2012-2013 Texas A&M Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Check here if you have ever had a misdemeanor or felony charge. In the interest of full disclosure, please expound on ANY felonies and/or misdemeanors. If in doubt as to whether an offense should be disclosed because you believe the charge to be irrelevant or expunged, it is better to disclose the offense on the application. Avoid some of the common excuses the committee has heard from people who fail to disclose, such as:
1. My attorney told me I didn't have to disclose the criminal conduct or disciplinary actions.
2. I didn't think the prior conduct had anything to do with the profession.
3. I didn't think the disciplinary action, arrest, charges or convictions was still on my record.
4. I didn't think it was subject to disclosure because I received a deferred sentence/judgment.
5. I had the offense expunged from my record.
Please be advised that a false response may be grounds for denial. Use the space below to briefly explain:

Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition. (3500 character maximum).

The honor code for the Texas A&M College of Medicine is: "A Texas A&M medical student is a professional who exhibits leadership, honesty, integrity, compassion, respect and self-discipline." Please briefly discuss what activities or personal attributes demonstrate best that you would be a good custodian of our honor code (3500 character maximum).

Describe any circumstances indicative of some hardship, such as, but not limited to, financial difficulties, personal or family illness, a medical condition, a death in the immediate family or educational disadvantage. (Do not leave blank. If not applicable, please so indicate. The character limit on this essay is 3500).

OPTIONAL QUESTION: List the area (or areas) of medicine that appeals to you and briefly explain. (Limit your explanation to 50 words or 250 characters for each area of interest you list.) Do not leave blank. If not applicable, please so indicate.

The following section is for MD/PHD applicants only.

Briefly describe any new research accomplishments. (Do not leave blank. If none, please indicate.

Briefly discuss any other new information or experiences that you would want the MD/Ph.D program committee to know. (Do not leave blank. If none, please indicate)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not too bad though. Got this sent in, waiting on one more TMDSAS transcript.
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is quiet... This school is pretty awesome!

Any idea when we'll hear back following II submission (OOS)?

First invite last year (per last year's thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823447&page=4) went out on July 11th. First OoS II was July 13th I think.

Anybody that's submitted their secondary, does the BAMF page show that they have your primary too? Mine just says "true" next to the secondary and secondary payment boxes, the primary and MCAT boxes are still blank.

Their page:

Also, there can be a 4-6 week delay between the time that TMDSAS transmits your application and when TAMHSC COM processes the application (depending on application volume).

I have a hard time believing it would take them more than a week this early in the cycle, but I don't know the whole system. Speaking realistically, I doubt most ADCOMs are even back together after their summer break.

Last edited:
First invite last year (per last year's thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823447&page=4) went out on July 11th. First OoS II was July 13th I think.

Anybody that's submitted their secondary, does the BAMF page show that they have your primary too? Mine just says "true" next to the secondary and secondary payment boxes, the primary and MCAT boxes are still blank.

Their page:

I have a hard time believing it would take them more than a week this early in the cycle, but I don't know the whole system. Speaking realistically, I doubt most ADCOMs are even back together after their summer break.

Yeah man mine says the same thing. I think they just haven't been processed yet.

Their page:

Mine says the same thing. Submitted the secondary a couple weeks ago.

This secondary question could be answered with the same essay i used for one of the optional essays on the TMDSAS primary. This is kind of frustrating :mad:

Their page:

Mine still says the same thing. Only Secondary and Secondary payment received but not the MCAT or Primary

I have heard they don't start reviewing til middle of June, but that is just hearsay.

Stupid question about "areas of medicine"...are they asking us to describe interest in specialties like surgery/pediatrics/neurology/etc? Or private practice/research/academic?

Stupid question about "areas of medicine"...are they asking us to describe interest in specialties like surgery/pediatrics/neurology/etc? Or private practice/research/academic?

They're related (e.g., do you want to practice academic surgery or private practice surgery?). Try to answer the question integrating the two aspects. Or, if you're unsure, just keep it general (e.g., explain why you're interested in a specialty, eliding whether you're interested in academic or private practice).

Members don't see this ad :)
This secondary question could be answered with the same essay i used for one of the optional essays on the TMDSAS primary. This is kind of frustrating :mad:
That is very aggravating. Do you think it would hurt just to copy/paste the same reply to literally a repeat prompt?

