2010-2011 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Holy crap, this secondary requires so much information! It's like filling out AMCAS again. Anyone know which of the required documents are necessary? They have a list of every possible document you could send, but not sure if they apply

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm Regular Decision.

Just submitted. Tennismasta, I'm independent so I just sent my tax forms from 2009 and DL.

Holy crap, this secondary requires so much information! It's like filling out AMCAS again. Anyone know which of the required documents are necessary? They have a list of every possible document you could send, but not sure if they apply

Their secondary is ridiculous... so long...
yea, it really is like filling out AMCAS again :(

I'm assuming that all of the documents are necessary unless you're international maybe? (the permanent resident alien card, which I've never heard of... and the visa) oh... and your court papers issuing guardianship? uhh...

I think I might call them and ask...

The more documents you can send in, the better. As I recall, only a couple of the residency documents listed are "required," but it was recommended to me to submit as many as possible to help speed the residency check process.

So I worked at Grady for two years and worked in a ton of different departments so I randomly followed a lot of physicians in each department. Mostly through informal meetings so I don't remember a lot of their names (I would ask them if I could shadow him/her and they would say yea and I would follow them around)
MCG's secondary asks for their name.
I don't want to look ******ed and write "professor of internal medicine" under "physician name"

...suggestions?

I'm Regular Decision.

Just submitted. Tennismasta, I'm independent so I just sent my tax forms from 2009 and DL.

Thanks man...Hopefully I see something soon since they don't screen for GA residents hopefully...

So I worked at Grady for two years and worked in a ton of different departments so I randomly followed a lot of physicians in each department. Mostly through informal meetings so I don't remember a lot of their names (I would ask them if I could shadow him/her and they would say yea and I would follow them around)
MCG's secondary asks for their name.
I don't want to look ******ed and write "professor of internal medicine" under "physician name"

...suggestions?

Can you not look this up on Grady's directory?

You might be asked about anything that you put on the secondary (shadowing, doctors names, experiences, volunteering, etc).

Good luck this cycle! Some of us that are students there will be watching over this thread throughout the year.

One of the questions on the secondary is about diversity and essentially unique experiences that make you want to be a doctor. I completely addressed this in my PS. what do i do? Say the same things again?

Nope. Try and answer each response with something new.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you like it at MCG? I am a Georgia resident, and it is one of my top choices.

Incredibly happy with MCG. I can't think of anything that I don't like.

Hey guys,

How long are your secondary essays?

Also, do we just mail in the GA residenct identification forms??

Do we have to be dressed up for the secondary picture and have it done by a professional, or can we just take a cell phone picture?

Thanks man...Hopefully I see something soon since they don't screen for GA residents hopefully...

First MCG is required not to exceed 5% of students as out of state. Out of state tuition is about double in state.

Recent case of illegal immigrant in state school paying in state tuition caused all Georgia University to verify residency in addition to the above standard. The girl is facing deportation for lying to a police officer about her address when stopped on campus. This is a felony in Georgia.

Be careful how you handle your application. Authorities are watching.

Hey guys,

How long are your secondary essays?

Also, do we just mail in the GA residenct identification forms??

I talked with my friend from MCG and he said it doesn't really matter how long your essays are. As long as you get your point across... but also not dragging it on

I scanned my forms and emailed it to them.

I think it says somewhere in the instructions on the email that we have to scan them and email it to that particular email address...

All the forms are so confusing. alien card? visa? court papers of guardianship? are those necessary if we were both in GA...?

I'll be applying to MCG soon. Took my MCAT on June 17 which felt like 5 hours of neural molestation and get my results on July 20. Filling out the primary on AMCAS and it sucks. Still haven't started my personal statement. Any suggestions? How is the secondary as bad as primary? Can you guys please elaborate? Also, anyone doing early decision? I'm torn trying to decide ED or regular decision.

Thanks for all the help.

MCG secondary is pretty long, they ask a lot of detailed questions and require a lot of documents.

I'll be applying to MCG soon. Took my MCAT on June 17 which felt like 5 hours of neural molestation and get my results on July 20. Filling out the primary on AMCAS and it sucks. Still haven't started my personal statement. Any suggestions? How is the secondary as bad as primary? Can you guys please elaborate? Also, anyone doing early decision? I'm torn trying to decide ED or regular decision.

Thanks for all the help.

I took my MCAT June 17th also... PS was definitely a lot different than the practice tests, that's for sure :mad:

I thought that my personal statement would take only a couple of days to complete... totally wrong.
It took me atleast two weeks to complete it and atleast 20 revisers to edit it.
Because it's the most important 5300 characters you'll ever write, I would take my time. I think my main problem was sounding too 'robotic' and writing what I THOUGHT the admissions committee would want to hear. It was really hard to veer away from that, so I had to rewrite a couple of times. The hard part for me specifically was making it personal...

In my opinion, the personal statement/primary was a lot worse than the secondary

Hope that helps and let's hope we did a lot better than we thought on our mcat :xf::xf::xf:

I took my MCAT June 17th also... PS was definitely a lot different than the practice tests, that's for sure :mad:

I thought that my personal statement would take only a couple of days to complete... totally wrong.
It took me atleast two weeks to complete it and atleast 20 revisers to edit it.
Because it's the most important 5300 characters you'll ever write, I would take my time. I think my main problem was sounding too 'robotic' and writing what I THOUGHT the admissions committee would want to hear. It was really hard to veer away from that, so I had to rewrite a couple of times. The hard part for me specifically was making it personal...

In my opinion, the personal statement/primary was a lot worse than the secondary

Hope that helps and let's hope we did a lot better than we thought on our mcat :xf::xf::xf:

Definitely hope did I do better than what I think! I was averaging ~31 on my aamc practice tests, but feel like i'll be lucky to make a 15 on the real one. I guess I better start working on my personal statement today. How did you get 20 people to revise yours, I mean did they not have conflicting opinions? I tried doing that for some of my work/activity descriptions, and everyone was saying different things. I pretty much went with what I had originally written. How long did it take to get your secondary after applying for primary?

By the way, I am at Grady also.

Definitely hope did I do better than what I think! I was averaging ~31 on my aamc practice tests, but feel like i'll be lucky to make a 15 on the real one. I guess I better start working on my personal statement today. How did you get 20 people to revise yours, I mean did they not have conflicting opinions? I tried doing that for some of my work/activity descriptions, and everyone was saying different things. I pretty much went with what I had originally written. How long did it take to get your secondary after applying for primary?

By the way, I am at Grady also.

Oh yea, definitely. I feel the same way.
And for sure, I did have a ton of conflicting opinions. I had my med school friends look over content, and other friends look at how well my paper stuck together... My best friend's dad is also a textbook editor so I had him read my paper for final grammatical revisions too
All in all, the opinions were really similar whether it was 'it wasn't too personal' or 'it didn't flow well'... and with every criticism I went back and fixed it...
It took about 4 days between submitting the primary and receiving my secondary

What are you guys planning to write for the diversity essay if you're not diverse? I'm just your average white male, and I really don't feel like I've got much to talk about.

Hey do we need to submit our LOR's in the two week deadline for this secondary? I think I might another week to send in my LORs...Do you guys think it will significantly hurt my app to not send them in yet?

Anyone hearing back about interviews yet? I know typically interviews are done during August for EDP applicants and I felt pretty competitive (34 MCAT 3.73 GPA in chemical engineering). I'm sure my worrying is unjustified but I just hate waiting.

I have not heard back from interviews yet. Has anyone gotten a message telling them that their documents and citizenship have been verified?

I have not heard back from interviews yet. Has anyone gotten a message telling them that their documents and citizenship have been verified?

I got one email back from them within 24 hours of sending in my Georgia residency papers. All they said was that they needed the signature page on my tax forms. Other than that I've heard nothing.

Check Your Interview Tab... Just got the interview invite:D

Yes, congrats! Are you Early or Regular Decision?

What are the questions on the secondary?

Granted I am not applying for this year, but I saw some activity on this thread and noticed people had their secondaries but no one posted the questions.

Congrats RealRead! If you don't mind me asking, what did your interview tab say before that?

Yea, if you don't mind... what did the tab say?
I'm retaking my mcat august 20th because I did absolutely horribly on my june test so I hope they didn't reject me because of my first score :(

Mine says "You have not been invited to interview" under the interview tab. Does that equal rejection or did it always say that?

Mine also says "not invited to interview" but I just checked the status for the first time today, and wasn't sure if it always said that or if that meant they reviewed and did not decide to interview me... I hope the latter is not the case!

Mine also says "You have not been invited to interview"

I'm pretty sure it has always said that though. 37 MCAT, 3.9 GPA, so I feel pretty competitive.

Mine also says "You have not been invited to interview"

I'm pretty sure it has always said that though. 37 MCAT, 3.9 GPA, so I feel pretty competitive.

Yeah. I feel pretty competitive too although not quite at your level haha. Just the wording and the fact that the guy above did get an interview had me worrying. But it looks like we should be fine. Maybe they will be sending out more invites this week.

He/she might be an ED applicant, that would make a lot of sense if that were the case.

Just got an email confirming my documents are received, and requesting a few more.

Does anyone know if not sending tax forms slows the residence verification process?

Does anyone know if not sending tax forms slows the residence verification process?

Don't know if it slows the process down, but I just got an email asking for clarification of residency. Guess they will let you know if they need more info

Do you have any suggestions for the last question?

( If applicable, indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information not previously included in your AMCAS application or this supplement that you feel the admission committee should consider when evaluating your application.)

I'm thinking about including a short paragraph on Why MCG or sharing a particularly eye-opening clinical experience.

Do you have any suggestions for the last question?

( If applicable, indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information not previously included in your AMCAS application or this supplement that you feel the admission committee should consider when evaluating your application.)

I'm thinking about including a short paragraph on Why MCG or sharing a particularly eye-opening clinical experience.

Use that segment to communicate anything that you feel was left out of your application. It's a very personal part of the application, and not one to solicit advice about :)

Got my interview as an EDP applicant! Notification came through e-mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.