2010-2011 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is, you won't get paid "doctors money" until you are well into your 30s. Ever skip a night out because you wanted to save money? Put off a vacation or trip somewhere to work? Eat fast food because it's cheap? All of these choices you make because of money. It's simple. DEBT=SLAVERY. NO DEBT=FREEDOM.

TAWS, buddy, you chose to become an MD. Once again: NOBODY forced you into medicine or to attend MCG. Debt is the name of the game--it's the price you pay for 4 years of such esteemed education. First you act like you wish you'd have gone to a private school, then you complain about debt. Mercer/Emory alike would cost upwards of $100,000 MORE for 4 years--do your 8.5% interest for 30 years calculation on that one and let us know what you find. Doctors have to skip vacations, eat cheaply and unhealthy, slave away because of debt for a couple years, but that is nothing new. You chose the wrong profession to be so worried about money. You want to live a debt-free, luxurious life? Go marry someone famous or win the lottery.

Members don't see this ad.

So talking about tuition is a stupid coversation? You just don't get it. Something can be done. Write to your legislators and urge them to invest in more Georgia doctors. Last time I checked, we needed more family doctors. How will med students being in more debt help increase the amount of family doctors?

Family doctors can get their entire debt paid off if they are willing to work for 4 years in an underserved area of the state. It's a great gig, and plenty of people take advantage of it if they decide to stay in primary care.

Employee's? I was an employee at MCG as well before starting medical school here, so don't think you're the only one that made **** for money before they stated school, or has to deal with days off without pay. Try being a doctor at MCG that lost 15k for those days. Maybe they should just fire a bunch of people so that the others can continue making what they were originally, or perhaps even get a yearly raise! After all, MCG is just an evil empire that acts out irrationally, has loads of money that they keep from everyone (outside of the administration), and they don't care about their employees.

Either way, quite pointing fingers at MCG for doing the best that they can with what they have. If it's too rich for your taste, continue being a lab rat (which I assume you're a research associate right now of some sort) and live the good life off the 35k/year that you're getting. After all, why be a slave to debt when you can be a slave to a dead end job with no future and no chance to make any real money.

Where does all this anger even come from? I hope you settle down before you get here, b/c you're going to piss a lot of people off with that level of anger. You're at the bottom of the ladder as a medical student, so deal with the deck that you've been dealt.

Having an acceptance to any medical school, much less one that ranks in the bottom 1/2 tuition wise, is a golden ticket to future financial stability, job insurance, and an opportunity to do something good for your family and your patients. Be thankful for what you have received. The state doesn't care that you now have to pay the average price for medical school tuition.

PS. The SOM alone pays more than $20,000,000 in tuition each year. How is $3,000,000 going to lock tuition for the entire school for years?

Last edited:
Wow, I hope people at MCG don't have the same attitude as you. I complain and you tell me to go to another school? You should stop being so belligerent, as you are making the school look bad on this board.

You are in "100% debt" and still don't see tuition increases as that bad? Think about it this way: a $10,000 tuition increase will actually amount to $27,682.64 of debt assuming you pay 8.5% interest over 30 years.

Nice job it is being an administrator at MCG. They get raises when the school is doing bad and get even more raises when the school is doing well. How do you think this is doing for employee morale? I am working at MCG right now and can tell you people are upset.

I got an easy solution to solve the budget crisis: raise taxes. Will you see it happen? No, because the Republicans have a strangle-hold of Georgia and don't believe in raising taxes under any circumstances. A courrpt governor also doesn't help as he only appoints campaign contributors to his adminstration. Georgia is starting to become a backwards state like Alabama and Mississippi.

MCG paid $3 million dollars to change their name to GHSU. That money alone could have froze tuition for every student at MCG for years.

I guess you have a point here. We will see where MCG is on the list for 2011-2012.

So talking about tuition is a stupid coversation? You just don't get it. Something can be done. Write to your legislators and urge them to invest in more Georgia doctors. Last time I checked, we needed more family doctors. How will med students being in more debt help increase the amount of family doctors?

Yeah, while you do that I will gladly take your spot to get off the waitlist and go into debt. Get another job (sounds like politics), go to another school, or get over it and yourself. Some of us will take your debt and place in a heartbeat. :annoyed:

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard of more people getting in off the waitlist?

I don't think there is as much movement this year ad compared to last year.

Been following the forum since I found out I was on the waitlist. Haven't posted anything previously. Just wanted to let you guys know that I found out this morning I was accepted off the waitlist. Good luck to everyone still waiting. It is still moving along.

Anyone else get an email about an app? I saw "admissions" and GHSU, my poor heart nearly stopped and opened it only to realize it was an email for an app.
'Sigh'....nope, not coming off this waitlist am I :(
On to the next step.

