University of Alberta Entry 2011

Started by amh10
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you call admissions?

Letters were sent on Monday. So, give it a day or two atleast. I am not on the list, but hoping that I might get accepted from the waiting list. Good luck to everybody else.
 
how do you know you are not on the list?
I got an email from Elain saying that I am not on the list of letters sent out on Monday 🙁. Do you guys think I have any chance of getting in with 3.5 GPA ? Has anyone else in the past have got accepted with that from the waiting list ? I am very worried, I do not wish to wait another year and apply again.
 
I got an email from Elain saying that I am not on the list of letters sent out on Monday 🙁. Do you guys think I have any chance of getting in with 3.5 GPA ? Has anyone else in the past have got accepted with that from the waiting list ? I am very worried, I do not wish to wait another year and apply again.

Why did she email you? Was it a batch email or did you specifically mail her?

And are you oop? I read someone got in last year oop with a 3.6 or something.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why did she email you? Was it a batch email or did you specifically mail her?

And are you oop? I read someone got in last year oop with a 3.6 or something.
No. I was bugging her about my application so she finally emailed me on Monday and told me that I am out of the first race.

And, thanx for the info. Mine is lower than that but I will keep my fingers crossed :idea:.
 
I got an email from Elain saying that I am not on the list of letters sent out on Monday 🙁. Do you guys think I have any chance of getting in with 3.5 GPA ? Has anyone else in the past have got accepted with that from the waiting list ? I am very worried, I do not wish to wait another year and apply again.

it is recommended OOP applicants have a gpa of 3.7, but theres still a chance you could be selected off the waitlist. so dont give up hope!! i guess you have to wait it out
 
So has no one received letters yet or are we all just unlucky rejects? I guess I'll give it until Friday, although technically, I have received letter mail from within province in much less time than that. But knowing Canada Post, I won't hold my breath.
 
Just got my letter today. My pre-req average is probably abysmal (like we are talking lucky if it is a 3.2). However I am finished my degree and did awesome in my upper year biochemistry and biology courses.

Also accepted to UBC. Decisions, decisions.
 
I just found out i did not make the first round. The admissiom said if i dont get the rejection letter shortly that means i am in the top two hundred. They didnt tell me where i am standing though.
 
Just got my letter today. My pre-req average is probably abysmal (like we are talking lucky if it is a 3.2). However I am finished my degree and did awesome in my upper year biochemistry and biology courses.

Also accepted to UBC. Decisions, decisions.
That is a bit low pre-req GPA. Are you an IP or OOP student. Congrats though 👍.
 
I just found out i did not make the first round. The admissiom said if i dont get the rejection letter shortly that means i am in the top two hundred. They didnt tell me where i am standing though.
Hey hsh3385, what does it say on your bear tracks page ? Mine is still says decision pending 😕.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys I have also found out that I've been accepted into the pharmacy program. I'm from out of province. If any one is looking for a roommate just email me at [email protected]. Good luck to everyone during the waiting process
 
Last edited:
That is a bit low pre-req GPA. Are you an IP or OOP student. Congrats though 👍.

In-province. Yeah I doubt I would have made it with stats like that as an OOP. However, I was surprised to hear from them at all, so I guess I have a tough decisions to make.
 
Hey everyone, no letter here. Thinking I'm going to call admissions tomorrow to see if I was accepted this round. If not I've already been accepted into another really excited program so I'm going to go for that. Though im sad but relieved that I don't have to choose between the two programs. Congrats to you all who've been accepted! So happy for you!

lllix, congrats buddy! Guess no more need to complain with me about the admissions process at the UofA lol:laugh:
 
Last edited:
Hey everyone, no letter here. Thinking I'm going to call admissions tomorrow to see if I was accepted this round. If not I've already been accepted into another really excited program so I'm going to go for that. Though im sad but relieved that I don't have to choose between the two programs. Congrats to you all who've been accepted! So happy for you!

lllix, congrats buddy! Guess no more need to complain with me about the admissions process at the UofA lol:laugh:

Haha, well i still have plenty of complaints. i mean, finding out less than two months before term starts is no picnic!

good luck on that letter!
 
