Please help (rather unique situation)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flight24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a 3.99 GPA (it's actually a 4.0 at my university, but I received a B+ in a community college class that I took while I was in high school). But I have a 26 Q (9,9, 8 on BIO, ran out of time, but was still completely shocking to me since I have gotten either As or A+ on all my science classes). I applied last year to one school (it's an MD program that's connected with our undergraduate university) and unfortunately didn't get in. I applied just to one school for multiple reasons: 1) I had super late application, so I didn't want ruin my chances at other schools 2) low MCAT score 3) I thought I had a great shot at my Alma matter MD program (very unique program because only students from my university gets a shot at this program).

So I'm sort of at crossroads because I know I can do better on the MCATs, but honestly I don't want to go through that hell of restudying for 3 months for this test again. I have been studying on and off for the MCATs and quite frankly don't feel like retaking this beast for whatever reason. At this point, I have been thinking about simply trying my chances with this mcat score and applying to as many realistic schools as possible. I'm thinking about applying broadly to DO and MD schools. Being a California resident, I guess I maybe at a more disadvantage for MD schools.

What do you guys think about my chances? Also how do you guys determine what schools are more conducive to accept CA resident?

Thanks and I really appreciate the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Might the program you applied to last year give you greater consideration if you submit earlier?

If you were a resident of a state with a lenient state MD school, with a high GPA and strong ECs, you might get an acceptance. But you are highly unlikely to be considered at OOS med schools unless you have unmentioned modifying factors to your application. As you stand, you'd be a strong contender for many DO med schools though, assuming usual and customary ECs.

I know the thought of retaking the MCAT is unbearable right now. But you might change your mind if getting an MD acceptance is important enough to you. Did you get specific feedback from the program you applied to about what improvement would be necessary for greater consideration?

Hi I have a 3.99 GPA (it's actually a 4.0 at my university, but I received a B+ in a community college class that I took while I was in high school). But I have a 26 Q (9,9, 8 on BIO, ran out of time, but was still completely shocking to me since I have gotten either As or A+ on all my science classes). I applied last year to one school (it's an MD program that's connected with our undergraduate university) and unfortunately didn't get in. I applied just to one school for multiple reasons: 1) I had super late application, so I didn't want ruin my chances at other schools 2) low MCAT score 3) I thought I had a great shot at my Alma matter MD program (very unique program because only students from my university gets a shot at this program).

So I'm sort of at crossroads because I know I can do better on the MCATs, but honestly I don't want to go through that hell of restudying for 3 months for this test again. I have been studying on and off for the MCATs and quite frankly don't feel like retaking this beast for whatever reason. At this point, I have been thinking about simply trying my chances with this mcat score and applying to as many realistic schools as possible. I'm thinking about applying broadly to DO and MD schools. Being a California resident, I guess I maybe at a more disadvantage for MD schools.

What do you guys think about my chances? Also how do you guys determine what schools are more conducive to accept CA resident?

Retake the MCAT.

I went 0/2 acceptance with a 30 on the MCAT to 10k academic scholarship with a 34. The dean, during our MS2 review, asked "oh, what'd you do to change your application to get accepted?" I was like "uh... went from a 30 to a 34... didn't you accept me?" Yeah. retake your MCAT. Rape it. Get your choice of schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake the MCAT.

I went 0/2 acceptance with a 30 on the MCAT to 10k academic scholarship with a 34. The dean, during our MS2 review, asked "oh, what'd you do to change your application to get accepted?" I was like "uh... went from a 30 to a 34... didn't you accept me?" Yeah. retake your MCAT. Rape it. Get your choice of schools.

I agree! You can do much better than a 26 if you've gotten nothing but A's There's almost no way you'll go down in score, and just taking it for the 2nd time you'll feel more confident going in. With a 4.0, anything above a 30 on the test, average to above average EC's, and a good/sincere personality, you'll def get an acceptance.

Best of luck!

Might the program you applied to last year give you greater consideration if you submit earlier?

If you were a resident of a state with a lenient state MD school, with a high GPA and strong ECs, you might get an acceptance. But you are highly unlikely to be considered at OOS med schools unless you have unmentioned modifying factors to your application. As you stand, you'd be a strong contender for many DO med schools though, assuming usual and customary ECs.

I know the thought of retaking the MCAT is unbearable right now. But you might change your mind if getting an MD acceptance is important enough to you. Did you get specific feedback from the program you applied to about what improvement would be necessary for greater consideration?

The program is not rolling so applying late didn't harm me. Unfortunately, they declined to meet with me for whatever reason (they claimed that they couldn't discuss what went on in the committee meetings).

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but would I even be considered a re-applicant to any school that I had never applied to? Like I mentioned, I didn't apply to any official medical school other than the MD program co-joined with our undergrad university. Technically speaking no one has seen my application except that one program right?

Retake the MCAT.

Thanks for the reply. Would I be considered as a re-applicant to any school unless I apply to that one program that rejected me in the last cycle? I mean MD schools might straight out reject me because of the 26, but I don't think I will be asked questions like "why should we accept you now...what did you change in your application...etc"

I agree! You can do much better than a 26 if you've gotten nothing but A's There's almost no way you'll go down in score, and just taking it for the 2nd time you'll feel more confident going in. With a 4.0, anything above a 30 on the test, average to above average EC's, and a good/sincere personality, you'll def get an acceptance.

Best of luck!

Yeah I think that maybe the most logical thing to do. At the same time I don't want to be considered late. If I retake my MCATs like early August, and submit my app in June, the earliest my app will be ready with the new score is early September.

BTW, thanks for the inputs everyone!

A 4.0 science student (unless from podunk university) should not struggle to score a 30 - you just need more practice.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but would I even be considered a re-applicant to any school that I had never applied to? Like I mentioned, I didn't apply to any official medical school other than the MD program co-joined with our undergrad university. Technically speaking no one has seen my application except that one program right?
If you didn't apply through AMCAS, then you won't be considered a reapplicant for AMCAS purposes. Whether you are for other schools will depend on how they frame the question. If you did use AMCAS, then you will be a reapplicant. But some schools define "reapplicant" as only referring to a another application to their school.

As long as you've made improvements to your application, EC- and/or stats-wise, being a reapplicant doesn't put a scarlet letter on your forehead for the vast majority of schools.

Regardless, a higher MCAT score could get you consideration from OOS schools which I don't think you will have with an MCAT score of 26.