Loma Linda OMS Chief 1st assist Log

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LLU OMS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Loma Linda OMS program is often overlooked when applying. Here is some info on cases the graduating chiefs got to cut.

Cover 3 hospitals – LLU Medical Center, Riverside County, Arrowhead County

Attendings:
Dr. Herford MD DDS FACS - Chair, Dr. Dean MD DDS FACS - Program Director, Dr. Stringer DDS, Dr. Tanaka DDS, Dr. Elo DDS, Dr. Moreta DDS, Dr. Roberts MD

Scope:
1st assists at LLU cut at least ½ the case.
There were 3 chiefs, I was able to get 2 of their log info.

Here are Graduating Chiefs Logged cases as 1st Assist:

Chief #1:

Orthognathic:
127 BSSO
70 leforts
98 Genioplasties

Trauma:
110 mandibles
22 orbits
25 zmc
5 frontal sinus
10 leforts

Pathology + recons:
50+

Dental alveolar:
110 implants
+++++ thirds

Cosmetic:
>10 rhinos
30+ others?

Chief #2
Orthognathic:
>120

Trauma:
190 Mandibles
25 orbits
30 leforts
30 zmc

Pathology + reconstruction:
30+

Dental alveolar:
60+ implants
+++++ Thirds

Cosmetics:
50+

The numbers speak for themselves.
If you have any more questions about Loma Linda OMS program PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Loma Linda OMS program is many times overlooked when applying. Here is some info on many cases the graduating chiefs got to cut.

Attendings:
Dr. Herford MD DDS FACS - Chair, Dr. Dean MD DDS FACS - Program Director, Dr. Stringer DDS, Dr. Tanaka DDS, Dr. Elo DDS, Dr. Moreta DDS, Dr. Roberts MD

Scope:

Chief #1:

Orthognathic:
127 BSSO
70 leforts
98 Genioplasties

Trauma:
110 mandibles
22 orbits
25 zmc
5 frontal sinus
10 leforts

Pathology + recons:
50+

Dental alveolar:
110 implants
+++++ thirds

Cosmetic:
>10 rhinos
30+ others?

Chief #2
Orthognathic:
>120

Trauma:
190 Mandibles
25 orbits
30 leforts
30 zmc

30+

Dental alveolar:
60+ implants
+++++ Thirds

Cosmetics:
50+

Does this program, like the dental school, only accept christians (specifically SDA)?

Does this program, like the dental school, only accept christians (specifically SDA)?

http://www.llu.edu/assets/dentistry/documents/admissions/ddsprofile.pdf

neither requires you to be SDA or even christian...i'd imagine it's an advantage in applications to the dental school and basically a non-factor in applications to the residency programs (given how few people these types of programs select)

you probably have to agree to adhere to the rules of their covenant for both though (no alcohol, premarital sex, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Loma Linda OMS program is many times overlooked when applying. Here is some info on many cases the graduating chiefs got to cut.

Attendings:

Scope:

Chief #1:

Orthognathic:
127 BSSO
70 leforts
98 Genioplasties

Trauma:
110 mandibles
22 orbits
25 zmc
5 frontal sinus
10 leforts

Pathology + recons:
50+

Dental alveolar:
110 implants
+++++ thirds

Cosmetic:
>10 rhinos
30+ others?

Chief #2
Orthognathic:
>120

Trauma:
190 Mandibles
25 orbits
30 leforts
30 zmc

30+

Dental alveolar:
60+ implants
+++++ Thirds

Cosmetics:
50+

you can see why people say LLU blows the other California programs out of the water in terms of how much you do and the scope of what you do

http://www.llu.edu/assets/dentistry/documents/admissions/ddsprofile.pdf

neither requires you to be SDA or even christian...i'd imagine it's an advantage in applications to the dental school and basically a non-factor in applications to the residency programs (given how few people these types of programs select)

you probably have to agree to adhere to the rules of their covenant for both though (no alcohol, premarital sex, etc.)

Religious practices cannot be enforced in residency programs because it is government funded.

Religious practices cannot be enforced in residency programs because it is government funded.

touche...so the code of conduct (or whatever it's called) only applies to the dental school then

It would be interesting to see what chiefs get to cut at other programs.

Last edited:
LLU was on my short list of programs I wanted. When it came to the application process it was just too much.

