reinforcing concepts and I like that it's only a 2 week course. Hopefully will be worth the $770

Good luck to all!

So i just finished DIT yesterday and took nbme 4 (228). My score had jumped 17 points from my nbme 3 (211) which i took before starting DIT. However, I was doing it alongside with UW and Qbook. So I think doing DIT along with a lot of questions is really key.

I didn't use DIT for Step 1 and I wish I'd known about it. I used it for Step II, along with UWorld. I thought together they were a great combo, because they kept me focused--I think I would've gone crazy just reviewing questions over and over again. I needed to kill Step II because I did pretty badly on Step I, and I think DIT was a big part of why I was able to do it.

I used First Aid for Step II with DIT instead of Step Up, and found it to be OK (I'd already bought it and couldn't return it). Most of the info is there, but I found myself using my notes and his workbook more than the text.
Watch the videos in 1.5 speed, that's slow enough :)

Good Luck!

I'm also planning on taking the DIT course...however, I agree with others that Step Up to Step 2 is not enough...Do you guys think First Aid is a better book to use along with DIT - it is much more extensive than Step Up.

Has anyone used the new-and-improved DIT 2011 for step 2?

I've seen the packet from the 2010 course, and the 2011 packet, which just came in the mail, looks like it has a lot more to it.

They also brought in some outside lecturers. I start the course Sunday.

I'm excited that they seem to have taken major steps to overhaul the course, and thus, make sure it stays current. However, I'm always a little uneasy about using the first edition of anything after a major update.

Thanks for all of the helpful information everyone! I was also wondering if anyone had a suggestion about when to do the DIT material. I have about 6 weeks to study and am trying to decide if I should start with DIT, take 2-3 weeks to complete it (while doing UWorld questions as well) and then spend the last 2-3 weeks just doing UWorld questions and reviewing my Step Up to Step 2 book OR if I should review and do questions first and spend my last 2-3 weeks doing DIT. I didn't use DIT for Step I so am trying to determine the most effective way to complete it- any suggestions? thanks in advance!

Texas T-

Ive gone through a good amount of the lectures. They are very good, and the new guys teaching are solid. There are also some skits thrown in for educational/entertainment purposes that are actually pretty enjoyable- makes a bit easier to get through some of the longer 100 plus minute lectures. There are also more frequent "review quizes" compared to the step I program- the only thing is I feel like a lot of it is "ok i already know this.." but I suppose that is a good thing right? And Step II is apparently not as bad as I so this makes sense I hope.

I dont believe you will be dissapointed.

I just got my DIT book in the mail...and I was wondering when do you work on the quick review/rapid review sections? A little bit each day or at the end of the course? The book seems very organized...haven't started watching the videos yet.

Thanks

I just got my DIT book in the mail...and I was wondering when do you work on the quick review/rapid review sections? A little bit each day or at the end of the course? The book seems very organized...haven't started watching the videos yet.

Thanks

do the book with the videos. He tells you when to do them and tells you to pause the video while doing the corresponding quiz for the day, then gives you the answers afterwards.

To further clarify the above post, the quick reviews are thrown into the middle of each lecture throughout the course.

I am on like day five of the new course now, and I really like it.

I like that they mix it up with different lecturers. Not that I have a problem with Dr. Jenkins (maybe not the most exciting guy, but no less exciting than what I sat through for the first two years of med school), but it's just nice to have a little variety. I don't really know why, but it keeps my attention a little better.

The skits they have thrown in there are nice too. They are totally ridiculous, but I think that's the idea. They kind of perk me up when I'm starting to fade a little bit. And some of the chicks are kind of hot too. Or maybe I've just been in med school too long.

I think they are kind of hot...(or maybe weve both been in med school too long)

For my Step 2 prep, I am doing Doctor's in Training. I was originally not going to shell out the money for it, but I decided to do this because I need the structure this time around. We have so many other distracting things going on like planning audition rotations, prepping for ERAS, etc!

I really love DIT and I am almost done with it. Like most reviews, it really focuses on high-yield material but does leave a few things out. As mentioned in this thread, the book they use is called Step-Up to USMLE Step 2. I like the active learning that it encourages- quizzes every 20 minutes, quizzes at the beginning and end of lectures, fill in the blanks, and little skits to keep you focused. Also it is true that some of the actors and physicians are pretty easy on the eyes, haha :p

I have also read USMLE Step2 Secrets, and I have been using the conquest question bank which I am happy with. The questions are not too hard and I personally feel that the style resembles COMLEX better than COMBANK.

