Question about interview outfits for ladies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icedspice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am wearing a skirt, do I have to wear pantyhose?
It is annoying as hell to find one in my color, they are tight and uncomfortable and there is a very good chance they may rip.

So please tell me there are changes to that rule...That no etiquette-know-it-all from back in the days is going to give me a C- in an interview because of these so called rules.

Thanks =D
Guys are welcome to answer this question if knowledgeable in the area :p

Members don't see this ad.

Umm...I am NOT wearing pantyhose. If they can tell, they're looking too closely. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am definitely wearing a skirt, no pantyhose, I'm just going to avoid the sky-high heels and go for something more conservative.

Emmie I think if you look professional and put-together, you can wear whatever you want, but I'm having a hard time imagining what a white or pink dress coat would look like...what is a dress coat?

I would DEFINITELY wear pantyhose. No question about it.

I would DEFINITELY wear pantyhose. No question about it.

Why though?
From wikipedia:
"1. be fashionable
2. ease chafing between the foot and footwear
3. keep the legs and feet warm
4. hide physical imperfections such as blemishes, bruises, scars, hair, or varicose veins"

1. fashionable? clearly not.
2. eh. not a big issue.
3. i live in texas. we have enough warmth.
4. i got nice legs :)

so why else? To me, it just seems like an old fashioned, dont-show-ur-legs-to-men when women just started working type of thing.

Why though?
From wikipedia:
"1. be fashionable
4. hide physical imperfections such as blemishes, bruises, scars, hair, or varicose veins"

2. eh. not a big issue.

so why else? To me, it just seems like an old fashioned, dont-show-ur-legs-to-men when women just started working type of thing.

I agree. Burn the pantyhose!! :D

Why though?
From wikipedia:
"1. be fashionable

2. eh. not a big issue.

The reason why I say "DEFINITELY" is because I worked in corporate America prior to pursuing dentistry. If I ever chose to show up to a client site not wearing pantyhose, you could bet that I'd be sent back to change or to a store to purchase some. Sure pantyhose may seem antiquated, but understand that the people who are interviewing you are not our generation. They're from a generation that grew up learning that pantyhose display a sense of professionalism that bare legs just don't show.

Sure they may be annoying, but cater more to your audience than to your personal preferences.

i have a question about hair...i have very long hair and I'm not willing to cut it just for this...so what should i do? If i let it loose I look like a hippie...i know I'm not gonna have any time before the interview to arrange it too much...so can i make a french braid?...i don't think a regular pony tail is too professional, is it?

and about the pantyhose I kind of agree...i think it adds to the professional look...but i have a problem with the shoes...they have to be fully closed, right? i think it looks bad to have an open toe shoe with the pantyhose toe sticking out:laugh:, doesn't it?

i have a question about hair...i have very long hair and I'm not willing to cut it just for this...so what should i do? If i let it loose I look like a hippie...i know I'm not gonna have any time before the interview to arrange it too much...so can i make a french braid?...i don't think a regular pony tail is too professional, is it?

and about the pantyhose I kind of agree...i think it adds to the professional look...but i have a problem with the shoes...they have to be fully closed, right? i think it looks bad to have an open toe shoe with the pantyhose toe sticking out:laugh:, doesn't it?

Can you maybe where it in a bun or a ponytail at the nape of your neck? A braid should be ok too, but I think it would be preferred to have not too much of your hanging down your back. I have really long hair as well, and will wear a loose bun at the bottom of my neck.

As for shoes, I would only suggest wearing closed-toe!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the responses :)

pantyhose will always be a :confused: for me. its not like we r wearing miniskirts. we are wearing knee length appropriate skirts.
imo, it doesnt seem right to do it just because that is what "society" expects of us...

then again, i am putting my career on the line by doing so :laugh:

perhaps i shall check out pants.

Dont cut your haaaair!!!! french braid sounds nice =D
And no open toe/back shoes. Thats another one of the 'professional' things to do---or not do.

It might be safe to wear a pair of long black dress pants.

Is it ok to wear a white/pink dress coat to match it?
White/Pink with black pants...
I havnt been shopping yet but thats not too harsh? too contrasting?
I take the safe route and buy the business outfit as a whole.. and then choose a nice colored shirt inside.

