Good wrist watch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mitch556

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey does anyone have any suggestions for a wrist watch for less than $100?

Members don't see this ad.

Skagen Metal Strap Watches ~ $100

Members don't see this ad :)
rolex. the price is worth it....:cool:

wait for it, wait for itttttt

NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

but on a serious note, if you just look around at wal-mart they have some pretty decent ones for $20-$30. functional AND shiny :D

56.JPG

Buy the cheapest Timex Ironman 10 or 30 lap watch you can find. They last years, are practically indestructible, and cost under $30.

If you want a professional looking watch, the only advice I can give is to buy something with a leather band.

Leather straps are a culture medium that you keep next to your hand, at body temperature no less. Go with a mesh banded Skagen, you can get good deals on them at Amazon.

Fake rolex, go to jail, and write a PS about it. :)

tokyo-flash.jpg

yes its a real watch. Time reads 1:21

If you are willing to pay about $75 more I recommend the basic Swiss Army watches. That's what I have and I have beat the heck out of it. It still keeps perfect time. I also like it because it is a decent watch without being too flashy. Lastly, the warranty is awesome (3 years).

Kenneth Cole has some nice watches around that price. If you're only planning on owning 1 watch, make sure to get one w/ a second hand

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are willing to pay about $75 more I recommend the basic Swiss Army watches. That's what I have and I have beat the heck out of it. It still keeps perfect time. I also like it because it is a decent watch without being too flashy. Lastly, the warranty is awesome (3 years).
If you're going to do that I'd recommend Fossil with a 10 year warranty.

If you're going to do that I'd recommend Fossil with a 10 year warranty.

I started with fossils, but once my love of watches turned into an addiction I switched over to diesels... I find they're a lot more aggressive with their styling and the watches themselves are a lot more interesting. Is also nice that not every aggravating 15 year old has a Diesel as well.

DZ1187_1.jpg

That is my favorite of the lot... the watch face isn't gold, rather the crystal has this nuclear yellow hue that I love :D Sadly, way way too big to fit under a dress shirt cuff... :(

I recommend getting an indentured servant to pull a small wagon for you which holds a stately looking grandfather clock. It may cost more than $100 (Depending on how much food and space your servant needs) but it doubles as a conversation piece at dinner parties and he can also help you carry other small objects in the wagon, including your scrubs and dissection kits.

I recommend getting an indentured servant to pull a small wagon for you which holds a stately looking grandfather clock. It may cost more than $100 (Depending on how much food and space your servant needs) but it doubles as a conversation piece at dinner parties and he can also help you carry other small objects in the wagon, including your scrubs and dissection kits.

:laugh:

If I only had 100 dollars and I needed a watch, I'd probably get one of the Skagen watches. Clean, professional, well-made.

Even cheaper...... could probably just a clock and some string laying around the house.

FlavaFlav.jpg

I'm pretty sure you can hire Flava Flav to be your clock for a year for under $100. It's not like he's being swamped with work these days.

movado-mens-luno-watch.jpg

Movado Luno or even Esperanza lines look very sharp. (Ok...maybe they're a little over budget....)

Sorry to jump in the middle of the convo but I just saw this and thought of this thread haha. RueLaLa is having a great sale on Swiss Legend watches (both mens and womens) for the next 2 days. They start at $79 and they've got like $1000 watches for $99-$199, geez. The site is http://ruelala.com or http://www.ruelala.com/invite/sdaniel252 for anyone who wants to be nice and let me be their referrer :)

Crap now I want another watch. :D

my friends have been into some watches called g shock or baby g shocks, but those may be a bit sportier looking

I'm pretty surprised that nobody has mentioned getting a replica Omega, Rolex, Rado, etc.

Believe it or not, the best thing about owning a replica watch is that when people notice it on your wrist, the FIRST thing most people ask is the brand. If you just tell them it's a Fossil, then they will probably be like ok. But if you tell them it's a Rolex, you'll get tons of "NO WAY!" Also, since you'll be a doc, nobody will really question if it's real or not, it's automatically assumed based on your profession.

Speaking of, I have a 80 dollar Rado I've been wearing for 3 years now and it looks as good as the day I bought it. They only thing it lacked from the geniuine, 1500 dollar version is the certificate and scratch resistant glass (though this glass is still resistant, it's not like the original)

Depends what you're looking for.

