podiatry job outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sorry i'm new idk what this is

• nvm

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • nvm

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

nothing

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied to podiatry schools a few weeks ago and I got two interviews 4 days after I applied. I haven't done any shadowing, but I plan on it. ANYWAYS, my question is why do podiatry schools seem almost desperate for applicants. Is it hard to find a job once you finish residency? how come its not as competitive as other health fields (such as pharmacy, MD or DO, physician assistant, dentistry, etc)? I don't want to spend 7 years of my life going to school and then end up just cutting nails (I say that because I contacted one podiatrist to shadow and his receptionist said thats all he does) or jobless because if you open your own clinic it seems like its a really narrow field. So, what is the TRUTH about the job outlook for podiatrists?!

Members don't see this ad.

So I applied to podiatry schools a few weeks ago and I got two interviews 4 days after I applied. I haven't done any shadowing, but I plan on it. ANYWAYS, my question is why do podiatry schools seem almost desperate for applicants. Is it hard to find a job once you finish residency? how come its not as competitive as other health fields (such as pharmacy, MD or DO, physician assistant, dentistry, etc)? I don't want to spend 7 years of my life going to school and then end up just cutting nails (I say that because I contacted one podiatrist to shadow and his receptionist said thats all he does) or jobless because if you open your own clinic it seems like its a really narrow field. So, what is the TRUTH about the job outlook for podiatrists?!

Use the search function on SDN or even just google.

You are very misinformed about the state of podiatry today, do some basic research on the field and then most every body on SDN will be happy to answer any questions you still have.

Last edited:
I wouldn't haven't posted on here if I hadn't already done that. I wanted to know what everyone on here had to say and how they felt about my specific question, which I didn't see was posted anywhere else (sorry if it has and I missed it), but thanks for your response.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't haven't posted on here if I hadn't already done that. I wanted to know what everyone on here had to say and how they felt about my specific question, which I didn't see was posted anywhere else (sorry if it has and I missed it), but thanks for your response.

You're not looking hard enough. This question comes up at least once a week.

AFCAS (american college of foot and ankle surgeons) released a report saying:
59% of members expect to see more patients in the next 3 years
23% of members saw their net income increase more than 10% in 2009
42% of members plan to expand their practice by 2012 (if the mayans are wrong)

AFCAS members are probably some of the better off pods since they tend to have higher levels of surgical training than some non-members.

I suggest you contact a few more pods. Their is nothing wrong with talking to a guy that just does nails. It is an important part of podiatry, but it is not fully representative of the profession.

This question has been answered every day for the last fuc%ing decade!!!

It would be cool if people would just answer my question instead of saying its already been asked, maybe it has been asked in some variation but I haven't seen a true answer to it. If you have seen it pasting a link would be appropriate. anyways, I was looking at this site ...

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos075.htm#emply

and I began to wonder.. there were 12,000 podiatrists employed in 2006 with a projected 9% increase to 2016. So, with that said are there abundant jobs based on how many podiatrists finish residency every year?

Reactions: 1 user
thanks air bud for a usefel response!

The outlook for Podiatry is really positive. Obviously the extent of this positivity depends on where you look or who you ask. I have read from multiple sources saying and quoting data showing the increasing need for podiatrists. As Air Bud said, I would shadow other pods and get their perspective. When doing so, I would visit with older pods and younger pods so you can get a variety of opinions.

For those of you who just respond to say "search harder" and all kinds of other crap. Step it up and try to be more helpful in a positive way. I realize that the majority of posters who do this are pre-pods but those who aren't really need to take a different approach and try and help people learn and gain a positive perspective on the profession. One of the things that really attracted me to Podiatry is that all the Doctors I shadowed were friendly and willing to help and much more laid back than other physicians. It drives me crazy when people on here are jerks and very arrogant. Especially the pre-pods who think they already know everything or know better than those who have gone before them.

I've asked some questions here and gotten a lot of helpful information. However, I did a lot more searching and reading older threads when I was getting up to speed on Podiatry than I did creating new threads.

