University of Alberta Entry 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amh10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Well It's time to start the waiting game for the 2011 entry into the ualberta program. I thought I would start a new thread for people who are applying to wait anxiously together. Hopefully a lot of us get good news this year!

amh10

Members don't see this ad.

Mailed out my letter of intent just last week. Here is hoping that this year they will be better with keeping us informed about our admission status.

Mailed out my letter of intent just last week. Here is hoping that this year they will be better with keeping us informed about our admission status.

I totally agree. With Elaine now in the drivers seat for admissions maybe there will be more info sharing. However, it could be the same as in precious years since this is the first year for her. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to you too. The wait for them to update Bear Tracks to say that they have received my Letter of Intent is a little nerve wracking though. I tracked mine through Canada Post so I know it got to the campus, but for all we know it could get lost somewhere in the mean time before it makes it to my profile. Paranoid? Maybe, but I can't help it.

anyone know what competitive stats are? Would I be competitive?

graduating with a BSc. this year from the U of A
3.62 pre req gpa
3.61 last 2 years
3.68 cumulative

hey guys good luck to you all this year!

anyone know what competitive stats are? Would I be competitive?

graduating with a BSc. this year from the U of A
3.62 pre req gpa
3.61 last 2 years
3.68 cumulative

Zoupa those stats in my opinion are pretty good if you are an IP.

Good luck to you too. The wait for them to update Bear Tracks to say that they have received my Letter of Intent is a little nerve wracking though. I tracked mine through Canada Post so I know it got to the campus, but for all we know it could get lost somewhere in the mean time before it makes it to my profile. Paranoid? Maybe, but I can't help it.

Trust me, I was doing the exact same thing. It was definitely a sigh of relief when I checked Bear Tracks and it said that the file is complete :) I am always paranoid when it comes to Canada Post.

Zoupa, you would be competitive on the gpa end, but they do look at the LOI. I've heard that the LOI can make or break an application.

Trust me, I was doing the exact same thing. It was definitely a sigh of relief when I checked Bear Tracks and it said that the file is complete :) I am always paranoid when it comes to Canada Post.

Zoupa, you would be competitive on the gpa end, but they do look at the LOI. I've heard that the LOI can make or break an application.

I was SOOOOO relieved when they checked my LOI off the list. Now just gotta finish up the semester and wait for them to process our final transcripts and get down to some decision making.

Also, I agree about the GPA. Seems competitive to me, and frankly it is better than mine. I am really banking that they will at least look at the fact that I will be completing my BSc soon and see that I have pulled up my socks since I completed my pre-reqs. However, on the previous U of A forum, there was a poster who said they were on the admissions committee who said that they do take the LOI very seriously. I personally wish that they asked for references or held interviews on top of the GPA and LOI to actually get a better idea of your suitability towards the profession, but alas, no such luck. At the end of the day, I am pretty sure it comes down to GPA.

Alright guys thanks. I decided not to apply this year though since i have a 75k job lined up and i'm gonna do that for a year, pay off my loans, save up some money, and make sure that this is really what i want to do. I've thought about pharmacy for a while but never seriously considered applying until right before the deadline. Probably should've applied and then decided in july or whatever. Oh well. I'm also gonna try to upgrade ochem 2 and biochem next spring since I got B's in both although you guys are saying i'm competitive anyway. Those are what killed my pre req gpa. Had some serious personal issues that semester. It's not that i'm bad at chem.

Illix, I also agree that they should hold interviews, but I guess interviews can be inaccurate. I remember my first job interview; I was so nervous and did NOT accurately present myself. So I guess using just GPA is reasonable. They should probably use the PCAT as well.

edit: guess they only offer chem 361 in fall. uh oh :(

Last edited:
I was SOOOOO relieved when they checked my LOI off the list. Now just gotta finish up the semester and wait for them to process our final transcripts and get down to some decision making.

