2012-2013 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same for me. I wouldn't expect it till tomorrow because of the holiday (happy 4th everyone!)

Members don't see this ad.

is it just me or is there something wrong with the autobiographical sketch section? It disappears after I click "save and continue"

edit: fixed

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So, I'm pretty interested in the PRIME program, but not sure how to approach the optional essay. In other words, my reasons for PRIME directly parallel my personal statement.
My main issue with the question is its 4800 character limit. I can only imagine writing between 1000-2000 characters for the response. Do you think thats too little?

My autobiography includes a lot of details that could be used in the PRIME essay, but i can't really repeat anything. (I'm at 5200 characters for that one)

Last edited:
I finished the secondary, then e-pay was down. Now I can't even get the secondary page to load. Anyone else glitching out like this too?

i think something is wrong with the character count in the secondary also. its count doesn't match up to my character count in word and even under 6000 characters, it says i can't submit it because it's over 6000 characters..

this website is so glitchy! sometimes the link doesn't even work :mad:

Does Brian's new email mean we can wait until next week to polish our essay's? Or if we have them ready, is it better to submit without the payment button active earlier, like today or tomorrow?

I'm waiting until Tuesday; I don't think they'll look at the files until it's all complete.

Same. It said on the website that they won't look at your application until the fee is paid

i think something is wrong with the character count in the secondary also. its count doesn't match up to my character count in word and even under 6000 characters, it says i can't submit it because it's over 6000 characters..

Anyone else getting this issue? I even copy-pasted to Notepad first, and I'm sure I'm at 5990 characters, but it cuts me off as if I'm at 6000 when I'm not...

Anyone else getting this issue? I even copy-pasted to Notepad first, and I'm sure I'm at 5990 characters, but it cuts me off as if I'm at 6000 when I'm not...

I would venture to say its counting your hard returns as a character. Sometimes it even counts them as 2, so if you are leaving a blank line between paragraphs it could be counting it as 4 characters total. I've seen this on a few secondaries even though*I do not have access to UCSD's yet :(

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you guys create passport style photo? This UCSD secondary is ridiculous. I don't want to spend whole on the stupid photo thing. If it takes too long, I just drop ucsd and put ucsf on....

This may sound ridiculous but I have been trying for the past 15 minutes to make a password and it absolutely will not accept anything I try. And yes I've followed all of their rules. Anyone else having this problem. I mean I must be missing SOMEthing.

For example, from a random pw generator, #Ra3w4trE didn't work. wtf

Last edited:

use internet explorer! i had this issue in chrome but not internet explorer. also returns do count as 2 characters i believe

stupid ePay! let my dream school take my money!!

so for ya'lls autobiographies.. did you kinda write it chronologically describing your life? Or was it more personal statement-like?

shut-up-and-take-my-money1.jpg

I am surprised this thread hasn't blown up due to the ADCOM's last email, over 30 min ago.

Submitted, w/o payment

I am surprised this thread hasn't blown up due to the ADCOM's last email, over 30 min ago.

Submitted, w/o payment

I have a feeling they are going to stop sending out secondaries till this fiasco is fixed

So no one has recent numbers on how hard they screen? It would be nice to know how I was evaluated because I did not expect to get screened in with my uGPA and MCAT. Maybe it was my special masters program grades???

Good luck, everyone!

It should be noted they do e-checks and not credit cards though. Why are they so weird when it comes to payment :confused:

i searched everywhere for my bank statements :rolleyes:

So no one has recent numbers on how hard they screen? It would be nice to know how I was evaluated because I did not expect to get screened in with my uGPA and MCAT. Maybe it was my special masters program grades???

Good luck, everyone!

Just checked out your medschoolapphell link. Thanks for that, it made today a little more bearable. Imaging slides in a lab for 9 hours and filling out secondaries during free time was starting to get to me.

Just checked out your medschoolapphell link. Thanks for that, it made today a little more bearable. Imaging slides in a lab for 9 hours and filling out secondaries during free time was starting to get to me.

this made me laugh :D

MarioMedSchool.jpg

That's actually my own blog. Thanks for checking out. I'm glad I could help relieve some of the tension. That's the reason I made it in the first place.

Submitted secondary last night. Now I just wait. Interview invites usually start going out mid August right?

for anyone who got the email to create a Sign-On account but didn't get the secondary on the same day, have you received a secondary yet?

for anyone who got the email to create a Sign-On account but didn't get the secondary on the same day, have you received a secondary yet?

I have not, but I am OOS, so that may be part of it.

I've heard they do a computer screen that is obviously automatic, and then they review secondaries by hand and send out more. I think I got my secondary the day of that sign on email or maybe a day after. I'm OOS and I dont have crazy stats. CGPA 3.6 SGPA 3.76 32. I did score really high in the sciences and bad in verbal. Here's to hoping they like research minded med students.

I've heard they do a computer screen that is obviously automatic, and then they review secondaries by hand and send out more. I think I got my secondary the day of that sign on email or maybe a day after. I'm OOS and I dont have crazy stats. CGPA 3.6 SGPA 3.76 32. I did score really high in the sciences and bad in verbal. Here's to hoping they like research minded med students.

In my experience talking to people there, they really do. I kind of hope they want people who are service-oriented. We'll just have to wait and see.

Good luck, everyone!

I actually called the office about this. (Note: it was last summer so it may not be totally up to date)

But.. they said that they do use some kind of equation, which he obviously couldn't share with me. He basically said that if you have at least a 3.4 GPA AND a 31 MCAT, you would be screened in to automatically receive a secondary. But since there is a more complex formula I imagine there are some other factors such as individual section scores on the MCAT maybe..?

Then he said that after those automatic people get their secondaries the AdCom will look through apps.. looking at stats again, extracurriculars, and personal statements to determine who else receives a secondary.

Again, take this with a grain of salt but that's what I was told last year :)

I find it interesting that less than 2000 of UCSD's 5000 applicants have stats above those. I mean no disrespect to anyone, a 30 is an awesome score. I just feel better about my 32 now. I also don't know if they have section cut offs because I did really bad in verbal 12/8/12 and I got an automatic secondary.

I find it interesting that less than 2000 of UCSD's 5000 applicants have stats above those. I mean no disrespect to anyone, a 30 is an awesome score. I just feel better about my 32 now. I also don't know if they have section cut offs because I did really bad in verbal 12/8/12 and I got an automatic secondary.

They don't. I did worse in verbal and I got one.

Status
Not open for further replies.