***Official Acceptance Thread for University at Buffalo C/O 2015***

Hello future classmates/ dental family!!!!! Go Bulls!!!:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
In!
Talking to Dr. Brown was a great way to start off the morning!

I am not sure about that yet. I will wait a week before making any rational decisions :). Will you be guys be attending?

I'm in, too.

See you guys next August.

having a really hard timing choosing between Buff and Stony!

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me know what you decide
I am debating between Columbia and Buffalo and Stony haha

haha let me know as well...I might possibly have Penn vs. Buff vs. Stony...PM when you do decide or find out something that turns you away or towards one of those state schools! I'll do the same

I'm in too!! Now it's Buffalo vs. Stony vs. UMDNJ. SOOO HARD!! >.< Will hear back from NYU tomorrow by snail mail...

Hey congrats guys!! Im in too :D was also accepted at Boston and Michigan waiting for NYU. what is your guys' honest opinion of Michigan? what about NYU? I know its more expensive but they have soo much technology. will this factor into how good of a clinician you become? also they had 100% pass rate on the boards. Anyway Buffalo made a great impression on me and I hope to see you guys soon.

btw, Valligator..are you as hardcore as your avatar?

I am in too!!

How does this NY residence thing works? Anyone know the detail?

so happy!!

I am in too!!

so happy!!

theyll prob make you submit a W2 either yours or your parents to prove residency. Not 100% sure

Im pretty sure they told us at the interview that after 1 year you can pay instate....it's better to call and confirm however, as this is all hearsay:idea:

Hey guys, im in also! :cool:
I really liked that they called AND the thank you e-mail after the interview was also very polite. My other schools didnt do this :(. I got into Tuffs awaiting Columbia and Temple and most likely not interviewing with any other place. Im 95% sure about Buff just waiting for the week to end to make a rational decision as well.

I am a NY resident. However, from speaking to out-of-state students, you should to apply after your first year living in NY. I hear its one of the easiest states to obtain residency so yay for you!! :)
Best way is to check the state's website ;)

I'm in too!! Soooo happy, I got accepted at USC also but will be attending Buffalo for sure. Looking forward to meeting you guys!! :)

congrats minotaur! i remember your waitlist experience last cycle and how bad you wanted to get in. nice job :thumbup:

congrats minotaur! i remember your waitlist experience last cycle and how bad you wanted to get in. nice job :thumbup:

uuugghhh....lol, thank you, yes, I've been working on getting into Buffalo for 2 years and 3 months. I really did think I was going to get in off of the waitlist last year, but life goes on, gotta look at the positive. Still sinking in that I'm accepted ;)

Good luck to you this cycle Erhatstil! Let us know what happens.

Does Buffalo have a summer research opportunity similar to NYU's summer research experience with deans award for dental students? where can i find this information for buffalo?
thanks

I am in too!!

so happy!!

You get residency after 12 months of renting or owning property, along with switching your car registration and driver license.

As far as living in the dorms, I remember reading somewhere that some of the dorms qualified you for residency, and some didn't, but I can't find the page again.

Anyhoo, I look forward to the next 4 years!

http://www.suny.edu/student/paying_residence.cfm

Hey everyone, I got accepted as well!

Hi everyone! Congratulations on your acceptances! I'm curious to know how you all received notification. I see there have been phone calls and AADSAS updates, but have actual materials come in the mail? I interviewed before dec 1 and live in the NYC area but have received no update.

sweet. just withdrew from every other school, heading to Buff next year.

I got accepted but I haven't receive a phone call. Would this be a problem?

Hey congrats guys!! Im in too :D was also accepted at Boston and Michigan waiting for NYU. what is your guys' honest opinion of Michigan? what about NYU? I know its more expensive but they have soo much technology. will this factor into how good of a clinician you become? also they had 100% pass rate on the boards. Anyway Buffalo made a great impression on me and I hope to see you guys soon.

btw, Valligator..are you as hardcore as your avatar?

