2012-2013 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just attended the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology and heard William Mobley (UCSD neuroscience chair) advocate for government support of neuroscience. The guy is fantastic, and very personable. Yet another reason I want to go to UCSD. Please let me in!

I just attended the President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology and heard William Mobley (UCSD neuroscience chair) advocate for government support of neuroscience. The guy is fantastic, and very personable. Yet another reason I want to go to UCSD. Please let me in!

Alright. I'll put in a good word for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when the interview dates are? And for MSTP? I can't find it on their website..

Anyone know if there is a way to check if they've received our letters of recommendation through AMCAS?

Got a secondary today! Didn't expect with one 3.8/33/OOS...don't they screen heavily?

Got a secondary today! Didn't expect with one 3.8/33/OOS...don't they screen heavily?

They do screen hard and you realize you are in the top 15% of applicants with those stats, sooo congrats!

Got a secondary today! Just curious, anyone know about what percentage of applicants receive secondaries? I remember it was something like 50-60% but I can't find it anywhere.

Got a secondary today! Just curious, anyone know about what percentage of applicants receive secondaries? I remember it was something like 50-60% but I can't find it anywhere.

Ehh.. not definitive by any means.. but I also don't think you tried very hard to find an answer.

They gave out ~1,900 secondaries a few years ago so I think the screening is pretty intensive. I'm so excited to get this secondary. I'm OOS and this is my top choice. Keeping my fingers crossed for an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if they send rejection notifications if you didn't pass the screen? I am OOS, and my GPA is fine, but my MCAT... not so much. this was one of my more out of reach schools that i figured was worth a shot. and, as i have yet to receive a secondary, i feel like i am not gonna get one.

INTERVIEW! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. So pumped

Did you guys receive an email saying they received your primary or do they just send you a secondary?

Also, the first interview day is September 18th.

Hey San Diego, does any one know of any mock interview programs in the area? Maybe at UCSD? (btw I'm not a student at any San Diego school, just taking a year off in PB)

EDIT: I hang out at Geisel all of the time, with my application and secondaries, so maybe there's something here? Third floor of the library???

EDIT again: Awesome school, I'm applying to UCSD as well.

School doesn't start until End of September (UG). I would say around maybe Nov some clubs might have some for people in prep for next year. Since you are not a student nor alum, the career services center is out...

Check back with me in Oct if you haven't found something for free by then.

Also got an interview invite! ~3.7 gpa and >34 mcat. Submitted the secondary 7/10/12.

I don't know if anyone already asked this earlier in this thread, but if you are interested in the MAS/clinical research, is that a separate program from the regular MD program? In other words, if you do not get into the MAS/clinical research program, does that have any impact on getting into the regular MD program?

Are any of those of you with interviews MSTP? Just wondering if MSTP interviews have been sent out yet? Are they done in the same batch?

Stats please!

cGPA 3.6
sGPA 3.76
PS 12 VR 8 BS 12 32N

Major in Bio and Psych, tutoring underserved high school students in Milwaukee, random volunteer stuff, 3 years of undergrad neuro research, stipend awards, first place at undergrad symposium, club lacrosse in college, competed in a few pro snowboard contests, and I'm currently a postbac at NIH doing TBI research. I also applied for the clinical research masters.

I don't know if anyone already asked this earlier in this thread, but if you are interested in the MAS/clinical research, is that a separate program from the regular MD program? In other words, if you do not get into the MAS/clinical research program, does that have any impact on getting into the regular MD program?

I applied for it and I don't think so. I would think if anything the MAS program helps your chances of getting into the MD. I think the MD program accepts you and then the MAS degree is just added on. I would assume that if you don't get the MD-MAS you just won't get in.

My interview is Sept. 25th. Anyone scheduled that day?

If I was verified before June 29th, and UCSD sent me a "receipt of AMCAS application" email on July 2nd, am I still in the running for a secondary, or am I looking at a pre-secondary rejection?

If I was verified before June 29th, and UCSD sent me a "receipt of AMCAS application" email on July 2nd, am I still in the running for a secondary, or am I looking at a pre-secondary rejection?

I am in the same situation. It looks like UCSD does not do initial rejections. See below:

Possible Outcomes after the Admissions Committee reviews your AMCAS application

1. Invited to submit a "secondary application" (proceed to Step 3). You will receive an e-mail informing you that you have been invited to submit a secondary application. If you somehow miss this e-mail, our status check page: meded.ucsd.edu/asa/admissions/applicants/ will be updated...if you see an active link to complete a secondary application, this means you have been approved/invited.

2. Not initially invited to submit a secondary application. You may not receive notification from the admissions office immediately. All applicants that are not invited to submit a secondary application will be re-evaluated by the admissions committee in January 2012 and we may decide do invite additional applicants to submit a secondary application at that time. Applicants not invited to submit a secondary application at that time will be notified by e-mail that they are no longer under consideration.

In last years thread, this happened like a month or two before January, so you make look through that to get more info.

Source (see Step 2): http://meded.ucsd.edu/index.cfm//asa/admissions/application_process//step_by_step/

Just a dumb questions, for those who received secondary, on the "meaningful experiences section", what date do you put if it's still something that's ongoing? They require you to put something down.

Just a dumb questions, for those who received secondary, on the "meaningful experiences section", what date do you put if it's still something that's ongoing? They require you to put something down.

I put July or August of 2013 because I know I will be working in my lab until then. If it was indefinite I would have put the day I submitted the secondary. I have heard mixed opinions about what you should do. If the adcoms don't like what you put down I'm sure they will just email you.

Interview invite for Sept. 27th!! Anyone else?

Yes! I'll be there the 27th as well. Though - I have a quick question. I replied back last Thursday night with my confirmation card in the email. I got an "out of office" email and I haven't received any other emails. My status still does not have the "interview date scheduled" filled out. Is your status updated?

Not looking forward to writing this autobiography...

yes! I'll be there the 27th as well. Though - i have a quick question. I replied back last thursday night with my confirmation card in the email. I got an "out of office" email and i haven't received any other emails. My status still does not have the "interview date scheduled" filled out. Is your status updated?

+1 for the email situation, but I interview on the 25th.

Yvonne just sent me interview confirmation.

I wonder if there is a reason people are scheduled on different dates or if interviews were just scheduled in the order decisions were made/randomly. Anyone else on Oct. 2nd?

Anyone think there's a disadvantage in checking that I am interested in all three dual degree programs: Independent Advanced Degree (I am interested in MAS/Clinical Research Program), Masters in Public Health (MD/MPH), and Masters of Leadership in Health Care Organization (MD/MBA) ?

I mean, after all, it's just an interest I have right now that I am open to explore in the future. Any thoughts? Or is checking all three too many?

Status
Not open for further replies.