^^Care to explain^^

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swiss Medical

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just lookin at the UTSW's website and looking for the reuirements it takes to get a BS in nutrition, when I stumbled on the medical school page. I poked around for a bit then I saw this:

567Untitled.png

I was pretty surprised when I saw this. Why is the range of GPA and MCAT so spread out? If a person has a 3.1, 24Q, and gets admitted....:eek: I'm just so stoked right now...

Does anyone have any ideas....The same thing is on tyhe TCOM website, but is quite the opposite, where the highest mcat received is 37 and a 3.5 gpa (3.48 bcpm)....I am not really surprised though because its tcom:rolleyes:, but sw...HOW!

Members don't see this ad.

what makes you think the 24 also had the 3.1?

please think before posting. based on your recent history i feel this is a lesson you need to learn asap

It could also be an MCAT of a 41 with a GPA of a 3.1 or a 4.0 with a 24. Most likely the low GPA and MCATs are people with this as their only deficiency and have some outstanding credentials as a whole candidate.

Members don't see this ad :)
what makes you think the 24 also had the 3.1?

please think before posting. based on your recent history i feel this is a lesson you need to learn asap

hmm....I didnt really think of that, but STILL and what do you mean by recent history??

Also, they might have gotten in as part of JAMP.

Of course, it's all speculation at this point. Maybe the people with the poor GPA or MCAT got in because they saved a village in Africa?

It's highly unlikely for someone with both a 3.1 and a 24 MCAT to get accepted, but possible. That's just the range of scores/GPAs that the accepted students have had. Not that surprising. And not an extremely spread out range, given that for a GPA only a quarter of possible scores are represented, for example.

I was just lookin at the UTSW's website and looking for the reuirements it takes to get a BS in nutrition, when I stumbled on the medical school page. I poked around for a bit then I saw this:

567Untitled.png

I was pretty surprised when I saw this. Why is the range of GPA and MCAT so spread out? If a person has a 3.1, 24Q, and gets admitted....:eek: I'm just so stoked right now...

Does anyone have any ideas....The same thing is on tyhe TCOM website, but is quite the opposite, where the highest mcat received is 37 and a 3.5 gpa (3.48 bcpm)....I am not really surprised though because its tcom:rolleyes:, but sw...HOW!

Its possible that that person who got a 3.1 did not also get the 24Q and visa versa. Additionally, there are a lot of other factors that go into admitting someone beside scores and grades, and are you sure that this is for those who were admitted and not just those who applied. Additionally, since the range goes so low, even though the average is the mean (as opposed too the median) is 3.7 the median (50th percentile) will probably be slightly higher.

567Untitled.png

Yeah, when I read this post, I thought the same thing: ^^^care to explain?!?^^^

Its possible that that person who got a 3.1 did not also get the 24Q and visa versa. Additionally, there are a lot of other factors that go into admitting someone beside scores and grades, and are you sure that this is for those who were admitted and not just those who applied. Additionally, since the range goes so low, even though the average is the mean (as opposed too the median) is 3.7 the median (50th percentile) will probably be slightly higher.

This was the 2010 class profile................and I did forget about JAMP :smack:

300 posts and you're asking how it's possible that a single person got in to med school with a 24 MCAT, or with a 3.1 GPA. You fail the internet

i would say it is too difficult to look at those numbers without any context.

how do you know the applicant(s) that made up those range weren't a 3.1/41 and a 4.00/24?

those statistics also specify they're looking at undergraduate gpa. the 3.1 applicant may have proved him/herself with a graduate gpa or in some other way making him/her a stronger applicant.

also look at the average. i would say few and far between would actually get admitted with a 3.1/24 without a pretty outstanding backstory.

300 posts and you're asking how it's possible that a single person got in to med school with a 24 MCAT, or with a 3.1 GPA. You fail the internet

maybe I should have given it more thought...