Also, I agree about the GPA. Seems competitive to me, and frankly it is better than mine. I am really banking that they will at least look at the fact that I will be completing my BSc soon and see that I have pulled up my socks since I completed my pre-reqs. However, on the previous U of A forum, there was a poster who said they were on the admissions committee who said that they do take the LOI very seriously. I personally wish that they asked for references or held interviews on top of the GPA and LOI to actually get a better idea of your suitability towards the profession, but alas, no such luck. At the end of the day, I am pretty sure it comes down to GPA.

I completely agree. They should look at more than just GPA. Right now I work in a hospital pharmacy and was chatting with one the pharmacists and she mentioned how she wishes that the UofA would take more into consideration since there are many people who have high GPA's but limited people skills which is becoming more and more a problem since the role of a Pharmacist is evolving to include more and more patient/client interactions.

As for the LOI, I was chatting with a pharmacy student in their final year of school and they said that when it comes down to the last few people they offer acceptances to, they look closely at the LOI's to help distinguish their suitability especially if the two people have similar rankings/ gpa.

Alright guys thanks. I decided not to apply this year though since i have a 75k job lined up and i'm gonna do that for a year, pay off my loans, save up some money, and make sure that this is really what i want to do. I've thought about pharmacy for a while but never seriously considered applying until right before the deadline. Probably should've applied and then decided in july or whatever. Oh well. I'm also gonna try to upgrade ochem 2 and biochem next spring since I got B's in both although you guys are saying i'm competitive anyway. Those are what killed my pre req gpa. Had some serious personal issues that semester. It's not that i'm bad at chem.

Illix, I also agree that they should hold interviews, but I guess interviews can be inaccurate. I remember my first job interview; I was so nervous and did NOT accurately present myself. So I guess using just GPA is reasonable. They should probably use the PCAT as well.

edit: guess they only offer chem 361 in fall. uh oh :(

Good for you on making a decision.

As for the PCAT, I wouldn't want to take it. I would rather them have interviews and reference requirements and possibly a bigger application over paying money to take an exam that normally just stresses us out more than portrays our true capabilities.

hi guys, im also applying for pharmacy this yr..however if i dont get in, it wont be a big deal. I am currently studyign radiation therapy which i am loving, so if i get in, i guess i'll have to make a serious decision. My gpa is around 3.52..and the last sem i had (in radiation therapy program), my avg in 8 courses was 84%..so i am guessing this will be a big positive since it's a high average in a health care program.

Good luck to all..

Hi Everyone!

I am a third year student from the maritimes, and it is my first year applying to pharmacy. Is anyone else from out of province? I have a 3.95 CGPA, curious to see how this will compare with other out of province students! Looking forward to hearing back from admissions!

hey guys, jus wondering does u of a primarily rank on pre req gpa or overall (last 2 years). i have a about a 3.6 pre req but only a 3.0-3.1 overall (last 2 years) but i have lots of EC's because i wanted to do med before, what do u guys think? thx!!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has taken pre-reqs before at Grant Macewan university . and did you get accepted?What was your pre-req GPA?

So I guess we should be getting our results pretty soon huh? Like the first round of acceptances in 2-3 weeks maybe? :scared: I wonder how they will send out letters if the strike is going on still...

So I guess we should be getting our results pretty soon huh? Like the first round of acceptances in 2-3 weeks maybe? :scared: I wonder how they will send out letters if the strike is going on still...

I was wondering the same thing, so i e-mailed the admission's office. Here is the response i got yesterday:

The admissions committee meets at the end of this week. For now, we still intend to
send letters out in the regular mail. Bear track status changes only when the offer
of a place has been accepted and the student has sent in the registration fee. Any
other updates (such as rejections) are done after we have 130 applicants accepted
for the program. This process takes about a month. When we send out a letter, we
allow roughly two weeks for a reply. A second mailing will go out probably in the
third week of July. After that, most of our places will be filled and we will start
to update bear tracks.

In August, if we still have places to fill, we will contact the applicant by phone
first, because we need a fast answer.

I was wondering the same thing, so i e-mailed the admission's office. Here is the response i got yesterday:
hmm, if I'm reading this right, it means that we have to wait to see if we get a letter to find if we got accepted otherwise if you don't get one within 2 weeks, chances are you were rejected.

