Christian Clinical PhD/PsyD Programs in CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied to and heard from the following schools:
- Fuller Theological Seminary
- Biola Rosemead School of Psychology

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone applied to and heard from the following schools:
- Fuller Theological Seminary
- Biola Rosemead School of Psychology

I did not ever end up applying there, just wanted to quickly say good luck. When I started this whole process eons ago, those two were my favorites.

I applied to both - accepted to Fuller, rejected by Rosemead, which was ok because I didn't care for Rosemead's program after the interview. Have you heard yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to both - accepted to Fuller, rejected by Rosemead, which was ok because I didn't care for Rosemead's program after the interview. Have you heard yet?

same outcome for me but I was reeeeeeeally wanting Rosemead because their religious doctrine is closest to a Calvary Chapel approach and Fuller is so kind of liberal that I feared the lines would be very blurry for me regarding biblical teachings.

Yeah -

Calvary is very conservative, so I can see your reservations. Don't be too bummed by Fuller though - they have a very wide spectrum of representation, from conservative to liberal (though those terms are so vague). Plus, I guess you have to decide on how grounded you are theologically, as you are studying to be a psychologist, not a theologian. My prayers are with you.

Yeah -

Calvary is very conservative, so I can see your reservations. Don't be too bummed by Fuller though - they have a very wide spectrum of representation, from conservative to liberal (though those terms are so vague). Plus, I guess you have to decide on how grounded you are theologically, as you are studying to be a psychologist, not a theologian. My prayers are with you.

I am in total agreement, I guess I am just concerned I am not biblically knowledgeable to be able to discern from biblically sound or made up nonsense. Going to a place that was more in line with my view would just make it easier and I'd feel less concerned with being taught things that are questionable.

I can now say I have the choice between Azusa Pacific and Fuller and now I'm having a harder time deciding between PsyD and PhD.

Obviously Azusa feels a little safer for me religion wise but it is a tempting offer that Fuller has given with the PhD.

I am fervently in prayer and is putting this all in God's hands but a little outside advice from you guys can't hurt ;)

I can now say I have the choice between Azusa Pacific and Fuller and now I'm having a harder time deciding between PsyD and PhD.

MiJac- I take it you got off Azusa's waitlist? Congrats :) Please keep me informed of your decision.:thumbup:

MiJac- I take it you got off Azusa's waitlist? Congrats :) Please keep me informed of your decision.:thumbup:

I DID!!!! I bet I got your spot so thanks!!! :D

I'm still deciding on which program. Is your degree at Rosemead a PhD or a PsyD? I forgot which one you were pursuing.

but i like rosemead because they're so big on personal development. i get the vibe that rosemead gives their students more attention to succeed. at my APU psy.d interview, a faculty there even told me how rosemead produces one of the best therapists..

anyhow. any thoughts anyone?

jjahxshik- Do you feel that you desire a heavier research focus? Because, Fuller's psych program was founded with a direct research focus and later the PsyD was integrated. Conversely, Rosemead was founded with a direct clinical PsyD focus and then later integrated the PhD. That fact attracts different types of students with different focuses.

For what it helps, I will share with you some important points as to why I chose Rosemead over Fuller (no particular order): (1) Offered both PsyD & PhD- I wanted a strong PsyD focus with a taste of the research aspect as well; (2) STRONG concern for each students academic, personal, & spiritual growth throughout the program; (3) Requires personal therapy while in program; (4) Receives NO government funding- so does not need to adhere to govnt requirements in certain aspects; (5) Has both undergrad and grad on campus- which makes for a great pool of clients for clinical practice; (6) The Biola Counseling Center for students and the community is well ran, well equipped, and a GREAT place to do my clinical practice. And, they expanded into the southern Orange County area recently; (7) There are MANY outstanding alumni from that program doing AMAZING things in the world for God; (8) A focus on GOD with the understanding that as clinicians we need to be trained to go out into the world to work with numerous populations, most unchurched.

There are a gazillion more but I thought the list was getting a bit out of control :) Maybe these points can help you to compare your goals and abilities with each program.

Please keep me updated on your decision- maybe I'll see you in the Fall at Rosemead :)

I DID!!!! I bet I got your spot so thanks!!! :D

I'm still deciding on which program. Is your degree at Rosemead a PhD or a PsyD? I forgot which one you were pursuing.

I will be in the PsyD program at Rosemead :) I am excited to hear about your final decision :highfive:

Hey so how/why did you go for the PsyD over PhD?