People do get accepted into medical schools even with a dismal GPA coupled with a horrendous MCAT score (https://www.aamc.org/download/157598/data/table25-a-mcatgpa-grid-asian-0810.pdf.pdf) - but it's not common.

From the chart, 1 Asian guy out of 100 who applied with a ~2.9 GPA and ~19 MCAT from the years 2008-2010 got accepted into a US MD school.

I'd bet it's even more uncommon at a top school like Southwestern.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hiding-eyes.jpg

Haha, jk Swiss. Others have answered this question pretty well. I doubt that the person with the 3.1 had the 24 MCAT. It's marginally possible, though. There are so many parts of a person's med school application that you can't discount someone based on numbers alone.

FFS, this kid needs to go away.

Aww, don't be mean. You learn by asking questions. By the time this kid starts college, he'll know more about med school admissions than his advisors just from SDN. I wish I'd gone in armed with that kind of knowledge. I'd be a much stronger applicant.

Hiding-eyes.jpg

Haha, jk Swiss. Others have answered this question pretty well. I doubt that the person with the 3.1 had the 24 MCAT. It's marginally possible, though. There are so many parts of a person's med school application that you can't discount someone based on numbers alone.

I KNOW THAT. That is the mantra of almost everyone on this forum...I just did not think a schl like SW could accept anyone that low...or even survive the screening..

FFS, this kid needs to go away.

You come to my thread, me a kid, and tell me to go away......

noodle-shooting-o.gif

you are a kid. i hate to keep flaming you, because you've been catching a lot of flak lately, but do you draw this much negative attention to yourself IRL?

you are a kid. i hate to keep flaming you, because you've been catching a lot of flak lately, but do you draw this much negative attention to yourself IRL?

Bro, you mad? We are on an internet forum. deal with it.

Swiss, you're doing it wrong.

Here's a little brotip:

Heed the wisdom of the countless others who have advised you and just lurk the forums until you are actually in a position to start seriously thinking about applying to med school. Be a sponge, soak up the immense amount of knowledge that is already contained on these boards, stop asking silly questions, and please, for the love of god, stop giving others advice. If you follow these easy steps to success, people will stop thinking you are a complete tool, girls will rip off their clothing when you walk in the room, and you will finally become a real man. True story.

Here's a little brotip:

Heed the wisdom of the countless others who have advised you and just lurk the forums until you are actually in a position to start seriously thinking about applying to med school. Be a sponge, soak up the immense amount of knowledge that is already contained on these boards, stop asking silly questions, and please, for the love of god, stop giving others advice. If you follow these easy steps to success, people will stop thinking you are a complete tool, girls will rip off their clothing when you walk in the room, and you will finally become a real man. True story.

Alright then.

do i seem mad, cupcake?

Quite possibly my new (and first) sig

Here's a little brotip:

This is very true.

Does anyone remember tennisball? He too went this path...he reached 3000 posts though

More annoyed than mad....and I do not know why?? I posted to ask a question and the second I submitted, you came at me...:mad:

some of your posts basically look like
He5bX.jpg

You'll probably be better off spending more time reading/listening/absorbing info in accordance with the earlier brotip.

He5bX.jpg

You'll probably be better off spending more time reading/listening/absorbing info in accordance with the earlier brotip.

Swiss, you could also get some meme lessons from Paul.

He5bX.jpg

Whatever. I have heard.

Only 4% of pre-meds make it to med school :scared: OH MY GAWD! We're DOOOOMED! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

hahahahaha this made me laugh

Jeez, there really seems to be a strict hierarchy on these forums. I feel like such a little kid whenever I read what the SDN veterans have to say. I've been lurking on this site since like tenth grade and I'll be a college freshman in the fall. I'm almost afraid to ask questions because I don't want the other SDNers to think I'm stupid, annoying, immature (etc). It's weird because I don't know any of you IRL but I've come to respect certain users. Then I get off the computer and kind of laugh at myself because it's stupid to care about what a bunch of people on an internet forum think of you. Then I get back on here and totally care again, haha. To the older SDNers, do you remember when you first signed up and you might have asked some stupid questions? Did you feel intimidated about posting? Or were all of you just badasses from the beginning ;)