I have several G-shocks in different colors, but these obviously are sporty watches that go well with scrubs/in the OR but not dress clothes so much. They range from like $90-110.

If you want dressy for like the wards, Fossil makes some really cool pieces. They have models with leather strap and metal bands both, and they are generally well made and LOOK expensive and nice. Prices for fossils range from like $80-150.

http://www.fossil.com/webapp/wcs/st...categoryId=30016&parent_category_rn=30001&N=0

I have several G-shocks in different colors, but these obviously are sporty watches that go well with scrubs/in the OR but not dress clothes so much. They range from like $90-110.

Another G-Shock Fan here!! =D This watches are more reliable than other watches IMO. My last MTG-905 is still up and running, 6 years old! Too bad, the plastic ring starts discoloration and not shiny anymore.

SO I brought in new guy:

Casio-MTG-1000-1AER.jpg

whoever suggested the modovo, its way more than $100. it doesnt have a second hand which is pretty important. i like them, but they just arent practical.

you could get a bulova. orient makes some nice watches, and have nice sales

I'm pretty surprised that nobody has mentioned getting a replica Omega, Rolex, Rado, etc.

Believe it or not, the best thing about owning a replica watch is that when people notice it on your wrist, the FIRST thing most people ask is the brand. If you just tell them it's a Fossil, then they will probably be like ok. But if you tell them it's a Rolex, you'll get tons of "NO WAY!" Also, since you'll be a doc, nobody will really question if it's real or not, it's automatically assumed based on your profession.

Speaking of, I have a 80 dollar Rado I've been wearing for 3 years now and it looks as good as the day I bought it. They only thing it lacked from the geniuine, 1500 dollar version is the certificate and scratch resistant glass (though this glass is still resistant, it's not like the original)

Except you're wearing a fake and lying to everyone about its authenticity. Not to mention you'll look like a huge douche wearing a supposedly $1500 watch as a med student/resident

Also replicas tend to not be water-proof or very sturdy, I've broken a few replica Rolex and Omegas by water logging them (from washing my hands) or shattering the glass.

09112010015-1.jpg

My Skagen that I've had for 10years, cost a bit more than $100 (I think I paid $250 for it) but it was worth it. I also have a metal mesh band one and a leather one that I never wear. They come with a lifetime warranty, and even if you damage it from abuse they'll fix them for pretty cheap. I never take my watches off and I'm pretty hard on them, I've killed a few Fossils by forgetting to take them off before getting into saunas.
Personally I like the solid link titanium ones better than the mesh, I've bent a couple of the mesh ones when they got caught on stuff. And leather starts to fall apart after a few months of showering.

You know what they say:
When in doubt, wear as many as you can fit on your wrist.

dXqjk.jpg

Edit: oh, and make sure they all display a different time too.

Not far from that lineup of watches is a closet filled with a collection of Ed Hardy gear and truckers hats that would make Ashton Kutcher blush.

You know what they say:
When in doubt, wear as many as you can fit on your wrist.

dXqjk.jpg

Edit: oh, and make sure they all display a different time too.

I highly recommend the Skagen as well. This watch is sleek, it doesn’t look cheap, and has a nice metallic look. You could also spend a little more and get a Tag off of eBay. I however think you should by yourself a Rolex once you get out of residency or another triumph as a watch in my opinion should be a good watch if you have achieved something.
http://gearpatrol.com/blog/2009/03/30/10-best-watches-under-100/2/

Many of us wear a Casio.

Although I am a Swiss Army man, I have had Casios and they are awesome. In fact, I once owned the first model of Casio watch ever made, and it was stolen from me. Casio's stuff is cool because it is well made yet affordable. For instance, I have a Casio graphing calculator that cost me $90. It has way more power and features than the TI-84, which costs significantly more. Anyways, I like the brand, that's all.

do you really need to ask sdn for advice on which wrist watch to buy? has it come to this?

Hey guys: Honest watch question.

The only watch I could wear to my interviews would be a movado... doesn't look super flashy, but I'm concerned showing up wearing such an expensive watch at may age would come off badly.
HGTCM.jpg

Thoughts??