Umm...I am NOT wearing pantyhose. If they can tell, they're looking too closely. :thumbup:
hahaha...true indeed.

but I'm having a hard time imagining what a white or pink dress coat would look like...what is a dress coat?

a really cute one from dana buchman, trust me! ;)

I in fact thought about becoming a fashion designer when I was a teenager lol :p

I'm thinking of just black dress pants. Mainly because I have a pair and don't want to go shopping for a skirt. However, I need a nice jacket for the top. Chances are I'll go shopping for that and buy something I don't need and not for the interview... haha.

I think we should look best on our interview days.The interviewers of course want the good looking future dentist to join their school.

I have long hair too. I will let it down but will try to style and make volume to it. Wearing a skirt and pantyhose is definitely.

I want to look sexy but professional at the same time;)

haha this thread is too funny because I was just having the same problem yesterday as I went interview shopping. I bought a very hot skirt to go with a jacket (Not slutty though). I still need a cute top for under my jacket.

Anyways, PANTYHOSE...I was also thinking about wearing none because we are young and still have good legs I would like to think. However, why take the risk if someone old fashioned is interviewing you? I'm either gonna wear the nudest possible tights or if you want to be a little different go with black. Tights are IN right now anyways. Although, I go to school in Wisconsin where it is cold....

HAIR...Hair usually looks better down as a general rule (if you have nice hair). Just make sure it's not in your face. I just took 2 inches off the other day so I wouldn't have as much of a problem.

Good luck and don't overload on make-up!

DEFINITELY wear pantyhose.. and wear your hair back unless it is short..

not wearing pantyhose looks very unprofessional.. you want to look as professional as possible.. no loud jewlery, crazy colors, bare legs, open toed shoes or stilletos.. you might find your outfit kinda "boring" or "old" but that gives off a lot better vibe to your interviewers.. you want them to see you as mature..

just my two cents

CLOSED TOED SHOES are a must. How about a nice manicure as well?

bare nails or light colors.. short. trust me. u want to look simple and clean cut. :)

try to seduce them... im a guy and still gonna give that a shot

I am freaking out, ladies. I have an interview next week!! (They told me yesterday) Thankfully I bought my suit already, hopefully can have the sleeves shortened over the weekend, but I've got to run out and get shoes, a purse (big enough for flats for the tour), and shirt for the suit.

What kind of shirt do you guys suggest? The Limited had some frilly ones that looked pretty nice (since you're only seeing a little bit of it) but I was thinking that may not be conservative enough. Any suggestions for something nicer than a plain boring shell?

I think something like this would be really cute tucked into a skirt - the only problem is you obviously can't wear it without a jacket.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBrowse/Women_Shop_By_Category/shirtstops/camisblouses/PRDOVR~17428/17428.jsp

I was going to wear a top like that but I couldn't find a good suit, so I ended up going with a skirt/button-down shirt. Most of the girls in my interview group were wearing either sweaters and no jacket or button-down shirts beneath suit jackets.

Yeah! I have an interview in 2 weeks ....:eek:

I *was* going to wear a skirt suit but my hips are wide...and I have thin legs...so when I was trying them on versus pants suits... I thought the pants suits made me look long and lean versus...squatty...haha I don't know. Plus...no pantyhose!! SCORE!

Is anyone having problems finding a jacket that fits well around a small waist but large bust? Gosh, it was murder!

So here is what I have....small pearl studs and necklace. Black very faint pinstripe pants suit. The pinstripe is actually almost a turquoise color, so I found a shell that has feminine detail around the neck that is exactly the same color as the pinstripe. The entire jacket is lined in that color so when I raise my hands...you can see in the sleeve and it looks like my shell is long sleeved! haha!

Oh! And I got some amazing closed toe shoes at Banana Republic...very comfy. I too have long hair....well it's not THAT long...but about to my clavicle. I was thinking of pulling it half up in a barrette and straightening it....sound OK?

Love this thread...thanks for starting it, OP!

What kind of shirt do you guys suggest? The Limited had some frilly ones that looked pretty nice (since you're only seeing a little bit of it) but I was thinking that may not be conservative enough. Any suggestions for something nicer than a plain boring shell?

Good Luck on your Interview!! Let us know how it goes!

