UMDNJ GSBS MBS Fall 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all,

Just received my acceptance for Stratford. It was sent via email. Still holding out for Newark campus, but happy either way :)

3.47 GPA
27N MCAT (7P, 10V, 10B)
Complete in late Feb.

Congrats!! Hope to see you in the fall!

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm guessing there are no interviews involved in this application process?

So I'm guessing there are no interviews involved in this application process?

There are no mandatory interviews, and you will not even hear about the ability to do an optional interview. But any of the three program directors (garrett- medical track, tsiagbe-dental, wagner-both/general) would probably be willing to meet with you to discuss whether the program is right for you, your chances of admission (spoiler: probably 100%), and suggested courses/a plan of action for completing the program. I met with one of them a couple times before enrolling

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys should start seeing acceptances coming from Newark soon enough. Got mine this week. Good luck. I'm sure you won't need any though ;)

You guys should start seeing acceptances coming from Newark soon enough. Got mine this week. Good luck. I'm sure you won't need any though ;)

Congrats! I received a letter from financial aid from newark today. I thought it was from admissions at first :/ Now they're just messing with me....

Congrats! I received a letter from financial aid from newark today. I thought it was from admissions at first :/ Now they're just messing with me....

Both the acceptance letter and the financial aid letter came on the same day for me. Sounds like you're in!

Both the acceptance letter and the financial aid letter came on the same day for me. Sounds like you're in!

Yep, I got them both today too. I think I'm still leaning towards Stratford though.

I got an acceptance to the program at RWJ a couple days ago

My stats are:
3.26cGPA, 3.16 sGPA, 33Q MCAT

I am probably going to forfeit my spot here. Good luck to everybody.

Hi,

So I got accepted into the UMDNJ GSBS Newark program and another one year program. I was just wondering if anyone who is currently in the program or have finished the program can give me some brief pros/cons? I'm trying to decide between this program and others. The only vibe I got from this thread is that this program seems to be easy to get into, does that mean this program is not very good, etc?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi,

So I got accepted into the UMDNJ GSBS Newark program and another one year program. I was just wondering if anyone who is currently in the program or have finished the program can give me some brief pros/cons? I'm trying to decide between this program and others. The only vibe I got from this thread is that this program seems to be easy to get into, does that mean this program is not very good, etc?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

From what i've read on the forums, UMDNJ is easy to get into. They also seem to have two classes that if you take and get a (Maybe B? i forgot) you will increase your chances in getting into UMDNJ. Aside from that I have heard that the class size is quite large. Im not sure what else there is and all my information is from reading sdn so dont hold me to anything.

What other programs did you apply to? are you from the tri-state area?

From what i've read on the forums, UMDNJ is easy to get into. They also seem to have two classes that if you take and get a (Maybe B? i forgot) you will increase your chances in getting into UMDNJ. Aside from that I have heard that the class size is quite large. Im not sure what else there is and all my information is from reading sdn so dont hold me to anything.

What other programs did you apply to? are you from the tri-state area?

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I also got accepted into TCMC and still awaiting reply for georgetown, tufts and tulane. I'm actually from CA, so I'm currently debating between UMDNJ and TCMC and was wondering if anyone can give me any insights into UMDNJ Newark.

Members don't see this ad :)
academically, the program isn't bad. from what i've gathered, finishing the program in a year is totally doable.

the med school courses and dent school courses have limited enrollment, and I believe selection of who can take the course is based off of gpa and mcat/dat.

in terms of the environment, i've been advised by many people to never walk alone at night, since the area is pretty sketchy. it is actually surprising to see how crappy it can get as you walk a few blocks away from the school.

The classes we take are also taken by other graduate students as well right? So we are not just taking classes specifically for the mbs program with just those who are in the mbs program. Has anyone seen any cons to this, such as larger class size? How large are the class sizes? Does it make it harder to get to know the professors and harder to ask for help? Are there personal help for those in the mbs program or is it more of a "you're on your own" type of program?

I apologize for all the questions. I just really want to know before I decide. Thanks!

