Why would a school rescind an acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amakhosidlo

Accepted
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious...

If one:

Totally bombs academically? (C's or worse?)
Gives up all volunteering upon acceptance?
Quits a job/service program they'd made a commitment to? (TFA, Americorps, etc)?

Members don't see this ad.

All 3 I can imagine you would be in a lot of trouble (minus the volunteering since they cant really check that) .. and unless that program you committed to contacts your school I cant see how they would find that out.. grades though you might get put under probation or send them a letter explaining it etc.. but the main thing is if they find out you dropped all that stuff you are going to have problems because that just proves you did it to pad your app. Which in and of itself is not a good thing.. especially the dropping out of Americorps thing.. that just sounds like a dirty thing to do.

i havnt heard of rescinding acceptances, but i have heard of rescinding interviews. Someone on the MCW thread had their interview rescinded (sorry to this poster) b/c of being CHARGED rather than being found guilty of a crimel....which must suck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reasons we have negated an acceptance/degree:
  • False information found on application.
  • Not successfully completing degree.
  • Not successfully completing any courses registered for.
  • Lying during interview
  • False representation of volunteering experience.
  • Felony convictions before or during medical school.

We have negated a couple of degrees after they have been conferred which means no MD after 4 years of work because of false information on application.

Once you graduate, you can commit your felonies then.

Someone on the MCW thread had their interview rescinded (sorry to this poster) b/c of being CHARGED rather than being found guilty of a crimel

Can you post the link to that?

Two or three years ago, as I recall, there was a thread about a guy who had his acceptance rescinded. If my memory serves me correctly, the guy showed up for second look weekend, got totally and outrageously drunk at the main social event, sexually propositioned various women in a crude way, and insulted the Dean of the Med School in question. I don't remember all of the details, but his behavior was pretty far out on the fringe of what is socially acceptable behavior for medical students.

So, don't do this.

I recall another thread about a guy who was accepted to med school in Florida without having taken the MCAT. Apparently, his father was very well connected with the governor of Florida and political influence was exerted to allow this young man to be admitted without taking the MCAT, it caused quite an outcry among faculty, and there was an effort to rescind this kid's acceptance and to oust the Dean of the Med School. I don't remember how it all ended.

Presumably everyone currently on this forum who is holding an acceptance has a valid MCAT score - so I would not worry about the Florida situation. But if you cannot hold your liquour, be careful at Second Look Weekends. Above all, do not insult or sexually proposition the Dean of the Med School.

Last edited:
Two or three years ago, as I recall, there was a thread about a guy who had his acceptance rescinded. If my memory serves me correctly, the guy showed up for second look weekend, got totally and outrageously drunk at the main social event, sexually propositioned various women in a crude way, and insulted the Dean of the Med School in question. I don't remember all of the details, but his behavior was pretty far out on the fringe of what is socially acceptable behavior for medical students.

So, don't do this.

I recall another thread about a guy who was accepted to med school in Florida without having taken the MCAT. Apparently, his father was very well connected with the governor of Florida and political influence was exerted to allow this young man to be admitted without taking the MCAT, it caused quite an outcry among faculty, and there was an effort to rescind this kid's acceptance and to oust the Dean of the Med School. I don't remember how it all ended.

Presumably everyone currently on this forum who is holding an acceptance has a valid MCAT score - so I would not worry about the Florida situation. But if you cannot hold your liquour, be careful at Second Look Weekends. Above all, do not insult or sexually proposition the Dean of the Med School.

Thank goodness I don't drink alcohol!

Reactions: 1 user
Short of lying, committing a crime or failing out of school, you should be fine. I'm personally not doing to well this semester because of interviews, illness, upper level science teachers and bad luck. As long as you have a valid reason as to why you dropped something (minus classes) or did poorly, I don't think you should be worried.

In fact, now that I have a couple acceptances, I'm considering dropping a minor that would take me 5 classes next semester to complete just because I would like to sit back and relax a little more than I did when I was a gunner. I think we've earned it.

What about this scenario... you have 3 majors (a dual degree) and you convert one major to a minor during your senior year due to having interviews and work. As a result, you graduate with 2 majors and a minor on a single degree.

Rescind or Accept?

So, don't do this.

That first scenario, if I remember correctly was at HMS. It was posted all over SDN. I don't know what came of the FL decision, though.

That first scenario, if I remember correctly was at HMS. It was posted all over SDN. I don't know what came of the FL decision, though.

The Florida one was from UF, the kid stayed on. Must be awkward tho.

The Florida one was from UF, the kid stayed on. Must be awkward tho.

:eek: Well... that sucks... for the rest of the hard working students that got in based on their own merit...

• False information found on application.
  • Not successfully completing degree.
  • Not successfully completing any courses registered for.
  • Lying during interview
  • False representation of volunteering experience.
Why would people do that?? Whats the number of people who actually lie about volunteering or such things?

