NCSU cvm c/o 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paris2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Just thought I would start a thread for all the wolfpackers out there! I am IS and this will be my second year applying...trying to stay positive....the wait is already killing me!!:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I am a freshman right now but I just wanted to say good luck!! I live in NC and will be transfering to NCSU my Junior year. I LOVE the NCSU CVM. You will find out if you were accepted in March right? I know a couple people there in the C/O 2014. Good luck again!! :xf:
Amber

Thanks!...and yes unfortunately we have to wait until March :(. You are going to LOVE NCSU!....its a great school.

Members don't see this ad :)
no :oops:....kinda starting to regret that!...I just really dont want to pay out of state tuition or leave my friends and family! So i have all my eggs in one basket :D

Another person here who applied to NC State! I am in IS as well :) Good luck to everyone applying! Waiting until March is going to kill me!

Another applicant here. OOS though. Really like NC, both where NCSU is and the mountains in the west where I did my first wildlife rehab job. The tuition certainly doesn't hurt either. Long wait for a response though, unfortunate

Good luck everyone! Very jealous you even got to this part they disqualified me in October! I'm doing my masters here, and I pretty much can't drive by the school without breaking down but it is what it is and I'm very glad I don't have to pass it too many times. I'm also OOS.

Hey everyone, OOS here!
I see that everyone keeps saying that we will only know in March? I know a couple of OOS in the class of 2014 that found out at the end of January/Early February...have they said that they changed things up this year?

They notify OOS at the end of January and IS in March

Hey everyone, OOS here!
I see that everyone keeps saying that we will only know in March? I know a couple of OOS in the class of 2014 that found out at the end of January/Early February...have they said that they changed things up this year?

I called the admissions office today to find out where to send my fall transcript and was told that OOS letters were going in the mail today. I guess they did change things up like you said. The woman told me that the letters were going to permanent addresses.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow!..well goodluck all you OOSer's!!!.....maybe they will have IS done early too:D

I called the admissions office today to find out where to send my fall transcript and was told that OOS letters were going in the mail today. I guess they did change things up like you said. The woman told me that the letters were going to permanent addresses.

Wow, I actually felt a little sick reading this... I was feeling happy I didn't have to worry about anymore decisions until after the holiday but I guess I was wrong! Thanks for the info though!

Wow, so soon? Good luck OOSers!

Good luck OOSers. I think they have said that the IS applicants won't hear until possibly April 1st this year, so we still have over 4 long months to wait!

BuggerDoodle.....I also saw where someone posted about not hearing until April 1st....it states mid-march on their website....am i missing something??

They mentioned it at the information session I went to and I believe it was on the supplemental application. I know last year people kept calling their office around March 15th to find out what was going on and I think they're trying to avoid that this year.

Good luck to all of you as you wait to hear! I'm an OOS student in her first year, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

So I guess we should be getting letters today or in the next day or two.... so nervous!

I really dont want dont depress or falsely excite NC applicants but my friend got a call today for acceptance for the class of 2015 and we have been jumping for joy. :D:D But yea I just wanted to let you guys know to watch your phones also.....:xf::xf::xf::xf:

I'm in the class of 2013, and there are a couple others of us on here! Looking forward to meeting our incoming class! Best wishes to everyone!

A friend of mine also received an admissions phone call yesterday. He's a student from Puerto Rico (not like that matters I guess....just fyi).

Oh and good luck to those waiting!

A friend of mine also received an admissions phone call yesterday. He's a student from Puerto Rico (not like that matters I guess....just fyi).

Oh and good luck to those waiting!
I know just who your talking about we did a summer program together in @ MSU CVM wheh he came to the states but he truly deserves it !!!!:smuggrin:

Hi everyone,
I am a non-resident applicant and received my acceptance letter on Thursday 12/23. I am really excited about going to school at NCSU!

