Does not taking organic chem 1 lab make be completely ineligible for MD school a

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JHawk5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-trad med student

Worked full time as a phlebotomist for 3 years

MD school gpa calculation
2.3 cum GPA
2.5 Sci GPA

DO school gpa calculation
2.5 cum
2.7 sci

Post-Undergrad I have retaken some science classes that I received C's in during my undergrad, along with about 25 credit hours of upper level science courses receiving an A in all classes.

I have good volunteer work, 2 PhD level organic chemistry research projects,a solid amount of doctor shadowing, and good letters of recommendation including 3 doctors, 2 professors, and 3 others.

Also one of the doctors that is writing a letter for me is on the selection board for my state MD school.

Basically all I have left is my MCAT, I have been studying alot and am hoping to score well.

Because of work I was not able to fit organic chem 1 lab into my schedule and never took the course, it is the only MD school required course I have not taken and I have fulfilled all application requirements for DO schools.

My plan is to apply to my state MD school (The University of Kansas) and then probably apply broadly to DO schools. Will KU even consider my application since I haven't completed OChem 1 Lab.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are med schools that recommend rather than require OChem lab, and others are willing to consider those with only one semester of OChem lab, particularly if they have taken Biochem. The only way you'll know for sure if you're obliged to take it, is to call the admissions office and ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are med schools that recommend rather than require OChem lab, and others are willing to consider those with only one semester of OChem lab, particularly if they have taken Biochem. The only way you'll know for sure if you're obliged to take it, is to call the admissions office and ask.

Sounds good... I will call and ask, I have taken Biochem and I guess I am hoping they can over look me not taking it because of my research projects, taking biochem, and also taking OChem 2 lab.

You might as well apply through the early decision program. From what I understand it only bars you from applying to other MD schools, not DO schools.