At least in my case, the advice to use the search function is given in this type of situation precisely because I am a pre-pod. The only information I know pertaining to the field is second hand, largely learned by reading what others with more perspective have posted here. :thumbup:

== Side note==

IMO if you are going to ask a question of someone that would require time and energy on their part to answer, it's a matter of respect that you exhaust your own resources attempting to find the answer before hand.

I've asked some questions here and gotten a lot of helpful information. However, I did a lot more searching and reading older threads when I was getting up to speed on Podiatry than I did creating new threads.

At least in my case, the advice to use the search function is given in this type of situation precisely because I am a pre-pod. The only information I know pertaining to the field is second hand, largely learned by reading what others with more perspective have posted here. :thumbup:

== Side note==

IMO if you are going to ask a question of someone that would require time and energy on their part to answer, it's a matter of respect that you exhaust your own resources attempting to find the answer before hand.

or you can wait for someone who doesnt mind spending the time and energy to post something of use so as to not put out people who find responses to be mentally and physically exhausting

to the OP. When you google podiatry, many of the top results are old numbers and antiquated opinions. I would think you have run into the great angelfire site. These forums can be useful. There are many attendings on here that post, and have been responsive to thoughtful inquiries by prospective students. Also, numbers from podiatry publications can be of use too. Granted, they are likely to be biased in favor of podiatry, but you need to gather a lot of opinions and make educated decisions. Good luck.

wow, I never knew about angelfire

http://www.angelfire.com/on/podiatry/

If thats the website u were referring to, this guy is pretty discouraging. I'll continue researching all over the place though and make my decision after I've shadowed. Thanks a lot though, you've really been helpful. :)

wow, I never knew about angelfire

http://www.angelfire.com/on/podiatry/

If thats the website u were referring to, this guy is pretty discouraging. I'll continue researching all over the place though and make my decision after I've shadowed. Thanks a lot though, you've really been helpful. :)

That is a terrible website. In many many cases, the author fails to acknowledge a counterpoint. My favorite part of that website is the link to see what "other podiatrists think about the profession." Its all negative. He hand picks entries and leaves out others opinions who likely had a positive perspective of the profession.

Although I can not speak from experience I am sure there are many MD/DO/DDS/other health professionals who feel trapped in their profession. Actually I believe I read a statistic somewhere that dentists have the second highest suicide rate by profession. The first being psychiatrists.

Shadow, shadow, shadow. Its the most important thing you can do right now. When I shadowed I saw much much more than just toe nail clipping (although nail clipping is a part of the profession). You can PM me if you want to know more about what I saw when I shadowed.

I dont know if it easy for pods to get jobs; however, the ones that I know and are working, make very good living. They all own big houses (4,000+ square feet) and luxury cars in that very expensive state that I am living now.

Schools seem desperate for applicants because there are not that many that apply and the schools want the best applicants from the limited number they receive. Podiatry is not that well known among pre-med students. I never heard of a Podiatrist until my Junior year of college. Podiatry is starting to be recognized and I have seen better quality students every year. It will start to be competitive in the next 5 years. If you look at admission stats for Denstistry and other medical speciatlies, their admission stats were not as high 5-10 years ago as they are now. Get into Podiatry now, because it is going to boom. Their will be plenty of jobs available, if not, you can start your own "job" (practice). I will hire you if you don't find a job. After residency you will be well trained to perform many procedures, or you can just cut nails, but you will want to utilize all the skills you have acquired. I suggest you do some research on AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PODIATRIC PRACTICE MANAGEMENT's website. I have been to many of their roundtable discussions where htey field questions about the ones you asked. They are very encouraging and have many resources to help Podiatrists succeed. Also look at the Diabetes rates in the US. They need Podiatrists! All of your questions have been answered. Do we truly know the OUTLOOK of Podiatry, No, but I will take my chances with the HIGH probability that it will be very successful. Try to get into contact with anyone from the AAPPM website and speak to one of the Podiatrists affiliated with them, whether at a conference or on the phone. Hope this helps.

oops. another example of sarcasm not translating to writing. by "great angelfire site" I meant horrible. my bad.

Podiatry is a fairly narrow field like Dentistry, you are basically trained to focus on foot and ankle problems. Its not as competitive as MD, DO, or other fields because its not as well known.