2012-2013 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH
This should be a true autobiographical statement. Topics to be included are family, childhood, primary and secondary school years, undergraduate years, and, if applicable, what you've done since completing your bachelor's degree. You should also discuss the motivational factors which led you to a career in medicine including any disadvantages or obstacles which might put your accomplishments into context. A repeat of your AMCAS statement will not be acceptable.

Please note: if you are applying to the MD/PhD program, please include why you are seeking the MD/PhD training at UCSD.

Note that the autobiographical sketch is limited to 6000 characters.

2. (OPTIONAL) ESSAY FOR APPLICANTS INTERESTED IN PRIME-HEq
PRIME - Heq - PRogram In Medical Education - Health Equities: The goals of PRIME - HEq are: To increase the number of clinicians, research scientists, and advocates addressing minority health and health disparities; to create a diverse community of scholars that develop, transmit, and apply new knowledge in minority health and health disparities; and to promote a multidisciplinary community/university partnership to eliminate health disparities. The program utilizes existing opportunities to allow enrollees to obtain a master's degree emphasizing minority health and health disparities, tailored to student's interest (MPH, MBA, MAS, MS).

Applicants indicating an interest in PRIME are required to write an additional essay detailing their qualifications and reasons for interest in the program.

Please describe your interest in the PRIME-HEq program. Topics to include are longitudinal experiences that you've had with underserved communities, including the type of community that you've worked with and your level of involvement. Additionally, you should discuss the length of time that you've spent working in these communities. (4800 Characters)

3. (OPTIONAL) ESSAY FOR APPLICANTS INTERESTED IN
MASTER'S OF ADVANCED STUDIES (MAS) IN CLINICAL RESEARCH

Applicants to the UCSD School of Medicine may apply to a program which combines the M.D. degree with a Master's of Advanced Studies in Clinical Research. This program is appropriate for students who are interested in a career combining medical practice and oversight of clinical research. The Master's degree can be completed in one year, and is typically pursued between the third and fourth year of medical school. Students accepted into this MD-Master's program will be supported with a stipend and partial tuition support during the year of the Master's degree.

Applicants indicating an interest in MAS Clinical Research are required to write an additional essay detailing their qualifications and reasons for interest in the program.

Please describe your interest in the MAS Clinical Research program. Topics to include are your previous experience with clinical and/or translational research, your role within the research group, and what you envision for a career that includes clinical and/or translational research. A letter of recommendation from the individual supervising your previous experience is helpful but not required. (4800 Characters)

4. Enter a brief description of your future career goals (400 Characters)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hometown school and my #1. Also my biggest reach. Here's to hoping I'll get to go home...

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone PM me the secondary prompts from prior years?

Just got a notice they received my primary, and that screening for the secondary can take a "possible 6-8 weeks."

Just got a notice they received my primary, and that screening for the secondary can take a "possible 6-8 weeks."

I think they're just covering themselves for the inevitable rush of applications. Last year people were receiving secondaries on 6/30 (but last year AMCAS apps went out slightly earlier as well)

Emailed as well, just waiting to get me hands on that secondary.

We probably shouldn't start prewriting the autobiographical sketch, right? Or has that been on all apps for forever?

Anyone else get teased by another UCSD email telling you to acquire a username?

Was so excited to get started on the secondary...

Anyone else get teased by another UCSD email telling you to acquire a username?

Was so excited to get started on the secondary...

Yep, just entered into the system. All the information is for the 2012 application, I think they're taking their time :laugh:

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the secondary invite!

I can't figure out how to log in haha :( I can go and change my password, but after that I still get an incorrect user/pass combo!

Same was about to ask if anyone else is having the same problem :\

Yep, just entered into the system. All the information is for the 2012 application, I think they're taking their time :laugh:

Good luck everyone!

So, I received an email invite to the secondary. But I think there's a glitch. Not only is there no status check page, I have to reset my password to get into UCSD's site. Anyone else having this problem too? I don't want to email them yet since it's past 5pm and the site might be ready and moving by tomorrow morning.

So, I received an email invite to the secondary. But I think there's a glitch. Not only is there no status check page, I have to reset my password to get into UCSD's site. Anyone else having this problem too? I don't want to email them yet since it's past 5pm and the site might be ready and moving by tomorrow morning.

Maybe the sending out of secondary invites was a similar glitch. jk.

Not sure if we're having the same problem, but I can't log in either. I'm gonna wait and give them some more time, since they've already had some email trouble today.

Congrats on the maybe-secondary!

Not sure if we're having the same problem, but I can't log in either. I'm gonna wait and give them some more time, since they've already had some email trouble today.

Congrats on the maybe-secondary!

Thank you lostintranscrip! Good luck to everyone else out there too!

Does anybody know how many secondaries they send out and how many they interview from that group?

"Unfortunately, with the holiday tomorrow and a planned vacation day for me on Thursday, I will not be able to investigate this until Friday morning."

