Why do you want to be a doctor? [Not to help people]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UnbrokenThread

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am interested in hearing from the people whose reason(s) for wanting to become a doctor do not start, and end with, "wanting to help people".

Personal experiences?
Money and Prestige?
"Because why not?"
Nut-and-bolts?

If you have many reasons I am interested to hear them.
 
I am interested in hearing from the people whose reason(s) for wanting to become a doctor do not start, and end with, "wanting to help people".

Personal experiences?
Money and Prestige?
"Because why not?"
Nut-and-bolts?

If you have many reasons I am interested to hear them.

Any reason the many, many times this has been asked before does not suffice for your purposes?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wanted to help people ever since this personal experience I had. Too long too share here. Then one day I realized that I was broke as f|_|ck and was sick of protesting sesame street, so I decided I would pursue a career in health care. When I heard about all the money they made, the job security, and how fast it was expanding, I felt it was perfect. So I was like, why not? just become a doctor. Also, since I don't have any luck with finding love partners, I felt the white coat would be the perfect lure to satisfy my desires.
 
Does respect count as prestige?
I like being respected when I'm at a authoritative position and I shows respect to people who earn/deserve it.
 
inb4moneywomenpower/scarface clip

because I just can't see myself in any other profession except pornstar or secret agent/bad-ass detective
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
make-it-rain-guys.gif


shower.gif

ducktales.jpg


tumblr_lpk2bzRP9W1qm5jvwo1_500.gif


spacer.gif
 
inb4moneywomenpower/scarface clip

because I just can't see myself in any other profession except pornstar or secret agent/bad-ass detective

If I was a CIA agent on a date I'd probably be thinking this:

I want to tell her so badly that I'm a CIA agent because then she'll think im a total badass, but I just can't.... In fact I walk around the street knowing im a CIA agent badass, and I want to tell everyone because i'll be so swag.. but I'm not supposed to let anyone know, arghh so annoying.

THat's why I think I might consider FBI agent instead if medicine doesnt work out
 
If I was a CIA agent on a date I'd probably be thinking this:

I want to tell her so badly that I'm a CIA agent because then she'll think im a total badass, but I just can't.... In fact I walk around the street knowing im a CIA agent badass, and I want to tell everyone because i'll be so swag.. but I'm not supposed to let anyone know, arghh so annoying.

THat's why I think I might consider FBI agent instead if medicine doesnt work out

Yeah, thats my only qualm too. Though there is a subtle swagger knowing you could really f*ck somebody up if you really wanted to.

Being a detective or agent a la NCIS:LA/ (new) Hawaii Five-O would be awesome too. Maybe thats why Burn Notice/NCIS:LA/Hawaii Five-O/Justified are my favorite shows
 
Listening to sophomore pre-meds talking, about "money and prestige", and how that's not important to them, and their reasons for wanting to be a doctor...I'm almost embarrassed for them.
 
Listening to sophomore pre-meds talking, about "money and prestige", and how that's not important to them, and their reasons for wanting to be a doctor...I'm almost embarrassed for them.

Thinking the same thing. Young, naive pre-meds have no idea what it means to be a pre-medicine student. The term is thrown around casually, especially at social gatherings. Seriously, come back in a few years when you're knee-deep in organic chemistry, microbiology, immunology, physics, MCAT studying, ECs, volunteering, and shadowing, and tell me what your motivation is. If you can work really hard for petty reasons, then more power to you. I personally need to be inspired to work my tail off every day. My da always told me to just work hard and the money would be there. Yes, as a doctor, you will have money and power and prestige. But that's true for people in law, finance, real estate, higher education, and other professions. You should be in medicine because you want to heal sick people and take the pain away. Period.
 
Thinking the same thing. Young, naive pre-meds have no idea what it means to be a pre-medicine student. The term is thrown around casually, especially at social gatherings. Seriously, come back in a few years when you're knee-deep in organic chemistry, microbiology, immunology, physics, MCAT studying, ECs, volunteering, and shadowing, and tell me what your motivation is. If you can work really hard for petty reasons, then more power to you. I personally need to be inspired to work my tail off every day. My da always told me to just work hard and the money would be there. Yes, as a doctor, you will have money and power and prestige. But that's true for people in law, finance, real estate, higher education, and other professions. You should be in medicine because you want to heal sick people and take the pain away. Period.

Eh I feel like when you're at your point in your college career where you're knee deep in ochem, physics, MCATs, and etc., conversations regarding why you're doing medicine disappear and people start respecing you for your drive as a premed rather than question your purposes for being one. I guess another way to put is that if you're still in the premedical game by the time you're an upperclassman, whatever your motivation may be, it's obviously enough to make you want to pummel through problem set after problem set night and day to make things work.

That's why I feel like sometimes reason doesn't matter honestly. It's the same for everyone (I want to help, I want to heal, etc.) -- but how much that reason drives you is the more important factor that's usually missed in a simple PS.
 
Listening to sophomore pre-meds talking, about "money and prestige", and how that's not important to them, and their reasons for wanting to be a doctor...I'm almost embarrassed for them.