The classes we take are also taken by other graduate students as well right? So we are not just taking classes specifically for the mbs program with just those who are in the mbs program. Has anyone seen any cons to this, such as larger class size? How large are the class sizes? Does it make it harder to get to know the professors and harder to ask for help? Are there personal help for those in the mbs program or is it more of a "you're on your own" type of program?

I apologize for all the questions. I just really want to know before I decide. Thanks!

I can't respond to all of your questions because I have only taken one class really - the 7 credit MGM class with the medical students. Besides that I took the mandatory 1-credit seminar, and took care of the mandatory 2-credit research rotation.

Regarding class size (which I haven't experienced first-hand): Some classes are limited to a smaller amount of students (~20, 30), I know some of the more popular (easy) classes are just in the main lecture hall and probably have at least 50 student in them. Students looking to meet professors can take one of the smaller courses (one example is the few stem cell courses offered by Remeshwar, people like to take her courses because she is on the ADCOM and gets to know students in her classes).

Regarding personal help: There are three advisors in the program, who I wrote the names of earlier in this thread. I first met with the advisor I chose December the year before I started the program. I met April before I started the program (right about now for you guys) with my advisor again and we made up possible schedules for me. I have met with my advisor four or five times since then - within two or three days of each time I had requested to meet. I will be getting a med school LOR from my advisor soon. I think the availability of help has been phenomenal - this is my personal experience.

One interesting perk to UMDNJ GSBS Newark is your ability to get published. I mentioned above that you have a mandatory 2-credit 'research rotation'. You do a minimum of 40 hours of research in a lab that you choose (email a lab head and ask to rotate in it). Most people end up doing much more than 40 hours, and performing meaningful research that leads to abstracts, posters, and papers.

Regarding who you take courses with, there might be the rare course open to both masters and PhD students, but (besides class you opt to take at the Medical or Dental Schools) are all with masters students

Hope this helps

I can't respond to all of your questions because I have only taken one class really - the 7 credit MGM class with the medical students. Besides that I took the mandatory 1-credit seminar, and took care of the mandatory 2-credit research rotation.

Regarding class size (which I haven't experienced first-hand): Some classes are limited to a smaller amount of students (~20, 30), I know some of the more popular (easy) classes are just in the main lecture hall and probably have at least 50 student in them. Students looking to meet professors can take one of the smaller courses (one example is the few stem cell courses offered by Remeshwar, people like to take her courses because she is on the ADCOM and gets to know students in her classes).

Regarding personal help: There are three advisors in the program, who I wrote the names of earlier in this thread. I first met with the advisor I chose December the year before I started the program. I met April before I started the program (right about now for you guys) with my advisor again and we made up possible schedules for me. I have met with my advisor four or five times since then - within two or three days of each time I had requested to meet. I will be getting a med school LOR from my advisor soon. I think the availability of help has been phenomenal - this is my personal experience.

One interesting perk to UMDNJ GSBS Newark is your ability to get published. I mentioned above that you have a mandatory 2-credit 'research rotation'. You do a minimum of 40 hours of research in a lab that you choose (email a lab head and ask to rotate in it). Most people end up doing much more than 40 hours, and performing meaningful research that leads to abstracts, posters, and papers.

Regarding who you take courses with, there might be the rare course open to both masters and PhD students, but (besides class you opt to take at the Medical or Dental Schools) are all with masters students

Hope this helps

Thanks a lot for your insight! I appreciate it! How was the MGM class with the med students? How is the class graded? Were you one of the few that got to take courses with the med students or is this class always with med students? Are you taking a one year program or stretching it to 3 semesters if you don't mind me asking? and Lastly, how would you rate your time at UMDNJ? Would you recommend it?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, you seem to be a lot of help in this thread so I thought I'd ask more! Thanks again for any help!:D

does everythign apply to RWJ also? or are the programs at teach location different?