Anyone else get an email about an app? I saw "admissions" and GHSU, my poor heart nearly stopped and opened it only to realize it was an email for an app.
'Sigh'....nope, not coming off this waitlist am I :(
On to the next step.

If you don't mind posting, what were your basic stats and did you apply edp or rd?

Hey does anyone know when orientation starts? I think I saw classes start August 8th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you get this information? I had bunch of emails from the school and re-reading them for some orientation information. I couldn't find any... and when I clicked the calender link, it just says there's an error. Is is jut me or that website?

1. Acceptance/Deposit submitted via regular mail
2. Campus Assignment acceptance submitted via e-mail
3. Birth Certificate/Tuition Certification submitted via regular mail
4. Transcripts
5. Set up Groupwise E-mail account (info in e-mail)
6. Set up Pulse Account (info in e-mail)
7. Complete FAFSA online
8. Complete MCG Financial Aid Application (requires PULSE account) & Direct Lending Counseling--link at end of application
9. Complete Immunization/Health forms and submit via regular mail to Student health (TB test <3 months from start, so can test & submit this in May).
10. Health Insurance Waiver (if you have better insurance than Pearce & Pearce), I talked to the insurance guy this week and he said you can't submit until after 15 June when the window is open)
10. HIPPA training (link on PULSE site)
11. Orientation - August 4th?

If I missed something, please let me know! And I guess we just wait on more e-mails from here...

Where on earth is the HIPAA stuff? I can't seem to track it down.

Just wondering if when taking out loans, do they cover living expenses, etc also, or is that expected to be taken out of pocket?

Would love any insight!

Just wondering if when taking out loans, do they cover living expenses, etc also, or is that expected to be taken out of pocket?

Would love any insight!

tuition and fees = 27k
Loans capped @ ~50k

You can use your money for whatever you want. Fly to Vegas and put 10G's on black for all they know :)

I hope wl movement isn't dine for the year. Anyone heard anything lately?

I had a question. Since WL mvt looks real slow this year..For those who have called MCG for advising How do you go about this phone call? Do we ask to speak to Dr. Young or anyone in particular or just ask that I am on the WL and would like to set up advising appointment.

Any help would be great! I hope us Waitlisters hear some good news soon!!!

When you call just say that you are currently on the waitlist and would like some application advising. From there, they will direct your phone call to the right person (I didn't talk to Dr. Young..I think I talked to Mrs. DeVaughn). If she's not available when you call, then you'll end up making an appointment to talk with her at some point.

She will give very helpful advice, but keep in mind as she told me, that she is not part of the committee and is only giving advice from looking at your application from what she knows the committee has said in the past or would say upon looking at your application. In any event, the conversation was very helpful and became the basis for what I should do this year before I reapply.

Good luck!

Dr. Young has resigned to take a position with the AAMC. I'm guessing that you'll be seeing someone else in there quite soon.

Where on earth is the HIPAA stuff? I can't seem to track it down.

It looks like it was in the 3/10/11 e-mail with subject line "GHSU Net ID" that had all the account setup/password information.

In summary, it is on the website: www.educode.com/mcg. Use your groupwise login with hello as the password. The requirement to complete this is mentioned a couple of places on MCG websites, though the link appears to only be in that one e-mail (a pattern, it seems).

Have fun--it is truly riveting material. :)

Anyone else's secondary app status under "alternate list" change? Paranoid I know.. but I was out of town for a week and just happened to look. Mine used to say "yes" now there's nothing. Then again, it could have been this way for a long time. It's the second time I've ever checked it.

Yeah me too. It ain't happening this year ;(

Not 100% but Outlook is very bleak. I keep praying cause miracles do happen.

Not 100% but Outlook is very bleak. I keep praying cause miracles do happen.

I just wanted to keep up the updates on this thread. I have been out of the country, but my dad said that Ms. DeVaugh called yesterday about a spot. So, I am guessing that it is still moving. Best of luck to everyone!

Currently, I am stuck in an airport. All I want to know is whether I need to finish reapplying or if I am done...

[Edit: Just called, and confirmed that this is movement on waitlist!]

Last edited:
Does anyone happen to know what number comes up or at least what area code if anyone calls? I spoke with Dr. Young in March and it came up unavailable. My phone is not working but the last two numbers that show up were two unavailable missed calls from yesterday and Monday. I am probably overreacting and stretching my optimism, but I believe this is the only number I gave MCG.

Did you accept the spot? What were your stats?

Any movement on the waitlist? Has anyone called the admissions office to find out?

Does anyone get pulled off the waitlist so late?

Status
Not open for further replies.