What legal action can keep you from graduating med school, becoming a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Belleza156

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine got a 2nd DUI recently. I heard talk that felonies and some misdemeanors can keep you from taking the USMLE Board exams. Is this true? I'm sure med school won't kick you out once you are already in, but can they keep you from taking the Step 1/2/3??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not positive on this, but as I understand it: Felonies/misdemeanors can keep a state from licensing you to practice medicine in that state. Individual states have their own requirements and restrictions. Medical schools can also expel you for "unprofessional" character - in the bylaws you agree to abide by.

I really doubt the USMLE board people care. They are out to make money and profit from your taking the exam. So you could technically pass all Steps and still not be allowed to practice medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine got a 2nd DUI recently. I heard talk that felonies and some misdemeanors can keep you from taking the USMLE Board exams. Is this true? I'm sure med school won't kick you out once you are already in, but can they keep you from taking the Step 1/2/3??

Watch out in Texas... one guy got totally BONED because of the difference between a Texas question (have been arrested, misdemeanors count) versus the national question (felonies only).

Anybody ever here what happened to that guy? I hope he's allowed to practice...for shizzle...

Watch out in Texas... one guy got totally BONED because of the difference between a Texas question (have been arrested, misdemeanors count) versus the national question (felonies only).

Anybody ever here what happened to that guy? I hope he's allowed to practice...for shizzle...

How so? Was it more of an issue of them thinking he was trying to hide something versus the actual offense?

Is a residency going to consider an applicant who may or may not be eligible to be licensed in their state (bc of felonies or whatever?) Do you have to disclose this sort of thing during the match?

How so? Was it more of an issue of them thinking he was trying to hide something versus the actual offense?

It was an expunged misdemeanor from his youth. He was told he didn't have to disclose it for the match, but then the TX licensing board required more extensive information. The place he matched kicked him out because he was 'dishonest' in his application. To do this they had to apply for match waiver, the NMRP permanently banned him from the match. Fortunately he found an out of match position at his home institution so he will eventually get a license but will be unable to get a fellowship through the match.

Is a residency going to consider an applicant who may or may not be eligible to be licensed in their state (bc of felonies or whatever?) Do you have to disclose this sort of thing during the match?

You absolutely have to disclose DUIs etc on the application for ERAS.

And a residency will usually NOT consider someone who will be unable to be licensed in their state. Its variable by state, but Most states require residents to become licensed by x year of their residency or they cannot continue, so they wouldn't be able to train someone who is not licensable.

It was an expunged misdemeanor from his youth. He was told he didn't have to disclose it for the match, but then the TX licensing board required more extensive information. The place he matched kicked him out because he was 'dishonest' in his application. To do this they had to apply for match waiver, the NMRP permanently banned him from the match. Fortunately he found an out of match position at his home institution so he will eventually get a license but will be unable to get a fellowship through the match.

The law is so confusing, I dont get the point of getting something expunged if it shows up on something like this.

Your "friend" needs to go to rehab.

Wow--isn't that their own fault, then? That seems like a royal injustice.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow--isn't that their own fault, then? That seems like a royal injustice.

Well it was a little more indepth than that. The central issue arose when they asked him at the interview if he'd ever been arrested. He said no since that was his answer on the application and that was legit. However, at that point he had misrepresented himself by saying no to that question in the interview.

Pretty extreme response though to dump someone from the residency and report them to NMRP.

Well it was a little more indepth than that. The central issue arose when they asked him at the interview if he'd ever been arrested. He said no since that was his answer on the application and that was legit. However, at that point he had misrepresented himself by saying no to that question in the interview.

Pretty extreme response though to dump someone from the residency and report them to NMRP.

Man, PERMANENTLY banning someone from the match?? :eek::eek::eek:

Yikes.

How badly does your interview have to be going for them to ask you if you've ever been arrested when your application shows no criminal history?

They ask you if you have ever been arrested in residency interviews? Man, I'm screwed, I was arrested twice in undergrad. No convictions though.

How badly does your interview have to be going for them to ask you if you've ever been arrested when your application shows no criminal history?

That's what I was wondering.

For some reason only this program asked that and they asked everyone. They were in Texas which has very strict licensing requirements so they probably wanted to be sure the people they matched were licensable. 10 residency interviews and i was never asked that.

For some reason only this program asked that and they asked everyone. They were in Texas which has very strict licensing requirements so they probably wanted to be sure the people they matched were licensable. 10 residency interviews and i was never asked that.

Is there a way that I would be able to check for any licensing issues beforehand?