I called earlier and found out I'm accepted! Not really sure if I'm IP or OOP, since I've attended UofA for the last two years, but live in BC 😀
 
hey guys I posted here earlier. I'm an out of province student who has been accepted into the university of alberta pharmacy program. I'm currently looking for roommates that have also been recently admitted into the pharmacy program. It just be a nice way to make friends and also live with other students going through the same process. So if your interested email me at [email protected] . I also was wondering if there is any particular place in these forums to find newly accepted students that are also looking for roommates. Since I'm pretty new to these forums I thought I'd ask around 🙂.

P.S. Good luck to everyone still waiting
 
Last edited:
Can anyone comment on why the U of A pharmacy tuition is assessed a market modifier? It works out to ten grand a year and that's not including textbooks!!! UBC's tuition is around eight grand not including books. What exactly is U of A supposedly compensating for? The extra two grand is starting make it seem like going to school out of province might not be such an overly expensive choice after all...
 

Hi everyone, I just received confirmation that I amaccepted!!🙂 I am also an out of province student and am looking for housingoptions. I am a female student and would prefer to live with other females.Send me a PM if you are also looking for housing!
 

Hi everyone, I just received confirmation that I amaccepted!!🙂 I am also an out of province student and am looking for housingoptions. I am a female student and would prefer to live with other females.Send me a PM if you are also looking for housing!

Congrats!
 
Hi everyone, I just received confirmation that I amaccepted!!🙂 I am also an out of province student and am looking for housingoptions. I am a female student and would prefer to live with other females.Send me a PM if you are also looking for housing!
Congrats to getting in! 🙂
 
I am still having trouble deciding between U of A and UBC. Any pharmacy students lurking here who want to give me some input?
 
I am still having trouble deciding between U of A and UBC. Any pharmacy students lurking here who want to give me some input?

both of them are good universities but i would go for ubc as the student life if better in ubc and vancouver is a very nice place as well.. just personal prefrence 😉

and also i read somewhere in this thread about bridging for pharmd after bsc pharm at ubc .. i would look into that as well if i were u
 
I am still having trouble deciding between U of A and UBC. Any pharmacy students lurking here who want to give me some input?

I was having trouble deciding as well... I guess a good problem to have 😀. I ended up picking U of A... more because I'm used to the school than anything else. I couldn't find a significant difference between the two programs that would sway me to one or the other.

Which one did you pick?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was having trouble deciding as well... I guess a good problem to have 😀. I ended up picking U of A... more because I'm used to the school than anything else. I couldn't find a significant difference between the two programs that would sway me to one or the other.

Which one did you pick?

I haven't officially selected yet and I may end up paying both deposits to buy more time. Yes I am a terrible person. This is one of the hardest decisions ever. I went to U of C, so both schools are foreign to me. I haven't spent very much time on either campus or had any real experience with the professors either.
 
I haven't officially selected yet and I may end up paying both deposits to buy more time. Yes I am a terrible person. This is one of the hardest decisions ever. I went to U of C, so both schools are foreign to me. I haven't spent very much time on either campus or had any real experience with the professors either.

Hello everyone and congrats to all those who got accepted! I also got accepted! However just a quick question, does your beartracks still say decision pending? That makes me feel all paranoid. 😕

lllix, I also come from U of C! Just thought that was a bit interesting because I only knew one other person from U of C that applied. 🙂 Does UBC work out to be cheaper than U of A? If so, UBC would sound more appealing to me. (But I really don't know anything about either school)
 
Hello everyone and congrats to all those who got accepted! I also got accepted! However just a quick question, does your beartracks still say decision pending? That makes me feel all paranoid. 😕

lllix, I also come from U of C! Just thought that was a bit interesting because I only knew one other person from U of C that applied. 🙂 Does UBC work out to be cheaper than U of A? If so, UBC would sound more appealing to me. (But I really don't know anything about either school)

Congrats! Mine changed to "Accepted" a few days after I gave in my confirmation deposit.
 
so when they calculate your gpa they do pre req and and last 2 years (last 60 credits) gpa right?
 
so when they calculate your gpa they do pre req and and last 2 years (last 60 credits) gpa right?
I believe that they rank you based on your pre req gpa.