I have to wonder why this can't be done electronically as in you can accept/decline an offer online in Bear Tracks and then send in the registration fee. The letter can still be used to relay the message(whether you got accepted or not).

hmm, if I'm reading this right, it means that we have to wait to see if we get a letter to find if we got accepted otherwise if you don't get one within 2 weeks, chances are you were rejected.

I have to wonder why this can't be done electronically as in you can accept/decline an offer online in Bear Tracks and then send in the registration fee. The letter can still be used to relay the message(whether you got accepted or not).

I applied to the U of A last year (unsuccessfully) and i actually inquired about why there was a lack of mass e-mail communication or even letters updating us throughout the process. I thought it would save them time if they would send out general progress reports on what stage of the admissions process was coming up next rather than having to answer a thousand e-mails asking when they can find out if they are rejected or not. The UBC admissions people are wonderful at communicating so maybe I am just spoiled. anyway this is the response that I got.

As for general emails and letters during the process, we do not have the resources or the time required to do mass mailings for updating
purposes.

I wasn't aware that it cost so much money to spend half an hour typing up a nice e-mail that can be sent to all applicants informing them about what is happening and then send it out. And apparently, by their logic, it costs less to mail out letters of acceptance rather than to e-mail them.

hi guys, this is my first time applying to u of a too. I didnt got accepted to U of M but I am hoping to hear some good news from u of a in the next couple of weeks. Best of luck to all.

Ahh UofA needs to be more prepared. I can't believe they are going to make us wait to hear from them through the mail (which is on strike right now) rather than just updating beartracks. I mean all major universities update their system and then send out letters or what not so I don't understand why UofA doesn't do that. Ughh this is going to be such a pain waiting again esp. since I thought we'd hear from them on beartracks by this friday! :(

Ahh UofA needs to be more prepared. I can't believe they are going to make us wait to hear from them through the mail (which is on strike right now) rather than just updating beartracks. I mean all major universities update their system and then send out letters or what not so I don't understand why UofA doesn't do that. Ughh this is going to be such a pain waiting again esp. since I thought we'd hear from them on beartracks by this friday! :(
I feel your pain :(

It is a frustrating process. It was a big topic on here last year since they don't really give you any information about the process other than 'they meet at the end of June and will contact people soon after'. From experience (of applying last year) we most likely will not get our letters until the first full week in July (around the 6th). And yes, it kinda does suck that they don't do anything quicker like calls or emails. Other professional programs that I have been interested in either email on a particular day, call the accepted and/or both. As for the acceptances, you generally have a short period (as in a week) to get in your reply's and deposit. I know this because my friend was super stressed about getting the reply in on time.

UofA also does a kind of a 'rolling waitlist' basically like a 'normal waitlist' where when someone rejects the spot, they send out a letter to the next person on their list. The 'rolling' part is that they really don't let you know whether or not you are waitlisted I guess. Oh and for those of you who don't know, they only send out letter to the people whom are accepted, not to those rejected or 'waitlisted'. I waited until August for my beartracks to update and tell me I was rejected. And do not expect that they will keep you informed at all of what is going on. Just hold in there and it will all turn out the way it's supposed to.

I totally agree about emails. I believe that if someone would just make the time to send out one quick email saying something simple like 'Acceptances have been sent out via mail today', or going as far as sending emails to those accepted, 'waitlisted' or rejected, that they (the admissions office) would decrease their stress as well. All their letters have to originate on a computer right? Just send out an electronic version. This point is reminiscent of last year's postings, just update the website with more information and tell all the applicants to watch the website.

Anyways, it's so easy to criticize especially from the perspective of a stressed out, eager, Pharmacy applicant, however, we do not actually know what goes on behind the scenes. This is why we have these forums to help other people who are 1st time applicants and aspiring applicants. If the U of A doesn't have the time to keep us informed, then we will inform our peers on what to expect since I do believe knowing a little bit about what has happened in previous years definitely helps one get prepared for the future and of course relieve some stress.

Good luck to you all!!!

