2010-2011 Loyola (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

1. What do you consider a valuable experience in your personal development? This might be a decision you have made, an achievement of which you are particularly proud, or a person who has influenced your life.

2. Please provide information or experiences working with individuals from diverse backgrounds. What were they? and how did they affect you?

3. Describe briefly how you have dealt with a personal or academic problem you have encountered.

4. How did you reach your decision to enter medicine? Describe your participation in any health care or other activities, which reinforced your decision. (Please include any experience involving the care of others.)

5. Please describe any self-education, research, or independent scholastic work have you undertaken and what do you feel you have accomplished in this work.

6. If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student during the current academic year, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school.

7. Please use this space to bring the information contained on your AMCAS application up-to-date. Indicate grades earned, alterations in your proposed course work or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of activities, and anything else you feel we should know.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,
Does anyone know if Loyola accepts international students. I am a Canadian citizen and was interested in applying here.
Thanks,
maadaputtar

Does anyone know what the screening process is? I have a 3.92 GPA and a 27M. (10 P, 7V, 10B).

I am scheduled to retake the test on July 8th? would you suggest I do

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is really quiet. Probably because we are all too busy working on the massive secondary :)

hahaha i know! it is a beast.

but i would absolutely LOVE to go to loyola :)

its definitely a top choice of mine!

Does anyone know what the screening process is? I have a 3.92 GPA and a 27M. (10 P, 7V, 10B).

i would wait. i am fairly certain they screen below an 8 in any section.

they are known for taking their time processing secondaries, extending invites, etc. so even if you don't submit the primary til august, i don't think that would be too late. maybe someone else who made it past the screen with a 7 will correct me if i am wrong- but if you submit now i wouldn't be surprised if you did not get the secondary

This thread is really quiet. Probably because we are all too busy working on the massive secondary :)

hahaha i know! it is a beast.

but i would absolutely LOVE to go to loyola :)

its definitely a top choice of mine!

So have you guys already gotten the secondary invite or are you working based off last years'? I haven't heard anything from them yet...does Loyola screen for secondaries?

So have you guys already gotten the secondary invite or are you working based off last years'? I haven't heard anything from them yet...does Loyola screen for secondaries?

Just based on last years.. I think its been pretty much the same the past few years. I haven't started yet on this one- swamped with others currently.

The MSAR says that Loyola sends secondaries to screened applicants- but I think its a low GPA/MCAT screen. I'm guessing they'll start coming out late July, based on when people got it last year.

I received a secondary from Loyola two years ago with a 7 in the physics subsection (got it up to a 11 this year) so you should be able to pass the initial screening -- most likely (I am also an IL resident though). But they will wait till your July 8th scores come out before examining your application hopefully -- and completing everything around August 10th is still pretty early so it might be worth holding off until your retook everything.

I got the secondary last Thursday. They do screen but I am pretty sure its a low one (according to last years thread). You have to pay before you can access it though and you only have a month from the receipt of the email so pre-writing is a good idea :) Wish I had lol

I got the secondary last Thursday. They do screen but I am pretty sure its a low one (according to last years thread). You have to pay before you can access it though and you only have a month from the receipt of the email so pre-writing is a good idea :) Wish I had lol

Lucky. I want mine asap lol, I'm almost done with the questions and Loyola's one of my top choices :)

Lucky. I want mine asap lol, I'm almost done with the questions and Loyola's one of my top choices :)

At the rate I am going through these essays you will be complete long before me. I covered a lot of this in my personal statement so I am struggling to not be repetitive.

What are the questions? Same as last years?

I love Loyola Med-- so come on sending me the secondary and loving me back. :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Supposedly the secondary came out late july last year.. has anyone else received it?

I haven't been verified by AMCAS - would someone mind posting the questions here and the character limit?

Thank you :)

I haven't been verified by AMCAS - would someone mind posting the questions here and the character limit?

i second this...could you do us the honor DocBell? :)

I think they are the same as last year but I am too lazy to go stalk their thread and find out. No character limit but 25 single spaced lines 11 or 12 font. :) Good luck.

And unless the med school is playing a cruel joke and the email with information on logging in and filling out the secondary is lying to me. I am not claiming to receive it I have.

Here are the prompts:
What do you consider a valuable experience in your personal development? This might be a decision you have made, an achievement of which you are particularly proud, or a person who has influenced your life.

Please provide information or experiences working with individuals from diverse backgrounds. What were they? and how did they affect you?

Describe briefly how you have dealt with a personal or academic problem you have encountered.