:(

Bad news fellas,

"Well, I've gotten at least 10 responses from applicants trying to access our secondary application saying they are getting a message saying "Unable to validate your PID/username or PAC/password"

I think it is safe to say this is a pattern, and NOT an isolated problem to any individual applicant.

We tested this with "dummy" log-ins, we thought all was working, but obviously not. This is a new problem to us…all those that I've checked appear to be "in the system" but somehow the Single Sign-On won't accept you. Unfortunately, with the holiday tomorrow and a planned vacation day for me on Thursday, I will not be able to investigate this until Friday morning.

For those of you that CAN log in and see the secondary application, all seems to be working just fine…go ahead an work on the application.

For those of you that CAN'T, I apologize. I do understand that most of you are eager to complete your secondary applications…Let me assure you that a) this delay will not negatively impact your chances of getting an interview invitation and b) we will gladly extend the secondary application submission deadline to correspond with the date on which you first get access to the application."

For any of you who have been able to log in, who has the prompt? anyone care to post the essay(s)?

Thanks

Dear Applicants,

The pattern seems to be that applicants that can log in are “old” PID’s (either they applied last year and got a PID then, or they were UCSD undergrads that get to keep their previous PID)

One applicant contacted the help desk and was told that it's a simple "activating" delay in that the system takes at least 24 hours to activate the log-on information, and that they should check back on Thursday.

So, we’ll leave it at that for now, it may be that we don’t have to do anything but wait.

Brian

we should be good tomorrow!

Maybe it'll be working this time tomorrow, I know there was the autobiographical sketch (your life before college) but I couldn't find the other prompts from last year.

Has the autobiographical sketch been on their secondary for a couple years and is it therefore reasonable to get started on it?

If someone who does have access to the prompts could post them on here that would actually be amazing!

Do you guys think they actually read our primaries or were we just screened in with our numbers and (at least for some of us) CA residency status?

Do you guys think they actually read our primaries or were we just screened in with our numbers and (at least for some of us) CA residency status?

Not sure. But if, I had to guess, I think they read them because it took a day between the time they received our primaries to the time we got the secondary invite. Unless their computers were down, I would think they could have done that instantly (like UC Davis).

If the secondary is due one month after getting it, will it not be considered complete until the LOR's are received from AMCAS? I'm concerned because I got my secondary today.. and I told my writers a deadline of August 1st. That doesn't leave me much wiggle room. Do they have to receive the letter for it to be complete?

If the secondary is due one month after getting it, will it not be considered complete until the LOR's are received from AMCAS? I'm concerned because I got my secondary today.. and I told my writers a deadline of August 1st. That doesn't leave me much wiggle room. Do they have to receive the letter for it to be complete?

My understanding is that they want all the supplemental materials in by that one month deadline, including the LORs.

I'm in the same situation as you. I suppose I'll be paying my writers a visit next week...

Anyone applying to UCSD PRIME-HEq? I'm interested in the program, but I'm worried that applying to it will hurt my chances at a regular MD acceptance.

I was worried that if I weren't considered a good candidate for the PRIME program, it would be a strike against me in regular MD admissions.

I was worried that if I weren't considered a good candidate for the PRIME program, it would be a strike against me in regular MD admissions.

The way I understand it, you are considered separately for the PRIME program. So UCSD can accept you even if the PRIME program does not. Especially if you consider the PRIME program only accepts about 10 students each year.

In response to the PID problem... I made mine late last night and it originally didn't work when I tried to login. However, I tried accessing the secondary again today and it lets me in! It's probably just a delay in getting us access, so most people's should be working now! :)

I went to UCSD, so I already have a PID, but it wouldn't let me in for a while either. If you get in, make sure you select 2013-2014 for the year (although it's 2012-2013 cycle) and try using the incognito window in Google Chrome if it gives you a redirect error. That's what I've been using. Hopefully it's working for everybody by now.

Prompt is the same as last year and has a 6000 character limit.

Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

This should be a true autobiographical statement. Topics to be included are family, childhood, primary and secondary school years, undergraduate years, and, if applicable, what you've done since completing your bachelor's degree. You should also discuss the motivational factors which led you to a career in medicine including any disadvantages or obstacles which might put your accomplishments into context. A repeat of your AMCAS statement will not be acceptable.
Please note: if you are applying to the MD/PhD program, please include why you are seeking the MD/PhD training at UCSD.
Note that the autobiographical sketch is limited to 6000 characters. Type your essay below:

i got my log in invite, but I can't see my secondary application... huh? Where do I even go after making an account?

Does anybody know how many secondaries they send out and how many they interview from that group?

They gave out ~1,900 secondaries a few years ago so I think the screening is pretty intensive. I'm so excited to get this secondary. I'm OOS and this is my top choice. Keeping my fingers crossed for an interview.

Anyone have any luck paying? It says the e-pay thing is down for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.