2010-2011 University of South Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure they send secondaries to all Alabama residents with mcat scores greater than 24 and select out of state residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a re-app, I got it last year with a 25/3.65, but I am an AL resident. Didn't come until late July or early August. Super easy though, comes snail mail and is just a sheet or two to fill out (no essays) and send back with the application fee.

I'm pretty sure they send secondaries to all Alabama residents with mcat scores greater than 24 and select out of state residents.

I'm going to second this; I've heard from several people as well as some advising folks that this is the case.

Applying here! Have talked with Dr. Mark Scott a couple of times and seems like a great guy. Dr. Scott and Smith (UAB) are polar opposites :D

I just got their secondary. They actually sent it via e-mail this year. :p No essays just like last year.

Edit: Thought some of you might be interested in this...

"It is now our policy to send our secondary application to all applicants.
Out-of-state applicants who choose to return this application and the $75.00 fee should understand that our primary obligation is to the residents of Alabama. Therefore, nonresidents without strong ties to the state must be highly competitive on a national level.
"

I just got their secondary. They actually sent it via e-mail this year. :p No essays just like last year.

Edit: Thought some of you might be interested in this...

"It is now our policy to send our secondary application to all applicants.
Out-of-state applicants who choose to return this application and the $75.00 fee should understand that our primary obligation is to the residents of Alabama. Therefore, nonresidents without strong ties to the state must be highly competitive on a national level.
"

Awesome. I'm glad they switched to e-mail.

I am an OOS applicant but my Mom is from Alabama and I have quite a few relatives that still live there. Should I include an essay or letter with my seconary app that talks about my ties to the state?

Is anybody else having issues typing into the pdf form? I don't want to just hand-write my answers but it literally will not let me type anything into it...

I don't think the file is set up for you to type into it. Unless you have the full version of Adobe (not just the file reader) you will have to print it out and hand write. Don't worry about it though, last year's app was snail mailed to us and you had to hand write your information.

Okay great, as long as that's acceptable, I'm fine with it! I'm an AL resident.... don't have my MCAT scores back til August 31st and I'm hoping and praying to get into to South and UAB.... we are so fortunate to have such great in-state schools!

I imported the PDF into MS OneNote and filled it in that way. Either way, I don't think it matters if its typewritten or handwritten.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you can write legibly (i.e. not a Dr.'s handwriting :p) you're golden.. there are only a few lines to fill in, unless you haven't completed your pre-reqs.

I'm going to hand write mine with my lucky pen......if I can find my lucky pen.

I haven't gotten an invite yet. I was told that they try to get the invites out around two weeks prior to the interview day. They cashed the application check already, so I know they received the secondary. A M3 told me (so you know that's legit :laugh: ) that he did his EDP interview in mid-September, so I would guess that invites should get sent sometime within the next couple of weeks. That's pure conjecture, of course. :) Let me know how it goes.

I want to ask again if anyone for the EDP has gotten an email yet for an interview since its been a couple of weeks. I have been checking my email about ten times a day since I mailed my secondary!! Also, if you haven't heard yet either, could those of you for EDP kindly post when you do, so I'll know if it's just me? Thanks!

I want to ask again if anyone for the EDP has gotten an email yet for an interview since its been a couple of weeks. I have been checking my email about ten times a day since I mailed my secondary!! Also, if you haven't heard yet either, could those of you for EDP kindly post when you do, so I'll know if it's just me? Thanks!

Admissions said that they are sending them either today (Friday) or sometime next week.

Just received the interview invite! Early decision, Sept 22 @ 0800. Good luck to everyone!

Good luck, guys.

I wonder if they'll have any interview day food that I could steal...(usacom ms1)

Accepted! :cool:

Congrats to the other EDP folks that made it, and good luck to everyone applying this year!

This forum is too quiet. Has anyone received an interview lately?

No idea how south is doing this whole process... When I interviewed at UAB on 9/30 I talked to a guy who had an interview for south scheduled for the next week so they are definitely giving them out.

FINALLY got an invite today for Nov. 10. Hope this thread starts perkin up soon!

They usually send out the invites two weeks before the date they are scheduling you. Just to give a heads up on length of notice.

any idea what the interviews are like at south? i interviewed a few weeks ago at uab and it was really relaxed - has anyone heard if south's interview process is similar? i don't really know too much about south..

It's fairly relaxed. Many of the interviewers are off-campus; you have to drive yourself to them, typically 10-15 minutes away or so. Traffic can get bad at times, so the interviewers seem to understand if you are running a little late. It certainly makes an already stressful day even more so, however. :scared:

Did u get a complete email from here? I sent back my application in August and haven't heard anything from them at all (IS if that matters)

south doesn't send "complete" emails (or at least i didn't get one). call the admission's office and ask for the status of your application. they were really friendly when i called. also i've heard of south losing applications in the past so i would definitely call in and make sure they have everything.

Is anybody else having issues typing into the pdf form? I don't want to just hand-write my answers but it literally will not let me type anything into it...

There are actually free pdf editor programs that you can use online for those with out the full version of Adobe.

I used pdfescape, but there are others such as pdfhammer which I haven't tried. It is kind of a pain though. And I didn't get a virus.

I'm going to try pdfhammer for my next paper secondary. I let you know if it is any easier.

has anyone heard back from yesterday's interview (11/3) ?

They snail mail you a letter, and you may get a phone call from the admissions staff. Good luck!

Interview invite for Dec. 1 =)

They must've liked my application more this year. Last year I wasn't invited until the last day. :p

Interview invite for Dec. 1 =)

They must've liked my application more this year. Last year I wasn't invited until the last day. :p

Congratulations! They like to see improvement and your MCAT is prob what impressed them the most. Good luck! I was interviewed in Feb of last year and got waitlisted. I am also hoping for a sooner than later interview!!!

Congratulations! They like to see improvement and your MCAT is prob what impressed them the most. Good luck! I was interviewed in Feb of last year and got waitlisted. I am also hoping for a sooner than later interview!!!

Thanks! It's amazing what a 5-point increase in your MCAT score can do. Last year at this time I had no interviews. This year I have 6. :D

You'll get one soon, I'm sure! This process confuses me. I mean they waitlist an applicant one year and then wait months the next cycle to even interview. I'm the same way with UAB.

I AM GOING TO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!! I am so thankful today:D Thank you to the good Lord from up above! I will see y'all in Mobile in August!!! This is such a fantastic school, and it is a great honor to have this opportunity. Good luck to those of you that are still in the application process. Interview Nov. 10. Acceptance Nov. 15.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I AM GOING TO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!! I am so thankful today:D Thank you to the good Lord from up above! I will see y'all in Mobile in August!!! This is such a fantastic school, and it is a great honor to have this opportunity. Good luck to those of you that are still in the application process. Interview Nov. 10. Acceptance Nov. 15.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Congrats! Add yourself to the FB group when you get the chance :)

See you in August!

Congrats! Add yourself to the FB group when you get the chance :)

See you in August!

Thanks so much Griff! I appreciate the kind words. I haven't quit smiling since I got the mail yesterday:D I may be the only person in the world that doesn't have FB. I got rid of it a while back. I do look forward to meeting the class! Congrats to you too!!!:)

Congrats!!!! :p

Congrats!!!! :p

Thanks Ditto! You guys are too sweet! I see you have an interview coming up. You'll do great:D The admissions committee was super. It's such an outstanding school. I hope to hear some good news from you soon. Good luck to you:luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.