Thanks a lot for your insight! I appreciate it! How was the MGM class with the med students? How is the class graded? Were you one of the few that got to take courses with the med students or is this class always with med students? Are you taking a one year program or stretching it to 3 semesters if you don't mind me asking? and Lastly, how would you rate your time at UMDNJ? Would you recommend it?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, you seem to be a lot of help in this thread so I thought I'd ask more! Thanks again for any help!:D

These questions have me thinking - I think i'll make a post in the forum called "UMDNJ GSBS FAQ" at some point. No time for that now. To briefly answer your questions:
MGM was *a lot* of material, but hey that's med school. I think the total class average must have been like around an 86%. 80 to 90 is high pass, 90 and above is honor. So, at least 30 percent of the class honored. The masters students, unlike the med students, take the class under incredible pressure to perform. For this reason, the percentage of masters students that 'honor' is always much higher. At least half, maybe up to 2/3 of the masters students I knew in the class received honors.

They allowed 20 masters students to take the MGM class. This was based on entering GPA, recent GPA, and strongly on MCAT. 20 is a sizable amount, especially when you consider that only a fraction of the students in the masters program are interested in medicine (as compared to people pursuing dentistry or industry), and of those students only a fraction expressed desire to take the class by emailing the program directors. Those who were not selected to take the med school course in the fall were reconsidered for spring Physiology with the med school students based on grad school performance in semester 1.

It is very easy to complete the program in a year and most people I know are doing so. I am concurrently doing a lot of other stuff to enhance my application so I am doing it in three semesters. If you have really poor grades entering the program (as I did), the benefit of the three semester option is that you can apply after one year of grades (hopefully a 4.0) are in, and still have further class for update letters, etc. throughout your app.

This program was perfect for me because I feel I am an oustanding candidate in every aspect except for grades. This is a program where it is very possible to earn a 4.0 and that is what I needed. As other people have pointed out, the program is not a guaranteed 'in' to NJMS. FWIW: Two out of the three NJ-resident grad students I know who had applied last summer and honored MGM in the fall were accepted, the third has stated she lacks in clinical experience. Continuing with why this program is not a guaranteed in, many many people have at least a 3.7 GPA in the program. For that reason, you need to find other ways to stand out if you are going to be accepted by NJMS. The research opportunities are very easy to come by in this program - so I'm trying to get a few publications out to stand out, for instance. In conclusion, I would recommend it to people who were in my situation. Not everyone's situation is the same, and if you're looking for a program that is more high-stakes (course difficulty) high-cost (financial) high-reward (program reputation, acceptance guarantees) I would check out Gtown BU Tufts etc.

Hope this helps.

does everythign apply to RWJ also? or are the programs at teach location different?

UMDNJ has three campuses that are completely different entities. The New Brunswick GSBS runs a different program that started last year. The Stratford GSBS, on the campus of the Osteopathic Med School, runs another well established program

Got my acceptance letter today.

Stats: 33R mcat , 3.1/3.0 science/overall

A quick question:

1) is there a chance for NJ residency after completing the 1 year program?

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted. Best of luck to others.

Hey there- not sure if this forum is still being checked by anyone, but just putting it out there:

I've been accepted as a masters student in the GSBS Newark Campus. Has anyone else heard back? I'd love to start networking.

Hey, is anyone else attending Stratford? I'm going to start applying for apartments, and if anyone is looking to share a 2 bedroom apt, let me know!

I may be attending Stratford (was accepted). Waiting to hear from other programs first though!

I got accepted (I think).

So I got a letter that says I'm accepted to the Newark campus. But the thing is they have my name and address right, but they're requesting a final transcript from the University of Maryland and Bergen CC, which is weird cause I graduated from Rutgers. I hope this is just a mistake. In any case if I did really get in my stats are:

3.48 GPA
26P

WUbear, quick question

were you notified by the deans if you were able to enroll in the med school classes, or was it based on a first come first serve basis?

even though i'm pre-dent, i'm assuming that it works the same way?

WUbear, quick question

were you notified by the deans if you were able to enroll in the med school classes, or was it based on a first come first serve basis?

even though i'm pre-dent, i'm assuming that it works the same way?

It's not first come first serve, it's by selection. You increase your chances, I'm sure, by demonstrating interest, so I'd email Dr. Tsogby (spelling incorrect). I imagine you need a DAT score, and the more competitive it is the better your chances of being selected

Hi!

