Question about interview outfits for ladies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any suggestions for stores to look for petite suits? I have an interview next week (found out 2 days ago) and I've looked at Macy's, JCPenny's, Express, Ann Taylor. For some reason, none of them had too much of a selection in my size!! (I'm a 2 petite, maybe a 4 in some brands). I've yet to check Banana Republic but I'm running out of ideas. AHhh!

Members don't see this ad.

i know ann taylor has petites. i'm usually a petite 2 or 4 as well and i got my suit at banana republic (they dont have petite) ... it fits just fine, the sleeves are like an inch too long but they look fine and i never got them adjusted

banana republic does have petite. Not all stores may carry petite though. I went through tons of stores before I found my suit. I needed a 00P from BR so I paid the extra money to have a better fitting suit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! I finally got one, from Banana Republic (they had petites at the store I was at). The awesome news was that if I signed up for a Banana republic card, I could get 40% off. Meaning, I saved about $100. Now I just need shoes.

Yes! I finally got one, from Banana Republic (they had petites at the store I was at). The awesome news was that if I signed up for a Banana republic card, I could get 40% off. Meaning, I saved about $100. Now I just need shoes.

how is that possible?? the jacket alone costs $200! either way, i'm jealous.

how is that possible?? the jacket alone costs $200! either way, i'm jealous.

I think we got the same suit.. haha. Yeah, the jacket was 200 and the pants 100 but they had some promotional thing where it's 40% off if you get a banana card -- today's the last day though. So it all came out to about 200. Man... I should've checked there first! I went through so many stores.

you guys are soooo lucky! I'm so pissed I didn't wait to buy my suit. I spent $300 on it! Oh well....hopefully it'll get good use. I hope we don't all have the same suit....

you guys are soooo lucky! I'm so pissed I didn't wait to buy my suit. I spent $300 on it! Oh well....hopefully it'll get good use. I hope we don't all have the same suit....

donnnn't feel too bad. i didn't wait either and paid the $300. i really love the material though. i think a lot of us got the BR suit lol.

donnnn't feel too bad. i didn't wait either and paid the $300. i really love the material though. i think a lot of us got the BR suit lol.

So, after reading these recent posts, I think I have the same suit as well. Haha. BR really should have a bigger selection :)

haha, well they do have nice suits there!

another question... so are most of you guys doing a button-up collared shirt underneath? or something different like a ruffly shell or something? I'm not sure which to go for - would a ruffly shell be too not conservative for the interviewers? (and yes.. that was a grammatically weird sentence.. lol)

hmmm...sounds like I have no choice but to bring w/ me a large purse/handbag. I have bunches of journals and booklets to show at my interview and I need to shove them in somewhere!?

Also, a quick question. Should I bring photos of me being awarded for a competition standing next to the dean of the school and also photos of my research poster? I don't know but I feel very proud of my work but am I just going over-the-top there??

Btw...2 interviews in 2 weeks!! My hair is crrapp coz I cut it at last minute, so don't cut ur hair w/e u do!! :eek: (unless u really trust the person whose holding the pair of scissors)..

Would it be ok to wear dark gray pants with a black blazer?

I can't find black pants with the same fabric as the blazer and am not sure if I should just continue looking for a matching suit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be ok to wear dark gray pants with a black blazer?

I can't find black pants with the same fabric as the blazer and am not sure if I should just continue looking for a matching suit.

Yea, but what color is the top? Make it look professional.

Yea, but what color is the top? Make it look professional.

I'm not quite sure yet because I'm still in the process of looking for one that I like, but I'm leaning towards sleek, neutral colors.

I have been obsessing about what to wear pretty much since I decided I wanted to be a dentist. It looks like I'll be heading to banana! Thanks ladies. :D

hahaha these interviews are going to look like that store's doing a photo shoot for their catalogue.

i love this thread. if there's one thing i love besides teeth, it's shopping and checking out people's outfits :D

I really can't imagine who would choose to NOT wear nylons if they were serious about making an impression.

I went to a State school interview and was dressed in a tasteful pants suit with nylon sockies and close-toed shoes. Out of the 10 or so women who were there, about 5 of us dressed to what I would call professional dress. The other five had a smattering of bare legs, a stretchy white undershirt under her suit jacket, no suit jacket and a cotton shirt, a very short skirt under which her panty lines were showing along with a suit jacket that didn't appear to have any shirt underneath it...

All of that plays into whether the interviewer will send you an acceptance on December 1, and, after having spent over $2000 on the application process already, not spending another $100-200 on a well thought out interview outfit should not be the reason you didn't get in to a school.

My aim in putting together an outfit was: comfort, professional looking, me. I bought a 3 piece suit that was on sale for 120, ditched the boring shell and found a stylish blouse that was more "me." I wore simple earrings, and a bought a pair of nice clean shoes. A MUST. A small handbag or folder is fine, as long as it isn't worn out or super cheap looking. I used a simple leather bound folder that I could stick a toothbrush and toothpaste in.

