2010-2011 University of South Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything's awesome at South. As you know, I'm pretty lucky to be here, so I definitely appreciate my time here. I thought I had read you got accepted here? Plan on going here? I know it's a been a long ride for you so far, too.

I'm glad you're enjoying your time! Have any criticism or thoughts about the school thus far? I did get accepted this year! YAY! I'm still waiting to hear from UAB, but the longer I think about it the more I'm leaning towards USA. I think I'd do better with a smaller class and more traditional curriculum.

Members don't see this ad.

Got the interview invite yesterday. Really excited! Hope this year turns out better than last. I was one of the ones that waited the whole summer on the waitlist to get bad news in August. That was one of the worst experiences through this entire process. However, it gave me a lot of determination and drive to get to where I want to be. Good luck to everyone! Anybody else gonna be there on the 16th (Feb.)?

Got the interview invite yesterday. Really excited! Hope this year turns out better than last. I was one of the ones that waited the whole summer on the waitlist to get bad news in August. That was one of the worst experiences through this entire process. However, it gave me a lot of determination and drive to get to where I want to be. Good luck to everyone! Anybody else gonna be there on the 16th (Feb.)?

Yeah i was waitlisted last year at UAB and got bad news in August. I interviewed at south last week. Were you waitlisted at south? At the south interview Mark Scott made it sound as if you get on the waitlist and you are very likely to get in. I think he even said if you get waitlisted you can go ahead and start making plans to live there (but he did recommend nothing non-refundable).

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wait-listed at both UAB and USA this past year, and got into neither come August. I don't think the whole "wait-listed=in" thing is a safe bet for south. Having gone through it once, I won't count on getting in if I get wait-listed that is for sure.

I am interviewing on the 16th as well to the poster above.

Everything's awesome at South. As you know, I'm pretty lucky to be here, so I definitely appreciate my time here. I thought I had read you got accepted here? Plan on going here? I know it's a been a long ride for you so far, too.

Yeah, the hold card sucks because of the uncertainty. It's a step above the wait-list. I interviewed the last possible day at South, got a hold card, which took some time to turn into a wait-list position, which took till almost all the way to July to become an acceptance (and got two others right after South). It was a rough ride to say the least, but I know that it has definitely affected my gratefulness to be here and my work ethic has benefited. I was one of the last to be accepted, but based on class averages on somewhere in the middle for overall performance. I definitely came in with a bit more Inspirado after being in limbo for so long and finally having at all come together at the last minute.

I knew a lot of hold-carders that got in. It just took so long last year because the entire process was dependent upon what was happening at UAB. Maybe it will be more punctual this year. And maybe you'll get another acceptance to soften the blow in the meantime.

But for me, it was always South (after the interview).

PS: My stats didn't do me any favors: MCAT 27, sGPA 3.4, cGPA 3.7

Thanks for the input, Dopa! That makes me feel better. My sister interviewed a week before me and was accepted, but she had a higher GPA and MCAT than I did.

I was very skeptical when Mark Scott said that a wait-list spot is almost a sure acceptance, but I was hoping a hold-card was at least a glimmer of hope. My stats are average I guess (30S/sGPA 3.5/cGPA 3.7), but I was hoping that my school would help out. The waiting is without a doubt the worst part!

I applied late to most schools, so I haven't heard back from many yet. Still waiting on UAB for an interview. They are so slow! When you say they were waiting to see what happened at UAB, do you mean how many students would choose to go there instead?

Your name rocks, BTW. :laugh:
<---Neurobio major lol

Last edited:
So I got the hold card last year the week after the interview, and then I was informed I was on the wait-list in April. I'm not sure there is really a difference. I think if you get a hold card, then you very likely be on the wait-list, but I'm not sure the hold card is necessarily better (since I got both). I could be wrong of course, who knows.

Yeah i was waitlisted last year at UAB and got bad news in August. I interviewed at south last week. Were you waitlisted at south? At the south interview Mark Scott made it sound as if you get on the waitlist and you are very likely to get in. I think he even said if you get waitlisted you can go ahead and start making plans to live there (but he did recommend nothing non-refundable).

Yea, last year I was put on hold and then around April I was put on the waitlist. The did say that they do make final decisions as far as giving people acceptances or rejections along with the waitlist decisions in March or so. At least that is what happened last year.