Anyone know about housing for UMDNJ at Newark? Which are the best and relatively priced areas close to the campus? I know that 180 West Market is a great place but I just called them and they said they have only limited spaces left as roommates, no singles left. So I might be late getting a spot in there. So any advice or recommendations as to which places/neighborhoods are the best would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Hey guys, just checking if anyone is still looking at this thread. I finished my application just recently (and unfortunaterly so close to the deadline) for piscatawy GSBS and am hoping to hear back over the next couple months. Anyone else apply and hear back yet from this campus? Let me know if you plan on going there because I would love to start networking now.

how long the personal statement supposed to be?!!

i didnt know where to post, so i posted somewhere else as well. sorry guys. but i posted

"This is my first post guys. I got accepted to UMDNJ-GSBS for fall 2011. I am a predent student who also did postbacc at Hofstra. I would like to finish the program in 1 year, 1 summer, and transfer the rest of the remaining credits from dental school if I get accepted. I heard this was possible (saw this in another thread)? 10 credits in the fall, 11 in the spring, 3 in the summer (i heard virology is offered), and transfer the remaining 6 credits from dental school.

In this case, what are some classes recommended for a first yr, first semester student? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks"

stats are:
undergrad cumulative gpa: 2.7
post-bacc prehealth gpa: 3.98
DAT: 20TS//20AA

how long the personal statement supposed to be?!!

I think mine was about a page long. I just spoke about my interest in medicine, and how this program was going to help me achieve my future goals.

I think mine was about a page long. I just spoke about my interest in medicine, and how this program was going to help me achieve my future goals.

I mailed my application yesterday. Is it too late?

I mailed my application yesterday. Is it too late?

If it's for the Piscataway campus, then yes. However, Newark has a June 1st deadline I believe, and Stratford has a July 1st. So, if you sent it for Newark and Stratford, you should be in a good shape!

i didnt know where to post, so i posted somewhere else as well. sorry guys. but i posted

"This is my first post guys. I got accepted to UMDNJ-GSBS for fall 2011. I am a predent student who also did postbacc at Hofstra. I would like to finish the program in 1 year, 1 summer, and transfer the rest of the remaining credits from dental school if I get accepted. I heard this was possible (saw this in another thread)? 10 credits in the fall, 11 in the spring, 3 in the summer (i heard virology is offered), and transfer the remaining 6 credits from dental school.

In this case, what are some classes recommended for a first yr, first semester student? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks"

stats are:
undergrad cumulative gpa: 2.7
post-bacc prehealth gpa: 3.98
DAT: 20TS//20AA

Since you said you were predent, heres an review on the dental courses from someone else on this forum (which is pretty much spot on).

I have had the chance to take Dental Physio, Dental Biochem and Oral Immuno while finishing the masters program. Out of all 3, I'd say that dental physio is the hardest course but I hated Immuno the most. I'll give a breakdown of what to expect for each class and my thoughts on each one
--------------------

Dental Physio:
I took this class by itself this fall to finish up my masters program. It is a 5 credit course. It meets 4 times a week from 1 to 3pm. There is a 55 minute exam with 30 questions every two weeks covering 6 topics. At the end you have a cumulative final covering all the material. It is a 60 question, 2 hour exam. Thankfully, the final counts the same as all the other exams so if you have a nice buffer going into the final, doing a little poorer on the final won't affect your outcome all that much. There is also an optional extra credit exam that can add a total of approximately 2 points to your final grade so that can definitely help you out if you're on the border.
As for overall thoughts on the class, as I mentioned, it's definitely one of the toughest classes I've ever taken. I got my acceptance like a week before the final so I didn't study as much as I probably should have haha. Regardless, everyone will agree with me when I say it's a hard ass final. Mostly because it covers so much material and the questions are not general. They're very specific so you really need to know your **** cold to do well. Is it impossible to get an A? Not by any means. Each lecture material is taught by a different professor for the most part. There are some professors whose material is better taught than others and it is very possible to get a 100 on an exam. Other material (GI for instance) is really nitty gritty and it sucks and the exam questions are super specific and hard to figure out. For example, an example of a GI question you might be asked would be phrased in this manner:

statement A: bla bla blaaa
statement B: gobbledy gook
A. A & B are true
B. A is true but B is false
C. B is true but A is false
D. A & B are both false
... etc. you get the point