The application was very tedious and expensive.

Even after I was offered an interview, I then was required to fill out another application for the Med school and pay an ADDITIONAL $70-80.

I just bowed out at that point.

True, but the medical school can still make its choices however it wishes. Your religion still matters at llu if you're applying for the 6 year, or so it seemed to me. The entire focus of my interviews with the med school at llu were my religious preferences, and I've heard rumors the presidency is upset with the medical school for nixing applicants they ranked high on religious grounds.

I agree with you though, excellent program and strong faculty. Clearly the standout program in california IMO, and I ranked it high myself.

Loma Linda OMS program is often overlooked when applying.

Now just wait a minute. Loma Linda overlooked me. :laugh:

Any applicant that has even done a tiny bit of research in programs knows that llu is top notch. I really don't think it's that hidden at all.

Plus you get to have dreday.

I was very impressed with the program and the faculty. From my small amount of knowledge about the west coast programs LLU is a cut above the rest. It was head and shoulders above the other cali programs. The school is not looking for a certain religion but they are looking for morally and ethically competent residents. I had a hard time when it came to ranking not to rank them as a #1 or 2 spot. The residents there were pretty cool guys and seemed to get along well. The only think I saw was that it appeared the 4 and 6 year guys were on such different paths that they didnt know eachother all that well. Which is to be expected since they are off to med school for two years. The area is affordable for Cali standards and close enough to whatever you would like to do within a short driving distance. The procedures that are performed and the quantity is up there with any of the "golden" residencies. They get to do some really cool things at Arrowhead ( i could be way off here on the name) where a ENT residency once existed but is no longer around. The OS guys get to do thing with the ENT attending that you wont get to do anywhere else. Its one of the programs that flies under the radar that most people should look closer into, but dont because of the religious aspect. They only interview a hand full of people so when it comes to ranking and you really like them you have a good shot. Im only speaking from limited knowledge from my interview days. I didnt extern there but I would highly recommend it if possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
For OMS they DON'T care about your religion. Like I said before, I think only 2 current residents are SDA. They are more interested that your moral, ethics, character, and desire for service are in line with theirs. With that being said, you will never be pressured to become SDA. No one will hammer their beliefs on you. Most students are chill and not very different from students that you would find at other medical schools. Medical school is only 2 years and 3 months at LLU. All you gotta do is fly under the radar anyways....

Real estate is cheap in LL and surrounding areas. Several residents own a house out here and rent out a room. So they are making money while in school and not wasting money on rent for 6 years.

Last edited:
LLU was on my short list of programs I wanted. When it came to the application process it was just too much.

The application was very tedious and expensive.

Even after I was offered an interview, I then was required to fill out another application for the Med school and pay an ADDITIONAL $70-80.

I just bowed out at that point.

I believe that they changed it this year. It will not be as redundant.

Now just wait a minute. Loma Linda overlooked me. :laugh:

Any applicant that has even done a tiny bit of research in programs knows that llu is top notch. I really don't think it's that hidden at all.

Plus you get to have dreday.

:thumbup:

For OMS they care about your religion. Like I said before, I think only 2 current residents are SDA. They are more interested that your moral, ethics, character, and desire for service are in line with theirs. With that being said, you will never be pressure to become SDA. No one will hammer their beliefs on you. Most students are chill and not very different from students that you would find at other medical schools. Medical school is only 2 years and 3 months at LLU. All you gotta do is fly under the radar anyways....

Real estate is cheap in LL and surrounding areas. Several residents own a house out here and rent out a room. So they are making money while in school and not wasting money on rent for 6 years.

Everyone in the medical school is incredibly nice. I don't think that I will ever met nicer faculty, administration and staff. They will also be very accommodating. During 1st year my co-resident and I requested a cadaver to ourselves for anatomy review, surgical skills etc and they gave it to us. Very different than other schools.

Cost of attendance here is in line with the UCs. Unlike the other UCs you only pay for the amount of school that you attend. i.e. you dont have to pay for all 4 years of medical school....

For OMS they care about your religion. Like I said before, I think only 2 current residents are SDA. They are more interested that your moral, ethics, character, and desire for service are in line with theirs. With that being said, you will never be pressure to become SDA. No one will hammer their beliefs on you. Most students are chill and not very different from students that you would find at other medical schools. Medical school is only 2 years and 3 months at LLU. All you gotta do is fly under the radar anyways....