Members don't see this ad :)
[/LIST]
Why would people do that?? Whats the number of people who actually lie about volunteering or such things?

I remember some threads from a few months ago discussing padding volunteer hours and chances of getting caught (does the hospital keep a log, etc.).

the guy showed up for second look weekend, got totally and outrageously drunk at the main social event, sexually propositioned various women in a crude way, and insulted the Dean of the Med School in question. I don't remember all of the details, but his behavior was pretty far out on the fringe of what is socially acceptable behavior for medical students.

On the FRINGE of what is acceptable behavior? If that's only on the fringe, I'd hate to see what kind of behavior actually CROSSES the line... :)

Last edited:
What about this scenario... you have 3 majors (a dual degree) and you convert one major to a minor during your senior year due to having interviews and work. As a result, you graduate with 2 majors and a minor on a single degree.

Rescind or Accept?

If you're holding an acceptance, you can always check with your school and ask if it would be a problem to adjust your major/minor/etc if you're concerned.

Let's see... people who neglect to note any institutional action because it's "been rescinded, they've been cleared, or no one would ever find out?"

Not mentioning anything they've been charged with because it's been "expunged from their record" or other thing like it was pre-18 or something like that.

People who pad their GPAs by not mentioning a CC where they bombed some courses.

The average pre-medical student does not have perfect ethics. Around the time when the AMCAS is running, you'll see a lot of students talk about whether they should include something on their AMCAS, especially IA or Misdemeanor/Felony issues they have.

If you're holding an acceptance, you can always check with your school and ask if it would be a problem to adjust your major/minor/etc if you're concerned.

I'm not sure. I've mentioned it at 3 or 4 interviews and I've been accepted at all those places. I didn't mention it at a few places because it never really came up in conversation. It's not something I planned on happening. My thoughts are that schools aren't so ridiculous that they'd rescind an acceptance simply because you went from 3 majors to 2 while still maintaining a high level of academic performance. I guess I was just hoping others would agree with me lol.

I'm not sure. I've mentioned it at 3 or 4 interviews and I've been accepted at all those places. I didn't mention it at a few places because it never really came up in conversation. It's not something I planned on happening. My thoughts are that schools aren't so ridiculous that they'd rescind an acceptance simply because you went from 3 majors to 2 while still maintaining a high level of academic performance. I guess I was just hoping others would agree with me lol.

human beings are dynamic, you can't expect that every detail you described on some piece of paper be played out to the T a year later. I'm sure they understand..

Let's see... people who neglect to note any institutional action because it's "been rescinded, they've been cleared, or no one would ever find out?"

Not mentioning anything they've been charged with because it's been "expunged from their record" or other thing like it was pre-18 or something like that.

People who pad their GPAs by not mentioning a CC where they bombed some courses.

The average pre-medical student does not have perfect ethics. Around the time when the AMCAS is running, you'll see a lot of students talk about whether they should include something on their AMCAS, especially IA or Misdemeanor/Felony issues they have.

Do you think they will resend if something was left out that a student really didn't know should be on the app? I did this and I am awaiting the school to decide what happens now. It was a stupid minor legal thing.

With the volunteering how long must you stay on after you get accepted? One of my volunteer was something like doing mundane work in a hospital (delivering medicine, water, food, etc.) but I had a bunch of hours for it and on my amcas I put start date - present. Recently I haven't been doing it because of interviews/school and am now considering dropping it all together. Would that be ok? or can I get rescinded?

Also for the guy who put that people get rescinded 4 years later - what did they get rescinded for? Was it something like the guy put that he went to africa when he never did or what? (I can't imagine them checking every volunteering position for accuracy..)

would it be considered lying if I didn't put one of my research experiences in my experiences application? I didn't really have a good mentor and I found the research boring, although I got credits for the research, I don't want to put it down on my application because I probability wouldn't be able to explain my research really well. I have other research experiences like the one im currently doing and love and have great mentors and would be able to explain it perfectly so that I will put on my experience section. Hmmm, I could try to fill up all 15 of the experience sections so that it wouldn't be my fault if I didn't have enough space to incorporate the crappy research I had. Does vacationing abroad count as an experience?

would it be considered lying if I didn't put one of my research experiences in my experiences application? I didn't really have a good mentor and I found the research boring, although I got credits for the research, I don't want to put it down on my application because I probability wouldn't be able to explain my research really well. I have other research experiences like the one im currently doing and love and have great mentors and would be able to explain it perfectly so that I will put on my experience section. Hmmm, I could try to fill up all 15 of the experience sections so that it wouldn't be my fault if I didn't have enough space to incorporate the crappy research I had. Does vacationing abroad count as an experience?

No to both Qs.

So, don't do this.

What about insulting the women and propositioning the dean? Deans need love too.