I saw those shirts at the Limited! I loved them! I was with my mom though and she said she didn't think it would fly. That's just her two cents.... I LOVE ruffles...and Jcrew...and yeah, but I went with something more conservative.

hey guys you think a full white suit is a little too much? it looks really professional, but..... its a white suit with a navy shirt... wow it sounds manly, but it's femme.

Yeah! I have an interview in 2 weeks ....:eek:

I *was* going to wear a skirt suit but my hips are wide...and I have thin legs...so when I was trying them on versus pants suits... I thought the pants suits made me look long and lean versus...squatty...haha I don't know. Plus...no pantyhose!! SCORE!

Is anyone having problems finding a jacket that fits well around a small waist but large bust? Gosh, it was murder!

So here is what I have....small pearl studs and necklace. Black very faint pinstripe pants suit. The pinstripe is actually almost a turquoise color, so I found a shell that has feminine detail around the neck that is exactly the same color as the pinstripe. The entire jacket is lined in that color so when I raise my hands...you can see in the sleeve and it looks like my shell is long sleeved! haha!

Oh! And I got some amazing closed toe shoes at Banana Republic...very comfy. I too have long hair....well it's not THAT long...but about to my clavicle. I was thinking of pulling it half up in a barrette and straightening it....sound OK?

Love this thread...thanks for starting it, OP!

this sounds awesome. i have long hair and i was thinking of curling it slightly and leaving it down. my hair comes down to mid back..... what is the deal with pulling it back?? i have sticky outty ears and i look around 12 years of age when i pull my hair back

this sounds awesome. i have long hair and i was thinking of curling it slightly and leaving it down. my hair comes down to mid back..... what is the deal with pulling it back?? i have sticky outty ears and i look around 12 years of age when i pull my hair back

It just up to you girl! I'm not 100% I'm going to pull my back but I might....I think as long as it's not in your face and you're not constantly playing with it or tucking it behind you ears (I do that a lot and I'm trying to avoid looking fidgety) then you'll be fine!

you dont have to pull it all the way back.. but you want it out of your face.. with a suit.. just long hair hanging down kinda ruins the clean cut look.. you want to give off the appearance of being organized and clean, isnt that how you would want your dentist to look? I think you command more respect the more put together you look. Also.. just something ot think about.. but no mismatched/"cute" purses.. a small briefcase/nice dark matching purse is ok.. though..

I went to quite a few interviews.. and I saw some people that looked really good and really bad.. the ones that didnt wear pantyhose/didnt pull back their hair/ were trying to look sexy/cute.. it just ends up making you look young, and most of the ppl interviewing you are gonna be much older than you, you kinda have to appeal to their age range.

I was so worried last year too about what to wear/what was ok.. so I just want to help ya'll look your best..and if you do.. you will feel even more confident when you walk into your interview room and looked the most polished out of everyone!!

goodluck

I have long hair - straightened it and pulled most of it back. I STILL managed to get my nametag stuck in it... during the interview... that was an awkward moment :)

I have long hair - straightened it and pulled most of it back. I STILL managed to get my nametag stuck in it... during the interview... that was an awkward moment :)

lol and that jcrew shirt is definitely similar to what I was thinking...

Thank you toothy! Congrats and good luck to you too! My fiance said the same thing as your mom but Because I am wearing a black suit (skirt), not much will show with the jacket on so it probably would be okay. Your outfit sounds really good! I am super short with big hips and skinny legs and skirts ALWAYS look better on me than pants, so I went with the skirt..still not wearing pantyhose. :laugh:

As for hair, I'm growing mine out and it's in an awkward stage but I can't do anything about it...too short to put up! I just hope I get lucky and have a good hair day :p But I don't think girls with long hair have to put it up, maybe just pull it back with a barette so it's not in your face.

And yes this is definitely an awesome thread! :thumbup:

I have a question about jewelry...i have this little cherry set with necklace and earrings...it's small with red and green crystals...nothing too obviuos...is that professional enough? I get a lot of compliments and whoever sees me wearing it notices it...i was thinking if they can't remember my face maybe they'll remember my cherries :laugh:

Haha, I love this thread. I'm totally ready to go out and shop now although i don't have any interview invites yet so that may be jumping the gun. I was wondering about the earring thing too. I might go with pearl earrings because those look pretty professional, don't you guys think?

Haha, I love this thread. I'm totally ready to go out and shop now although i don't have any interview invites yet so that may be jumping the gun. I was wondering about the earring thing too. I might go with pearl earrings because those look pretty professional, don't you guys think?

Pearls are classic, can't go wrong with them. I'm glad I bought my suit before I got any interview invites because I only had 1 week notice! Definitely better to get it early...

My advice is to keep it professional. Basic colors, simple jewelry, PANTYHOSE, etc. Save the fashion and frills for another time and place. Wouldn't you hate to find out that you bombed an interview and didn't get accepted b/c your interviewer thought you looked unprofessional and your appearance gave the wrong impression? This process is extremely competitive and you don't want to do anything to move your application closer to the rejection pile. I know some of you may feel it's not that serious and not take the advice given here and that's fine. I didn't get in on my first attempt (nothing clothing- or interview-related), so believe me when I say it's better to save yourself the headache and get it right the 1st time. Good luck ladies. Hope to see some of you at U of L in the coming year!

I think something like this would be really cute tucked into a skirt - the only problem is you obviously can't wear it without a jacket.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBrowse/Women_Shop_By_Category/shirtstops/camisblouses/PRDOVR~17428/17428.jsp

I was going to wear a top like that but I couldn't find a good suit, so I ended up going with a skirt/button-down shirt. Most of the girls in my interview group were wearing either sweaters and no jacket or button-down shirts beneath suit jackets.

Very cute! If you go with something "out there" like this, I would definitely keep the rest of the outfit SIMPLE. Most importantly, it looks like this shirt could give way for a cleavage party. That's a for sure no no so make sure you're covered well.

hey guys you think a full white suit is a little too much? it looks really professional, but..... its a white suit with a navy shirt... wow it sounds manly, but it's femme.

I love a crisp, white suit on a girl. It's sexy, shows confidence, and is classy...but only if you can pull it off. I'm 5' 1'' and don't think i could pull the look off. In general, if you are tall and/or lean it usually looks good. Ask someone for their honest opinion. Finally, you know the saying, "don't wear white after labor day." I mean you can, but if it starts getting cold out when your interviewing it may be considered out of season. That's my best advice but I'm no fashionista.

i'm glad someone started this thread!!! ok so are most people thinking of wearing a skirt/suit jacket combo? i was originally thinking a pant suit but idk! i have an interview next monday so i've gotta get something quick eek...

and for shoes i love wearing heels but i'm worried about the tour part! nothing's worse than being in lots of pain when you're walking... so maybe i'll just get low heels?

i have long hair too but i'm bad at putting it up, it's too straight! so i was thinking i'd pin part of it back so it's out of my face

I love a crisp, white suit on a girl. It's sexy, shows confidence, and is classy...but only if you can pull it off.

With my luck, I would get ketchup on it right before the interview... :smack:

i'm glad someone started this thread!!! ok so are most people thinking of wearing a skirt/suit jacket combo? i was originally thinking a pant suit but idk! i have an interview next monday so i've gotta get something quick eek...

and for shoes i love wearing heels but i'm worried about the tour part! nothing's worse than being in lots of pain when you're walking... so maybe i'll just get low heels?

i have long hair too but i'm bad at putting it up, it's too straight! so i was thinking i'd pin part of it back so it's out of my face

This is a huge concern! I'm either going to find low comfortable heels (yeah right) or bring a pair of dressy flats to change into in my purse...now the purse!? What is a "professional" purse?

What are you ladies carrying to your interviews?

Hey Ladies...i am new to sdn.....but i really love this thread...because presentation is imporanttt...i think im going to wear pants/suit outfit....i have a professional purse..but it is a big purse...can carry books and waht not....and also are u guys carrying one of those black books where there is a notepad for notes or what not...i doubt u actually use it...but i was wondering if we should bring anything like that?

I'm not sure if I'll get one... one of my friends who applied last year said she found it really useful though.

Yeah...I have a nice black purse, but it is definitely on the big side...big enough to carry another pair of shoes and a notebook...plus typical purse contents....

I don't know...what do y'all think?

According to my sister, the only type of purse that goes with a suit is a HANDbag (ie not shoulder bag or clutch) so this can't really be a very large bag unless you want to die.

I like the notebook idea! They probably have half-size ones that would fit into a medium size purse.