2012-2013 Texas A&M Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, May 15th is upon us - is anyone hearing about any waitlist movement, here or throughout Texas, yet? Good luck to all of us on the waitlists, we've still got time.

Members don't see this ad.

nothing yet.... this wait is killing me. has anyone started next year's application?

nothing yet.... this wait is killing me. has anyone started next year's application?

The wait is horrible!! And yes, I've started the application. Holding off to submit til after the first of June...

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a call from Leila Diaz this afternoon with an offer, so movement is certainly upon us! I'm accepting as of now, but have some other waitlists I'm on as well.

Good luck to everyone! This is definitely a tough time for us and for the admissions people!

I got a call from Leila Diaz this afternoon with an offer, so movement is certainly upon us! I'm accepting as of now, but have some other waitlists I'm on as well.

Good luck to everyone! This is definitely a tough time for us and for the admissions people!
Congrats doorbell!!! I'm sure it is very challenging from the admissions side also. We're just waiting for one call, they may be making a few.

Last edited:
Thanks y'all! :) Hope you get some good news in the next few weeks!

Doorbell, what were the track options they gave you?

No options, Leila just said that my 'campus designation' is Temple for all 4 years. And yes, she is incredibly sweet! I blurted out, "ARE YOU SERIOUS?" when she said she was making me an offer. I felt really embarrassed but she was so nice and easy to talk to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard or seen much, LoneStar12, here or in the other Texas schools' discussions. I've got my fingers (and toes) crossed that we might see more movement as 6/1 approaches and then afterwards, but I don't know how realistic my hopes are not having been through this before. Good luck though - we've still got time!!!

Has anyone heard anything about recent waitlist movement?

I know there's been movement at other Texas schools, but I haven't heard anything about here...

Now that I'm getting more familiar with this process (?!) it seems like although a school would like to fill a vacated spot as quickly as possible, they never know when one is going to be vacated. So, if there's a process of evaluation (e.g., AdCom meeting, review of updated waitlist, etc.) that precedes an offer to someone on the waitlist, then I would imagine there can be some delay depending on how often that process takes place. Or maybe I'm making things up in my head as I hope for the call...

Some schools in Texas offer acceptances the week or week before orientation. I know two people who this happened to. Seems cruel doesn't it. I imagine from here on out the acceptances are a real light trickle though. Probably only 1 to 3 people will be accepted at each school.

There has been 2 accepted in the last couple of days...

I was accepted off of the waitlist last Wednesday for the Temple/Round Rock track. Does anyone know if there is a Facebook group for the class of 2017? I have searched and cannot find one. I am trying to get some housing recommendations! Good luck to other waitlisters. I talked to a doctor who went to A&M and she said when she started, someone dropped out after the first day of classes. Her friend was invited to join the class after the school year had already begun! It does seem cruel, but they can only offer spots if they have them.

Congrats Ladily! And thank you for the encouraging story - I've heard similar stories, so I guess if it's going to work out for one or more of us, it will one way or another.

I also need housing advice. I am rotating in Temple in July. Anyone wanna sublet to me? :)

The wait is horrible!! And yes, I've started the application. Holding off to submit til after the first of June...

Hi SarahBellum1 - have you submitted your application or are you holding until the waitlist process is over/further along?

Hey, I was actually accepted off the wait list at Texas Tech a few weeks ago. But I think if I hadn't been, I would be submitting right around now or in a week or 2.

Hey, I was actually accepted off the wait list at Texas Tech a few weeks ago. But I think if I hadn't been, I would be submitting right around now or in a week or 2.
That is awesome!!! Congrats!

Has anyone heard of any recent movement in the alternate list? Now that June 1st has passed I'm assuming there will be little movement, but then again, all each of us needs is one spot to open up.

How did you guys tackle the third essay? Do you think they want to see how you have dealt with hardship as a test of your personality? Because of course I've had personal or family illness. But I can't tell if they want this to be only extreme cases of hardship (e.g. I've been homeless and raised all of my siblings myself) or minor hardship (e.g. I had chickenpox with it when I was 5 and I handled it with grace and integrity). So you can go either way with this question. Basically, if I haven't had to deal with a terrible disaster, should I just leave it blank? Thanks!

yea I've been in a debate over this essay for a while. I have crohn's disease and had to have a couple emergency surgeries, had a huge abscess that spanned my ascending and transverse colon, blah blah blah etc. I talked to one of my LOR writers, who used to be on TCOM's adcom, and he said to not even mention it because it looked like a weakness in adcom's eyes, like I couldn't handle med school because of it. But I really don't have any other hardships. I don't know if I should write about it or not? :confused:

yea I've been in a debate over this essay for a while. I have crohn's disease and had to have a couple emergency surgeries, had a huge abscess that spanned my ascending and transverse colon, blah blah blah etc. I talked to one of my LOR writers, who used to be on TCOM's adcom, and he said to not even mention it because it looked like a weakness in adcom's eyes, like I couldn't handle med school because of it. But I really don't have any other hardships. I don't know if I should write about it or not? :confused:

Well, I'm not on any adcom, but I think your LOR writer is wrong. If you write a compelling essay about how you dealt with it, didn't let it effect you in spite of the additional burden it put on you, or something like that, I think it'd work.

Stupid question about "areas of medicine"...are they asking us to describe interest in specialties like surgery/pediatrics/neurology/etc? Or private practice/research/academic?
I think most people do not know which area they want to be specialized. It is too early for most pre-med students. I think it is ok to say I need more time to know what I want to do. Any other opinion?

That's what i did. I got accepted at all interviews i had. Didn't interview at A& M though. so its definitely ok not to know. In fact it would be suspicious to say you know, unless you have some extensive background to back it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.