Last weekend, I did the practice COMSAE Form C that the school bought for us which was a good indicator of my strengths and weaknesses. If it had been purchased earlier, I would have preferred to take it before I started the bulk of my studying. Last year I found the COMSAE to be very close to the real exam, but scored about 50 points higher on the real thing.

I used Step Up to Medicine on my IM rotation, but it is not succinct enough for my 2-weeks before the exam review.

Hopefully this helps people who are planning out their studies. I take the exam on Thursday 7/7. I'll try to remember to log on to SDN and let people know if the DIT course truly helped. Feeling pumped! You can PM me if you have questions, not promising a fast response at this time, though!

I have NOT done DIT, but I have been doing the Kaplan videos, and have been LOVING them. My UWORLD and COMQUEST scores have gone from 50's-60's to 70's-80's.

Nothing beats Conrad Fischer on 2x speed. Pure crack. Plus you get gems like this (topic = antivirals, abbreviated version, but you'll get the idea):

"Oseltam-I-vir. That's an 'I.' What do you think of when you think of the I? Influenza!
Abac-A-vir. What do you think of when you think of the A? A-a-a-a-a...AIDS.
Finally, Acy-O-vir. What you think of when you think of the O? Oh, oh oh...Oh S#!T you've got herpes! [cameraman loses hit and cracks up off camera]. That's right. Influenza, AIDS, and Oh S#!T you've got herpes."

Hilarious. The whole thing. Loving it.

* edit - thought I would ask to see how some of the SDN members have been feeling the new revised DIT course - think I will just keep it super simple and decided that I'd spend that time redoing UW explanations a few times.

Seems that adding the DIT course handbook and Step Up Step 2 would be too overwhelming (for me) with all the information already superimposed and layered within the UW explanations itself as I am seeing.

Last edited:
I too feel that this course is very hard to get focused on. I stopped after 10 days. Now thinking back, I could have studied a lot more by myself or watching Kaplan videos in 10 days. Given the limited studying time, 10 days is a lot! Now i feel like I learn a lot more from Kaplan videos.
My 2c.

I did DIT 2010 edition. Yes, the guy is boring, he is no Goljan. But for me personally I think it was helpful because: 1. It provided a structure and schedule, 2. A lot of the things that he emphasizes in the videos and in his review/preview quiezes is $$$ for step 2. I did have the Kaplan videos as well, and while Fisher's lectures are good, I felt like they weren't high yield enough to do in a couple of weeks. I feel Kaplan videos are great to do during 3rd year, but when it's time to cram for step 2, DIT is a better option. Also if you are an auditory learner, like I am, DIT might be worth the money.

Bump....just curious what other people had to say about the course. Recommend or no? They are offering a big discount is the reason i ask.

Just finished the course today. Obviously I havent taken my test yet so I can't speak for the results it will give me. But it def kept me moving at a good pace and I'm not disappointed. But I do agree that the step 1 course was prob a smidge better. They tried to add in a bunch of other stuff to make the videos more engaging, some of them were funny, but I probably would have preferred they just stuck to the material and kept it as short as possible.

Just got my step 2 results 2 days ago... Had a HUGE jump from Step 1 to Step 2. This course is really really good!

I took the Step 2 course + OMM course and took my COMLEX yesterday. They were both great classes and I recommend them.

I didn't take a course for Step1 and regretted it after my score came back. Decided to shell out the money for Step2...completely worth it!! My score went up 45 points from Step1, and I really think most of this is from the course itself (and UW of course).

The review quizzes are awesome, helped me memorize a lot of the concepts. True, the lectures are sometimes dry but I'm the type of person that needs structure and a way to get through all the material at once.

So yes, I highly recommend DIT.

The first few days are rough. Mostly neuro and the lectures are way longer than the other days. It will take you a while. This was good for me since I didn't have a neuro rotation. Alot of the stuff should be pretty rote at this point if you've paid attention during clerkships. Because of that, I watched almost all the lectures at 1.5x and only paused occasionally to make some notes. I did the course 15 days straight through (only studied for 20 days). I think it's actually good for more than 30 days (45?).