As for the waiting on UAB statement, it played a role in what South could do because they had a lot of people in limbo with acceptances to South yet maybe on the waitlist at UAB. So South couldn't make "final decisions" about their class spots until they felt like those iffy people had really made a final decision. So it pushed back some of the decision making for South last year. Don't ask me why it was taking UAB so long to make decisions. One rumor was that they were offering more OOS applicants acceptances and those people were taking longer to make decisions and therefore holding up the class progression. Just what I had heard though... take it with a grain of salt.

I applied late to most schools, so I haven't heard back from many yet. Still waiting on UAB for an interview. They are so slow! When you say they were waiting to see what happened at UAB, do you mean how many students would choose to go there instead?

Your name rocks, BTW.
clip_image001.gif

<---Neurobio major lol

Yeah, last year was, in fact, a bit odd (and I finally got Mark/Michael Scott to admit that). It looked like, and I was warned not to state this as fact, but it APPEARED that UAB was loading up their class with more than the usual number of out-of-staters. Apparently it was a financial decision, and all in all it would have balanced out in their benefit. So there was a lot of waiting around for UAB make decisions, to publish their waitlist, and for the list to move, and all of that trickled downstream. As you saw, many SDNers were greatly affected by this (and are in turn still here to talk about it). There's no denying that many folks come in thinking that UAB is the way to go (especially out of staters), and the class is bigger, so you can see how the competition affects us down here directly. Don't know if it will be that way this year, but I'm guessing that what happens at UAB will still have marked effects at South.

I'm glad you're enjoying your time! Have any criticism or thoughts about the school thus far? I did get accepted this year! YAY! I'm still waiting to hear from UAB, but the longer I think about it the more I'm leaning towards USA. I think I'd do better with a smaller class and more traditional curriculum.

I'm really happy for you. I hope the other waiting veterans are as lucky this year. Anyway, I love it here. It’s definitely where I am supposed to be. There aren’t any deal-breaking issues, or big issues at all (there are hiccups anywhere you go, and that includes SOUTH and UAB). Here were some selling points for me:

1- Small Class size: we all know each other and are very close. It’s good not to have to feel like you have to keep your guard up for classmates on top of all the other stress (and there’s a lot of stress). Everybody helps each other. I don’t know what it’s like at UAB, but I can imagine you are a fair amount less likely to get to know everybody. Also, I HAVE heard that things are a little more competitive there (i have many friends there). We’ve only got a few gunners here, but it hasn’t even been an issue.

2- Actual anatomy dissection lab. UAB does not dissect cadavers anymore. They have pre-done prosections. Since this was the coolest and greatest part about first semester, I would have hated to lose this.

3- Traditional curriculum – Might be “old-fashioned”, not shiny with all the bells and whistles. But rest assured the board scores don’t lie, so it works. It’s also nice not to be wondering if things still aren’t “hammered out” with a newer systems based curriculum. Apparently it was a rough transition up at UAB, but I am told that things have probably leveled out by now.

4- People say that UAB looks nice on the application come residency time. I don’t doubt this. That’s all fine and dandy. I’m not planning on using a name to get my foot and the door (I haven’t done so yet, and I’ve been fine thus far). Rely on your board scores and letters from 3rd and 4th year. Which brings me to my next point:

5- First off: I admit I am only a first-year, and have no experience with the following, but I have talked to many people on both sides that do. There is a general consensus that one has a higher likelihood of hands-on, valuable experience during 3rd and fourth years at South. This has been said to occur in Tuscaloosa and Hunstville for UAB, but in Birmingham there is an apparently significantly more competitive environment for quality time (higher concentration of students/residents/etc per patient/case, what have you). The clinical years are very important in getting letters of rec/experience and in determining your residency (in addition to board scores). This is truer for some residencies over others (many of which are the traditionally prestigious specialties).

I’m sure there’s a long list of reasons why UAB is a great school, too. Truth is, I knew in my gut South was for me, before I knew many of the above things. I don’t think there’s any reason to NOT go to UAB, I just felt right here. A lot of folks report a similar phenomenon, where they just knew once they interviewed. Just a better fit. The location, the attitudes, the vibe in general just added up right.