P.S. just one more point, the admissions office, I'm sure, get's plenty of applicants inquiring via email about what's going on and I'm sure that takes up a lot of time plus stresses them out, but they do bring it on themselves. If they kept us informed more on what is going on, then less people would find it necessary to email them, thus decreasing their stress and time answering emails. Anyways, just an interesting afterthought.

It is a frustrating process. It was a big topic on here last year since they don't really give you any information about the process other than 'they meet at the end of June and will contact people soon after'. From experience (of applying last year) we most likely will not get our letters until the first full week in July (around the 6th). And yes, it kinda does suck that they don't do anything quicker like calls or emails. Other professional programs that I have been interested in either email on a particular day, call the accepted and/or both. As for the acceptances, you generally have a short period (as in a week) to get in your reply's and deposit. I know this because my friend was super stressed about getting the reply in on time.

UofA also does a kind of a 'rolling waitlist' basically like a 'normal waitlist' where when someone rejects the spot, they send out a letter to the next person on their list. The 'rolling' part is that they really don't let you know whether or not you are waitlisted I guess. Oh and for those of you who don't know, they only send out letter to the people whom are accepted, not to those rejected or 'waitlisted'. I waited until August for my beartracks to update and tell me I was rejected. And do not expect that they will keep you informed at all of what is going on. Just hold in there and it will all turn out the way it's supposed to.

I totally agree about emails. I believe that if someone would just make the time to send out one quick email saying something simple like 'Acceptances have been sent out via mail today', or going as far as sending emails to those accepted, 'waitlisted' or rejected, that they (the admissions office) would decrease their stress as well. All their letters have to originate on a computer right? Just send out an electronic version. This point is reminiscent of last year's postings, just update the website with more information and tell all the applicants to watch the website.

Anyways, it's so easy to criticize especially from the perspective of a stressed out, eager, Pharmacy applicant, however, we do not actually know what goes on behind the scenes. This is why we have these forums to help other people who are 1st time applicants and aspiring applicants. If the U of A doesn't have the time to keep us informed, then we will inform our peers on what to expect since I do believe knowing a little bit about what has happened in previous years definitely helps one get prepared for the future and of course relieve some stress.

Good luck to you all!!!

P.S. just one more point, the admissions office, I'm sure, get's plenty of applicants inquiring via email about what's going on and I'm sure that takes up a lot of time plus stresses them out, but they do bring it on themselves. If they kept us informed more on what is going on, then less people would find it necessary to email them, thus decreasing their stress and time answering emails. Anyways, just an interesting afterthought.
Thanks for writing this, very informative. After reading that post of the email response, this is similar to what I thought they were doing and I was hoping it wasn't the case, but, alas it is :( I guess the worst part is the bolded. Considering I'm OOP and Post Canada is on strike, all I can hope for is that if I'm accepted, I get the letter in time to mail back. Such a bizzare waiting game now especially considering the strike :(

Good luck to you all!!!

ya I would be fine with their methods if canada post wasn't on strike. I mean who knows how long the strike can take and it makes me wonder how the letters will get to us. It would be easier, considering these circumstances, to send out an e-mail instead :(

I am applying to University of Saskatchewan as well and I received an email from them yesterday saying that they will send an email on Monday for those who got accepted to their pharmacy program. Now, I guess U of A can learn something from them.

Last edited:
I am applying to University of Saskatchewan as well and I received an email from them yesterday saying that they will send an email on Monday for those who got accepted to their pharmacy program. Now, I guess U of A can learn something from them.
or Toronto. They just posted up the results at 5, that forum thread has exploded :p Upon calling UofA, they said that they'll probably send results out by end of next week, so, i won't expect to hear from the university for another week and a half at min :)

or Toronto. They just posted up the results at 5, that forum thread has exploded :p Upon calling UofA, they said that they'll probably send results out by end of next week, so, i won't expect to hear from the university for another week and a half at min :)

That's exactly what I was expecting. I have been listening a lot to what is going on with Canada Post and the last I have heard is that the back to work legislation has passed and that employee's are ordered to go back to work. When exactly, I'm not too sure, but with it passed, it now goes on to the Senate. bahhhh I just hope that UofA decides to email us since it will take probably a week (in my opinion) to sort through all the mail that has accumulated.