Since residents are making money while in residency, does that mean moonlighting is allowed? Also, is caffiene allowed on the premises?

Since residents are making money while in residency, does that mean moonlighting is allowed? Also, is caffiene allowed on the premises?

Caffeine is allowed. The nurses make coffee all the time on the wards. The OMS clinic also has coffee. Loma Linda as an institution does not sell it. Everyone on campus and in the hospital drinks coffee though.

I don't remember ever being told not to moonlight. I don't moonlight but some residents have.

Last edited:
I was very impressed with the program and the faculty. From my small amount of knowledge about the west coast programs LLU is a cut above the rest. It was head and shoulders above the other cali programs. The school is not looking for a certain religion but they are looking for morally and ethically competent residents. I had a hard time when it came to ranking not to rank them as a #1 or 2 spot. The residents there were pretty cool guys and seemed to get along well. The only think I saw was that it appeared the 4 and 6 year guys were on such different paths that they didnt know eachother all that well. Which is to be expected since they are off to med school for two years. The area is affordable for Cali standards and close enough to whatever you would like to do within a short driving distance. The procedures that are performed and the quantity is up there with any of the "golden" residencies. They get to do some really cool things at Arrowhead ( i could be way off here on the name) where a ENT residency once existed but is no longer around. The OS guys get to do thing with the ENT attending that you wont get to do anywhere else. Its one of the programs that flies under the radar that most people should look closer into, but dont because of the religious aspect. They only interview a hand full of people so when it comes to ranking and you really like them you have a good shot. Im only speaking from limited knowledge from my interview days. I didnt extern there but I would highly recommend it if possible.

There is an ENT on our service. OMS residents run his clinics and are 1st assist on his surgeries.

Everyone in the medical school is incredibly nice. I don't think that I will ever met nicer faculty, administration and staff. They will also be very accommodating. During 1st year my co-resident and I requested a cadaver to ourselves for anatomy review, surgical skills etc and they gave it to us. Very different than other schools.

Cost of attendance here is in line with the UCs. Unlike the other UCs you only pay for the amount of school that you attend. i.e. you dont have to pay for all 4 years of medical school....

wait, what!?! which programs are running that scam?

...checked UCLA as an example: http://www.dentistry.ucla.edu:8000/...dency-programs/oral-and-maxillofacial-surgery

Financial Arrangement: "A" salary for 4 of 6 years; please note, students are required to pay tuition for the 2 years at the School of Medicine

When I interviewed at UCSF OMS residents payed for 3.5 to 4 years of medical school. I don't think that it has changed. Correct me if I am wrong.

looks like that's still the case

couldn't track down the financial page right away, but the curriculum lists 4 years of medical school, so I would expect they charge you for ~4

http://omfs.ucsf.edu/omfs-residency.html

Year 1 – 4 Months OMFS, Then 1st Year Medical School
Year 2 – 2 Months OMFS, Then 2nd Year Medical School
Year 3 – 3rd Year Medical School, 4 Months OMFS
Year 4 – 4th Year Medical School, 4 Months Anesthesia, 4 Months OMFS
Year 5 – General Surgery (PGY 1), 4 Months OMFS
Year 6 – Chief Resident OMFS

looks like that's still the case

couldn't track down the financial page right away, but the curriculum lists 4 years of medical school, so I would expect they charge you for ~4

http://omfs.ucsf.edu/omfs-residency.html

Out of the 4 years they are in medical school, it states that they are 18 months on service. From what I remember they still had to pay for medical school during those 18 months. From what I understand, they were just "dismissed" from medical school during the time on service.... kinda like externships etc. You still pay tuition. That is what I understood from speaking to the residents at the time. I could be wrong.

For completeness sake:

Chief #1:

TMJ
Arthroscopy: 70
Open joints: ??
Total Joints: 8

Chief #2:
Arthroscopy: 80
Open joints: 20
Total Joints: ??

I purchased a 3 bedroom house close to campus. My mortgage is 1350. I rent one of the rooms out for 550/month....Over 6 years.... you can do the math. Add to that the equity gained on the house.

Reactions: 1 user