UMDNJ GSBS MBS Fall 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djv5025

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting this thread early for everyone who is applying to any of the three campuses for the Fall 2011 Masters Programs. I've applied to all three early (I think most people apply starting in January).

So who else is applying?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning to apply as well. I haven't taken the GRE nor the MCAT. I need to take either in Jan.

Any idea what are the recommended grads for them. I'm so scared of taking the MCAT I'm not ready for it at all.

Well make sure you study and go into the exam with confidence. You only want to take it once, so go in there when you are ready and get the best score you can!

As for the grades, just from scanning the older threads, I think mid 20's MCATs and a 3.0 GPA seems to be acceptable for the Newark and Stratford programs. For the RWJ, I'm not sure, since they're on their first year with the MBS program, however, their website says you should have at least a 22 MCAT and a 3.0 GPA.

Others who are in the program could probably give a better answer for what stats are reccomended to be accepted into the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so scared of taking the MCAT I'm not ready for it at all.

A poor first MCAT score will hurt you when you apply to med schools, regardless of whether you are able to say "i needed the mcat for the masters program so i had to hurry and take it". If i were in your situation and didn't have time to do well on the mcat before i needed to apply to the smp, i would take the GRE. One downside of this is that it would put you at a significant disadvantage to getting into the class with the medical students (Molecular and Genetic Medicine), for which they look closely at your MCAT score to determine if you are to take one of the few spots for grad students in the class. You have the opportunity to take MGM your first or your third semester though, so if you plan on doing three semesters you will have a chance to take MGM the next year.

Hey WUBear,

As a current student, how's the program? Do you feel as if it will help you get into UMDNJ, or any medical school? How are the classes, professors, etc?

Anyone in the program know how long it takes to hear back on acceptances? I'm hoping to apply in January. Is it generally easier to get in if I apply early?
Thanks.

There is a thread with about 4 posts somewhere at the bottom of this subsection of the forum.

Anyone else having regrets about this program? The program doesn't seem at all interested in making you a better applicant. Its just like theyre funneling students through as another means of income. It's almost impossible to find an advisor who would actually help you out or give you advice, they all seem to give one sentence replys and direct you elsewhere.

There's 100+ students in every graduating class, and about 3/4 will do the 1.5 year route... meaning 175+ people in the program each year and a LOT of people applying to dental/medical schools each year. I don't know what the success rate is... but from what I'm seeing so far... its probably 25% or much less. This program is geared more towards giving you the degree rather than helping you get into health programs.

The classes seem to be way too easy which is both good and bad... its good because it pads your stats... but its bad in that if you want to get into NJMS/NJDS its very hard to differentiate yourself from everyone else when everyone is getting A's left and right. More than half of the people seem to be graduating with a 3.8+ in this program. I know a LOT people who are graduating this december with a 3.8+ in this program that have applied to med school and dental schools and have not gotten any interviews yet, not even from UMDNJ. I know a very select few who have gotten interviews from UMDNJ, and theyve all taken the medical/dental courses. The only way to differentiate yourself is to take the medical and dental school courses, which comes at a huge risk.

Take 2 of those courses and get As in them along with As in your other classes and you've just cemented your interview spot with NJMS or NJDS.

Take 2 of those courses and get Bs in them along with As in your other classes and your chances at NJMS and NJDS will be no better than before the program... and you probably just killed your chances at any other med/dent school because they don't care/understand what those classes really are... just that you got a B in them.

If I had to do this all over again, I would've chosen to attend Tulane's Cell Biology program instead (which I will most likely have to do as it seems this program isnt going to improve my chances of getting into medical school)... since its specifically designed to assist students in getting into health programs. It seems this program was never intended to do that (assist students in getting into med/dent programs) and I just went in with false impressions.

You can get very, very high grades at most masters programs it seems... you just have to pick one that will help you with the NON-numbers portion of your app... something UMDNJ GSBS doesn't seem interested in doing.

Just my two cents

I find a lot of truth in your post, but Dr. Wagner and the rest of the advisors have been incredibly helpful, willing to meet with me at the drop of a hat, and genuinely concerned with getting me into medical school.

Also, with regards to your point that taking class with the med/dent students comes with great risk, I have a few friends who got B+'s or equivalent grades in SMP classes at the BU masters and Gtown masters and they are both spending their next year doing research while reapplying to med school again - my point being that this phenomenon of A's or bust in SMP's is hardly unique to UMDNJ GSBS Newark.

