My road to neurology...

Started by Prez
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Prez

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

My first post...

Im a recent med grad from a "top 40" medical school, I have a rather rollercoaster ride to applying to neurology residencies, I wanted to share my story to relieve my own stress.

I just wrapped up my interviews at neurology programs. This is after almost failing out of medical school, and flunking a USMLE TWICE. I have a long interest in neurology and the brain, did research and published neuroimaging studies. Im a terrible test taker. This is despite graduating at a top undergrad with honors in neuroscience. I did several remedial programs which helped me turn things around in med school and I graduated but did not have the time to apply for residency during senior year. So Im doing research at another medical school this gap year and applied this year. It was good cause I got time to spend with my dad who was very sick and am going to get married!

I applied to 90 neurology programs on ERAS...As soon as I submited, my credit card company called to ask if everything was ok and card was not stolen. I got invited to five interviews. Of them one was "prestigious" Im ranking four programs and six prelim's. My fingers are crossed. If I match it will be a long, hard fought dream come true!
 
Last edited:
Hi,

My first post...

Im a recent med grad from a "top 40" medical school in the northeast, I have a rather rollercoaster ride to applying to neurology residencies, I wanted to share my story to relieve my own stress.

I just wrapped up my interviews at neurology programs. This is after almost failing out of medical school, and flunking a USMLE TWICE. I have a long interest in neurology and the brain, did research and published neuroimaging studies. Im a terrible test taker. This is despite graduating at a top undergrad with honors in neuroscience. At one point the dean of my medical school told me to drop out of school, she's a tyrant! I did several remedial programs which helped me turn things around in med school and I graduated but did not have the time to apply for residency during senior year. So Im doing research at another medical school this gap year and applied this year. It was good cause I got time to spend with my dad who was very sick and am going to get married!

I applied to 90 neurology programs on ERAS...As soon as I submited, my credit card company called to ask if everything was ok and card was not stolen. I got invited to five interviews. Of them one was "prestigious" Im ranking four programs and six prelim's. My fingers are crossed. If I match it will be a long, hard fought dream come true!

Good luck in the match! Thanks for sharing your story.
 
I hope everything works out for you!
Am I understanding correctly that you decided not to rank one of the places you interviewed at? Are you sure you want to do that? The scramble is getting harder every year, and the longer you're out of med school the more it gets scrutinized, so you might want to consider that matching at a program you don't like might be better than risking not getting into anything at all.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hope everything works out for you!
Am I understanding correctly that you decided not to rank one of the places you interviewed at? Are you sure you want to do that? The scramble is getting harder every year, and the longer you're out of med school the more it gets scrutinized, so you might want to consider that matching at a program you don't like might be better than risking not getting into anything at all.
The program Im not ranking I really hated. The program director even told me during the interview that I have a slim chance of match there. It came down to Id rather not match than go to this program.
 
Ha ha...I would say something more explicit, but alas I already graduated...🙂

Tomorrow will be the icing on the cake :luck:

curious, what med school(or undergrad if you feel more comfortable with that) did you go to? I'm wondering if we will be at the same place tommorrow🙂
 
curious, what med school(or undergrad if you feel more comfortable with that) did you go to? I'm wondering if we will be at the same place tommorrow🙂
Seriously though, I consider myself really lucky to be in the position Im in. I am greatly humbled....2hours,20 minutes left...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Man, Im so lucky...Im in a great neuro program. Im really excited. It wasnt my first choice but honestly, this is the best match for me. Its in a really exciting city for me and my wife. I hope my experiences help those in similar situations. Things tend to work out for the best🙂 If your passionate about neurology...you will get there. Thank G-D!
 
Congrats! You did it. Now the hard part begins.

Good fortunes to you.

Pat

I should think that after having sick family and almost flunking out of medical school, the hardest part is over. Will (s)he work harder and more hours than ever before? Probably, yes. Will there be a constant cloud of uncertainty overhead? Hopefully not.