I just got the envelope yesterday and was accepted but I already accepted UofT so GL to whoever takes my spot 🙂
 
Since the first round of admission is over, now it is time for those on the waiting list. Has anyone contacted Elain regarding that ? Anyone heard anything or their bear tracks changed at all ?

just curiouse !!!:scared:
 
Since the first round of admission is over, now it is time for those on the waiting list. Has anyone contacted Elain regarding that ? Anyone heard anything or their bear tracks changed at all ?

just curiouse !!!:scared:
Bear tracks won't change until they fill all the spots. In terms of the waitlist, I think you can call her and she'll tell you if you are on it assuming that's your question 🙂
 
hey guys I posted this thread awhile back, but found this thread so I thought I'd post it here:

I just had a question with regards the Pharmacy Program at the University of Alberta. I just wanted to know what is the graduation percentage of the program if anyone knows? I would also like to know if anyone knows how the program ranks in terms of difficulty compared to other pharmacy programs in Canada or how difficult the program is in general. I would love to here input from previous students and graduates or students in the program right now.

Thank You.

P.S. I ask the question about difficulty due to the understnading that admissions into the program is in large part based on GPA.
 
I notified them that I was turning down my acceptance before the August Long Weekend, so congratulations to whoever gets my place 🙂
 
I would also like to put out the argument that it is really the universities that should be convincing us to attend them over other schools. I mean, I remember in high school we were constantly being visited by universities and colleges from all over the country advertising their programs, but with pharmacy schools it seems like they have to do zero advertising since they all know that interested pre-pharm students will seek information on their own. This, in itself, is fine. But really, if the schools are truly interested in enticing the "best" applicants who may have received multiple acceptances, it is my opinion that they should try to sweeten the pot and give you a reason to go to that school.

I am an Alberta resident and while going to school in province would be beneficial for me in many ways, at this moment I am pretty much 100% certain that I will be sticking with UBC. If I happen to get a letter from U of A next week I will consider staying around, but if they keep me waiting past next friday then there is no way I am waiting for them to *maybe* pull me off a waitlist.

Reasons why I am currently very pro-UBC aside from the fact that I have already received an acceptance?: So far, they totally surpass the U of A in terms of their administrative interaction with applicants. As we have been talking about earlier in this thread, UBC actually gives you an idea of what is going on with your application, takes the time to keep you informed, and isn't so arrogant as to leave you languishing for months over the admission decision. Furthermore, they evaluate the well-roundedness of an individual rather than just their GPA. Who cares where the the student with the highest PEBC score came from if they are just a robot deep down?

My boss, a pharmacist and pharmacy owner, asked the U of A Dean about this issue during his annual fundraising golf tournament thing last summer and he simply said that that was someone else's jurisdiction and that he wasn't involved in the admission criteria. I dunno about you guys, but if I was the Dean of a professional program I think I would make a point of ensuring that the qualifications of applicants were well represented.

Wow, you're unbelievable... you would choose to go with UBC because their administration is more communicative than U of A? You do realize you rarely talk to admin staff once you're in right? And that the U of A admin staff really are amazing once you're in?

I would say 99% of my former peers at the ualberta pharmacy class were not "robots"... just because we don't have interviews doesn't mean that we are socially awkward robots, and frankly, it's offensive to those who are accepted. Also, you do realize that part II of the PEBC are interactive (aka mock patients) right? So It would be really hard to get the best scores by being a robot.

Also, great job on assuming we have a horrible dean based on rumors. Here's something you probably didn't know, the dean we have now is NEW. So basically, you expect a new dean to deal with admissions (which is the responsibility of the admissions staff) as well as impliment the new pharmD program (working with the gov), work on the market modifier and the move to the new faculty all at once? Not to mention that he just came here from the states one academic year ago... so there's familial responsibilities. Also there are talks of adding interviews at ualberta...

Can anyone comment on why the U of A pharmacy tuition is assessed a market modifier? It works out to ten grand a year and that's not including textbooks!!! UBC's tuition is around eight grand not including books. What exactly is U of A supposedly compensating for? The extra two grand is starting make it seem like going to school out of province might not be such an overly expensive choice after all...

Have you considered that moving to UBC means expensive housing? Moving costs? Flights? The cost of which is much, much, greater than the tuition in edmonton. At the ubc dent open house, they told us tuition was 53k/yr, but living expenses in vancouver would amount to 72k/yr if you're OOP... so good luck experiencing that "vancouver lifestyle" if you're complaining over the 2k hike of ualberta. Also, if you do your research, you'll know the modifier is compensating for the economic crisis of 2008. 10k is normal for pharmacy schools (ie. UT is 12-13k). The pharmacy classes up till the c/o 2014 was grandfathered in with one of the lowest tuition (~6k/year) nation wide for all four years of their tuition.

