APA Center For Work Studies: 2009 Salary Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This was recently mentioned on a listserv I frequent, and given the recent discussion in a number of threads about salaries, I thought it'd be a good time to look at the CWS numbers.

SOURCE: http://research.apa.org/salaries09.html

In general, the direct clinical work is depressingly low....but we knew this. Medical schools seem like a decent niche, at least far better than some of the other options. I'm happy to see the consulting and biz opportunities are more in line with biz money, but I wish we could work in our realm and make that money.

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking of things that are depressing, I'm a little sad APA can't get a slightly better response on the salary survey. The n's for any clinical work but private practice are miniscule.

Public and private general hospitals and VAs all seem decent. County/State hospitals are just awful (and I imagine probably among the most stressful settings to top it off). CMHC's and counseling centers are awful (not surprising). All with the obvious caveat of the small n.

Only one that really surprised me was 90k for elementary and secondary schools, though I suspect its skewed by the minimum being 20 years in the field.

Research positions seems about in line with what I expect. 60k for a 9 month sounds about right, figure 70-80k for those who can find summer funding via grants or teaching. I'm a little surprised the full professor average was only 100k...I was expecting closer to 120. Then again, I've been biased by medical settings, which seem to pay better for academics.

Overall, it ain't great, but I'm content with the salary for the jobs I'm likely to pursue. Again, I don't know what counts in these salary surveys (is it annual income or just the "salary" your primary employer pays?), but I feel like there are other opportunities available to me to boost my income above the mean if I want. Either way, I had a decent life growing up and my starting salary will be far more than anyone else in my family made even 30 years in.

so i guess this must be why every person i know in this field has multiple income streams...

Members don't see this ad :)
Although it would be a small n, I would like to see the salaries for prescribing psychologists on the salary survey.

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, even if I'm wildly successful, I don't know that I'd make even half of what my father does/did. . . and that goes for most of my family members. Least financially successful = me.

Don't worry, hyper-inflation is coming to fix that. ;)

Mark