I knew from the start of my undergrad program that I wanted to work directly with clients in a therapeutic setting and not so much in a research or teaching position. But, I did have a slight change of heart when I went through stats and experimental psych class for the first time. It was my first bit of research experience, which I never thought I would desire, but ended up LOVING it. After those classes, I continued gaining experience as a research assistant and thought it would help solidify if a PhD was where I might want to go. Even though I enjoyed my research assistantship, I knew where my heart was and I wanted to strengthen my clinical skills as much as possible. Also, it was encouraging when all of the grad professors I spoke to at each grad program told me that the PsyD continues to gain greater credibility in the academic teaching and research arena. So, I felt that even if things changed later, and I wanted to teach as well as have my own practice, it would certainly be possible.

Are you still torn between the PsyD @ APU and the PhD @ Fuller?

I knew from the start of my undergrad program that I wanted to work directly with clients in a therapeutic setting and not so much in a research or teaching position. But, I did have a slight change of heart when I went through stats and experimental psych class for the first time. It was my first bit of research experience, which I never thought I would desire, but ended up LOVING it. After those classes, I continued gaining experience as a research assistant and thought it would help solidify if a PhD was where I might want to go. Even though I enjoyed my research assistantship, I knew where my heart was and I wanted to strengthen my clinical skills as much as possible. Also, it was encouraging when all of the grad professors I spoke to at each grad program told me that the PsyD continues to gain greater credibility in the academic teaching and research arena. So, I felt that even if things changed later, and I wanted to teach as well as have my own practice, it would certainly be possible.

Are you still torn between the PsyD @ APU and the PhD @ Fuller?

Oh ok ya I too have had some reassurance about the whole stigma regarding the PsyD. So I take it you are more interested in psychotherapy and individual/group treatment. My focus is more on assessment and diagnosis. I would love to ultimately be a neuropsychologist. I have heard that grad school is what you make of it but I guess I'm wondering how much more difficult it would be with my PsyD.

this Azusa vs Fuller thing is seriously taking its toll on me :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Rosemead is the way to go especially because of reputation and its theological perspectives. I applied to Rosemead, Fuller, and Regent. I was accepted into Fuller and Regent for fall 2010. I was not even put on the waitlist for Rosemead.
The ironic thing about this whole issue is that the only school I had pictured myself going to this whole time, and the only one I had "planned" on going to was the only one that I did not get accepted to due to limited space. So, I was not fully ready to find out that Fuller is about $50,000 a yr, and so I turned to Regent. I have recently found out disturbing news about the school. There had been a controversy in 2007 in the Psychology and Counseling department and 5 of the 11 faculty left because of it... http://hamptonroads.com/2007/12/students,-staff-regent-school-torn-turmoil I have learned that Pat Robertson had established the school, used to be the president and lives on campus as the chancellor. I am horrified to learn of his comments in a Christian Dominionism style. He had said that Haiti is going through through what it is because they signed a pact with the devil. He had agreed with John Falwell that Sept 11th happened to punish the homosexuals, abortion, feminists, and pagans. He said that Hurricane Katrina was God's response to America's abortion policy. There are many more controversies. I am very concerned and do not want to support this in any way. It also says a lot when half of the faculty left in my department because of conviction. I am distressed, to say the least. I will have to go on a search for my program hopefully for the Fall of 2011 if I do not go here. I know I have to pray a lot, and I feel like a lot of people are going to think I am crazy for not going into my psyd program this fall and that I am turning down opportunities.
So the issues are money...I don't believe in taking that much in loans out for a school that isn't even ivy league, and I don't believe in supporting a school that has had so much controversy.
So I am thinking of working this year and reapplying to Rosemead (but I don't know if I even should if I wasn't even on the waiting list) and to other schools I will have researched way in advance. Opinions?

PsychEndeavors- I first and foremost congratulate you on your acceptance to Fuller and Regent :) And, I understand it must be frustrating to not have been accepted to the program you were hoping for- I believe God has different plans though :)

Obviously money talks and if it is not feasible to go to Fuller than it's not feasible. I am curious though what the cost discrepancy will really be after factoring in relocating and living costs?

I am not familiar w/ Regents program other than the solid information found on their program's website. I do not doubt that there was dissension among the students and faculty in 2007 but my concern is with how much!? What is the real story? I say this because the article is from a secular paper with the goal of catching readers attention to sell papers; and, even I know this may or may not be the case for this article, but inflated slanderous news affecting the Christian community is GOLD in the media.

The questions that I ask, so as not to dismiss Regent's psych program too easily, is: What do the current faculty and students have to say about this? There are many strong claims thrown out in the article, what are the sources? Does the article have real credibility to speak about the event? And, this happened over 3 years ago, what has changed/improved since then?

I would be curious to know what current info you were given from the faculty/students at Regent about the situations over the last few years and their thoughts on it. Most importantly, what did you think about their actual psych program?