Ok everyone! approximately one more week of waiting for initial acceptances!

So, since postal services have resumed, who want's to bet they still decide to send the acceptance letters via mail? *hand up* (yes, there is no smiley for putting one's hand up).

I also bet that they actually send out letters on the 4th of July. I was going to make bets for when the first person receives their letter, but I thought that would be to varied.

How many of you are as tired as I am of waiting!

So, since postal services have resumed, who want's to bet they still decide to send the acceptance letters via mail? *hand up* (yes, there is no smiley for putting one's hand up).

I also bet that they actually send out letters on the 4th of July. I was going to make bets for when the first person receives their letter, but I thought that would be to varied.

Yeah i say we will be lucky if people start getting letters by the end of next week. Either way, I am accepted to UBC so at least I know i'll be going *somewhere*!

They should just send out emails it would be a lot faster and efficient.

Congrats Lillix!!

Does anyone know when U of A will send the acceptance letters. I emailed Elain like a week ago but have not heard anything from her. Usually she is quick to reply but this time :confused:....

Also, Congrats lllix !!!

Last edited:
No one knows, that's what we've been talking about on this forum. They most likely sent out the letters today or will on monday. We will likely receive them next week or the week after. Only admitted people are sent a letter. The rest will most likely not know until August.

Does anyone know when U of A will send the acceptance letters. I emailed Elain like a week ago but have not heard anything from her. Usually she is quick to reply but this time :confused:....

Also, Congrats lllix !!!

Well, I was tired of waiting as well but since I got into UofT, I'm going there, so, if I do get an acceptance, I'll be rejecting it and hopefully another deserving student will get it :)

Well, I was tired of waiting as well but since I got into UofT, I'm going there, so, if I do get an acceptance, I'll be rejecting it and hopefully another deserving student will get it :)

Good for you! And see, that's another flaw in the U of A Pharm application system, if they wanted the best, they would let people know closer to the same time the other schools inform applicants because I'm sure you aren't the only one who would make that decision.

Happy Canada Day everyone!!!

Good for you! And see, that's another flaw in the U of A Pharm application system, if they wanted the best, they would let people know closer to the same time the other schools inform applicants because I'm sure you aren't the only one who would make that decision.

Happy Canada Day everyone!!!
Thank you and you are correct. It should've been done electronically with a letter follow up but alas, they didn't and are missing out on good students who might go for another university due to the faster and more organized response IMO.

Happy Canada Day!

Thank you and you are correct. It should've been done electronically with a letter follow up but alas, they didn't and are missing out on good students who might go for another university due to the faster and more organized response IMO.

Happy Canada Day!

Am I the only one who likes their late invite dates? Since they accept students all over the country without any quotas, I'd of thought a lot of out of province students would have u of a as backup and if they get accepted in their province they can decline their offer. By having it later then other schools, out of province students wouldnt be caught in a crossroad, and be forced to take a gamble on accepting u of a and having to move or declining and hoping/waiting to hear whether they got into their in-province uni. I'm assuming students have a limited time to accept/decline their offer.

This works for students on waitlists too because less out of province students will their accept invites, given that they got into their in-province school.

I got in at ubc so if I do get accepted by u of a, I'll be declining too, which is one more seat for waitlisted students. I think their system works and this is their reason they do it the way they do. Maybe the problem is just students anxieties.

Am I the only one who likes their late invite dates? Since they accept students all over the country without any quotas, I'd of thought a lot of out of province students would have u of a as backup and if they get accepted in their province they can decline their offer. By having it later then other schools, out of province students wouldnt be caught in a crossroad, and be forced to take a gamble on accepting u of a and having to move or declining and hoping/waiting to hear whether they got into their in-province uni. I'm assuming students have a limited time to accept/decline their offer.

This works for students on waitlists too because less out of province students will their accept invites, given that they got into their in-province school.