How did you reach your decision to enter medicine? Describe your participation in any health care or other activities, which reinforced your decision. (Please include any experience involving the care of others.)

Please describe any self-education, research, or independent scholastic work have you undertaken and what do you feel you have accomplished in this work.

If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student during the current academic year, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school.

Please use this space to bring the information contained on your AMCAS application up-to-date. Indicate grades earned, alterations in your proposed course work or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of activities, and anything else you feel we should know.

I think they are the same as last year but I am too lazy to go stalk their thread and find out. No character limit but 25 single spaced lines 11 or 12 font. :) Good luck.

And unless the med school is playing a cruel joke and the email with information on logging in and filling out the secondary is lying to me. I am not claiming to receive it I have.

Here are the prompts:
What do you consider a valuable experience in your personal development? This might be a decision you have made, an achievement of which you are particularly proud, or a person who has influenced your life.

Please provide information or experiences working with individuals from diverse backgrounds. What were they? and how did they affect you?

Describe briefly how you have dealt with a personal or academic problem you have encountered.

How did you reach your decision to enter medicine? Describe your participation in any health care or other activities, which reinforced your decision. (Please include any experience involving the care of others.)

Please describe any self-education, research, or independent scholastic work have you undertaken and what do you feel you have accomplished in this work.

If you will not be enrolled as a full-time student during the current academic year, please explain what you will be doing prior to your planned matriculation into medical school.

Please use this space to bring the information contained on your AMCAS application up-to-date. Indicate grades earned, alterations in your proposed course work or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of activities, and anything else you feel we should know.

Yay, same as last year, that's good :) When did you receive this one? Also, what are your stats if you don't mind me asking? I wonder what their cutoffs are... anyone know?

Yay, same as last year, that's good :) When did you receive this one? Also, what are your stats if you don't mind me asking? I wonder what their cutoffs are... anyone know?

I got this last thursday. The screen can't be high. My stats are below average: MCAT>30, sgpa<3.5

I was screened out of Eastern Virginia last week. Man that first rejection stings.

ugh... haven't gotten this.

I hope it comes soon!

I'm enrolled in their Masters in medical sciences program too.... I feel like this is my best shot. Surely one of my top picks as well!

Should come this week. DocBell- if you don't mind me asking, are you in-state?

nvm for now. :rolleyes:

I read your post. It doesn't matter. Your right I don't care what you think. But for the record I am an English major the grammar mistakes are all Loyolas. I certainly don't claim them :) I am far more insulted that you think I made those mistakes than you accusing me of trolling. Loyola made them last year and they made them again this year. Also for the record...I don't lie. Especially not on an internet forum where I have nothing to gain. I am obviously not the only one to receive this secondary. Contrary to popular belief SDN does not represent the entirety of the pre-med community.

ugh... haven't gotten this.

I hope it comes soon!

I'm enrolled in their Masters in medical sciences program too.... I feel like this is my best shot. Surely one of my top picks as well!

hey! I almost enrolled in that program! We could have been classmates. haha.

... actually I just realized I would have finished it this summer... so I could have been your alumni mentor. haha. Unless you are also finishing the program this summer??

Docbell -- just want to say good luck with completing the secondary. Loyola must see something in you. they also are a school that doesn't need a super high GPA or MCAT just to be considered... which is why I like them. They look at the entire applicant.

Should come this week. DocBell- if you don't mind me asking, are you in-state?

Not currently but I was born in-state. I don't know if that matters.

Edit: My undergrad institution is only about an hour and 1/2 from Loyola though.

I read your post. It doesn't matter. Your right I don't care what you think. But for the record I am an English major the grammar mistakes are all Loyolas. I certainly don't claim them :) I am far more insulted that you think I made those mistakes than you accusing me of trolling. Loyola made them last year and they made them again this year. Also for the record...I don't lie. Especially not on an internet forum where I have nothing to gain. I am obviously not the only one to receive this secondary. Contrary to popular belief SDN does not represent the entirety of the pre-med community.

The reason I took back what I wrote was that I found two more typos in what you said the prompts were (which, unlike the first typo, weren't in the 2009-2010 thread). You'd be a pretty amazing liar if you copy/pasted the 2009-2010 thread and added typos :laugh:

Last edited:
I start the MAMS program on Aug 30.. and I'm supposed to apply after it, thus creating a gap year, but I didn't want that. Of course I'll apply again if things do not go favorably.