For me, I was warned ahead of time how important it was to make the transition smoothly, and hit the ground running. So every little bit of stress and every little form of relief….they all add up. The recipe here was right, and I adapted very quickly, with only a few small road bumps. I think for people like us, this is VERY important to consider when choosing a school. I could tell this place was laid back, and I found balance very easy. I have time to play intramural sports (with classmates), video games, take a trip, be married, AND study and make good grades. I am not sure it would have been the same way for me at UAB.

Sorry for the novel. Hope the decision comes easily to you.

Yeah, last year was, in fact, a bit odd (and I finally got Mark/Michael Scott to admit that). It looked like, and I was warned not to state this as fact, but it APPEARED that UAB was loading up their class with more than the usual number of out-of-staters. Apparently it was a financial decision, and all in all it would have balanced out in their benefit. So there was a lot of waiting around for UAB make decisions, to publish their waitlist, and for the list to move, and all of that trickled downstream. As you saw, many SDNers were greatly affected by this (and are in turn still here to talk about it). There's no denying that many folks come in thinking that UAB is the way to go (especially out of staters), and the class is bigger, so you can see how the competition affects us down here directly. Don't know if it will be that way this year, but I'm guessing that what happens at UAB will still have marked effects at South.

I'm really happy for you. I hope the other waiting veterans are as lucky this year. Anyway, I love it here. It’s definitely where I am supposed to be. There aren’t any deal-breaking issues, or big issues at all (there are hiccups anywhere you go, and that includes SOUTH and UAB). Here were some selling points for me:

1- Small Class size: we all know each other and are very close. It’s good not to have to feel like you have to keep your guard up for classmates on top of all the other stress (and there’s a lot of stress). Everybody helps each other. I don’t know what it’s like at UAB, but I can imagine you are a fair amount less likely to get to know everybody. Also, I HAVE heard that things are a little more competitive there (i have many friends there). We’ve only got a few gunners here, but it hasn’t even been an issue.

2- Actual anatomy dissection lab. UAB does not dissect cadavers anymore. They have pre-done prosections. Since this was the coolest and greatest part about first semester, I would have hated to lose this.

3- Traditional curriculum – Might be “old-fashioned”, not shiny with all the bells and whistles. But rest assured the board scores don’t lie, so it works. It’s also nice not to be wondering if things still aren’t “hammered out” with a newer systems based curriculum. Apparently it was a rough transition up at UAB, but I am told that things have probably leveled out by now.

4- People say that UAB looks nice on the application come residency time. I don’t doubt this. That’s all fine and dandy. I’m not planning on using a name to get my foot and the door (I haven’t done so yet, and I’ve been fine thus far). Rely on your board scores and letters from 3rd and 4th year. Which brings me to my next point:

5- First off: I admit I am only a first-year, and have no experience with the following, but I have talked to many people on both sides that do. There is a general consensus that one has a higher likelihood of hands-on, valuable experience during 3rd and fourth years at South. This has been said to occur in Tuscaloosa and Hunstville for UAB, but in Birmingham there is an apparently significantly more competitive environment for quality time (higher concentration of students/residents/etc per patient/case, what have you). The clinical years are very important in getting letters of rec/experience and in determining your residency (in addition to board scores). This is truer for some residencies over others (many of which are the traditionally prestigious specialties).

I’m sure there’s a long list of reasons why UAB is a great school, too. Truth is, I knew in my gut South was for me, before I knew many of the above things. I don’t think there’s any reason to NOT go to UAB, I just felt right here. A lot of folks report a similar phenomenon, where they just knew once they interviewed. Just a better fit. The location, the attitudes, the vibe in general just added up right.

For me, I was warned ahead of time how important it was to make the transition smoothly, and hit the ground running. So every little bit of stress and every little form of relief….they all add up. The recipe here was right, and I adapted very quickly, with only a few small road bumps. I think for people like us, this is VERY important to consider when choosing a school. I could tell this place was laid back, and I found balance very easy. I have time to play intramural sports (with classmates), video games, take a trip, be married, AND study and make good grades. I am not sure it would have been the same way for me at UAB.

You had me at dissection! hehe Thanks for the great thoughts. I think I'm going to really enjoy it down there.