I think it is wise of you though to not jump right into a program just for the sake of going. And, taking another year to work, save money, and gain more experience for a better app next time is a smart move, especially if you are not pressed to finish school within a certain time.

I know that Azusa has a solid PsyD program with some great faculty members. As for George Fox, I am not familiar. And, if you feel guided to pursue Rosemead next year, then I say make a plan of action to rev-up the app for next year.

Thank you so much for your advice and support! I am getting in contact with students from Regent; the more I get opinions from those who have been through the school the better.

well. looks like it's gonna be Fuller's Ph.D for me.

anyone going to fuller?

I was thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to accepting their offer but it is OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive! What made you choose it? I would have loved to go to their PhD but no way could I afford it :(

I'm going to APU PsyD instead...

I'm going to APU PsyD instead...

MiJac- I read in earlier threads that you were rethinking starting this Fall and waiting; did you decide to continue with starting APU this Fall?

MiJac- I read in earlier threads that you were rethinking starting this Fall and waiting; did you decide to continue with starting APU this Fall?

Ya I'm still debating that.... This decision is seriously taking its toll on me. I've decided to put it on hold and let time reveal the best answer so as of right now I will be starting at APU in the fall.

I do plan however to ask if there is a possibility of deferring my acceptance a year so that if I do decide to reapply and in the worst case scenario do not get into any of the other schools, I'll still have APU to fall back on.

I just don't know if I really want to go through the very expensive and time intensive process of reapplying. Just thinking about it gives me anxiety.

Honestly, if it weren't for the high tuition I would be paying at APU, this decision would be easy. That is the main reason I'm having second thoughts about their program. I know there are repayment incentives and scholarships like the HPSP with the Army that could pay a considerable portion of my schooling but there is always the chance I wouldn't be awarded those scholarships (I know I have a really bad issue with catastrophizing and assuming the worst).

Anyway, to answer your question, I will be starting this fall at APU.

Did I confuse you? :confused::confused::confused:

sorry :laugh:

well. looks like it's gonna be Fuller's Ph.D for me.

anyone going to fuller?

I'll be there with you in the Fall. It was hard to decide, but with my theology units, I can do it in a year shorter than normal plus it really is the oldest integration program in the country. I'm excited.

See you soon.

simplesimon, or you on the ph.d or psy.d track? are you going to move into pasadena anytime soon?

I'm doing the psyd track expecially because I can get done a year faster as I already have an MDiv. I am already in the Pasadena area if you need any help on this side with finding places and stuff. Let me know. I'm so excited about starting - you?

Hi Fellow Christian PhD applicants/candidates/future applicants, etc.

WOW! I am glad to find this threaded discussion in this forum. I am applying to both Rosemead and Fuller.

I am considering other non-Christian schools as well for phd in clinical psych, as they are more cost-effective (BUT HIGHLY competitive).

I am curious, how each of you are expecting to pay for these programs?

I know there are loans, but I have heard many horror stories of graduating from private schools with monthly loan rates of $1000.

I'd love to hear what you are planning to do, because I am trying to figure out a way that is financially feasible for my husband and I when I go back to school. Thanks!

Hey there,
Saw this thread and thought I could give you my two cents on this one. I applied to Rosemead and Fuller's PhD programs and was accepted a year ago to both of them. I also applied to PhD programs at other public universities as you are talking about doing. I got accepted to a public university with full funding and elected to go there. People who attend Rosemead and Fuller typically come out with over 100,000 in debt. After attending Fuller's interview I found that I would be expected to come out with at least probably 150,000 in debt b/c they have very very limited funding. Not to scare you, but psychologists really don't make that much afterwards and on top of living in LA, I honestly thought it was ridiculous to expect students to take on that much debt. They try to sell the whole Christian thing, which is very important, but the amount of debt you are expected to go into was a HUGE deterrent to me picking these programs. I felt that people who picked these programs were not considering the financial strain they will be in five years down the road from it. I'm sure many people will disagree with me on this, but that is my two cents. And why even as a Christian, I elected to go to a public school over these two programs. Also, though I was really lucky to be accepted to a program with full funding and these are pretty scarce nowadays, I would also consider even just other public schools with lower tuition rates. I guess I felt pretty strongly after interviewing at these two schools and others will more funding that they try to convince you that the Christian angle is worth going into that much debt for, but i just in the end didn't feel like it was worth putting that financial strain on myself. Good luck to you, and I hope you are able to get multiple perspectives on this topic. Just make sure to really think about how much psychologists really make and how much they expect you to pay for these two programs, I sometimes think people don't really consider this before they go in and then quite a few (at Rosemead at least) end up joining the military so they can pay it back.......