2012-2013 University of Kentucky Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1.How would you describe your ability to use unscheduled time during the day for learning?

2.What competencies and qualities should a physician possess for practice in the 21st century?

3.Describe the most significant community service activity in which you have participated. How did it affect you?

4.Describe an experience or situation which made you feel grateful.

5.In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients' emotional states? As a physician, how would you deal with your own emotions?

6.Describe a situation in your undergraduate education when you felt alive and engaged in learning.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone know how many people are interviewed for the Rural Physician Leadership Program?

You should just call the admissions office and ask, their very helpful.

Sumbitted my Early Decision App earlier this week... Just waiting on my slow ass post-bach program to send in my transcript. Still hope for the Alt list this year though!!

Members don't see this ad :)

Sumbitted my Early Decision App earlier this week... Just waiting on my slow ass post-bach program to send in my transcript. Still hope for the Alt list this year though!!

Hi, what are your stats? When would they review Early Decision? Will you have time to apply to other schools if you don't get accepted to UK?

Thanks,

Waitlisted last cycle due to late application (class was already oversubscriced and there has been very little movement on the waitlist) but I was told I had a very strong application and lead to believe that ED would be a good decision. ED is really putting all your eggs in one basket because if they don't let you know until deadline then you've in a bad position to apply elsewhere. They are required to let you know by October 1st, and most other schools have an october 15th primary deadline.

Last edited:

I guess they have advise of the decision by October 1, the latest. Does this mean they're not interviewing except early decision until early decision process is complete?

Thanks and good luck

Hello I am instate from lexington, has anyone received secondaries yet? i have heard that UK does screen for them?

Hello I am instate from lexington, has anyone received secondaries yet? i have heard that UK does screen for them?
Yes, UK does screen for them, but according to their secondary application website, the secondaries will be available on or around July 15th.

From my understanding, every in-state or UK student is guaranteed a secondary. They do screen OOS pretty strongly though.

Hi! My friend is starting RPLP this upcoming year. From what I've heard about 10 people were interviewed last year for the open spots. :)

I called the admissions office the other day and the employee who is in charge of secondaries has been out on vacation. She arrived back in the office at the end of last week and should be sending out secondaries this coming week.

Hi! My friend is starting RPLP this upcoming year. From what I've heard about 10 people were interviewed last year for the open spots. :)

They have 10 spots... they just interviewed only 10 people?

I looked at their web site.. it was not clear you apply separately in AMCAS or highlight in secondary.

Can you apply to both regular MD and RPLP program, i.e. have two shots at getting a spot?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad :)
There are 7 short answer questions on the secondary, and one essay. There was no mention of a character limit so I'm guessing there isn't one. Anyway, here are the prompts, enjoy!

1. How would you describe your ability to use unscheduled time during the day for learning?

2. What competencies and qualities should a physician possess for practice in the 21st century?

3. Describe the most significant community service activity in which you have participated. How did it affect you?

4. Describe an experience or situation which made you feel grateful.

5. In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients’ emotional states? As a physician, how would you deal with your own emotions?

6. Describe a situation in your undergraduate education when you felt alive and engaged in learning.

7. Please share unique, personally important, and/or challenging facts in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

Essay: This is an opportunity to describe more about yourself to the Admissions Committee. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application is not an acceptable substitute. In the essay, please address the following points:

a. Reasons for selecting a medical career;
b. Things you have done to prepare yourself for a medical education and career;
c. Personal characteristics and other accomplishments and experiences that you feel help qualify you for the practice of medicine; and,
d. Why you chose to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.
e. Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc.