I got in at ubc so if I do get accepted by u of a, I'll be declining too, which is one more seat for waitlisted students. I think their system works and this is their reason they do it the way they do. Maybe the problem is just students anxieties.
hmm, can't say I fully disagree with this but at least, if it was earlier, I can make a decision between UofA and other universities I got in(if any).

I'm not sure, but you might be. Your comments make sense for sure, but it's of no benefit to the in province applicants. Also, you wouldn't be in the situation that you are talking about (choosing UofA since it's your backup) if the pharmacy schools accept people around the same time, even the same day like medical schools. That way, you can have all your options presented to you at the same time and have the ability to choose the school you want to attend and let the schools, that you decline, know so that they can move on to their waitlisted people.

I do disagree though, that the U of A would wait so long to let people know. Your argument basically says that they are targeting out of province students, which I hazard to say is not true. It's of benefit for the U of A to have in province students accepted because there is a higher chance that those students will stay in Alberta, whereas, out of province have more of an inclination to go back to their home towns closer to their families.

I also wouldn't mind asking who would actually decline a position in hopes of getting one elsewhere? Isn't that the whole point of applying to other schools, so that if the school of your choice doesn't accept you, that you have a backup. Most people I know, would accept the position at the UofA (say their school of choice is UBC) if they haven't heard from UBC then if they got accepted into UBC, they would cut their losses (aka money losses for the acceptance fee) to attend the school of their choice. If one wasn't going to accept the position at a school in hopes that they would get accepted elsewhere, why would they apply in the first place.

I would also like to put out the argument that it is really the universities that should be convincing us to attend them over other schools. I mean, I remember in high school we were constantly being visited by universities and colleges from all over the country advertising their programs, but with pharmacy schools it seems like they have to do zero advertising since they all know that interested pre-pharm students will seek information on their own. This, in itself, is fine. But really, if the schools are truly interested in enticing the "best" applicants who may have received multiple acceptances, it is my opinion that they should try to sweeten the pot and give you a reason to go to that school.

I am an Alberta resident and while going to school in province would be beneficial for me in many ways, at this moment I am pretty much 100% certain that I will be sticking with UBC. If I happen to get a letter from U of A next week I will consider staying around, but if they keep me waiting past next friday then there is no way I am waiting for them to *maybe* pull me off a waitlist.

Reasons why I am currently very pro-UBC aside from the fact that I have already received an acceptance?: So far, they totally surpass the U of A in terms of their administrative interaction with applicants. As we have been talking about earlier in this thread, UBC actually gives you an idea of what is going on with your application, takes the time to keep you informed, and isn't so arrogant as to leave you languishing for months over the admission decision. Furthermore, they evaluate the well-roundedness of an individual rather than just their GPA. Who cares where the the student with the highest PEBC score came from if they are just a robot deep down?

My boss, a pharmacist and pharmacy owner, asked the U of A Dean about this issue during his annual fundraising golf tournament thing last summer and he simply said that that was someone else's jurisdiction and that he wasn't involved in the admission criteria. I dunno about you guys, but if I was the Dean of a professional program I think I would make a point of ensuring that the qualifications of applicants were well represented.

agreed.... good argument. I also have been accepted into another very competitive program, and if I don't get accepted in the first group, I'm going to email U of A to take me off their waitlist.

I would also like to put out the argument that it is really the universities that should be convincing us to attend them over other schools. I mean, I remember in high school we were constantly being visited by universities and colleges from all over the country advertising their programs, but with pharmacy schools it seems like they have to do zero advertising since they all know that interested pre-pharm students will seek information on their own. This, in itself, is fine. But really, if the schools are truly interested in enticing the "best" applicants who may have received multiple acceptances, it is my opinion that they should try to sweeten the pot and give you a reason to go to that school.

I am an Alberta resident and while going to school in province would be beneficial for me in many ways, at this moment I am pretty much 100% certain that I will be sticking with UBC. If I happen to get a letter from U of A next week I will consider staying around, but if they keep me waiting past next friday then there is no way I am waiting for them to *maybe* pull me off a waitlist.