I agree that there is grade inflation and a large student body. Do what you need to to stand out.

Edit/Addition: I definitely do think this program is well aware of students' intentions to apply to med/dental school and attempts to tailor parts of the program around that. I do not disagree that you might get a better program if you're at a private school paying 40k a semester as opposed to something like 5k a semester here. In fact I'd be damn pissed if I was at Gtown/BU/Tulane paying 8 times as much and there was no tangible benefit in outcome. I came here because NJMS was/is my best shot so I'm giving it my all within the UMDNJ community; UMDNJ GSBS masters may not be the best choice for everyone.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. After speaking with advisors, the vibe I got is you can still hurt your chances of getting into NJMS, even with a high GPA. According to them, the adcom knows which courses are "easy" and which courses are "hard," and so if you want to distinguish yourself, you should take mostly (if not all) hard courses and get A's.

As for the advisors in general, I've had very mixed experiences. There are times where they seem very into the students, and very willing to help/offer advice. Other times, they literally take a week or longer just to reply to an e-mail. And then when you finally get a reply, it's obviously half-assed/rushed.

Personally, I'm just trying to make the most of it now by taking courses that interest me and doing the best I can in them. I'm not even going to attempt to tailor my schedule to "hard" or "easy" classes. Beyond that, it'll be what it'll be, I can only hope for the best.

Overall, I definitely regret ever applying to this program. If I were asked by anyone else, I wouldn't recommend it.

Anyone in the program know how long it takes to hear back on acceptances? I'm hoping to apply in January. Is it generally easier to get in if I apply early?
Thanks.

Judging on the responses in the previous years threads, it looks like acceptances range for Stratford and Newark anywhere from February to June/July. It looks as though Stratford reviews apps and sends acceptances quicker than Newark, but that's just speculation.

I emailed the head of the program at RWJMS and he said that acceptances will go out early in February, depending on how many apps they get.

Well make sure you study and go into the exam with confidence. You only want to take it once, so go in there when you are ready and get the best score you can!

As for the grades, just from scanning the older threads, I think mid 20's MCATs and a 3.0 GPA seems to be acceptable for the Newark and Stratford programs. For the RWJ, I'm not sure, since they're on their first year with the MBS program, however, their website says you should have at least a 22 MCAT and a 3.0 GPA.

Others who are in the program could probably give a better answer for what stats are reccomended to be accepted into the program.

I called the office of admission and the score of the program changed ... I know thats what it says on the website: 22 for MCAT but I was told different when I called. For MCAT it is 28 min and for the GRE 640 for Math and 478 for Verbal.

So I think I'm better off taking the GRE for now. I don't want to rush taking MCAT.

I called the office of admission and the score of the program changed ... I know thats what it says on the website: 22 for MCAT but I was told different when I called. For MCAT it is 28 min and for the GRE 640 for Math and 478 for Verbal.

So I think I'm better off taking the GRE for now. I don't want to rush taking MCAT.

Is that at RWJ or Newark?

Is that at RWJ or Newark?

The newark one I believe.

But I just realized that they have 3 different numbers for questions. The number I called is (973) 972-4511.
I will be calling all numbers Monday and try to get the differences admission requirments.

My question now is: From reading past threads about the GSBS program I sense that it really isn't a good gateway to the NJMS. Will any other MS program give the same chance that GSBS gives? I would rather do my masters in something that I might use for a job later on until I get accepted in medical school like Psychiatric Rehabilitation and Counseling Profession MS and get money's worth. It might a question to ask an advisor. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

But I just realized that they have 3 different numbers for questions. The number I called is (973) 972-4511.

That's the Newark number alright. Interesting about the minimum MCAT score being that there is no mention of any minimum on their site. However, there is a mention of the minimum on the RWJ site.

That's really interesting. You'd think they would mention that on their website lol

Members don't see this ad :)
For MCAT it is 28 min and for the GRE 640 for Math and 478 for Verbal.

As much as they would love for everyone to enter with a med school worthy MCAT of at least 28, that is hardly the case. If you were made to believe that is a cutoff of any sort for admission into the program, you were misled. Requirements arent stringent, and they get plenty of people of both the High MCAT/low GPA, and Low MCAT/decent-to-high GPA variety

As much as they would love for everyone to enter with a med school worthy MCAT of at least 28, that is hardly the case. If you were made to believe that is a cutoff of any sort for admission into the program, you were misled. Requirements arent stringent, and they get plenty of people of both the High MCAT/low GPA, and Low MCAT/decent-to-high GPA variety

I really hope this is the case. Because really if I think about I have a friend who scored 28 in the mcat and got in the DO school without this MS program.
It just that I called twice and both times I got the same answer.