To any current NCSU vet students:
Does anyone have comments on applying for re-classification as a resident? For some schools, it's supposed to be really easy for OOS students to become residents for tuition purposes. Is this true for NCSU, too? From past threads, it seems I can be hopeful, but I was wondering if there have been any changes.

What do you like/dislike about the school?

Any housing recommendations (best neighborhoods, areas to avoid, etc.)? Does the college provide assistance in finding a roommate? I would like to be able to move to Raleigh early in the summer so I am trying to make plans!

Thanks!

Congrats on your acceptance! bet that was a wonderful christmas present!!

Congrats to everyone getting their acceptances! I am a student in the Class of 2013, though I'm afraid I don't post much anymore.

ChloeandTegan:

I am an in state student so I can't comment much on applying for resident status. I know some people that have done it, so it is possible for people in my class, but I don't know if any rules have changed. Student Services would be a great place to contact with those questions.

Once the class is finalized there will be an email listserv so that you can contact people in your class. I am pretty sure they also send out a list of housing recommendations by past students and some emails from people that currently have rooms for rent in their homes/apartments. I am a bit fuzzy on the details there too since I have lived in Raleigh for 5 years and already had housing at the time. If you have any questions about specific complexes or things in the area though feel free to PM me and I will answer to the best of my ability. If you like I can also tell you which general areas I prefer to avoid and the big name leasing company that deals primarily with undergrads (a company many Vet/Grad students might prefer to avoid depending on what they are looking for, but whose name I'm not going to broadcast publically). A lot of that process is based on what you want though. House vs. Apartment, Desired number of roommates, pets, etc.

I like NCSU a lot, but I went to undergrad at NCSU as well so I'm a bit biased. As with any school there is room for improvement, but overall I'm quite thoroughly pleased with the education I am receiving and the opportunities I get to explore my interest area (Small Exotics).

Well, guess the OOS SDNers didn't get a great NCSU response this year, though maybe more will come out after the holidays. Waitlisted here, which was disappointing, but such is life. Congrats ChloeAndTegan, hopefully some of the other applicants got some good news for Christmas too

Thanks everyone! And, thanks PythonChick for your input. I will be messaging you soon about housing!

Applying for instate tuition is possible, I'm assuming it is the same as for the graduate programs. You have to change your permanent address, insurance, liscence, ect. ect. within a year I think you will be able to apply for instate tuition, there is an application that is tedious (don't say you moved there for school blah blah)... I don't remember much right now it was a while since I went to orientation for my graduate program. I'm not in my apartment either, where all my papers are located, so if you wanted some more information it would have to be later in the week.

Hi everyone!

I'm OOS and received my acceptance on Christmas eve. Needless to say it was the best Christmas present ever, because I really thought I had no shot at getting in here because of the small number of OOS students accepted.

I've been researching the school all weekend (stuck inside due to a blizzard!) and I have fallen in love and it is definitely high up on my list. I'm still waiting to hear back from my IS school, but I can say even if I get in there I still may consider NCSU.

I appreciate everyone's info as I love learning more so anymore input people have would be great!

Also good luck to all the IS applicants that still have to wait it out!

I know just who your talking about we did a summer program together in @ MSU CVM wheh he came to the states but he truly deserves it !!!!:smuggrin:

Yeah, I was in that program too. That's where I met him.

I got my acceptance letter yesterday!!! I can't believe it! I am so excited!!! Still in disbelief today!

Still waiting to hear from a few other schools like my IS but NC is definitely at the very very top of my list!

Congrats!!!!!.....was the admission letter in a small envelope or big one?

A small regular old envelope... so I thought it was bad news and was so happy that I was wrong! I'm OOS by the way!

Anyone have any news???....I can't help to obsess over the fact that they notified OOSers so early and wondering if they will do IS early too..:confused:

:thumbup:
Anyone have any news???....I can't help to obsess over the fact that they notified OOSers so early and wondering if they will do IS early too..:confused:

More than likely, you won't hear back from them before late Feb. - early March. At least, that's how it's been my last 2 application cycles with them. Unfortunately, the wait is sorta brutal. Good luck and hang in there!