This is why from the very beginning, I never told anyone that I was "pre-med". I knew that anything I said at that point was virtually worthless and ill-informed.

Even now I don't talk about my future career decision all that much to other people.
 
Thinking the same thing. Young, naive pre-meds have no idea what it means to be a pre-medicine student. The term is thrown around casually, especially at social gatherings. Seriously, come back in a few years when you're knee-deep in organic chemistry, microbiology, immunology, physics, MCAT studying, ECs, volunteering, and shadowing, and tell me what your motivation is. If you can work really hard for petty reasons, then more power to you. I personally need to be inspired to work my tail off every day. My da always told me to just work hard and the money would be there. Yes, as a doctor, you will have money and power and prestige. But that's true for people in law, finance, real estate, higher education, and other professions. You should be in medicine because you want to heal sick people and take the pain away. Period.

Agreed. The thing about "prestige and status"....is that it's all a social concept. Are people really driven to spend the remainder of their lives devoted to a profession because of what other people supposedly think of it?

Say you're rounding at 3 am, you haven't slept in 24 hours, 2 of your patients die, and you have to talk to their families....well at least Joe Blow drove by the hospital and thinks that what the white coats are doing in there is very prestigious!
 
Last edited:
This is why from the very beginning, I never told anyone that I was "pre-med". I knew that anything I said at that point was virtually worthless and ill-informed.

Even now I don't talk about my future career decision all that much to other people.

Ha me too, when people asked what I'm up to in college I'd say I was a Sociology major (which was true).
 
Simple.

1. I like fixing things.
2. I like fixing things FOR people.
3. I like medical science.
4. I like having a lot of responsibility.
5. I don't believe suffering has a place or purpose.

= DOCTOR
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) Prestige
2) Money
3) Job Security


I'm planning on going into Pathology or Radiology to avoid whiners aka patients.
 
Is it lonely up there on your pedestal?

Seriously. Why do people always question the motives of others? Just worry about yourself. Or are you worried that this person with the "wrong" motives is going to get in instead of you?

People who go in for the wrong reasons are in for a rude awakening, and there is a chance they will regret the decision. Or maybe they won't. Maybe they will find what they truly like about medicine, or they were able to snag that coveted high-paying competitive specialty. Either way, it doesn't really matter to you.

People choose medicine for the "wrong" reasons all the time. And that will continue.
 
Seriously. Why do people always question the motives of others? Just worry about yourself. Or are you worried that this person with the "wrong" motives is going to get in instead of you?

People who go in for the wrong reasons are in for a rude awakening, and there is a chance they will regret the decision. Or maybe they won't. Maybe they will find what they truly like about medicine, or they were able to snag that coveted high-paying competitive specialty. Either way, it doesn't really matter to you.

People choose medicine for the "wrong" reasons all the time. And that will continue.

👍
 
It's simple really:

1. I like science
2. I want to help people

End of story.

This is the answer to the thread. however, responses have become so trite and repeated over the years that it is necessary to embellish that motivation on personal statements and in interviews by providing a sound background and story to support your candidacy. like Dr. Freedman said, "Always be aware of where you come from and where you stand as your motivation goes. Unless you have a 40 mcat and a 4.0, you MUST be aware of your uniqueness and story as a candidate for medical school."
 
I want to be a doctor to finance my true scientific ambition: uniting man and squirrel as an new ueber-species that will come to dominate Earth. 😀

No seriously, though, I am fascinated by human beings (yeah, even - nay, especially - jerks), I'm intellectually interested in medicine itself, and I think it's the best available way to combine these interests. I get warm fuzzies from helping people, too, but everybody who's not a sociopath likes helping people.

During the apocolypse nobody votes to cannabalize the doc.

This is actually one of my secondary reasons, although it's more about making sure my friends and family have some healthcare even if the system fails completely.
 
Last edited:
Come on brah....that was below the belt 👎

don't worry, he says that snarky garbage to everyone
kid is a teenager in his second month of freshman year, he needs time to mature. then again, who knows? maybe he'll be stuck in his arrogant douchebag without any justification phase for the rest of his life.
 
Because I like to take things apart, see how they work, then (attempt to) put them back together.

All my toys met the same fate, usually about a week after I got them.
 
don't worry, he says that snarky garbage to everyone
kid is a teenager in his second month of freshman year, he needs time to mature. then again, who knows? maybe he'll be stuck in his arrogant douchebag without any justification phase for the rest of his life.

If you're going to make this a pissing contest, that's fine by me. Seriously, you can point out one snarky post of mine and, in return, I can easily point out five of yours.