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Yes, it's true. If you look at your status, it'll say True when you have completed a requirement. I have true next to my secondary app and fee, but was confused why True hadn't shown up next to my primary.

I called early last week and asked if there was a problem, and they told me they had not downloaded any primary apps from TMDSAS yet. Waiting sucks, le sigh.

Ugh, I hate that first essay. I need to sit down and plan. Stupid essays...I wish ATM and UTSW didn't have secondaries. :(

Last edited:
Yes, it's true. If you look at your status, it'll say True when you have completed a requirement. I have true next to my secondary app and fee, but was confused why True hadn't shown up next to my primary.

I called early last week and asked if there was a problem, and they told me they had not downloaded any primary apps from TMDSAS yet. Waiting sucks, le sigh.

Primary column now says True for me. MCAT scores still blank though.

Hey guys I am applying through TMDSAS for all the Texas schools except TCOM, I just took my MCAT in June. I think I did in my best ability. I am currently with a 3.98 GPA according to the AMCAS, and 3.97 according to TMDSAS. I am also in the honors program here at my university. I have done 3 separate undergraduate research. one of them is my current thesis research, and i am also doing a medical research internship at Texas A&M during this summer. I have also been doing many community service projects consistently, i shadowed for 2 months in the local clinic. i am always shooting for excellence, but it is becoming unbearable stressful because of my unrealistic asian parents. people that are already in medical school or currently applying with me, please give me your assessment on if I have a chance in A&M
P.S i also finished all the required application, just waiting on my scores and letters to be sent from my premed committee.

Thanks guys :)

Does anybody have a MCAT score showing yet? I have true on everything else, but nothing for the MCAT

Read the description underneath. It wont tell you about the status of the MCAT on the secondary application page. It tells you to go to TMDSAS to do that.

how did you guys attack the honor code essay? I'm having trouble trying to make all those concepts gel with one another.

Mine was blank, but my status just changed to "under review" today.

Does anybody have a MCAT score showing yet? I have true on everything else, but nothing for the MCAT

My MCAT score is showing up as TRUE, but my app is still PENDING. If it matters, I resent my scores to TMDSAS recently through the MCAT site because it wasn't showing up. It had been showing up on TMDSAS but I was paranoid and resent it. Maybe that helped?

sup, brochachas? If you haven't yet called A&M, I recommend you do. Not because you need to, but just to experience their ridiculously fast phone system. I had to call due to a BAMF password kerfuffle and I was expecting delays and automation. Instead, a very nice lady on the other side immediately answered on the first ring and I was on my way in <2 minutes. I like the vibe down there!

how did you guys attack the honor code essay? I'm having trouble trying to make all those concepts gel with one another.

It was difficult for me to write w/o sounding cliche. Maybe explain how robust your understanding is of one of the honor code values by explaining your philosophy behind it, while maybe sprinkling in a life story or two to give it some pizazz.

Last edited:
How did you guys tackle the third essay? Do you think they want to see how you have dealt with hardship as a test of your personality? Because of course I've had personal or family illness. But I can't tell if they want this to be only extreme cases of hardship (e.g. I've been homeless and raised all of my siblings myself) or minor hardship (e.g. I had chickenpox with it when I was 5 and I handled it with grace and integrity). So you can go either way with this question. Basically, if I haven't had to deal with a terrible disaster, should I just leave it blank? Thanks!

Last edited:
How did you guys tackle the third essay? Do you think they want to see how you have dealt with hardship as a test of your personality? Because of course I've had personal or family illness. But I can't tell if they want this to be only extreme cases of hardship (e.g. I've been homeless and raised all of my siblings myself) or minor hardship (e.g. I had chickenpox with it when I was 5 and I handled it with grace and integrity). So you can go either way with this question. Basically, if I haven't had to deal with a terrible disaster, should I just leave it blank? Thanks!

I wouldn't leave it blank. Just be honest: something like "Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with extreme hardship in my life, but one time....[talk about "minor hardship"]...It was hard for my family and I because... and through the experience I learned..." No one has a perfect life, so I'm sure they would love to hear how you've dealt with a stressful situation in the past, even if it wasn't really life or death.

Existence is pain if one thinks about it long enough. Volumes of literature and poetry have been written exploring the bounds of human psychological anguish. Everyone suffers, we just do it in different ways. If you can effectively convey that, I bet it fits the bill better than your bout with chicken pox. It takes a good deal of thought, however, and a deft touch to not come across as douchey. But if you can explain why your suffering (whatever form it takes) helps you better empathize with others, I'm sure the essay will be a positive for your app!