Not mentioning anything they've been charged with because it's been "expunged from their record" or other thing like it was pre-18 or something like that. QUOTE]

wow. thankfully you did NOT apply to law school, something tells me you might not last a week...or weekend for that matter.

you do not have to report to a school that you were CHARGED with a crime. In the United States you are allowed (under the constitution) to face your accused, and demand a quick and speedy trial. The same document ensures that you can not be discriminated for being CHARGED with a crime. "Innocent Until Proven Guilty." dude...you def. took one too many 400 level bio courses when all you had to do was take a high school law and goverment class to expand your practical knowledge in the society we live in.

if its expunged....its clear. don't like it?...run for congress and pass a bill or an amendment:rolleyes:

Last edited:
What happens if someone was accepted a month into a non-required course they couldn't drop because they needed the financial aid money for rent, and decided to vacation and relax until medical school starts?

Would failing a non-prereq course that was on an application cause any trouble?

Last edited:
wow. thankfully you did NOT apply to law school, something tells me you might not last a week...or weekend for that matter.

you do not have to report to a school that you were CHARGED with a crime. In the United States you are allowed (under the constitution) to face your accused, and demand a quick and speedy trial. The same document ensures that you can not be discriminated for being CHARGED with a crime. "Innocent Until Proven Guilty." dude...you def. took one too many 400 level bio courses when all you had to do was take a high school law and goverment class to expand your practical knowledge in the society we live in.

if its expunged....its clear. don't like it?...run for congress and pass a bill or an amendment:rolleyes:
Some schools require you to include anything you have been charged with on the secondary.

Wow, so I take it you have your GED in law, obtained over the internet from a Mexican law school?

Hate to rain on your parade of ignorance, but here is some information that might be useful for your future diatribes:

The terms "expungement" and "sealing" are often used interchangeably, but there are some differences. "Sealing" is when criminal records are hidden from the general public. "Expunging" a criminal record means that the record is completely destroyed; it's as if the crime never happened.

Each state has its own definition of expungement, based on different rules and laws. Some states may not use the term "expungement," but rather terms like "expunction," "removal," or "destruction" of criminal records. And even if the term "expungement" is used, the records may not completely "disappear" and may still be available to law enforcement.

http://criminal.lawyers.com/Criminal-Law--Expungement-FAQ.html#7

the_more_you_know2.jpg

Some states do allow you to claim that an expunged crime never occurred though, even while under oath. Like you said though, the law varies by state.

I think some schools require that you at least get C's in all your required classes to keep your acceptance. At my school, once we're accepted as long as we finish our degree, we're good. I was pretty scared I'd get a 'D' in biochem so I checked. No worries though, pulled off the 'C'! Senioritis FTW.

Basically, don't lie on your application. If you have falsified ANYTHING leading up to your acceptance you could have the acceptance taken away.

After application and acceptance, read your acceptance letter VERY carefully. Some are quite specific (as in "complete all coursework listed or reported with a 3.0 or better"), some are a little more lax ("complete all coursework required for graduation in an acceptable fashion" - generally taken to mean C or better). Some have a morals clause - if you mess up and get arrested you may have a problem. Read your letter very carefully.

If you have questions about whether you can drop a course or two that you have reported as being "in progress" or "will take" then you should call the schools that have accepted you to make sure it's not a problem. And get the answer in writing.

i havnt heard of rescinding acceptances, but i have heard of rescinding interviews. Someone on the MCW thread had their interview rescinded (sorry to this poster) b/c of being CHARGED rather than being found guilty of a crimel....which must suck.

MCW will also rescind if you don't submit your credit report. (By the deadline of 4/1)

to be fair though, they are pretty clear about it, and i got a call to remind me about it as well.

Got a 3.1 after never having gotten below a 3.45 including a C in a 4 credit required Bio Lab (which sucked balls btw) and had no issues...def senioritis ftw (although this was last yr)

I think some schools require that you at least get C's in all your required classes to keep your acceptance. At my school, once we're accepted as long as we finish our degree, we're good. I was pretty scared I'd get a 'D' in biochem so I checked. No worries though, pulled off the 'C'! Senioritis FTW.

oh good : ) i'm in like the exact situation (im pretty sure i'll pull off a C at least) . i already have my prereqs done but biochem has been killing me this semester.

"With the volunteering how long must you stay on after you get accepted? One of my volunteer was something like doing mundane work in a hospital (delivering medicine, water, food, etc.) but I had a bunch of hours for it and on my amcas I put start date - present. Recently I haven't been doing it because of interviews/school and am now considering dropping it all together. Would that be ok? or can I get rescinded?"

I would like to know too. Not that I plan to stop anytime soon, but until how long after an acceptance should I continue with my volunteer activities? Like the poster above, I put my activities on the AMCAS with a start date - present. After an acceptance, do I need to notify schools that I have stopped with a particular activity? Can they rescind an acceptance if I abruptly stop a volunteering activity? Just wondering, thank you guys!