Yay! Congrats to all our new 1st years! I can't wait to meet everyone!
Last year our class had a lot of get-togethers before school started so that we could get to know each other before being thrown to the wolves. We planned most of this through our facebook group so make sure you join yours ASAP!
Good luck with everyone still waiting to hear! We had people getting in all the way into July, and we have a bunch of out of state students in our class from all over.
South is awesome because if you are an OOS then you can move to Mobile a few months before school and still get in state tuition.
Also, South is awesome! I'm so glad I chose to come here and not UAB. We have been getting some hands on experiences already like a suturing lab and the anatomy dissections that my friends at UAB told me they weren't getting to do. Plus it is cool that we get to know all of our classmates because when we get free time we all hang out and have social events and stuff.
Also, with regards to Dopa's comment, our school is really helpful. Our classmates will send out study guides they've made and all sorts of stuff before tests...I love it here and you guys will too!!

Yay! Congrats to all our new 1st years! I can't wait to meet everyone!
Last year our class had a lot of get-togethers before school started so that we could get to know each other before being thrown to the wolves. We planned most of this through our facebook group so make sure you join yours ASAP!
Good luck with everyone still waiting to hear! We had people getting in all the way into July, and we have a bunch of out of state students in our class from all over.
South is awesome because if you are an OOS then you can move to Mobile a few months before school and still get in state tuition.
Also, South is awesome! I'm so glad I chose to come here and not UAB. We have been getting some hands on experiences already like a suturing lab and the anatomy dissections that my friends at UAB told me they weren't getting to do. Plus it is cool that we get to know all of our classmates because when we get free time we all hang out and have social events and stuff.
Also, with regards to Dopa's comment, our school is really helpful. Our classmates will send out study guides they've made and all sorts of stuff before tests...I love it here and you guys will too!!

Just wanted to repost the link to the FB group:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_158985130804743&ap=1

Looking forward to seeing everyone this year! :D

Hey guys, I am an MS1 at UAB, I would like to echo what many of you have eluded to in that it is a tough decision between the state schools in Alabama, we are very lucky to have two stellar medical institutions to learn at. I was accepted to both and ultimately chose UAB for various reasons but you cannot go wrong with either honestly. I just wanted to clarify a few mis- conceptions about UAB so that you guys will have all the factual information when deciding which school to go to.
1. We do full dissections, I think they switched back to it about 2 years ago from the pre dissected bodies. Since we do organ modules we dissect each part of the body as we go through each system. By the end of our two years we will have dissected everything south does in their gross lab.
2. It might be true that south students get more "hands-on" stuff the clinical years but Its not like UAB is spitting out medical students that have not done anything in clinicals. One cool attribute for UAB is we get our white coats at the beginning of our first year and begin seeing patients in the first year. This was the biggest factor for me when deciding. Simulated patients and stuff are great, we have those as well but nothing beats walking into a hospital room and actually interacting with patients, especially right out of the gate.
This is just my .02 cents, if anybody has any Qs you can PM me. I am really knowledgeable of both programs.

Congrats to the new acceptances. Enjoy your time off though...it's a rough road ahead.

*lights lower, dramatic music comes on*

*takes drag on cigarette and slowly lets it out*

I remember, I was excited too. That was a whole 6 months ago. A lot has changed since then. I've seen horrors that most could never dream of. We've lost some good men.

*dramatic pause, looks down, then slowly up to make eye contact*

See you in the fall.

*extinguishes cigarette on arm*

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year interviews went on until mid-march (3/11 at UAB and 3/10 at South). And the wait-list kept moving through July. Don't lose hope just yet. Things aren't even close to over. Not by a long shot.

*lights another cigarette, to make a dramatic point*

He's right...the waitlist process is grueling, some would say it's worse than 'Nam. Always wondering when it's going to end, when you're going to get to go home. But it's really not over til the chopper brings you home.

*extinguishes cigarette again*

1. We do full dissections, I think they switched back to it about 2 years ago from the pre dissected bodies. Since we do organ modules we dissect each part of the body as we go through each system. By the end of our two years we will have dissected everything south does in their gross lab.

Ah, I stand corrected. Maybe there's been a misunderstanding by faculty and students here at South. Nonetheless, there seems to be a pretty sizable difference between our dissection methodology. In any case, we do it all in one semester, whereas it seems you guys revisit it throughout your science years as it becomes relevant to the current system?

So i guess bottom line is this:

South = Whole body in one semester

UAB = Individual/parts systems throughout first two years

Sorry for the misinformation.