Hey, so I'm OOS and I got in to NCSU for the c/o 2015! Needless to say, I'm pretty excited. However, I'm from Texas, so I haven't actually visited campus yet. NCSU seems so awesome, but I want to visit and also get a better feel for the sense of community at the CVM before I make my final decision. I'm making arrangements to visit the school soon, but obviously the more information I can find out about, the better! So, to the current students and those that have visited, what were your impressions of the relationships between the students and the professors? And among the students themselves?

Also, if there are any other out of staters who have successfully applied for and gotten residency, please share info about that. Would it help that I have husband who will be employed full time in Raleigh?

I'm not a vet student at NCSU (still in undergrad here), so I can't really vouch for the community in the veterinary areas, but I can forward you one tip: if you haven't already booked hotels for your trip, these guest rooms are about the same as a budget hotel, and are only thirty bucks a night. :) They're not as close to the vet school as some, though still bus-accessible if you're traveling that way.

I know I have a couple OOS friends in undergrad who have become in-state students here and that it's really common among the vet students, but I'm IS originally so can't shine any light on the specifics.

Hey, so I'm OOS and I got in to NCSU for the c/o 2015! Needless to say, I'm pretty excited. However, I'm from Texas, so I haven't actually visited campus yet. NCSU seems so awesome, but I want to visit and also get a better feel for the sense of community at the CVM before I make my final decision. I'm making arrangements to visit the school soon, but obviously the more information I can find out about, the better! So, to the current students and those that have visited, what were your impressions of the relationships between the students and the professors? And among the students themselves?

Also, if there are any other out of staters who have successfully applied for and gotten residency, please share info about that. Would it help that I have husband who will be employed full time in Raleigh?

Congrats!!! You should definitely be excited because NCSU and the Raleigh area are absolutely great, and very OOS friendly. I moved here in July from PA, and am super-happy here.

From my first semester of classes and also spending two weeks observing clinical interactions between faculty and students, we have it great. Overall, the teaching here is strong, and there is a great family atmosphere. Professors want you to do well, to learn, and to get everything you want out of your time here. Our anatomy professors came in on their own time to the lab on Sundays to help before exams. I was able to shadow in the onco and neuro departments over break with just a single e-mail beforehand. Extra help is available when you need it. There is always laughter during lectures at some point in time. I'm very impressed with the quality of the instruction as well as the kindness and support of our teachers.

The Triangle area isn't bad either! I'm definitely NOT a city person at ALL, but it's not too overwhelming. The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area is really a bunch of towns and suburbs strung together, so you'll never lack anything you could want. Cost of living is decent, lots of places to choose from, and it's easy to feel comfortable here in a short time.

As far as residency goes, nearly everyone in the second year has had success. The few that haven't did not follow specific, simple instructions (i.e. worked at home over the summer, had a parent pay tuition/buy them a house). We've also gotten no indication from the legal counsel for students that this year should be any different. The requirements are pretty simple - be here for a solid year (July to July), work here for the summer, don't leave the state for more than a week during this year, vote, register your car, and pay taxes. And that's pretty much it! Having family ties here can only help your application. My boyfriend's entire extended family lives down here and he's applying to graduate school here next year - I'll definitely be listing those on my app.

If you have any other questions, please ask. And if you'd like a student to show you around or sit down to chat while you're here, just drop me a line!

NittanyKitty, you are so awesome. NCSU is definitely my first choice, and hearing those things about the school and the residency thing is SUCH a relief! Now I know I'm going there. :)

Question: when did you first visit campus? I haven't yet visited, but I am making plans with the office to visit soon. I didn't think that the prospective applicant tour will really be the most applicable/best way for me to get information about the school, so I think they just want me to come and visit, which I want to do. I would absolutely love to sit down and chat when I come to visit. I will get back to you as soon as I know when I'm coming.