Additionally, you compared the tuition of UBC pharm to the TOTAL cost of attending Ualberta pharmacy (minus textbooks).

http://www.registrarsoffice.ualbert...sessments-for-Canadian-Students.aspx#pharmacy

https://you.ubc.ca/ubc/vancouver/adding.ezc

The 10k figure you quoted for ualberta included student fees, upass, uplan,etc... while the 8.6k figure you quoted for ubc is only the tuition (student fees excluded). Using UBC's own cost calculator, it would cost you ~20k to attend ubc pharmacy for 8 months (http://www.students.ubc.ca/youbc/va/costs.cfm?page=) assuming you live on campus in a single room...

Other important things you haven't considered includes:
-smaller class sizes at ualberta (130 vs 224 is a big difference)
-better job prospects in ab vs bc as an Rph (vancouver wages are already less than 40/hr... and UBC recently added 75 seats, saturating the market even more)
-better job prospects as a student Rph
-no PBL
-expanded scope of practice in AB

You wanted a (previous) pharm student input right?

Don't get me wrong, I love UBC and am going there for dentistry, but you seem judgmental through your ignorance.
 
Last edited:
Wow, you're unbelievable... you would choose to go with UBC because their administration is more communicative than U of A? You do realize you rarely talk to admin staff once you're in right? And that the U of A admin staff really are amazing once you're in?

You really think I made a decision about something this important just because of my frustrations with the administrative aspects of the the application process? That is rather presumptuous and hypocritical given that your knowledge of my thought processes is based on what you have read about me in excerpts of public expression of said frustration on a forum intended for individuals who potentially are experiencing a similar situation. You are basically saying that you are allowed to make assumptions about me from your limited observations of my attitudes towards U of A's pharmacy admissions administration over the past two summers, but that I am not entitled to base my opinion about the U of A on my limited experiences with them which have, for the most part, occurred over the exact same two summers that you are judging me for.

I would say 99% of my former peers at the ualberta pharmacy class were not "robots"... just because we don't have interviews doesn't mean that we are socially awkward robots, and frankly, it's offensive to those who are accepted. Also, you do realize that part II of the PEBC are interactive (aka mock patients) right? So It would be really hard to get the best scores by being a robot.

How is it that I have worked in a pharmacy for five and a half years and have never heard about the OSCE?!?!?! (/sarcasm) Of course, I am aware of it. This, in part, is one of the reasons why your assumptions about me in this post are so laughable. In case you haven't noticed, I did get accepted by U of A in my second bout of applications, and yes, I did pick up on the fact that, by my previous reasoning, I also might be considered to fall into the "robot" category. My eyes were opened when I received my acceptance to U of A and I discovered that there were actually many, many good things about the program there. Yes, I wasn't really expecting that I would even have to make a decision due to my rejection last year, but that's why I did my research and came here as *ONE* of my resources in trying to learn more about the pros and cons of each school I was accepted to.


Also, great job on assuming we have a horrible dean based on rumors. Here's something you probably didn't know, the dean we have now is NEW. So basically, you expect a new dean to deal with admissions (which is the responsibility of the admissions staff) as well as impliment the new pharmD program (working with the gov), work on the market modifier and the move to the new faculty all at once? Not to mention that he just came here from the states one academic year ago... so there's familial responsibilities. Also there are talks of adding interviews at ualberta...

You're right, I don't know anything about the Dean. Good thing that the Dean isn't what I based my decision on. And great to hear about the new directions the U of A is pushing towards.

Have you considered that moving to UBC means expensive housing? Moving costs? Flights? The cost of which is much, much, greater than the tuition in edmonton. At the ubc dent open house, they told us tuition was 53k/yr, but living expenses in vancouver would amount to 72k/yr if you're OOP... so good luck experiencing that "vancouver lifestyle" if you're complaining over the 2k hike of ualberta. Also, if you do your research, you'll know the modifier is compensating for the economic crisis of 2008. 10k is normal for pharmacy schools (ie. UT is 12-13k). The pharmacy classes up till the c/o 2014 was grandfathered in with one of the lowest tuition (~6k/year) nation wide for all four years of their tuition.