This is your shot to make them remember you as a mature, professional woman, not as "that girl who didn't wear nylons at the end of the table."

This thread was really helpful. Thanks!

I also had a question about make-up and couldn't really find an answer anywhere. How much make-up to wear at interviews? I usually don't wear foundation and only put on eye liner and eye shadow, but that's just because I'm not a big make-up person. However, my face does have blemishes and pimples at time. What do you guys suggest?

do the suits have to black? can we wear some other color like gray??

I'm confused about what kind of bag to bring. Is it bad to bring designer bags? I have a black Jimmy Choo Riki bag that I really like, and i don't think it's that "flashy." I don't want to go out of my way to buy another bag...thoughts?

I'm confused about what kind of bag to bring. Is it bad to bring designer bags? I have a black Jimmy Choo Riki bag that I really like, and i don't think it's that "flashy." I don't want to go out of my way to buy another bag...thoughts?

I'm sure it's fine. You'll just set your bag at your feet most of the day anyway.

I also had a question about make-up and couldn't really find an answer anywhere. How much make-up to wear at interviews? I usually don't wear foundation and only put on eye liner and eye shadow, but that's just because I'm not a big make-up person. However, my face does have blemishes and pimples at time. What do you guys suggest?

I'd like some input on make-up as well! What have you ladies been doing about make-up?

IMO, go easy on the eyeliner and shadow if you normally use a lot. I'll probably do a light colored eye shadow (cream colored) with a simple eye liner with one or two coats of a light mascara. As for concealer and foundation, I would say do your normal routine but leave out the bronzer if you use a lot. Basically enough makeup to make you feel like yourself, but not too much to draw attention to the makeup itself.

Minimal is best. I just did a touch of blush and mascara

Any luck with petite suits not from BR/Ann Taylor? I checked out Ann Taylor Loft but they don't have matching sets. Online, BR only has one suit, and it seems like everyone else already has it! I don't want to show up wearing the same thing as 3 other girls...but is it worth spending $700 on a Theory suit from Nordstrom/NM? I don't know...

Any luck with petite suits not from BR/Ann Taylor? I checked out Ann Taylor Loft but they don't have matching sets. Online, BR only has one suit, and it seems like everyone else already has it! I don't want to show up wearing the same thing as 3 other girls...but is it worth spending $700 on a Theory suit from Nordstrom/NM? I don't know...

$700?! good lord please don't. you might see a lot of girls saying that they bought the BR suit (i'm one of them), but of the 3 interviews i've been to so far, i haven't noticed anyone else wearing it. go for it!

Also... does it matter that people have the same suit? Honestly, black suits look very similar, period. The interviewers aren't going to notice... plus the shirt you wear inside the suit probably won't be the exact same as other people's. Just find a suit that fits you -- that should be #1 priority.

I am looking for some opinions here...

I have a very professional looking black tweed dress that hits just below the knee. It is sleeveless, but I am planning on wearing a fitted black turtleneck underneath with nude pantyhose and black heels. Is this outfit appropriate for an interview or do I HAVE to purchase a suit?

Have you tried Express? They dont have petite suits, but they do carry size double zero, and they also have pants with a short inseam. They have about 3 different styles in a range of colors and price ranges. I bought my suit there and it fits perfectly for $150 (fyi, I am a double zero n kinda short....and for relative sizing: Ann Taylor's petite zero was HUGE on me)

I am looking for some opinions here...

I have a very professional looking black tweed dress that hits just below the knee. It is sleeveless, but I am planning on wearing a fitted black turtleneck underneath with nude pantyhose and black heels. Is this outfit appropriate for an interview or do I HAVE to purchase a suit?

I was under the impression that a suit is required. I never even thought about other options. You'd probably want to err on the more conservative side anyway.

PS I haven't tried Express yet cause I didn't think they had suit sets. Do they?? Hmm i might have to check it out.

okay these are kind of nitpicky questions, but i'm being told a professional suit:

-is made of wool, NOT polyester/synthetic materials
-has a jacket with more than one button
-fabric/stitching should match exactly between jacket & pants (they should be a set)

how important is this? of course the "younger" and more stylish suits only have one button...and they're cheaper...but i'm worried about offending the real conservatives! i'm going crazy!

okay these are kind of nitpicky questions, but i'm being told a professional suit:

-fabric/stitching should match exactly between jacket & pants (they should be a set)

how important is this? of course the "younger" and more stylish suits only have one button...and they're cheaper...but i'm worried about offending the real conservatives! i'm going crazy!

i would say the matching fabric/stitching is the most important thing... you can kindof slide on the other things. as long as you look put together you'll be ok.

