Can/will I get my medical school acceptance rescinded because I told a test prep academic advisor to "go f*** yourself"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Artaurius

Reaction score
There is a test prep company that removed me from their course because I complained about their policy. They removed me from their course without my consent or me asking to be removed. I later switched courses and was later accepted into a medical school. An academic advisor called me from this first company to ask me questions and I told him where I got accepted (I shouldn't have), and later in the conversation I told him to "go f*** yourself" (I really shouldn't have) because I'm very upset with how the company discharged me from their course without my permission. I understand they essentially can do whatever they want in terms of removing students from their courses I guess but I thought it was really wrong and uncalled for.
Since I told this academic advisor from a test prep company where I got accepted and assuming he remembers the name of the school and contacts the school about the incident, can/will the medical school rescind their acceptance? I tried calling this academic advisor a few times to apologize but he didn't pick up which I understand. I'm thinking about leaving an apology voicemail. This was out of character for me and will try never to do something like that again.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I mean it's possible I suppose. More experienced forum members can probably speak from experience here, I really can't. I'd leave an apology voicemail and move on. Hopefully this employee isn't petty enough to try to hurt your career over you being rude on a phone call.

Please take this to heart- you'll be in a TON of stupid situations in medical training, and this kind of outburst can absolutely harm your career.

But I personally don't think this is something to have an acceptance rescinded over, it's just really poor form

Reactions: 7 users
I mean it's possible I suppose. More experienced forum members can probably speak from experience here, I really can't. I'd leave an apology voicemail and move on. Hopefully this employee isn't petty enough to try to hurt your career over you being rude on a phone call.

Please take this to heart- you'll be in a TON of stupid situations in medical training, and this kind of outburst can absolutely harm your career.

But I personally don't think this is something to have an acceptance rescinded over, it's just really poor form
I see what you’re saying. I wish I had a Time Machine to change that dumb mistake. I really have to work on that to make sure I never do something like that again.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a paper trail or was this conversation recorded? If not I think you'll be ok. Just be extra careful about stuff like this in the future.

Is there a paper trail or was this conversation recorded? If not I think you'll be ok. Just be extra careful about stuff like this in the future.
There is no paper trail but I think this company records telephone conversations. Not sure if they record conversations only when you call in or all conversations. He called me out of the blue and so I don’t know. I would have thought they can’t record me without my consent. When I used to call them I believe there was a recording saying the calls are recorded. When he called me there was no warning of the call being recorded. Not sure if the context changes things with respect to recordings since he was the caller.

I have a hard time believing an admissions committee will entertain a random test prep company employee calling them and telling them about your behavior. Most adcoms probably wouldn’t care or wouldn’t feel that this rises to a point where an acceptance should be rescinded. Unless this person is the sibling of the dean of admissions, and even then it would be highly irregular to rescind an A through such an unconventional means. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I have a hard time believing an admissions committee will entertain a random test prep company employee calling them and telling them about your behavior. Most adcoms probably wouldn’t care or wouldn’t feel that this rises to a point where an acceptance should be rescinded. Unless this person is like the sibling of the dean of admissions and even then it would be highly irregular to rescind an A through such an unconventional means. Am I wrong?
I'm on my school's admissions committee and I wouldn't care if somebody told me this. But I'm a dumb M2, so if a faculty member comes on here and contradicts me, y'all should probably believe them :)

I have a hard time believing an admissions committee will entertain a random test prep company employee calling them and telling them about your behavior. Most adcoms probably wouldn’t care or wouldn’t feel that this rises to a point where an acceptance should be rescinded. Unless this person is like the sibling of the dean of admissions and even then it would be highly irregular to rescind an A through such an unconventional means. Am I wrong?
I was thinking the same thing but I don’t know. If let’s say hypothetically some random person called your employer to say you did x, y, and z without any evidence how can they take their claim seriously? If they rescind in this type of situation what does that mean for every student? Anyone can call up a school randomly and state a student said or did something without any support? That’s why I’m also hesitant to leave a voicemail because that would create evidence when there may be none to begin with. Irrespective, I am very sorry and it was really idiotic of me.

Bud, you’re fine. Why would the adcom of your med school trust some random disgruntled test prep company employee? Unless this person is on the faculty of the med school you’re going to, I would not worry about this at all.

Reactions: 2 users
I would not worry about this incident. However, as an adult and a doctor, it bears repeating that acting rashly can have harmful and irreversable consequences. No matter what the provocation, it will behoove your career and your state of mind to remind yourself to be the bigger person at all times.

Reactions: 5 users
Dude you are fine. Just learn your lesson now and move on.

The lesson is, IT IS NEVER WORTH IT.

Hot heads are fired, kicked out, ousted, etc. People do NOT like to work with them. Do this again and it can cost your career.

Reactions: 5 users
Pack your sunscreen, I hear the flights are a little cheaper over the winter ;)

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 4 users