There's actually a thread called the Answers to your Stupid Questions Thread where you can ask stuff you know has been beaten to death but you can't find the answer to in your searches, for whatever reason

Long time lurker, just started posting after 3 years of college. Mostly because EVERY question I ever had, a million pre-meds had before me. A good use of the search tool usually ended up with my question answered and linked to better questions others asked. The veterans are just a little tired of rehashing for those who are too lazy to use the search function ;), can't blame them.

Just use the search function and the bounty that is sticky's. With that said, if you have a question that you really can't find anywhere, free game! Hope this helps.

Jeez, there really seems to be a strict hierarchy on these forums. I feel like such a little kid whenever I read what the SDN veterans have to say. I've been lurking on this site since like tenth grade and I'll be a college freshman in the fall. I'm almost afraid to ask questions because I don't want the other SDNers to think I'm stupid, annoying, immature (etc). It's weird because I don't know any of you IRL but I've come to respect certain users. Then I get off the computer and kind of laugh at myself because it's stupid to care about what a bunch of people on an internet forum think of you:laugh:. Then I get back on here and totally care again, haha. To the older SDNers, do you remember when you first signed up and you might have asked some stupid questions? Did you feel intimidated about posting? Or were all of you just badasses from the beginning ;)

Well, unfortunately, that is how we all learn: by asking questions. If I have an itch to ask a question during class, I will wait about 10 secs for someone to ask it, but it that passes, I ask it myself.

Well, unfortunately, that is how we all learn: by asking questions. If I have an itch to ask a question during class, I will wait about 10 secs for someone to ask it, but it that passes, I ask it myself.

Protip: don't be the guy in class that always asks questions in class. Go to a professor's office hour or wait until the end of class.

Trust me, you don't want to be that guy.

Jeez, there really seems to be a strict hierarchy on these forums. I feel like such a little kid whenever I read what the SDN veterans have to say. I've been lurking on this site since like tenth grade and I'll be a college freshman in the fall. I'm almost afraid to ask questions because I don't want the other SDNers to think I'm stupid, annoying, immature (etc). It's weird because I don't know any of you IRL but I've come to respect certain users. Then I get off the computer and kind of laugh at myself because it's stupid to care about what a bunch of people on an internet forum think of you. Then I get back on here and totally care again, haha. To the older SDNers, do you remember when you first signed up and you might have asked some stupid questions? Did you feel intimidated about posting? Or were all of you just badasses from the beginning ;)

:thumbup:

Yup this is correct

Protip: don't be the guy in class that always asks questions in class. Go to a professor's office hour or wait until the end of class.

Swiss (and everyone else) -- definitely listen to this advice. Asking questions during lecture on a regular basis will just annoy other students, who will feel like you are wasting valuable lecture time. This is how I feel about chronic question-askers anyway. This is a big difference from high school, where everyone is encouraged to ask any question they have at almost any time.

Good advice :thumbup:.

There are no stupid questions... until you get to college.

the low gpa might be those that actually took graduate courses and did well like 3.8 - 4.0 but it did not factor in their undergrad gpa.

Everyone hates the kid who wants every single electron diagrammed or hydrogen discussed . Do not get in discussions or arguments with you professor that take more than 5 minutes. Your wasting your time and your peers time. I dont know how many times a stupid pre-med will ask a really in depth question about some isolated part of the material.....If it was really THAT important the professor would have covered it in the lecture. Just go to office hours if you want to show off. Dont waste my time....I'm trying to play snake in the back of the class room and cannot be disturbed!

BTW, my use of the word "annoy" in my above post is probably understated in many cases. Some of my friends in some classes have used some pretty violent language towards these obnoxious students (not to their face of course). I may have partaken in this as well. It really is bothersome, especially in larger classes.