Definitely save a day or two to go through the high-yield/rapid review questions again if you want to maximize the course. I wouldn't worry about going back over the whole packet, just the rapid reviews etc. I re-watched 1 video.

There's no quick fix for you if you were a M3 slacker. Otherwise, this will certainly help provide guidance and very relevant review for step2. I did GREAT on step2 (broke the curve).

(I'm not getting paid to say this...)

I just want to give DIT a strong endorsement. I got my step 2 scores just yesterday--679; that was 110 higher than my last COMSAE. Overall, the course boosted my score about 150 points. Most the lecturers do a good job going over the material, and the frequent repetition and quizzing built into the course is highly effective for me. Incidentally, my wife is a med student as well and saw about a 110 increase over her final COMSASE and like a 150 point increase overall on comlex level II.

If you like to study for boards with repetition of key points and have a solid foundation [not superb, but just decent] under you from third year, I think this course will boost your score significantly. I have to say, I think Dr. Jenkins is great at prepping people for boards. He has great execution of a few simple education principles that can offer great results and that have been totally abandoned in formal medical education.

I wonder how people study with Kaplan, Falcon, and Premier with the firehose style teaching. It seems to me that taking the boards is about maximizing the amount of high-yield info that you know well enough to answer questions and then getting that right along with a small extra percentage. In DIT, the high-yield stuff is covered many times more than in the other courses that sort of leave it buried in the mass of other info you get.

However, if you don't like repetition and have a weak grasp of the concepts of third year [and are way below like 430ish on the COMSASEs], you probably need something stronger.

Last edited:
This scam is worse than Bernie Madoff---my friends got scores ranging from 146-63. I know that they should have studied- but then what good is the course with such Madoff-like outcomes!?

This scam is worse than Bernie Madoff---my friends got scores ranging from 146-63. I know that they should have studied- but then what good is the course with such Madoff-like outcomes!?
If they scored that low, then nothing was going to help them...man, idiots.

Anyone know which book is going to be used for the DIT 2012 Step 2 course? I would like to buy it since I can start annotating during clerkships.

At our school presentation a couple weeks ago they said they haven't decided yet. I guess Jenkins is reviewing a potential new book.

Same here. I like Step up to Step 2 a lot but it is getting to be relatively old having been released in 2007.

I am hearing DIT is planning to stick with Step up to Step 2. Can anyone confirm this? Also a new version of FA is releasing in April.

(I'm not getting paid to say this...)

I just want to give DIT a strong endorsement. I got my step 2 scores just yesterday--679; that was 110 higher than my last COMSAE. Overall, the course boosted my score about 150 points. Most the lecturers do a good job going over the material, and the frequent repetition and quizzing built into the course is highly effective for me. Incidentally, my wife is a med student as well and saw about a 110 increase over her final COMSASE and like a 150 point increase overall on comlex level II.

If you like to study for boards with repetition of key points and have a solid foundation [not superb, but just decent] under you from third year, I think this course will boost your score significantly. I have to say, I think Dr. Jenkins is great at prepping people for boards. He has great execution of a few simple education principles that can offer great results and that have been totally abandoned in formal medical education.

I wonder how people study with Kaplan, Falcon, and Premier with the firehose style teaching. It seems to me that taking the boards is about maximizing the amount of high-yield info that you know well enough to answer questions and then getting that right along with a small extra percentage. In DIT, the high-yield stuff is covered many times more than in the other courses that sort of leave it buried in the mass of other info you get.

However, if you don't like repetition and have a weak grasp of the concepts of third year [and are way below like 430ish on the COMSASEs], you probably need something stronger.

DIT pay a ****-ton of money for passing/average, something you could have done on your own with First Aid and UWorld.

Kaplan Augmentation pay a **** **** **** ton of money to get a rediculous score, something you likely could not have achieved in any meaningful manner given the amount of time you have.

Its the effort, and money, you put in versus the reward and payout. DIT is good for people who want average, can't handle studying on their own, and need a regimen. If that's what you're going for, great. Do it. Honestly, anything you get with DIT you could have gotten on your own.

Hello - I take CK on Aug 2, and will be finishing up DIT on Monday (leaving about 1.5 weeks until the test date). Any suggestions on what to do the last 1.5 weeks?