I'm really excited for it though. If Stritch is anything like LUC, I have NEVER felt so thoroughly considered for anything. When I was accepted into MAMS, I got an unofficial email from someone in admissions specifically saying what they liked about my application, and asking further questions about why I took classes and stuff even after she said I was in. Wow... I've been still meaning to go over there and bring her cookies or something...

hey! I almost enrolled in that program! We could have been classmates. haha.

... actually I just realized I would have finished it this summer... so I could have been your alumni mentor. haha. Unless you are also finishing the program this summer??

Docbell -- just want to say good luck with completing the secondary. Loyola must see something in you. they also are a school that doesn't need a super high GPA or MCAT just to be considered... which is why I like them. They look at the entire applicant.

Thanks :) I tried to apply mostly to schools that will look past my low numbers. Maybe I will get in maybe I won't... At least I tried right? I appreciate the support since I feel sort of attacked. Good luck to you as well!

The reason I took back what I wrote was that I found two more typos in what you said the prompts were (which, unlike the first, weren't in the 2009-2010 thread). You'd be a pretty amazing liar if you copy/pasted the 2009-2010 thread and added typos :laugh:

Well maybe when we both get accepted we can recommend they proof their secondary more carefully. I am just glad somebody else noticed them too!

Thanks :) I tried to apply mostly to schools that will look past my low numbers. Maybe I will get in maybe I won't... At least I tried right? I appreciate the support since I feel sort of attacked. Good luck to you as well!

Don't feel attacked :) I guess I'm just confused about this whole process lol :confused:

Hopefully we will all be interviewing at this fantastic school soon!

GARRRRH why haven't we (except DocBell) gotten this secondary? I love this school!

Should just be a standard GPA/MCAT screen right?

GARRRRH why haven't we (except DocBell) gotten this secondary? I love this school!

Should just be a standard GPA/MCAT screen right?

I know! I'm love this school to!

I emailed them last night- and they said they have just begun the process and we will receive info by email.

So im thinking soon! and yes, i think it is a just a low gpa/mcat screen.

I know! I'm love this school to!

I emailed them last night- and they said they have just begun the process and we will receive info by email.

So im thinking soon! and yes, i think it is a just a low gpa/mcat screen.

I want you all to get your secondaries. It is giving me a complex. I started to be afraid I had been scammed or something lol but they had my AMCAS ID number and all that nice info. I don't understand how this works at all. Another school I applied to doesn't even screen and it feels like everybody has their secondary but me! Oh well.

Docbell -- I say get everything written nice and good asap! Submit it as soon as you can and be one of the first people Loyola even considers. :D

I want you all to get your secondaries. It is giving me a complex. I started to be afraid I had been scammed or something lol but they had my AMCAS ID number and all that nice info. I don't understand how this works at all. Another school I applied to doesn't even screen and it feels like everybody has their secondary but me! Oh well.

Aww thanks!

I think they are just getting a slow start :)

Still nothing :(
Haha they must think DocBell is really special.

I am assuming people have/are getting the secondary by now so please don't take offense to my question. Is anyone else having trouble accessing the supplemental forms particularly the letter of recommendation inventory form C? My mac wants to open their attachment in quicktime so I can't get past the first page and I (who knows very little about computers) was wondering if was a mac versus PC thing.

NVM: PC and saving as a PDF for the win!

Last edited:
I was worried when I realized I had received SOME sort of acknowledgement from all the other schools to which I applied, but came to this thread and relaxed a bit, haha... Good luck everyone!

Just received the secondary. Time to write some essays! Did you get yours turned in yet, DocBell?

I am assuming people have/are getting the secondary by now so please don't take offense to my question. Is anyone else having trouble accessing the supplemental forms particularly the letter of recommendation inventory form C? My mac wants to open their attachment in quicktime so I can't get past the first page and I (who knows very little about computers) was wondering if was a mac versus PC thing.

NVM: PC and saving as a PDF for the win!

It worked fine for me. What OSX are you on?

mine are almost written : (

Still haven't gotten it : (

if there are still other people here waiting on it, I'll refrain from being the annoying admissions caller...

I am still waiting. I just need to write two essays still... but regardless, I probably won't be able to send it out until next tuesday night (as that is when my next English/Writing Center editor appointment is... yes, I have all my essays edited. haha)

so the longer the delay the better....

Holy crap, this secondary is a beast. Also, what's with the non-electronic submission? Oh well, luckily I only have one other to deal with at the moment so I can devote lots of time to this one...

Status
Not open for further replies.