My app says pending still...I submitted it the last few days in June. My mcat portion is blank as well...should I give A&M a call?

My app says pending still...I submitted it the last few days in June. My mcat portion is blank as well...should I give A&M a call?

I submitted mid-June, and mine still says "pending" without any MCAT scores yet. Just FYI.

Mine says TRUE for everything, but it still says pending

Thanks!.....ok mine now says true for all but pending

My application is under review and I have not take my MCAT yet. What does this mean?

I am now also under review, all of my boxes are marked true though. I had to call last week to inquire why my MCAT was marked true and the lady looked it up and told me the status had just not been changed yet. Like the previous poster said, their phone system is scary quick! One ring and a real person answers!

Application under review! One of my top choice TX schools.

seems to be samish timeline as last year. I read last years school specific and this was about the time they went under review (7/7 7/8) with the first interviews rolling out around 7/11

Mine says under review. It happened today. As of last Friday (3 days ago), all elements in the table became True (was missing MCAT scores) and the bottom was saying Pending. So if that is your status as of now, you can expect a under review pretty quick.
I had everything submitted and verified in TMDSAS mid May though and the secondary for that school was done on May 14.
Good luck to you all. What do you guys think of the school. I have mixed feelings, not because of the school, but because of a student who I know and who got there. I can't believe she did. She was dumber than my dog (and I knew her within a manager capacity in a scientific setting, nuf' said). Again I don't want to generalize, but if I need treatment and she is my Dr, I just walk out of the door.

I really like the school, it is very new and all the staff I have met there seem to be very friendly. The reason your friend may have gotten in is because they seem to care a lot more than your average school about volunteering and helping people versus the hard numbers. If you look at their averages they are lower than the rest of the Texas schools for GPA and MCAT but after touring the campus and talking to many people there I believe this is because they prefer passionate people who may or may not have the stats. (This is just my personal opinion of the place, nothing to quote)

ts173,
thanks for the input, but I think there is a misunderstanding. First I certainly do not believe that numbers necessarily represent how smart you are and the truth is that I do not know the numbers of this individual. However, she was a nurse, and not being able to make a simple dilution calculation or a simple concentration calculation (how much product you need to reach this concentration), is terrible. There was a high school student at the same time and he did the calculations and explained to her how it was to be done.
Now I don't want to be judgmental but the truth is that when I learned that this person made it into med school (assuming she had decent enough numbers), I was baffled. Again, it was only two situations, but still, for a nurse, I find that difficult to understand that this type of things are challenging, given that a nurse is supposed to do that fast and well everyday.
Anyway thanks for the info regarding the school. I am sure that it is a nice place and certainly would not judged by a student who made it. I just wanted to get some info on the environment, the students and faculty/staff/facility, the atmosphere and so on.
Glad you enjoy it. Hopefully it will be the same for me. Thanks again.

Talked to Samantha in the admissions office and she infromed me that at times the status on our end has errors. Sometimes peoples application will say pending when it is really complete. She said that viewable page source is more for their use than it is for ours.

Mine says "under review" and I am sure they still don't have my MCAT scores....just took the MCAT for the first time this past friday and still recovering:scared:

Mine says "under review" and I am sure they still don't have my MCAT scores....just took the MCAT for the first time this past friday and still recovering:scared:

Yessir. It should take a month or so until the MCAT comes online. Be sure to release your scores to TMDSAS as soon as it does, tho, because you'll be flirting w/ that 15 August date. Apparently it's pretty important to have your app in by then.

Hey sinuous thanks for the advice....excuse my ignorance but whats the aug 15 deadline? I thought i had all my deadlines in check.

Hey sinuous thanks for the advice....excuse my ignorance but whats the aug 15 deadline? I thought i had all my deadlines in check.

I've just heard (and others please chime in if I'm mistaken) that chances of admission plummet precipitously after 15 August. The official deadline is typically much later, maybe October or November, but I think that's only nominally.

If there is any truth to this fabled 15 August bit, try your darnedest to get your MCAT score into the schools' hands ASAP. It took a couple weeks between when mine were sent to TMDSAS and when they popped up at aTm. LOL BMW VW USA TX.

Status
Not open for further replies.