2. It might be true that south students get more "hands-on" stuff the clinical years but Its not like UAB is spitting out medical students that have not done anything in clinicals. One cool attribute for UAB is we get our white coats at the beginning of our first year and begin seeing patients in the first year. This was the biggest factor for me when deciding. Simulated patients and stuff are great, we have those as well but nothing beats walking into a hospital room and actually interacting with patients, especially right out of the gate.

Yes, please, nobody think I am saying that UAB produces grads with no or low clinical experience. This is not the case (just look at the residency matches). My only point is that you are *more likely* to get more, high quality hands-on time at South; time you won't have to heavily compete with others to get. In the end, a lot depends on what you put into it. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I essentially cited the old nature vs. nurture dilemma.

IRT immediate clinical experience: Yes, that's definitely cool. I'm not sure the complexity of the things UAB let's 1st/2nd years do, but it's always good to get used to the environment, the ins and outs of how things work and to build up people skills, and all that jazz. For me, I had two years of clinical experience (volunteer at an indigent clinic, but not quite hospital quality experience). This was not a selling point for me. The glitz and glamor of the setting wore off fast, and basically the tasks you are permitted to perform get boring after a few weeks (AT THE CLINIC, I don't know what UAB has students do). I can't imagine you'll be spending large amounts of time in the clinic, based on how busy we are with regular classes. I also can't imagine you'll be putting in central lines or drawing blood or basically anything with any sort of inherent risk involved at UAB. Probably just a bunch of patient history and BP's and heart rates, what have you. This is definitely cool if you've never done it. We learn that stuff 1st year here too, trust me. We just do it in the comfort of a school/home setting, with clinical time in the 2nd year. You still learn it at South in the first two years (if you haven't already), and you still have to know it going into clinical years (where the really valuable learning occurs).

Last thing: South considers the White Coat ceremony a rite of passage. They want to make us feel like we earned it. And to soften the blow of the USMLE Step 1. Yes, this IS a more traditional point of view, like a lot of things at South.

BOTTOM LINE:

UAB might do a slightly better job of reminding you that you're going to be a doctor, and not cold-hard scientists, during those grueling first two years of science.

SOUTH does have clinical correlations (physician lecturers with real cases), surgical workshops, and Clinical Medicine (class) the first year, and clinical time starting the 2nd year.

I don't know if either school is 'better' in any objective way. I urge every person to consider the details before making such a big decision, but ultimately it is an intuitive decision for many. You just feel it. It's hard to imagine anyone feeling big time regret when choosing between two awesome things.

And for that matter, a couple of weeks ago. I'm one of the students that took you on the tour today and a couple of weeks ago. I just wanted to offer that if you have any questions, feel free to ask them and I'll try to respond.

And as a few have said, the waitlist isn't a 100% thing, but it is an 85-90% thing, so those are still pretty good odds. Hang in there!

Jason

And for that matter, a couple of weeks ago. I'm one of the students that took you on the tour today and a couple of weeks ago. I just wanted to offer that if you have any questions, feel free to ask them and I'll try to respond.

And as a few have said, the waitlist isn't a 100% thing, but it is an 85-90% thing, so those are still pretty good odds. Hang in there!

Jason

Haha, just had a chance to read the 3rd page and see there are a few of us in here already. What I get for posting before reading :)

Is the turn around for letting you know either acceptance or hold about a week after your interview? I couldn't remember from my interview last year how long it took. Someone else did post that last year they were notified about a week a later. Just wondering if it is the same this time around. Thanks

Is the turn around for letting you know either acceptance or hold about a week after your interview? I couldn't remember from my interview last year how long it took. Someone else did post that last year they were notified about a week a later. Just wondering if it is the same this time around. Thanks

Last year it was the next week. I think I got something in the mail Monday or Tuesday.

I passed it up....so I hope some deserving applicant gets my slot and has an awesome interview day....

Jason

I'm an in-state reapp and have a interview on March 2. Hope I can contribute to this thread and hope interviews go great for folks in March. Congrats to those who have been accepted!

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt

I love this quote. Good luck on your interview!! :luck:

Has anyone called the office and asked when the next round of acceptances is going out? It would be swell to find out I'm already accepted before jetsetting off to interview at schools in the North...

Has anyone called the office and asked when the next round of acceptances is going out? It would be swell to find out I'm already accepted before jetsetting off to interview at schools in the North...