GI exam is notoriously hard but it's still possible to do decent on it. The other exams though aren't nearly as bad. Because there is an exam every two weeks, you really need to stay on top of the material. Fall behind and you're screwed. I can't imagine how much it would suck to take physio along with the rest of the first semester dental curriculum. I'm glad I got it out of the way hahaha

----------------

Dental Biochem:
Dental Biochem is a 4 credit class. It is also taught by multiple professors. I kind of enjoy biochem so I didn't think this was a particularly difficult course. It's all just cycles and different cell processes. I would just go to the library, get a room with a dry erase board and just draw cycles over and over again til they were ingrained in my head. I believe there were 3 exams and a cumulative final. I took the course last year so I'm not 100% on the number of exams. The cumulative final for this course comparatively speaking is muuuch easier than the physio final. I walked out of the biochem final in like 45 minutes feeling very confident. The questions were very general and just tested you on whether or not you knew the basic material. Oh yea, your lowest grade gets dropped (not the final obviously haha) As for the professors , there were one or two I wasn't particularly fond of because I don't think they explained it in the easiest way possible but for the most part, they were all pretty decent.

Oh one thing I wanted to mention if you guys are in the masters program and are interested in taking this course. The course director, Dr. Kumar, is on the admissions board. If you choose to take it, make sure you kick ass. I did really well on the first exam and went to his office hours to "go over the exam" (really it was just a way to get my foot in the door haha) After we finished reviewing, I asked him if he would consider writing me a letter. He told me that he'd wait to see how I fared with the rest of the course, and then pending me doing well, he'd call me in for an informal interview and then decide whether to write me a letter or not. I busted my ass to do well in the course and had him write me a letter. How much good it did in terms of helping me get in I will never know but I'm sure it definitely helped. So that's something for you to take into consideration

One great thing about these two dental courses (or bad thing depending on how you look at it) the grades are posted up right after the exam is finished. So you can figure out as soon as you step out of the exam whether you need to step your game up or that you're doing something right. It's sort of like the DATs in that sense I guess...

----------------

Oral Immunology
This is a 3 credit course in the masters program. I was not a fan of this class. I don't think it is taught very well. It's taught by Dr. Tsiagbe. He started teaching the course 2 years ago (so this spring will be his 3rd time teaching the course) He's gotten a lot better from what I've heard but I was still not a fan of his teaching style. I found his accent very hard to understand even when I sat up in the front. His notes are okay, I went to the textbook most of the time to clarify things I didn't understand in the class. I forget how many exams were in the class but there's no cumulative final for the course. The course initially was 2 credits but people bitched that it was a lot of work for only 2 credits so he changed it to 3 credits and extended the course an extra 2 or 3 weeks. In those 2-3 weeks, you learn about research principles. You have a sort of group project and an exam on the research principles at the end of the course. Those last 2-3 weeks, you will only take the course with other masters students. The dental students will not be attending the lectures on research principles, etc. Dr. Tsiagbe teaches most of the class but there are 2 or 3 guest lecturers. As for the exams, I thought many of them were poorly phrased. During reviews, he never seemed to explain the answers thoroughly. He would just read the question, state the answer and move on like we were supposed to know it no problem. That kind of irked me as he provided no real explanation for the answer. All in all, this was my least liked course.

On a side note, Oral Immuno is the only course you can sign up for on your own. Dental Physio and Dent Biochem are both courses that you need to place into. As for what qualifies you to take the course, it's mostly based on your performance in the program. My first semester in the program, I had decent DAT scores but my GPA was **** so I didn't place into Dent Physio. I considered taking Oral Micro (the other class offered that you don't need to place into) but the advisers at the masters program scared the hell out of me. They told me it was too difficult a course and that I should ease my way into the program and to not overload my schedule and diminish my chances even more of getting into dental school. I listened to their advice and dropped the course and took something else instead. Which actually worked out for the best, because I did really well my first semester and it gave me the confidence to finish off strong with the program.