Wear the collar over the suit. That's what I did. And yes, tuck in the shirt into the pants.

i wore my collar under my suit. i think it might depend on the type of shirt?
i didnt want it to poke out or crinkle in weird ways.
plus, sometimes the size/shape of the collars (of the shirt and the suit) dont match.
basically, no right or wrong way of doing it. do a modeling session :D
show possibility A, possibility B... and so on. to a valued family member who has nothing better to do that day :p

I didn't even wear a suit.

I just got a knee length merino wool pencil skirt from J.Crew, and kind of a simple white collared shirt from .... oh wait, that one was also from J. Crew. Every other girl was wearing a suit, so that made me a little self-conscious, but my businessy-conservative uncle told me it looked perfectly fine and appropriate for something like this.

Black merino wool skirt
white cotton collared shirt pressed at dry cleaner
simple black belt (thin, patent leather)
nude panty hose
patent leather black shoes, 2 inch heel

It was simple, conservative, a little bit cute (shirt had a little bit of frill), black and white.

I don't know if any of this helps. I had no idea how to approach a suit either, and plus I wanted to wear something that I felt confident in, and I think I would have felt awkward in a suit, since I'm generally VERY t-shirt/jeans/flip flops.

Here is what I think based on my interviews and my personal thoughts. OF course there is no right or wrong way to dress. I love to be stylish, love the mall...BUT I do not feel that your interview outfit should show off your great sense of style. Your look should be timeless and not fashionable.

I am not saying that you have to wear a suit, but a pencil skirt it should it should not have a slit high up and it should not be tight, at all. I think the heels should be very short and you should always wear closed toe.

Here are a few no-no's in my opinion:
Tight pants, tight skirt
Slits too high up
Jackets with one button "stylish" looking, although I am sure people can pull this off.
jacket unbuttoned
Short sleeved "dressy" blouse.
Open toed shoes.

Obviously people wear the things above and look fine..it's just my opinion based on what I have seen. Everyone is different and nothing is set in stone.

Just dress as safe as possible. You REALLY do not want anyone thinking about what you are wearing. If you raise an eyebrow and think twice about it, just change. I bought a really conservative suit and work style heels. Honestly, I never thought twice about it and I felt so confident in my interviews. You don't have to spend 200 , but you have to find the right outfit. Suit or not, it has to be very professional.

Last edited:
Here is what I think based on my interviews and my personal thoughts. OF course there is no right or wrong way to dress. I love to be stylish, love the mall...BUT I do not feel that your interview outfit should show off your great sense of style. Your look should be timeless and not fashionable.

I am not saying that you have to wear a suit, but if you wear a pencil skirt it should it should not have a slit and it should not be tight, at all. I think the heels should be very short and you should always wear closed toe. Yes, people actually wore open toe at the interviews.

Here are a few no-no's that I have seen:
Tight pants, tight skirt
Slit...no matter how conservative it is, it is a slit.
Jackets with one button "stylish" looking
Girls that wear their jacket unbuttoned
Short sleeved "dressy" blouse.
Open toed shoes.

Just dress as safe as possible. You REALLY do not want anyone thinking about what you are wearing. If you raise an eyebrow and think twice about it, just change. I bought a really conservative suit and work style heels. Honestly, I never thought twice about it and I felt so confident in my interviews. You don't have to spend 200 , but you have to find the right outfit. Suit or not, it has to be very professional.

umm, a slit is fine. it's functional. how are you going to walk in a skirt if it doesn't give you any room to move your legs?

umm, a slit is fine. it's functional. how are you going to walk in a skirt if it doesn't give you any room to move your legs?

Actually you are right. A slit is fine. I was thinking of the Forever 21 style slits that I have seen. There are functional slits though. I agree

i have acrylic nails, just French tips and not too long....do you think thats ok for an interview or should i take them off and go with my natural nails?

Last edited:
I need some suggestion about the purse!
I know I am little odd but I normally don't buy bags so as a result I have very limited knowledge in bag fashion.

Please help me choose the right bag/purse for interview! It would be even more helpful if you can include a link of what you suggest!

Really appreciate it!

I also have acrylic nails and I love them but the dentist I shadowed did not allow his hygienists to wear them which I'm assuming will be the case in dental school as well so I'm having them taken off before my interviews just to be on the safe side.

I need some suggestion about the purse!
I know I am little odd but I normally don't buy bags so as a result I have very limited knowledge in bag fashion.

Please help me choose the right bag/purse for interview! It would be even more helpful if you can include a link of what you suggest!

Really appreciate it!

ooo I would like to see opinions on this as well! Also, do you guys think a belt is necessary with a skirt suit?

Honestly, trousers are the safest way to go. Skirts could be classy, but you don't know if you're overdoing it or not..

TROUSERS FTW!