From my first semester of classes and also spending two weeks observing clinical interactions between faculty and students, we have it great. Overall, the teaching here is strong, and there is a great family atmosphere. Professors want you to do well, to learn, and to get everything you want out of your time here. Our anatomy professors came in on their own time to the lab on Sundays to help before exams. I was able to shadow in the onco and neuro departments over break with just a single e-mail beforehand. Extra help is available when you need it. There is always laughter during lectures at some point in time. I'm very impressed with the quality of the instruction as well as the kindness and support of our teachers.

That is exactly what I was hoping for. You answered the questions that I was wondering about but hadn't asked yet! :)

Thanks for the info, Nittany. Everything I've read here about NCSU has made me more excited about the school, the wait for a decision is killing me :xf:

NittanyKitty, you are so awesome. NCSU is definitely my first choice, and hearing those things about the school and the residency thing is SUCH a relief! Now I know I'm going there. :)

*is excited* Yay! I think you will be super-happy with your choice!

Question: when did you first visit campus? I haven't yet visited, but I am making plans with the office to visit soon. I didn't think that the prospective applicant tour will really be the most applicable/best way for me to get information about the school, so I think they just want me to come and visit, which I want to do. I would absolutely love to sit down and chat when I come to visit. I will get back to you as soon as I know when I'm coming.

I was actually put on the OOS waitlist last year, accepted a spot at another school in the meanwhile, then was called off the list after the open house weekend (sometime in late April). I had to do the same thing as you and contact a student I knew from undergrad to show me around unofficially on a separate date. Worked out great! Sometimes one on one is easier to get a "real feel" for the school rather than in a large group. All I had was that one emergency visit weekend to decide (the boy was visiting that weekend so we drove down on a Friday and drove back on a Sunday). I was pretty sure I would accept there but just wanted to make sure that the students didn't have three heads or anything first.

Would LOVE to help you out during your visit, so let me know if there's anything you need!

So it looks like I will be visiting on a Monday, either January 24 or 31. Johanna in the Student Services Office is going to be giving me a tour. She also said that I could sit in on one or two classes, and that I could eat lunch with some of the students. I'm looking at airfare right now to figure out which of those dates would be more economical for me to visit.

Another question: when did you start looking for housing? Also, how did you do it? Did you kind of go out on your own, or use an apartment locating service/realtor? I planning on staying two days in Raleigh, one day to visit the school and the other day to check out housing/Raleigh in general. I know it's too early to be signing leases, but I wanted to make the most of my trip by learning as much as I can about Raleigh and the housing options while I'm there. Is there a good website where I can read more about housing? Or is there an area where most of the vet students live, or a place I should avoid?

Thanks for the info NittanyKitty! I'm another OOS and NCSU is currently at the top of my list! I'm still waiting to hear back from a few others in the northeast, but even if I was accepted I would have a tough decision as I really have fallen in love with NC State from everything I've read and heard about the school.

I'm also trying to decide on the best time to come and see the school would be. Do they usually have their open house before april?

Also are they good about financial aid and letting you know before you have to make a decision? I'm not sure if I will be able to try to get IS residency, because I have a great job at home that I work at every summer and would hate to not work there this coming summer before starting vet school.

Ahhh so exciting! I can't wait until IS acceptances come out so the class can be finalized! :)

So it looks like I will be visiting on a Monday, either January 24 or 31. Johanna in the Student Services Office is going to be giving me a tour. She also said that I could sit in on one or two classes, and that I could eat lunch with some of the students. I'm looking at airfare right now to figure out which of those dates would be more economical for me to visit.

Great! You can definitely tag along with me if you'd like, and I think going to a class or two will really give you a feel for the school.