Essay: This is an opportunity to describe more about yourself to the Admissions Committee. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application is not an acceptable substitute. In the essay, please address the following points:

a. Reasons for selecting a medical career;
b. Things you have done to prepare yourself for a medical education and career;
c. Personal characteristics and other accomplishments and experiences that you feel help qualify you for the practice of medicine; and,
d. Why you chose to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.
e. Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc.

this is out of state applicants only, fyi

Do you guys think it'll be okay to submit the secondary before the primary is verified? I've heard that some schools dislike that but it'll take at least 3-4 more weeks before my primary is verified

Do you guys think it'll be okay to submit the secondary before the primary is verified? I've heard that some schools dislike that but it'll take at least 3-4 more weeks before my primary is verified

What do you mean by "primary verification"? If you get secondary, doesn't it mean they evaluated primary?

do you think it is ok to write ~300-350 words on these questions? would that be too long

What do you mean by "primary verification"? If you get secondary, doesn't it mean they evaluated primary?

Nope, my primary app hasn't been verified yet. I submitted on 7/9 so there's going to be a bit of a wait. Some schools ask for unverified info if they're not screening for their secondaries and I guess UK's one of them

Nope, my primary app hasn't been verified yet. I submitted on 7/9 so there's going to be a bit of a wait. Some schools ask for unverified info if they're not screening for their secondaries and I guess UK's one of them

Interesting... how can you submit application without AMCAS verification? Will AMCAS forward application without verification?

None of my business.. just curious.

They have 10 spots... they just interviewed only 10 people?

I looked at their web site.. it was not clear you apply separately in AMCAS or highlight in secondary.

Can you apply to both regular MD and RPLP program, i.e. have two shots at getting a spot?

Thanks,
Well, you have to indicate "Other specialty program" on AMCAS when you submit to UK for RPLP, and then there is also a section on the secondary application where you mark you're applying to RPLP. You cant apply to both, however if you apply RPLP and they decide they dont want you it kicks you back into the regular MD track applicant pool, so you dont get screwed over.

Well, you have to indicate "Other specialty program" on AMCAS when you submit to UK for RPLP, and then there is also a section on the secondary application where you mark you're applying to RPLP. You cant apply to both, however if you apply RPLP and they decide they dont want you it kicks you back into the regular MD track applicant pool, so you dont get screwed over.

Thanks, I guess you do get two chances.

I applied for regular MD program. I guess, it is too late to switch it to RPLP.

Did anyone apply early decision? Secondary submitted 7/24, Interview invitation 7/30, and interview scheduled for 8/21.

This is definitely my top choice! Good luck to everyone :)

Last edited:

Last edited:
Interview date set for 10/9.

Can any UK students share their experiences about going to school here? I was wondering if it's a P/F or letter grading system and had some general questions about the area (ex: Lexington community, "livability", etc.)

Interview date set for 10/9.

Can any UK students share their experiences about going to school here? I was wondering if it's a P/F or letter grading system and had some general questions about the area (ex: Lexington community, "livability", etc.)

If you don't mind me asking, did you get the invite by email or phone call? Also, when was the secondary completed? Thanks!

Did anyone apply early decision? Secondary submitted 7/24, Interview invitation 7/30, and interview scheduled for 8/21.
I applied Early Decision. Interview on 8/21.

For those asking questions about interviews. You'll get an email inviting you to register and sign up for a date on the calendar. Last year the class was "over subscribed" by late December so get them early!

Yea I received the secondary on 7/24, submitted secondary 7/26, interview invite 7/30. At that point, the earliest interview date for non-Early Decision Application was 10/9.

I am applying OOS and was wondering if anyone has knowledge of the UK area/community. Also, I am planning my flight soon...any suggestions where to fly into/hotel stay?

Thanks!

I went to graduate school at UK, so if you have specific questions about the area I can try to answer them the best I can.

As far as airport, Lexington is obviously the most convenient to fly into, but you could also look at Cincinnati or Louisville if you're willing to rent a car. There's a Holiday Inn Express within walking distance of campus on Export Street that I would recommend.

Yea I received the secondary on 7/24, submitted secondary 7/26, interview invite 7/30. At that point, the earliest interview date for non-Early Decision Application was 10/9.

I am applying OOS and was wondering if anyone has knowledge of the UK area/community. Also, I am planning my flight soon...any suggestions where to fly into/hotel stay?