----------------

As for whether to complete the program in a year or 2 years, there are a couple routes you can take:

Option 1: you can take 15 credits in the fall, and 15 in the spring (if you're doing the non-thesis route, 2 of those 30 credits should be 60 hours of research)
I'm not a big fan of this option as it's jam packing too many courses into a semester. If you guys are/were in my boat, the masters program was my last ditch effort in helping me get into Dental school. I didn't wanna **** up my chances by taking more than I could handle.

Option 2: You can take 12 credits in the fall and 13 credits in the spring. That leaves you with 5 credits left. 2 of those credits = research. The final 3 credits you can finish off in the summer. There is one course offered in the "summer" It's a virology course offered in June I believe and runs for 3 or 4 weeks. This option will allow you to complete the program in a year

Option 3: Finish the program in a year and half. This is the option I went with. I initially considered going with Option 2 but umdnj was my #1 choice. The school however, refuses to consider someone's application with only a half a year of grades. They want to see a full year of grades before they look at your file. Taking that into consideration, there was no benefit to finishing in a year. Instead, I decided to just go the year and half route as that allowed me to take Dental Physio in the fall. I talked to admissions about my schedule and they asked me why I was taking dental physio if my grade for the course would probably not be considered. I told them that worst case scenario, it prepares me for what to expect in dental school and best case scenario, I do well and and I don't have to take it once I get in. I think that answer pleased them haha. So anyways, those are your three options

I think I covered everything regarding the program. If you guys look at my predent profile, you can clearly see that my undergrad stats are well below average. I had to climb a hell of a mountain to get to where I am now. SDN is full of gunners whose stats are phenomenal and over the top. That's the main reason, why I put up my profile at predents; for those who are reading the threads thinking that dental school is not within their reach. I hope this gives you some hope and you fight for what you want. The masters program was definitely pivotal in helping me get into dental school and if you guys decide to join the program I wish you the best of luck. Just remember to make the most of the situation. It's a clean slate and you can write your future whichever way you want. Future's in your hands :) :thumbup:

I learned more from Dental Physiology than from any other class in the program. That's mostly because there was a lot of stuff that was covered... but also because it focuses more on critical thinking and integration of multiple topics than just rote memmorization. You have to truely know the topic to get an A in the course.... which is very doable if you put in the time. The class meets 2 hours a day 4 times a week. It starts 1 week earlier than masters courses and ends 1 week after most masters courses and theres 7 exams total, one every two weeks so theres some room for error. The stuff you learn in the course also overlaps with a lot of the other electives and it'll make those courses a lot easier. I believe 0 people got an A two years ago and around 2 people got an A last year.

Fundamentals I is a biochem course that almost everyone in the program takes. If you dont take a medical or dental course you will be taking fundamentals I. I think its curved according to how the class performs and most of the people I know got an A in the course.

Take physiology only if you really have confidence in your abilities to do well in the program. If go in with the mentality that this is your last opportunity to get into dental school and you are willing to put in the time, it is very possible to get an A in Dental Physiology and that will look pretty good on your transcript (or so I've been told...not sure yet if it was worth it to take on the dental school courses). If you want the safe route, definately go Fundamentals I. Even a B+ in the 5 credit Dental Physiology course really hurts your gpa...

As for electives, look at biological terrorism and weapons of mass destruction, oral microbiology, fundamentals of pharmacology, principles of toxicology, cellular pathology (VERY tough course), and basic histology. those are classes the majority of the people in the program end up taking and theyre all not too difficult with the exception of cellular pathology. For the seminar, you probably should take the dental seminar since youre going dental.

Last edited:
I just mailed in my application.
I have a 34S mcat score and 3.4 gpa from a top 12 school, with plenty of research throughout.

Is it too late for me to hear back aka are most spots filled yet?

Hey guys!
I just got accepted into the Newark program and was hoping to touch base with some of you that will be going there as well. I'm moving from Texas, and it would be cool to "know" some people before I get up there!

Decided to do this program to help with my chances for dental school. Applied for housing at 180 W. I already got my housing assignment, and can verify that they definitely only have 3 bedrooms left. Sucks because the odds of getting 1, much less 2, good roomies is not great! But rather than try to find other housing from down here, I just decided to go with it.

dental 815, thanks for posting that older post. Pretty insightful.