I will be calling all numbers Monday and try to get the differences admission requirments.

My question now is: From reading past threads about the GSBS program I sense that it really isn't a good gateway to the NJMS. Will any other MS program give the same chance that GSBS gives? I would rather do my masters in something that I might use for a job later on until I get accepted in medical school like Psychiatric Rehabilitation and Counseling Profession MS and get money's worth. It might a question to ask an advisor. Any thoughts?

Did you end up getting an update on the other two schools? I know RWJ has it on their website, but Newark doesn't mention anything, and apparently they have a minimum MCAT of 28. So I was just wondering if RWJ and Stratford gave similar answers.

I'm applying to RWJ.
I don't see the application for the other 2 schools, are they not up yet?

Newark def does not have a minimum 28 MCAT for this program. Don't know where you got that info from, but word is that there average MCAT for admitted students is lower than that.

Newark def does not have a minimum 28 MCAT for this program. Don't know where you got that info from, but word is that there average MCAT for admitted students is lower than that.

I called this number (973) 972-4511.
You can call them and ask yourself. I was told that this has been the average for accepting students. Maybe the lady was talking about a different program but I did ask twice.

I'm going to take the GRE because if I can get 28 on the MCAT I should just apply for Medical Schools. Thats why it doesn't seem real.

I'm going to apply to the RWJ program and the Newark one.

I was told that this has been the average for accepting students. Maybe the lady was talking about a different program but I did ask twice.

Fixed your confusion. Minimum =/= average

Hey WUBear,

So, I know they base whether you can take Med School courses on your GPA and MCAT. How many students from the Master's Program are actually selected? What average GPA/MCAT do you need to take the classes?

Well, I have corresponded with them as of late as well and I was told that their average is 26.

Regardless, just apply and see what happens.

Is it possible that they are talking about the average MCAT for those GSBS students who have been chosen to take first year med school courses? That would make more sense.

Well, I have corresponded with them as of late as well and I was told that their average is 26.

Regardless, just apply and see what happens.

The average MCAT is probably 21ish, and the average GPA is probably 2.9ish. The program isn't hard to get into at all... don't sweat yourself.

Is it possible that they are talking about the average MCAT for those GSBS students who have been chosen to take first year med school courses? That would make more sense.

No... the average MCAT score of those selected to take the first year courses is like a 32. The ones taking the med courses are those with high MCAT and low GPAs... smart kids who made mistakes and are trying to make up for it.

what do you mean chosen to take med school classes?
Also when is everyone getting their app in? I was thinking mid Jan. Is that ok? or too late?

what do you mean chosen to take med school classes?
Also when is everyone getting their app in? I was thinking mid Jan. Is that ok? or too late?

For the Master's Program at Newark, you have to be selected to be allowed to take two courses with the medical students. They base it on GPA/MCAT.

In Stratford, however, you are free to take up to two medical school courses. You don't need approval based on your GPA/MCAT.

For RWJ, I think their program is a little different, and the classes are similar to the medical school courses. Someone who is currently in the program can probably shed more light on this.

The average MCAT is probably 21ish, and the average GPA is probably 2.9ish. The program isn't hard to get into at all... don't sweat yourself.

I do agree with you. If it is the avg it means that there are those who had lower scores that got accepted.

Anyone has an advice on books for the GRE since I don't want to risk taking the MCAT now I want to take it in the summer. I was thinking Kaplan books. Any suggestions for those who will take the GRE !!

hello everyone ..i attend the program in stratford so feel free to ask me any questions.. I suggest pm me since Im not on the forum much!

Hey WUBear,

So, I know they base whether you can take Med School courses on your GPA and MCAT. How many students from the Master's Program are actually selected? What average GPA/MCAT do you need to take the classes?

No... the average MCAT score of those selected to take the first year courses is like a 32. The ones taking the med courses are those with high MCAT and low GPAs... smart kids who made mistakes and are trying to make up for it.

Indeed, they look for a med-school-competitive MCAT if you want to take the med school courses. I had a 33. I haven't asked anyone else their score since it's a pretty sensitive number for some people, so I can't tell you the average or what cutoff you need to be considered. My GPA was a 2.8, but I was told that my having mentioned the recent 3.9 semester and updated them with a following 4.0 semester (despite that still leaving me with a 2.8) factored into their decision as an upward trend.