Another question: when did you start looking for housing? Also, how did you do it? Did you kind of go out on your own, or use an apartment locating service/realtor? I planning on staying two days in Raleigh, one day to visit the school and the other day to check out housing/Raleigh in general. I know it's too early to be signing leases, but I wanted to make the most of my trip by learning as much as I can about Raleigh and the housing options while I'm there. Is there a good website where I can read more about housing? Or is there an area where most of the vet students live, or a place I should avoid?

Like I said, I got in off the OOS waitlist in late April and had only a weekend to make my decision between NCSU and another school. The way I approached it (since I would only be in town for about 36 hours) was to research apartments beforehand that got good reviews online, were less than $600 per month (I'm a cheap-o), and were within a 10-12 minute drive from the vet school. I got a list of about six places together, booked a solid afternoon of visits, and had one picked by the end of the day. You have a bit more time, so that mad rush definitely isn't necessary.

I don't think that a lot of people tend to live IN Raleigh. It's very much a commuter city without a whole lot of downtown residents. Also, I don't really think there is a certain area of town that you need to be sure to avoid because of safety reasons. While I'm sure there are certain pockets of the area that aren't great, I haven't really heard of any (unlike when I interviewed at Penn!). Your tours of apartments/homes/etc. will give you a good idea of if it's the right spot for you. My biggest warning is that I would definitely avoid living too close to the main campus because you might accidentally wind up in undergrad-central. Start at the vet school campus (we're slightly separate geographically), and draw a circle around it indicating the furthest distance you're willing to drive. Do the same for hubby's workplace and find some common ground to begin your search. Also, remember that if you don't want to move again in three years, you need to be within a 15-20 minute drive max for fourth year on-call duties at most schools.

Depending on where your hubby needs to be for work, I would personally focus on places in Cary (neighboring town) and near the Crabtree Mall (where I live!). A lot of students live in these two areas. Cary is about ten minutes from the school and is a quiet suburb where you can find plenty of homes and apartments/condos for rent. The area surrounding the Crabtree Mall has toooons of different apartment and condo complexes for all kinds of needs and budgets. I got a great deal on a 1 bedroom in a quiet, safe, convenient complex ($485/mo!) and there are plenty of other great places to live. You're about an 8-10 minute drive from school when here. Both places offer every convenience that you could want within arms reach and are good starting points.

I'm also trying to decide on the best time to come and see the school would be. Do they usually have their open house before april?

The Welcome Weekend will be held on April 1st and 2nd this year, so you do have time to decide afterward before the deadline.

Also are they good about financial aid and letting you know before you have to make a decision? I'm not sure if I will be able to try to get IS residency, because I have a great job at home that I work at every summer and would hate to not work there this coming summer before starting vet school.

Financial aid in the form of government educational loans is pretty much what all of us subsist on unless you're coming into this as a second career/have lots of savings/have parents footing the bill. You basically fill out the FAFSA and a few other school documents, and you will definitely have loans to pay for everything.

As far as residency goes, I'm currently going through the process myself, but everyone that follows the simple steps has been very successful in years past. I would say that no matter how great of a job you have over the summer, you NEED to seriously consider what you could be throwing away with putting residency off for even just a year. The difference between a year of OOS and IS tuition is somewhere in the area of $22,000. And if you add in interest on those loans...it will obviously add up quickly post-graduation. I had to leave the job that I'd worked at for some point every year since 10th grade to move here in early July, and for that amount of potential debt, it was worth it!!! You can move here in late July or so and still qualify for IS residency applications the next year if you rush to get everything completed. Plus, since orientation starts the first week of August, you're really only losing an additional two weeks at home.

DON'T underestimate the influence of those loans on your future lifestyle!!! I personally made my vet school app and acceptance decisions largely on potential debt load. Penn was my IS school and was going to cost me an arm and a leg, so I applied to other schools where cheap OOS tuition or a switch in residency could save me a bundle. After continuing to hear throughout the year about how much financial trouble this profession is in, I'm very glad that cost was my first thought during applications.