The way it has worked before is they have a high score set during the entire interview process, accepting people after each interview, or putting them on hold/waitlist. This doesn't change until after the interview season, and then they look at how many spots they have, and slowly start lowering the score and accepting people off the waitlist then.

So if you were waitlisted/hold, I wouldn't expect any movement until after March at the earliest, based on how many people they accepted and how many declined a spot.

Interview 2/9!!!! Accepted 2/12!!!! :D

Last edited:
Interview 2/9!!!! Accepted 2/12!!!! :D

Wow, you got the letter the saturday after! That is quick! After your post i went to check my mail on sunday night... no such luck though. Maybe something will be there today. I interviewed the 16th.

The way it has worked before is they have a high score set during the entire interview process, accepting people after each interview, or putting them on hold/waitlist. This doesn't change until after the interview season, and then they look at how many spots they have, and slowly start lowering the score and accepting people off the waitlist then.

So if you were waitlisted/hold, I wouldn't expect any movement until after March at the earliest, based on how many people they accepted and how many declined a spot.

Wonder how much it would take to bribe enough people to give up their seats to ensure I has one...haha

Congrats to you preMDala.

Yay! I got my student number and such yesterday! Are they really this strict about a laptop?

interviewed 2/16. got the dreaded hold card 2/21.

:( I was really hoping you'd hear good news.

Thanks, I was definitely disappointed but not surprised. He said the bar was still very high when I interviewed. We shall see what happens. But like you, I applied to DO as well and have been accepted. So either way I am going to be a doc. :)

Yay! I got my student number and such yesterday! Are they really this strict about a laptop?

Yes and no. They require you have windows 7/xp (no need to have the backwards compatability environment for windows xp, if you have 7, you are fine). That said, if you try to do something and it doesn't work, and you don't meet those requirements, they "won't" help you. (They will try their butts off actually, really nice group).

So far it only matters for histology, and a program we used for physiology (which they said flat out won't work on a Mac, I'm not sure if it did or didn't. I'm not silly enough to throw away money on one :laugh: ). So far the histology virtual lab stuff works just fine on Mac's.

If you want to go entirely electronic, I would strongly recommend a wacom bamboo tablet, it's a USB tablet/pen combo for writing notes on stuff. This works MUCH better with windows 7 and Office 2010 than Mac's (altho the new 2011 office might have some of the features that they are currently missing). It's only like 50$ and has been well worth it if you want to draw something in the powerpoint or one note.

Amen to that.
BEGIN MAC WAR :poke:

There wouldn't be much of a war...function >>>> form when it comes to computers. Their OS is nice, I'll give ya that, except you have to run another OS to run most applications beyond the basics. If ya only use it for the basics, great, it does that swell...except you (well, not you, the MacCult person) grossly overpaid :p

At least they don't require Vista+pissed+

I love my Mac, but there's no way I'd spend the money on a new one especially if some of the programs won't work.

At least they don't require Vista+pissed+

I love my Mac, but there's no way I'd spend the money on a new one especially if some of the programs won't work.

Yeah, they pretty much flat out say don't use Vista. Not bad advice.

If you have a Mac, and it works fine for powerpoints and surfing the web, then you don't truly need a new computer. The one cardiovascular program they will let you use their own computers to work on if it doesn't work. And to my knowledge everyone with a mac (about 25% of the class really) don't have any problems with the histo virtual microscope.

Yeah, they pretty much flat out say don't use Vista. Not bad advice.

If you have a Mac, and it works fine for powerpoints and surfing the web, then you don't truly need a new computer. The one cardiovascular program they will let you use their own computers to work on if it doesn't work. And to my knowledge everyone with a mac (about 25% of the class really) don't have any problems with the histo virtual microscope.

My only concern is that my Macbook is five years old. :scared: I think it's about time to upgrade.

Do you have any apartment suggestions?

Do you have any apartment suggestions?

The single apartment with the most students in it is probably Timber Ridge, at least 10 of us first years are here, with a few more looking to move in. (and if you end up picking here, PM me and I'll give ya my info to put down for referral, and will split the money they offer me). It's sort of a middle of the road. Not the most expensive, and not the cheapest. Really friendly and responsive staff. Valet trash is nice, and they take pets (even big dogs, I swear someone has a pet bear here). It's also really close to campus. Takes about 10-15 mins (depending on school zone) to get from my door to the door of school.