They take about 20 students from the masters program each year to take the class with around 180 med students. That's a lot of masters students. Most are in their third semester. I can think of at least 6 first year masters students who were in the class (including me) off the top of my head.

You guys are free to post questions here, and if I see this and nobody has responded I (or someone else in the program) may respond, but you should attempt to search the following two threads first. If you didn't know - when you are in a thread, there is a button "search this thread", which will prove invaluable in finding info on this program in these two threads below (the thread for the 2010 class and 2009 class).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=697308

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=587878

So for the students in the program, is it doable in one year? Or is completing it in 1.5 years more feasible?

So for the students in the program, is it doable in one year? Or is completing it in 1.5 years more feasible?

I know the program is doable in one year being that they post a one year schedule on the admissions page. Would finishing the program in one year be more attractive to adcoms (assuming solid grades of course)?

Also, I have yet to read any success stories about this program. I searched the forums of the earlier threads, and I cannot seem to find anyone who said this program helped (or for that matter didn't help) them gain admissions. NJMS is my number one on my list of med schools, so I'm hoping this program can give me a boost.

Oh wait... I have to get into the program first :laugh: Guess I'm putting the cart before the horse.

I know the program is doable in one year being that they post a one year schedule on the admissions page. Would finishing the program in one year be more attractive to adcoms (assuming solid grades of course)?

Also, I have yet to read any success stories about this program. I searched the forums of the earlier threads, and I cannot seem to find anyone who said this program helped (or for that matter didn't help) them gain admissions. NJMS is my number one on my list of med schools, so I'm hoping this program can give me a boost.

Oh wait... I have to get into the program first :laugh: Guess I'm putting the cart before the horse.

I know of someone who got in to NJMS and was even accepted as an early decision student. That person also got a 4.0 in the program and took both the med school biochem and physio courses. Oh, and that person also had a 3.8 GPA pre-UMDNJ GSBS gpa.

I know of someone who got in to NJMS and was even accepted as an early decision student. That person also got a 4.0 in the program and took both the med school biochem and physio courses. Oh, and that person also had a 3.8 GPA pre-UMDNJ GSBS gpa.

3.8 pre? Yeah, sort of expected for him/her to get in. (Surprised someone with that high of GPA needed the program in the first place. Low MCAT?) I guess I'm looking more for people who went in with a relatively low GPA and the program gave him/her that extra kicker.

I know that this thread isn't for the class of 2012 (entering Fall 2011) but since I didn't find it, I figure I'd ask anyways.

I'm a pre-dent and because of my GPA, I will need to apply for a SMP. The program that is offered at the Newark campus is a top choice of mine but I sort of have a dilemma on my hands: I am not taking my DAT until May-ish. I know that the school has rolling admissions so I am worried that I won't have a chance because of how late I will be applying. Has anyone else had experience with applying late and gaining acceptance? Also, do they have some sort of cut off when it comes to grades? My overall GPA is a 3.1 and my science is a 2.70 (ish).

Thanks for your help!

I know there is no GPA cutoff (I got in with a 2.7 of sorts), but i'm not sure about applying in may. what you should do is look in the 2010 thread and 2009 thread and find posts in may and see the people that applied then and their experiences

I know there is no GPA cutoff (I got in with a 2.7 of sorts), but i'm not sure about applying in may. what you should do is look in the 2010 thread and 2009 thread and find posts in may and see the people that applied then and their experiences

Are you at NJMS now? I see the MS-1.

I have been in contact with the admission office at the RWJ MBS program and be advised that they only have 1 course that is taken with med students according to admissions and the faculty advisor I spoke with. I believe the MBS in Newark has more classes associated with actual med students.

I have been in contact with the admission office at the RWJ MBS program and be advised that they only have 1 course that is taken with med students according to admissions and the faculty advisor I spoke with. I believe the MBS in Newark has more classes associated with actual med students.

Thanks for the information. Do you know whether RWJ limits the amount of Master's students to take that class? Or is it already apart of the curriculum?

Improbable submit! This might help a lot of folks find out about this matter.

Yo Toni, I'd bet the house that your spamming is gonna get you banned. You're gonna get served.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just spoke with admissions for the program at Stratford. They said they will review applications on February 1st, with the first decisions coming out a week or two afterwards.

Here we go!

For those who don't know, they will begin reviewing applications at Newark in Feb as well.

Anyone hear anything yet?

I believe I was within the first group notified last year - it seems I posted that I was accepted 2/24.