If you're a condescending, misogynistic, unhelpful, rude, spiteful, hateful prick in real life as well as online, you're going to need MUCH more than a couple of interviews at a few schools to get you through this cycle. By the way, how's that going for you brah? 🙄
 
Why is "I want to help people?" always seen as an inadequate reason on SDN? I understand that, in the PS and during interviews, it needs to be more developed and thought out; however, I feel that it is one of the more sound reasons for wanting to become a physician. Certainty, I feel it is a better motivation than money and prestige.*

In my case, personal experiences early in my life (0 - 14ish) exposed me to a heavy dosing of trauma, sickness, disability, poverty and inequality. Surviving that and, unfortunately, seeing so many others fail to, has resulted in a passion to come back to the situations I grew up living through and make a difference in the lives of those still living in them; ideally, my goal is to have an impact on both a micro (each individual patient) and macro (policy and public health) level.

On the micro level: The physicians, of all different specialties (one more than others), who have treated me throughout the years saved and changed my life. This may sound cheesy to some; but, while the majority of the people around me were saying "You can't, don't even try" (still do), many of the doctors I had been seeing long term (multiple severe and/or chronic illnesses) were encouraging and pushing me to reach higher, with one in particular having the most profound impact and giving the strongest support. In other words, they (he) said "You can" and have, at times, gone out of their way to help me get there. Though the state of managed care is making it more difficult to achieve, the doctor - patient relationship can be so incredibly powerful: it allows for the trust needed to heal what ails the patient in the present time and, if done over a longer period of time, can heal the patient in ways that transcend the diagnosis written down on the chart. If I can utilize that trust, that relationship, and the clinical knowledge I will gain in such a way that I can do for even one patient what has been done for me, that is all I could ever ask for in life.

On the macro level: Having grown up being directly impacted by it, I have a strong desire to dedicate a large portion of my career towards fighting and trying to lessen/eliminate health inequality, disparity and anything else that blocks access to care or makes it more difficult to find (among other problems in healthcare unrelated to this). I want, in some way, to help make it so that nobody has to go for months without medical attention simply because they can't afford to see a physician (or because their insurance won't pay enough); I want to make it so that no child has to watch their mother or father or sister or brother nearly die in front of them again because the co-pays on that loved one's necessary medication were just too expensive to afford that month; I want to keep insurance companies, either private or government run, from deciding that a CT for a stroke patient they have never evaluated is not indicated or that a hospitalization for a suicidal patient they have not talked to once is unnecessary; and I want to be the one at the forefront of health policy, service and economic research and analysis figuring out the best way to make all this happen without defaulting to the extremes of unregulated capitalism or complete socialism.

*This is not to say that one should not care about money or, to a certain extent, prestige. There is nothing wrong with wanting to make a good living, have a nice house, be able to afford those vacations you've always wanted to take, be able to send your kids to a private school, etc and to be in a position where you don't have to worry about where you're going to get the money to pay for food, electric, rent/mortgage, etc. Heck, after being in training for 7+ years, not demanding that one have this is absurdity. I just don't believe that, for the majority of people, this is good enough reason in and of itself (in the absence of any other reason). Maybe some people can be happy working in a profession that they dislike if it pays enough; but I have seen so many people, both doctors and those working in other well-paying fields, hate their lives because they could not tolerate their job. As I said, it's OK to care (a lot) about money, as it's certainly important; but, even (especially?) as an MD/DO you will be spending -- for a significant portion of your life -- the majority of your weekdays (and sometimes weekends) working and, either that reason be wanting to help people or a love of medical science or a need to be intellectually stimulated, I hope that there is something about it that you look forward to and makes it worth it.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you're going to make this a pissing contest, that's fine by me. Seriously, you can point out one snarky post of mine and, in return, I can easily point out five of yours.

If you're a condescending, misogynistic, unhelpful, rude, spiteful, hateful prick in real life as well as online, you're going to need MUCH more than a couple of interviews at a few schools to get you through this cycle. By the way, how's that going for you brah? 🙄

lmao okay kiddo
hypocrites gonna hypocrite 🙄
 
Why is "I want to help people?" always seen as an inadequate reason on SDN? I understand that, in the PS and during interviews, it needs to be more developed and thought out; however, I feel that it is one of the more sound reasons for wanting to become a physician.

I share this sentiment. Every other motive is better met in another field or a therapist's couch.
 
Simple.

1. I like fixing things.
2. I like fixing things FOR people.
3. I like medical science.
4. I like having a lot of responsibility.
5. I don't believe suffering has a place or purpose.

= DOCTOR

You must be young. Just you wait.
 
Why is "I want to help people?" always seen as an inadequate reason on SDN?

You explain the reason why this is inadequate rather nicely in the rest of your post. Simply saying "I want to help people" is fairly trite and non-specific. A lot of professions are in the business of helping people. Why not be a firefighter, or a policeman, or a teacher, or even a customer service representative? What is it about medicine that makes it the best profession in which to serve others?
 
If you're going to make this a pissing contest, that's fine by me. Seriously, you can point out one snarky post of mine and, in return, I can easily point out five of yours.

If you're a condescending, misogynistic, unhelpful, rude, spiteful, hateful prick in real life as well as online, you're going to need MUCH more than a couple of interviews at a few schools to get you through this cycle. By the way, how's that going for you brah? 🙄

👍 👍

haters gonna hate gigan