Reasons why I am currently very pro-UBC aside from the fact that I have already received an acceptance?: So far, they totally surpass the U of A in terms of their administrative interaction with applicants. As we have been talking about earlier in this thread, UBC actually gives you an idea of what is going on with your application, takes the time to keep you informed, and isn't so arrogant as to leave you languishing for months over the admission decision. Furthermore, they evaluate the well-roundedness of an individual rather than just their GPA. Who cares where the the student with the highest PEBC score came from if they are just a robot deep down?

My boss, a pharmacist and pharmacy owner, asked the U of A Dean about this issue during his annual fundraising golf tournament thing last summer and he simply said that that was someone else's jurisdiction and that he wasn't involved in the admission criteria. I dunno about you guys, but if I was the Dean of a professional program I think I would make a point of ensuring that the qualifications of applicants were well represented.

I'm not sure, but you might be. Your comments make sense for sure, but it's of no benefit to the in province applicants. Also, you wouldn't be in the situation that you are talking about (choosing UofA since it's your backup) if the pharmacy schools accept people around the same time, even the same day like medical schools. That way, you can have all your options presented to you at the same time and have the ability to choose the school you want to attend and let the schools, that you decline, know so that they can move on to their waitlisted people.

I do disagree though, that the U of A would wait so long to let people know. Your argument basically says that they are targeting out of province students, which I hazard to say is not true. It's of benefit for the U of A to have in province students accepted because there is a higher chance that those students will stay in Alberta, whereas, out of province have more of an inclination to go back to their home towns closer to their families.

I also wouldn't mind asking who would actually decline a position in hopes of getting one elsewhere? Isn't that the whole point of applying to other schools, so that if the school of your choice doesn't accept you, that you have a backup. Most people I know, would accept the position at the UofA (say their school of choice is UBC) if they haven't heard from UBC then if they got accepted into UBC, they would cut their losses (aka money losses for the acceptance fee) to attend the school of their choice. If one wasn't going to accept the position at a school in hopes that they would get accepted elsewhere, why would they apply in the first place.
This is what I wanted to write :p

Yes, 100% true. I guess the part that put me off UofA aside from the long turnaround time was the fact that if you got declined or are on a waitlist, you aren't told at all until they fill all the positions which to me is unacceptable! I can only imagine how one would feel if they applied only to UofA(I know, not very likely) and had to wait till August to find they got rejected :(

As to that UofA Dean story, that's really bizzare, the idea that he passed it on to someone else that is.

As to that UofA Dean story, that's really bizzare, the idea that he passed it on to someone else that is.

Yeah, I mean don't take it word for word, but that's the gist of what my boss told me. It was basically along the lines of the Dean brushing it off and saying "oh then you would have to talk to [insert name here]..." *shrug*

Yeah, I mean don't take it word for word, but that's the gist of what my boss told me. It was basically along the lines of the Dean brushing it off and saying "oh then you would have to talk to [insert name here]..." *shrug*
of course, I just found it odd that he doesn't have some hand or idea about the admission process and its shortcomings :)

of course, I just found it odd that he doesn't have some hand or idea about the admission process and its shortcomings :)

Or perhaps he just doesn't care to become involved.

Well I'm not too sure if it is that he doesn't care or more that he's a busy man and generally the task is delegated to the Dean of Admissions. Whom that is, I don't know, but it's their role to oversee the admissions process. However, it appears that there may not be a dean of admissions.....who knows lol

Or perhaps he just doesn't care to become involved.

anybody receive letters or hear about anything yet?

anybody receive letters or hear about anything yet?

Letters were sent on Monday. So, give it a day or two atleast. I am not on the list, but hoping that I might get accepted from the waiting list. Good luck to everybody else.

Letters were sent on Monday. So, give it a day or two atleast. I am not on the list, but hoping that I might get accepted from the waiting list. Good luck to everybody else.

Hey xonox can i ask your gpa?

Hey xonox can i ask your gpa?
It is 3.5 for pre-requisite courses. I dont know what is my cumulative GPA. I am a graduate student and I cant even go back to school and improve it. @#$%&. Also, I am an OOP and I think I have a very slim chance of getting in :(.

how do you know you are not on the list?