School list help! 3.9+ GPA, 38S, MD/PhD

Started by ps9891
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Damn. Go you.

Question: would you be willing to say how you are handling doing a Fulbright while trying to apply MD/PhD and what you'll do come interview season?

Good luck!

EDIT: (in the sense that since you're abroad, how are you going to pay for and make the time to come back for interviews)
 
Well it's going to be tough but I'm going to try to schedule as many interviews as I can in November/December and just come back for a 3-4 week period. My other option was to try to get interviews before I left, but frankly, I just submitted my AMCAS way too late for that. It's going to be expensive and I'll probably miss out on some interview opportunities if scheduling isn't flexible enough, but.. *shrug* what other choice do I have?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What's the difference between clinical volunteering and hospital volunteering?

Umm well I actually meant hospital volunteering when I said clinical.. not sure why I wrote clinical. Probably because that's pretty much my only clinical experience haha. But I think hospital volunteering is just one type of clinical volunteering you could do. IM(personal)O, I would say clinical volunteering is any volunteer work in a healthcare setting where you interact with patients and/or healthcare providers, and the hospital is just one example of a place where you can get clinical volunteering.
 
🙁 oh with applicants like you thrown into my application season, my chances are decreasing left and right haha. if i had your numbers, i would apply to an exclusive list like yours. actually, even without your numbers, i am applying quite top heavy...

regarding shadowing, are you able to do that now at all?
 
I was considering trying to do some last minute shadowing... but at most I would only have been able to do a week or so (assuming I could find someone and start right away). I'm leaving the country in a week, so....yea. Too late now? 🙁 Also, I thought it might look even worse to have a shadowing experience that was obviously just to mark it off a checklist (i.e. not a significant experience/time)?

I've read elsewhere that shadowing is a sort of "unwritten requirement," but I really really hope not.

How much do numbers matter once you've gotten an interview?
 
How much do numbers matter once you've gotten an interview?

It depends on the school, but in general, numbers will matter throughout the application process.

For MD/PhD, candidates are generally given a lot more leeway in terms of their ECs. What really matters for these programs is the quality and duration of your research experiences (don't use this as an excuse not to get clinical experience, however).
 
My brother had no clinical experience and ~50 hours of shadowing (all done during the month before he submitted his AMCAS - definitely looked like checklist-ing), and he's at Duke now for MSTP 🙂 The lack of clinical experience is okay for MD/PhD. While the lack of shadowing is not ideal, there's not much you can do about it now anyway (unless you want to shadow while abroad, which might not be easy/ might give you a different perspective than shadowing in the US). Checklisting is better than nothing, although I don't know by how much.

From what I've heard, most people who get interviewed are going to have pretty similar numbers, and at that point, matching your research interests with the school's matters more.
(also MSTP interviewees get treated REALLY well compared to regular MD interviewees...not very relevant but just a random observation haha)