2012-2013 University of California - San Diego Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't heard anything, but I'm slowly dying while I wait! :p

I am wondering if it'd a good idea to just call Brian and ask.

I am with you. I am not sure at this point if I'd rather keep waiting or actually wish to be rejected.

Members don't see this ad.

I caved and called him..he said they are still going through the people who are holding on to multiple acceptances so he didn't have an exact number of open spots yet. Offers will start to go out next week so we can hold off the anxiety until after the weekend! :scared:

I caved and called him..he said they are still going through the people who are holding on to multiple acceptances so he didn't have an exact number of open spots yet. Offers will start to go out next week so we can hold off the anxiety until after the weekend! :scared:

Damn....more anxiety and waiting..but thanks Lala for the info!

Did you ask how many people there are on the waitlist while you were at it? =p

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn....more anxiety and waiting..but thanks Lala for the info!

Did you ask how many people there are on the waitlist while you were at it? =p

There are 150 people on the waitlist now after 175 people were cut when that waitlist interest email was sent out. Brian said that he's estimating ~20-25 on the high end to get off the waitlist

There are 150 people on the waitlist now after 175 people were cut when that waitlist interest email was sent out. Brian said that he's estimating ~20-25 on the high end to get off the waitlist

Thanks for the update earf! Was this after the may 15th deadline?

and dang..I think we need to start a ucsd waiting list support group.

I agree! I need something to get me through this :p Good luck everyone! To be honest, these forums don't help my anxiety :p

Last edited:
Thanks for the update earf! Was this after the may 15th deadline?

and dang..I think we need to start a ucsd waiting list support group.

This was on may 14th.

I haven't heard anything myself!

Waiting nervously today...the admissions committee may have met yesterday, right?

I think that is a fair assumption. Hopefully we hear something soon.

I haven't heard anything myself!

Waiting nervously today...the admissions committee may have met yesterday, right?

Ya, I don't think I'm going to have any nails by the end of this week haha

The first time I talked to Brian he said they would be accepting 4-5 people a week for the next month.. So the worst part is that this may be the state of things for a while.

Ya, I don't think I'm going to have any nails by the end of this week haha
Haha. Same here. Going to head out for a run so that I stop compulsively checking my email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew from the waitlist. Hope that means good news for you all soon!

So while we are wailisted, should we still file FAFSA with ucsd? Since the deadline is sometime in June right? Thanks in advance.

So while we are wailisted, should we still file FAFSA with ucsd? Since the deadline is sometime in June right? Thanks in advance.

I submitted mine a few months ago. I don't think it hurts to just get it done.

I've already sent my FAFSA to UCSD as well. As SDSwim says, there is no harm in submitting prior to acceptance.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I know there were a few offers extended from the waitlist. I just wanted to share info since I've gotten so much info from SDN.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I know there were a few offers extended from the waitlist. I just wanted to share info since I've gotten so much info from SDN.

Thanks for the info! Did you hear this from Brian? Did he mention how many spots they have open this year?

Mr. Zeglen sounded as if he was anticipating WL movement later on.

FYI, I spoke with Brian on Thursday. As UserPickSix shared, he confirmed that the class is currently full and also stated that they have already extended "a few" offers to applicants on the waiting list. He says that he anticipates pulling ~20 more off between now and orientation. Apparently they extended 10 offers after July 1 last year...so it seems like we (still) have a long wait ahead of us. Hope that this is helpful!

FYI, I spoke with Brian on Thursday. As UserPickSix shared, he confirmed that the class is currently full and also stated that they have already extended "a few" offers to applicants on the waiting list. He says that he anticipates pulling ~20 more off between now and orientation. Apparently they extended 10 offers after July 1 last year...so it seems like we (still) have a long wait ahead of us. Hope that this is helpful!

Hey thanks everyone for the update.

On a separate subject, what's the point in holding 150 on the waitlist while there are only 20-25 spots? What's the harm in at least letting us know the rank? I guess I more or less know what the answer is...but just venting....

On a separate subject, what's the point in holding 150 on the waitlist while there are only 20-25 spots? What's the harm in at least letting us know the rank? I guess I more or less know what the answer is...but just venting....

For the same reason you apply to more than 1 school and have multiple safety schools.

Nothing this week. Thank goodness there's a beautiful weekend forecast for San Diego; the beach makes everything better! Anyone hear anything?

Nothing this week. Thank goodness there's a beautiful weekend forecast for San Diego; the beach makes everything better! Anyone hear anything?

They sent out a couple acceptances earlier in the week. Nothing here though

They want to pull someone from the wait list that has similar interests and background as the person who withdrew. Therefore they need a bigger pool to select from. At least that's what Brian told me in the beginning of the year.

Dear accepted students waiting for another school's waiting list,

I'm rooting for you.

Love,
Sd waitlisters

Is there any additional essays for the MSTP application? I'm applying this cycle and want to get a head start. Anyone who's willing/able to help is much appreciated!

Nothing. It's depressing. Guess I should start putting together another primary :/

Any news recently?

I emailed Brian and this was the response I got:

"Right now our class is “full” – offers will be made if anybody withdraws from the incoming class but this is impossible to predict. We’ve had years where we’ve made 5 or 6 offers in August, but we’ve also had years where no new offers were made after the middle of July, so to say I “expect” more movement would not be accurate. It might happen, it might not. I wish I could give you a more definitive answer."

I emailed Brian and this was the response I got:

"Right now our class is “full” – offers will be made if anybody withdraws from the incoming class but this is impossible to predict. We’ve had years where we’ve made 5 or 6 offers in August, but we’ve also had years where no new offers were made after the middle of July, so to say I “expect” more movement would not be accurate. It might happen, it might not. I wish I could give you a more definitive answer."

Thanks for sharing this.

I also called yesterday and Brian told me that they have had to extend offers in the middle of orientation week. He told me it's happened before that some people didn't show up during orientation (or chose to defer but UCSD didn't get the memo). Again, the possibility for this is slim but it could happen. Hang in there everyone.

Just got an email saying that they have removed me from consideration : (

Same here, just got the waitlist cut email. Good luck to those of you that are still on the waitlist!

Same here, just got the waitlist cut email. Good luck to those of you that are still on the waitlist!

Me as well! Good luck to all those still waiting...

Status
Not open for further replies.