Arlington parks is the another a few are at, it's a bit newer and a bit more expensive, but a few minutes further.

The only 2 people I know at colonial village are moving out.

There are others, but I don't recall their names. But I don't think you can go wrong with Timber Ridge. I know 4 people are moving in here from 3 different apartments (the 4th was renting a room from a townhouse thingy). 1 person is moving out to get a house near the hospital.

The single apartment with the most students in it is probably Timber Ridge, at least 10 of us first years are here, with a few more looking to move in. (and if you end up picking here, PM me and I'll give ya my info to put down for referral, and will split the money they offer me). It's sort of a middle of the road. Not the most expensive, and not the cheapest. Really friendly and responsive staff. Valet trash is nice, and they take pets (even big dogs, I swear someone has a pet bear here). It's also really close to campus. Takes about 10-15 mins (depending on school zone) to get from my door to the door of school.

Arlington parks is the another a few are at, it's a bit newer and a bit more expensive, but a few minutes further.

The only 2 people I know at colonial village are moving out.

There are others, but I don't recall their names. But I don't think you can go wrong with Timber Ridge. I know 4 people are moving in here from 3 different apartments (the 4th was renting a room from a townhouse thingy). 1 person is moving out to get a house near the hospital.

Thanks for all your suggestions!! Have you heard anything about Cimarron Ridge? I found it online.

Accepted today!!! =)
Interviewed 2/23

Congrats!!!

Thanks for all your suggestions!! Have you heard anything about Cimarron Ridge? I found it online.

One of the people moving into timber ridge is moving from there. She has been there for several years (did undergrad at USA too) and was happy until this year. She had an issue and management was giving her a hard time about it, wanting to charge her for something that they really shouldn't be, etc and it's been ongoing for months now. So she is moving out. But she was happy for years before then. I'm sure ya can find people who love/hate everyplace :)

Enjoyed the March 2nd interview experience (we got Mardi Gras beads!!) and the great salesman that is Dr. Scott at South. I believe a lot of us will be getting a clearer picture since "The Score" will be lowered this month and hopefully most of us will be accepted. I'm confident by the end of March or beginning of April we will know if we're in or having to play the wait game or that Mobile is not an option this year. Is there any other insight that anybody else got from end of Feb. or beginning of Mar. interviews? Keep the dream alive!!

I'm trying to remember the exact dates, but there are a few "key" dates that impact the process. I may not have them exactly, but give you an idea. One is that by the end of March'ish, schools must have at least 1 non-declined offer out for every seat. This doesn't impact USA so much directly, as by now they already have done this, but some schools don't so more invites in general should go out then.

The other is May 15th I think. That is the date that most deposits become nonrefundable. This tends to be the date that people who have multiple acceptances start to decide, and reject the other ones, if they haven't already.

Hey guys, I am new to this forum and do not really know how it works, but thought my question would fit well here.

I am right now a senior in highschool and i have an interview for South's COMEAP program, which is the early acceptance program for medical school. I have my interview on friday and really need some advice on what i should and should not say, what to wear, basically everything haha.

I am interning in EMT school, so in a few weeks i will be a certified emt, i have over 90 hours community service, capt of the tennis team, 29 act, have taken biology at olemiss last summer, shadowed a couple doctors......

Any advice at all would be awesome. Thanks in advance!!

Hey guys, I am new to this forum and do not really know how it works, but thought my question would fit well here.

I am right now a senior in highschool and i have an interview for South's COMEAP program, which is the early acceptance program for medical school. I have my interview on friday and really need some advice on what i should and should not say, what to wear, basically everything haha.

I am interning in EMT school, so in a few weeks i will be a certified emt, i have over 90 hours community service, capt of the tennis team, 29 act, have taken biology at olemiss last summer, shadowed a couple doctors......

Any advice at all would be awesome. Thanks in advance!!

Be truthful with all of your responses. They will be able to tell if you are just telling them what you think they want to hear. You can almost guarantee they will ask you "Why do you want to be a doctor?" and "Why South?".

As far as dress, where a suit and tie or the equivalent for a woman (if that applies to you). Act professional yet remain personable. Don't be rigid or stiff but know that they do realize you will be nervous.

Hope some of that helps! Good luck!

i need some help with the "why south" question. honestly i have no idea about their med school

Status
Not open for further replies.