School List Help - 522 MCAT / 3.9 GPA / Low Service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AndrewWiggins22

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have started making a list of schools for this upcoming application cycle, but I am really having trouble determining which schools are targets versus reaches. If anyone has good insight into what a realistic list of 25-30 schools should look like, it would be incredibly helpful.
  1. 3.90 cGPA and 3.85 sGPA
  2. 522 MCAT - 130 Chem/Phys // 132 CARS // 129 Bio/Biochem // 131 Psych/Soc
  3. Ohio ORM
  4. The Ohio State University
  5. 450-500 hours as a patient care tech by application time + 40 hours from a phlebotomy externship (Likely 1,000+ by matriculation)
  6. 1800 research hours with one poster presentation. A manuscript and a second poster presentation are coming this summer
  7. 20 hours family medicine + 25 hours pediatric cardiac ICU
  8. 150 hours hospital wayfinder, 50 hours Red Cross blood driver
  9. 150 hours as a peer mentor, 400 hours in a gen chem prep lab, 600 hours running my own landscaping business
  10. A few university scholarships
  11. First-generation doctor
This is the list I am working with right now:
1777593479294.png
1777593507999.png
1777593522503.png
 
Welcome to the forums.

You're starting with stats-matching, yes? I appreciate the short descriptions for each program, but they tell nothing about your mission fit with the school. I feel like replacing the school names with names of potential people/celebrities you want to "date/marry" (reach), "be close chums to vacation together" (target), or "just be friends" (safeties). You should replace it with the specific things that each program offers that will fulfill your purpose as a physician (or at least a residency candidate).

That said, where's your non-clinical service orientation activities? I don't think being a hospital wayfinder or Red Cross blood transport fills this box like food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, legal support, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation. You must have 150 hours or your application might be screened out at most schools. Many of your "prestige" schools will want at least 250 hours so you are competitive in this category with your peers.