Hey guys!
I just got accepted into the Newark program and was hoping to touch base with some of you that will be going there as well. I'm moving from Texas, and it would be cool to "know" some people before I get up there!

Decided to do this program to help with my chances for dental school. Applied for housing at 180 W. I already got my housing assignment, and can verify that they definitely only have 3 bedrooms left. Sucks because the odds of getting 1, much less 2, good roomies is not great! But rather than try to find other housing from down here, I just decided to go with it.

dental 815, thanks for posting that older post. Pretty insightful.

Congratulations are getting in.

When did you apply for housing at 180 W Market?

Also, the reason they might only have 3 bedrooms left is because students who are completing the program have not graduated yet and will probably not move out until mid-May or at least the end of this month.

I applied for the studios and 1 bedroom...hopefully I get either of them.

Congratulations are getting in.

When did you apply for housing at 180 W Market?

Also, the reason they might only have 3 bedrooms left is because students who are completing the program have not graduated yet and will probably not move out until mid-May or at least the end of this month.

I applied for the studios and 1 bedroom...hopefully I get either of them.

I applied last week. I also put in for a studio and 1 bedroom, but was told they have about 50 beds available in only 3 bdrms. I just called yesterday to verify that they got all my stuff and was surprised when she gave me my room assignment. I haven't gotten an official email giving me the room assignment, but when I do, she told me I could reply and get on the waiting list for a single. But right now, the list is about 20 some deep. As far as rooms opening up after mid may, I think they might have allocated for that and preassigned those rooms, but I'm all for hoping they open up since I won't be moving in until Aug anyway!

I applied last week. I also put in for a studio and 1 bedroom, but was told they have about 50 beds available in only 3 bdrms. I just called yesterday to verify that they got all my stuff and was surprised when she gave me my room assignment. I haven't gotten an official email giving me the room assignment, but when I do, she told me I could reply and get on the waiting list for a single. But right now, the list is about 20 some deep. As far as rooms opening up after mid may, I think they might have allocated for that and preassigned those rooms, but I'm all for hoping they open up since I won't be moving in until Aug anyway!

Everyone who wanted an apartment in 180 got in last year... there's really no need to worry.

Does anyone know how long it takes for you to hear back from GSBS newark/ GSBS stratford? I am cutting it close to the deadline, probably going to apply around may 15th.

I kinda just decided to do a masters, so thats why i am late. I am hoping some seats are still available so i can get in :xf:

thanks!

got accepted in a week after everything was handed in. good luck with everything

Hey! Just wondering if anyone has started looking for apartments for Stratford. If anyone wants to try and room together, PM me or let me know and we can start the process!

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

I got an email saying my application was complete on 13 April, and my acceptance letter was dated 25 April.

So I pretty much decided to attend UMDNJ GSBS MBS - Newark and finished all the paperwork. I noticed that there isn't a Facebook group yet. Anyone care to start one? :D

Anyone started to look for housing other than 180 Market in Newark? If so, where are the best places closest to the school as I am from the west coast and have never been to NJ before.

Anyone know people who are moving out that needs someone to take over a least, etc? I probably won't get a lot of chances to go over there before August so I've been looking up places online near the school...

Hello! I just got accepted into the RWJ MBS program and I was wondering if anyone had gone through it before? Was it a positive experience and do you feel that it helped? Any comments/tips/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! :]

hi fidusangelus do you mind sharing when your app was complete for RWJ and how they notified you? I sent in my app pretty close to the deadline and I don't even know if I was completed because they took off their website (I tried emailing them and got no response :\) Thanks!

hi fidusangelus do you mind sharing when your app was complete for RWJ and how they notified you? I sent in my app pretty close to the deadline and I don't even know if I was completed because they took off their website (I tried emailing them and got no response :\) Thanks!

Sure! I sent in my application on April 21st and my recommendations/transcripts were sent in about 1-2 weeks afterward. They never told me if my application was complete, but they emailed me today to tell me that I'd been accepted and will be snail mailing me a hard copy soon. I have until May 21 to make a decision, but I haven't heard back from any other places yet, so I'm thinking of just putting in the deposit ($100) for the time being. Hope this helps and I hope you hear from them soon!