Again, if you did your research didn't just selectively read the other posts I have made here or in the UBC forum this summer, or had a personal conversation with me about it, for that matter, you would know that I spent a lot of time looking at the programs and the figures. Yes, I know that U of A's program is great and that attending UBC over U of A as an Albertan is going to amount to HUGE difference in money. Obviously I came to terms with the fact that I will be paying a small fortune to live in Vancouver and fly back and forth, etc. I managed to have enough brain cells to rub together to earn one B.Sc. so far, so I don't think it is going too far to defend my intelligence and say that much thought went into this decision and that I am prepared to deal with it financially.

And as I mentioned before, part of my research involved coming to this forum to ask questions which is why I did ASK about the market modifier because I was not educated, at that point, in the matter of tuition considerations.

Additionally, you compared the tuition of UBC pharm to the TOTAL cost of attending Ualberta pharmacy (minus textbooks).

http://www.registrarsoffice.ualbert...sessments-for-Canadian-Students.aspx#pharmacy

https://you.ubc.ca/ubc/vancouver/adding.ezc

The 10k figure you quoted for ualberta included student fees, upass, uplan,etc... while the 8.6k figure you quoted for ubc is only the tuition (student fees excluded). Using UBC's own cost calculator, it would cost you ~20k to attend ubc pharmacy for 8 months (http://www.students.ubc.ca/youbc/va/costs.cfm?page=) assuming you live on campus in a single room...

I am very familiar with UBC's tuition cost calculator and, again, I am well aware of the expected expenses I will face. Forgive me for not citing all of my references. Like I said, I was inquiring about the modifier because I had heard about the increase in tuition, but didn't know much else about it and I apologize for not going back and editing my assessment of UBC's fees and tuition costs into my posts on the matter...

Other important things you haven't considered includes:
-smaller class sizes at ualberta (130 vs 224 is a big difference)
-better job prospects in ab vs bc as an Rph (vancouver wages are already less than 40/hr... and UBC recently added 75 seats, saturating the market even more)
-better job prospects as a student Rph
-no PBL
-expanded scope of practice in AB

You wanted a (previous) pharm student input right?

Don't get me wrong, I love UBC and am going there for dentistry, but you seem judgmental through your ignorance.

Ah. How presumptuous of you, and once again hypocritical since the whole time you have been chiding me for making assumptions about the U of A admin. I did consider job prospects and class sizes, etc. And guess what? I still plan on practicing in Alberta when this is all over and I did make inquiries with the ACP about the mobility agreement and what considerations I must make if I want to practice in Alberta after my degree is over. I have no intentions of practicing in Vancouver when I am done and am seriously considering practicing in rural ability

I find it interesting that you are so passionate about defending U of A Pharm when you clearly defected to UBC's Dentistry program in light of the issues regarding the changing face of the pharmacy profession these days. I don't judge you though, I too have struggled with the apocalyptic views on the profession. At the end of the day, though, it really comes down to what you want out of your career.

I will admit to being quick to judge the U of A, but that does not mean that the issues I had with them are the sole basis for my decision. I did my best to research their programs and did some serious soul-searching about the matter. I would have been happy to attend either school had only one accepted me, but I could only attend one. A decision had to be made and I will have to stand by that choice, right or wrong. But please give me more credit than you have done so far and not perpetuate this argument any further. We are both in programs we want to be in, let's move on.
 
Last edited:
The problem with your premise that I'm presumptuous and hypocritical is the fact that it is NOT my responsibility to read through your previous 278 posts before I respond. BUT, it is YOUR responsibility to post non-inflammatory posts on a public forum based on ignorance.

Here are 2 ways to avoid this from happening again:

1) do your research... typing in "market modifer ualberta" in google is both easier, more comprehensive and faster than asking on sdn

2) Try not to stereotype / be presumptuous / post inflammatory posts /calm down before you post. Yes, you were quick to judge the U of A, and while I understand your frustration, perhaps ranting on a professional forum might not be the best idea.

ie.
[ubc] evaluate the well-roundedness of an individual rather than just their GPA. Who cares where the the student with the highest PEBC score came from if they are just a robot deep down?

[ualberta admissions is] arrogant as to leave you languishing for months over the admission decision

I dunno about you guys, but if I was the Dean of a professional program I think I would make a point of ensuring that the qualifications of applicants were well represented.

you clearly defected to UBC's Dentistry program
(I don't even get how you could judge me this decision... and you clearly did since "defected" carries a negative connotation)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad