2010-2011 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"When did you submit your secondary and when did you get an e-mail about the interview call? I submitted my secondary on 8/5, but I'm still waiting for an invite to interview."

If you haven't heard yet, I would call the admissions folks (the phone number listed in the secondary application) and make sure they have all the documents they need. Although they are super-helpful, they have a lot of applications to go through. And ultimately, its on you to make sure they have everything.

I called 2-3 times to double check on things and ask questions--they were super-nice every single time, and as soon as that last paperwork was approved (per phone conversation) I got my interview invite the next day.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys know how many people applied for early decision this cycle?

No clue.. Last year it was right under 200... The year before it was ~215.

They interview ~120 and accept 65-70 (historically). All together, they interview about 550 and will ultimately accept ~270-290 to fill the class.

Reactions: 1 user
"When did you submit your secondary and when did you get an e-mail about the interview call? I submitted my secondary on 8/5, but I'm still waiting for an invite to interview."

If you haven't heard yet, I would call the admissions folks (the phone number listed in the secondary application) and make sure they have all the documents they need. Although they are super-helpful, they have a lot of applications to go through. And ultimately, its on you to make sure they have everything.

I called 2-3 times to double check on things and ask questions--they were super-nice every single time, and as soon as that last paperwork was approved (per phone conversation) I got my interview invite the next day.

I thought that it wouldn't let you submit your secondary app if they didn't have all documents. What documents were you missing? Thanks for the tip! I should've checked SDN earlier, and I might have been able to make the call before the weekend:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this Friday is the last day for interviews (unless it had to be rescheduled). Just call and talk to them about it. :)

Since this week is the last week of EDP interviews, does that mean that regular decision interviews will be going out soon? :xf:

For any OOS applicants who are curious about secondaries, like me, I emailed the admissions office to see what we could expect (if anything) and I got this response:

"Once the admission committee have reviewing all of the Georgia Resident Applicants who have applied to the school of medicine. The admission committee will them review the non-resident applicants and then decide which applicants they will send secondary application too."

Regards,
Ms. Bridges

Any RD interviews yet? Sorry if its posted above already...too lazy to scroll.

dont think so but EDP interviews are done on Friday which means Im sure they will start coming out soon. Also, I got some emails about sending in residency docs etc and last year they asked for the docs right before I got interviewed so I assume soon. :xf:

E-mail notification. It seems a little early considering decisions are normally sent at the end of the month. I really hope it is not a mistake!:)

E-mail notification. It seems a little early considering decisions are normally sent at the end of the month. I really hope it is not a mistake!:)

MCG typically gets the acceptances out 2 to 3 weeks early. I got mine as well and would be highly surprised if it was a mistake.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats, it must feel awesome getting in to medical school so early! I still have to deal with a brutal interview season.

Got my email as well. Congrats to everyone... see you in August!

Acceptance e-mail arrived today--what a relief! I wasn't expecting a status for another 2-3 weeks! Good luck to everyone still applying--hope to see you next August as well!

Nice guys! Congrats and welcome to MCG!

Quick question for everyone,

If accepted, are you going to go for the Athens/UGA campus or Augusta? What are your reasons?

Augusta... I went to UGA and want a change of scenery. I want to be able to make distinctions between undergrad and med school when it's all said and done.

On a side note... Athens interim campus is crazy nice and hard to pass up.

Invite this morning for M,W,Fs in October. Submitted 7/9, had LORs in about a week later, never received a complete email, but called 3-4 weeks ago to confirm. IS, 30 MCAT, <3.6 GPA

Interview invite this morning as well. submitted 7/7. IS, 3.7, 36. First one...phew.

I picked Augusta for a few reasons, but primarily because it is the more established campus.

1. Processes/Procedures/Schedules/Coordinations are probably far more established-- I imagine there would be more setting things up/still figuring things out at Athens.

2. Established connections with local hospitals--teaching hospitals available, etc. - not the case in Athens

3. I'd like to stay put all four years, and at Athens, my understanding you would be there just the first two and then have to go somewhere else to begin clerkships.

Please correct me if I got any information about the Athens campus wrong! I'm basing my info off conversations with officials & students at my MCG interview a month ago--not off any official document.

Initially, I favored Athens, but my reasons were because I have family there, and its a fun college town--but when I considered how established Augusta was, that made more sense to me. All that said, I would be happy with either one!

I GOT IN!!! I GOT IN I GOT IN!!! Did any other accepted people interview on 8-16???:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Good luck to all the RD applicants:luck:

Interview invite this morning as well (My 1st!)... Secondary Submitted (8/10).
Interview is scheduled for 10/25.
In State... Stats are MCAT 30&#8804;x&#8804;35, GPA 3.8&#8804;x&#8804;3.9.

Has anyone gotten an interview yet? Or heard from MCG since submitting your application?

Congrats! I'm hoping to get an interview soon.

I got an invite a couple of days ago. Scheduled for 11/5.

there were invites that went out last monday morning and night ~11pm. That is when I got mine. scheduled for 10/20

IS invite yesterday. Interviewing 11/3. Complete mid-August ish.

Congrats to the people who were invited for an interview!!! Hopefully I'll be receiving my invite soon!!! :laugh::laugh:

MDME,
You applied here last year didnt you? Hopefully us reapplicants will have so luck this cycle. :xf:

Sure did. Waitlisted. Better MCAT this time around with a year of working in a clinic under my belt. I'll keep my fingers crossed for us.

I just got my invitation to interview!!!! **happy dance**

I just received an interview invite, too...

But I received the same one two weeks ago! :p

EDIT: OK, it's just a reminder email, but the contents are strikingly similar to the first one :oops:

Last edited:
Interview! Submitted 8/24. 3.77/30. Interview Nov 10.

How long after submitting secondary did it take y'all to get an interview invite?

Any chance we will hear anything before late november this year? :xf:Anyone have some inside info on the earliest we would know a decision for RD people.

Any chance we will hear anything before late november this year? :xf:Anyone have some inside info on the earliest we would know a decision for RD people.

I dont have "inside info" but am reapplying to MCG and they are not speedy with decisions. Last years and this years threads are on exactly the same timeline as far as RD invites. There is no way they would send them out early Nov. mid Nov. probably not either. They say it takes 4 weeks to hear something but its usually more like 6. GL!

Interview invite today. Completed 10/15. IS 4.0GPA 32P.

How are you guys seeing November interview dates? Maybe cause you guys were completed earlier. All I saw available was in January so I got in on 1/7.

To any medical students out there who can comment on this...
I have been to my interview and within the next few days need to decide on a campus preference. I am very familiar with the Athens campus and the curriculum there. It seems that they are in class more than the kids in Augusta 8-12 1-4 everyday except Wednesday and are studying 6-7 hours nightly. How many hours on average do Augusta students study on average? Do you go to class? Do you have a community health component of the curriculum?
Thanks for all the help!

To any medical students out there who can comment on this...
I have been to my interview and within the next few days need to decide on a campus preference. I am very familiar with the Athens campus and the curriculum there. It seems that they are in class more than the kids in Augusta 8-12 1-4 everyday except Wednesday and are studying 6-7 hours nightly. How many hours on average do Augusta students study on average? Do you go to class? Do you have a community health component of the curriculum?
Thanks for all the help!

Do you know people that are currently attending the Athens campus? I would get it straight from the source, prior to ranking that campus.

As for the Augusta campus, MS1's are typically in class M-F from 8-12, as well as Monday 1-3 (ECM lecture) and 2 other afternoons (ECM small group + a physical diagnosis day that is every other week).

Studying will come down to what you want to make for grades. With that said, most students will "study" for 5-6 hours. It really doesn't matter what campus you are on. As time goes on, you learn to balance your time better, and you will gain valuable free time to do things like run, workout, shadow, or read SDN (like I am doing right now....). :) What do you mean by a community health component? MS-1's do a rural health project, and we also run 3-4 community clinics (latin, woman's, faith-based, psych, etc)...

I really like our campus here in Augusta, and the curriculum that we have. Everything is super organized, you know what you are responsible for, and you have a proven track record of board passing rates, electives, student-run clinics, etc.

The only disadvantage is not being in Athens, which is quite the advantage when it comes to studying for a Monday test.

From what I understood it is the same at both campus but I would love to hear it straight from the source so to speak. Any Athens Campus Students care to comment?

It's not the same at both campuses. The mode of delivery is completely different, which makes for a very different experience. Will you cover the same material at some point in time? Sure, every medial school covers the same material...

Just to give you an idea... Augusta has a test every 2-3 weeks. Athens has weekly quizzes, and then they have a test at the end of each module (that is much shorter in length). They get graded for participation as well, where Augusta does not. From what I gathered, it took a while for the MS1's in Athens to even know how their grade was being calculated for the first module.

Augusta MS1
Fundamentals module 1
Test 150 questions
Test 120 questions

Musculoskeletal module 2
Test 130 questions + 60 question anatomy practical
Test 120 questions + 50 question histology practical + 60 questions anatomy practical

Athens MS1
Fundamentals module 1
Quiz
Quiz
Quiz
Quiz
Test- 2 hours so ~100 questions

Module 2 MSK
Quiz
Quiz
Anatomy practical 60 questions
Quiz
Quiz
Test ~100 questions + 60 question anatomy practical + 50 question histology practical

Last edited:
Sorry to have offended anyone by my previous comment. My SO goes to Athens and have heard many students talking about how the curriculum is not what they expected, etc and my opinion is more than likely swayed. I did not mean to sound like I am very knowledgeable about the Athens campus or that the Augusta campus is less demanding, Im sure they are very similar. :(

I just made a facebook page--no pressure for RD folks... just thought the EDP folks could start getting to know each other!

I think I figured out the url but you can also search it: MCG / GHSU - School of Medicine Class of 2015. I just copied the 2014 class page to make one specific for this class.

Fahimaz7, thanks for the detailed breakdown--its nice to have such a clear grasp of the schedule. During the interview day, they kind of made it sounds like class was over at 12 each day--its good to have a more realistic estimate!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.