Withdrawals (WDR or W) for medical reasons and application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onelastpuff23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My experience is a bit different from yours because my medical withdrawals (a semester and then one additional class the next semester) were due to an illness which was curable and I no longer have to deal with. But here is what I found in this process. I was able to explain these in the additional information sections of each secondary (do you want the admissions committee to know anything else about you) and I wasnt asked about it a single time in interviews so it didnt seem to be an issue (and Ive gotten into two MD schools so far). So if you have a good and reasonable explanation they dont seem to have a problem with it. From what I know about Crohns for each person it is different but many are able to manage it for quite long periods of time, so if you can explain how you are taking care of it, and what you would do were you to have a bad attack during medical school, I would assume they would be quite understanding. Thats just my two cents! GOOD LUCK!

Have you tried eating gluten and dairy free?

I think you have a legitimate shot, although I do see your concerns. i don't think they are supposed to discriminate on the basis of illness, but I can see how they might consider such factors anyway. I think what you get on the MCAT could be a big thing, especially given your GPA is very med school mediocre. The publications sound good.

I think you will be able to explain your withdrawls well within essays, but I think you want to make sure you are a great applicant in all other ways still under your control, such as the MCAT.

I think you have enough of a shot that applying is definitely worth it.