Thanks!
I'm living here currently if you have any specific questions. When I interviewed the first time I stayed at the Red Roof Inn right off New Circle Road

I've read looked over the 2011-2012 UK thread to have some of questions answered but I have a few more:

1) OOS tuition ~60k/year...that's sickening. Do you guys know the procedure/requirements needed to apply to become a Kentucky resident? I have some family that lives in Louisville, but I'm sure that won't cut it.

2) I've looked into some merit based scholarships for OOS but there just doesnt seem to be enough. As someone who is perennially rejected any and all financial aid via FAFSA, I was wondering if there were any other modes of financial assistance?

3) Would you recommend grad school housing or other places off campus in the community? If the latter, then anywhere in specific?

I appreciate the help.

hey guys
does the secondary website allow you to re-enter signature page even if you have done it already?

Grading is by percentage, so not P/F but also not A,B,C. You get a 87.43% or whatever. Also you can't become a Kentucky resident if initially an OOS student (perhaps exceptions like marry KY resident).

I've read looked over the 2011-2012 UK thread to have some of questions answered but I have a few more:

1) OOS tuition ~60k/year...that's sickening. Do you guys know the procedure/requirements needed to apply to become a Kentucky resident? I have some family that lives in Louisville, but I'm sure that won't cut it.

2) I've looked into some merit based scholarships for OOS but there just doesnt seem to be enough. As someone who is perennially rejected any and all financial aid via FAFSA, I was wondering if there were any other modes of financial assistance?

3) Would you recommend grad school housing or other places off campus in the community? If the latter, then anywhere in specific?

I appreciate the help.

Stats are something like %50 receive fin aid, maybe half of that are merit based. The other half is tied to something like rural, diversity, etc.

Also the silver lining of tuition is it's set for all four years, so while you stay at that admittedly high 60, other options that are around 50 now will go up 5-10% a year and you could end up paying more by fourth year.

hey guys
are we supposed to get an additional "complete" email after getting "you submitted secondary e-mail"?

hey guys
are we supposed to get an additional "complete" email after getting "you submitted secondary e-mail"?

No, but you can check your status on the secondary website, although I never had a "complete" status, mine just went directly to "Interview Offered" or something like that.

I appreciate the help.
Hey can't really give you much info on the first 2 but I live and will be living off campus just outside of New Circle Road. There are a lot of apartment complexes off Tates Creek Road. I've been told grad housing is not great-- actually pretty terrible. The housing near campus (because Med campus is lumped near undergrad) can get pretty loud from undergrad parties. I chose to live a little further out (takes me about 10 minutes to get to campus) in favor of a quieter more "grown-up" lifestyle. But I have a friend who's starting this year and is living right off campus so a lot of med students do that. A lot of the apt complexes are mediocre. But I like mine, Breckenridge Court. Also The Creeks and Lansdown was pretty nice.

Does anyone know anything about interview day? Specifically who might be interviewing us? I think we have 2 individual interviews but I was wondering if it will be MD's, faculty members or medical students? Thanks!

it seems like kentucky sends out interviews in batches
has anyone got an II after july 30th?

hey guys
does the secondary website allow you to re-enter signature page even if you have done it already?

Yes it does.

On a side note, how much did guys write for the short answer questions? Mine are ~150 words right now and i'm wondering if that's too short and I should elaborate.

Yes it does.

On a side note, how much did guys write for the short answer questions? Mine are ~150 words right now and i'm wondering if that's too short and I should elaborate.

All of mine were 250-300 words. I figure they receive so many applications that they won't mind if some are a little bit shorter. I'd think it's better to be a little shorter rather than too wordy.

does anyone know anything about interview day? Specifically who might be interviewing us? I think we have 2 individual interviews but i was wondering if it will be md's, faculty members or medical students? Thanks!

+1

yay! checked my status this morning and it says interview(s) to be scheduled!!!!
sooo excited

OOS!

Preliminary Screening Completed .... Do you think that means anything significant to my moving foward?

Status
Not open for further replies.