Hahaa...absolutely not. I am looking forward to this journey. I can answer your guys' questions about Buffalo (if you have any). Just "pm" me. Someone should make a facebook group soon!!! If you do, name it "University of Buffalo School of Dental Medicine Class of 2015." I don't feel like doing it lol. :laugh:

Hey new classmates! I'm just about to submit my deposit to Buffalo. I'm choosing Buffalo over Stony Brook and Columbia, just withdrew Stony Brook but am waiting on Columbia. I'd say Buffalo > Columbia > Stony Brook if you're thinking (not planning) to specialize. If I HAD to specialize, I'd go to Columbia.

Hey new classmates! I'm just about to submit my deposit to Buffalo. I'm choosing Buffalo over Stony Brook and Columbia, just withdrew Stony Brook but am waiting on Columbia. I'd say Buffalo > Columbia > Stony Brook if you're thinking (not planning) to specialize. If I HAD to specialize, I'd go to Columbia.

Hi what makes you say that about the ability to specialize?

Has anybody called Buffalo to ask about establishing residency despite the SUNY website specifically stating you cannot establish residency if you are living in New York primarily to attend college?

Hi what makes you say that about the ability to specialize?

Columbia has the name and p/f grading that makes it prime for specializing. They have amazing specialty rates in Ortho and Oral Surgery and it's arguably the 2nd best school you can go to if you want to specialize besides Harvard and is much better than Penn, which had fairly low specialization rates.

Has anybody called Buffalo to ask about establishing residency despite the SUNY website specifically stating you cannot establish residency if you are living in New York primarily to attend college?

Ah...I knew I read this thing somewhere:

"You will be considered a New York State resident and be charged in-state tuition rates when you have been determined to have had a New York State domicile (e.g. a permanent and principal home in New York State) for a twelve-month period prior to the start of the semester. Living in college residence halls is considered "temporary" housing for the purpose of attending school and does not count toward establishing residency in New York State. However, leased apartments (e.g. Creekside Village, Hadley Village, South Lake Village, Flint Village and Flickinger Court) on university property are acceptable. Persons who do not meet this requirement will be presumed to be out-of-state residents, and should be charged out-of-state tuition rates unless satisfactory proof is presented to show that domicile in New York State has, in fact, been established, notwithstanding the durational requirement."

http://studentaccounts.buffalo.edu/policies/residency.php

Anyone know where I can find the specializing rates/placements for Buffalo?
Thanks

Anyone know where I can find the specializing rates/placements for Buffalo?
Thanks

I stumbled upon this website. If you click on the Summer issues, and scroll down through the magazine, you can figure out how many new graduates specialize. You will have to count them manually to get the right estimate. I hope this helps.

http://ubdentalalumni.com/newsletter.php

Why Buffalo over Stony if you are thinking to specialize? What is your reason for this exactly?

Everyone Join the Facebook group UB Dental School Class of 2015

You should have named the group: "University of Buffalo School of Dental Medicine Class of 2015."

The previous years' have named the group the same way, they just change the year of graduation. I mentioned this earlier.

...The tone of my previous message might be misinterpreted. I didn't mean to be a "deuche" by posting that. :)

That's interesting. I would have ranked Buffalo well after Stony Brook.

Stony Brook offers a smaller class size and strong didactic program. Its undergrad pre-med program is among the most challenging in the nation and the dental school seems to take to that didactic heavy philosophy. A glance at the admissions statistics may also reflect a much more competitive entering class than at Buffalo. I do not believe Stony Brook is at all inferior to Columbia in competitive residency placement. If anything, I've only heard great things about Stony Brook.

I've heard great things about it. The presentation they gave on the interview day was very thorough. The school is very organized and the students are well prepared for the "real world". I know the location is far from ideal, but the school itself is def topnotch (new is usually better). Since I'm a ny resident, I'll most likely go for SB or Buffalo