2012-2013 University of New Mexico Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. At the UNM School of Medicine we are committed to building a dynamic, productive and positive learning environment in addition to promoting cross cultural and cross racial understanding among students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions and backgrounds. Share any unique or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity and life and work experiences. What would you as an individual bring to our medical community?

2. There are multiple paths that lead to medical school and many obstacles along the way. Please describe the unique path that has led you to medicine as well as any obstacles or adversity that you had to overcome in achieving this goal. How will this experience affect your career as a physician?

3. While providing healthcare as a physician is often a rewarding career, it is also a profession that entails addressing constant challenges. What do you see as the most significant issues the medical profession will face in the next 20 years, and what are some potential solutions for these problems?

4. Part of the goal of the UNM School of Medicine is to address the healthcare disparities that face New Mexico. Once you become a physician, how do you foresee yourself helping to address the healthcare challenges that affect communities in the State of New Mexico?

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My top choice so far not only because I'm a NM resident or the tuition is pretty cheap (compared to other schools) but also because I really believe in what the school is all about.

I went to their yearly health science day last month and I'm so impressed with the school! Plus, I really liked Albuquerque and I can see myself spending the next four years in this place!!

Good luck to all of us applying this year!!! :D:D

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I know, only those under the WICHE states or have strong ties to NM and only a very very few of them.

Thanks for the info! I guess I'll have to scratch out New Mexico from my list.

My top choice too! Wanted to apply edp but my mcat score wont he here until june 19th. Submitting my primary june 5th. Crossing my fingers for that mcat score. Good luck this cycle everybody!

My top choice too! Wanted to apply edp but my mcat score wont he here until june 19th. Submitting my primary june 5th. Crossing my fingers for that mcat score. Good luck this cycle everybody!

Ok. I have a question. Once you submitted your primary, there is no way to change that whatsoever. Is that how it works? Cause I'm interested to apply edp as well but I'm taking the MCAT on the 31st (May). And I'm planning to submit my primary prior my test score release date. I haven't gone through the AMCAS manual yet so I still don't know the whole process work. Thanks!

Ok. I have a question. Once you submitted your primary, there is no way to change that whatsoever. Is that how it works? Cause I'm interested to apply edp as well but I'm taking the MCAT on the 31st (May). And I'm planning to submit my primary prior my test score release date. I haven't gone through the AMCAS manual yet so I still don't know the whole process work. Thanks!

I believe you have to indicate on your primary that you are applying EDP. I took the 5/19 mcat so my scores will be released "late" like yours. The guidelines for EDP applicants, as taken from the SOM website are that you meet the previous classes stats in terms of gpa and mcat to be considered. Right now it shows that you need a 3.6 gpa and 27 mcat to apply edp. So we both have two options:

1. Send in the primary on june 5th with an indication of applying EDP to UNM. Cross your fingers for a decent MCAT score and wait until middle/ late June to find out how you did.

2. Wait until we get our MCAT scores and then decide based on the scores whether to apply EDP.

Personally I might go with option 2. The 5/19 test was brutal (just check out our thread on the mcat discussion section) and it makes me question how good I did on the test. I would hate to have to withdraw my application to UNM after I applied because of a bogus MCAT score. My suggestion is to take the test next week and see how you feel. Then decide how to go about it. Either way you have until August to apply EDP.

After further searching it seems like only out of state applicants must meet the last years class stats to apply edp.

I believe you have to indicate on your primary that you are applying EDP. I took the 5/19 mcat so my scores will be released "late" like yours. The guidelines for EDP applicants, as taken from the SOM website are that you meet the previous classes stats in terms of gpa and mcat to be considered. Right now it shows that you need a 3.6 gpa and 27 mcat to apply edp. So we both have two options:

1. Send in the primary on june 5th with an indication of applying EDP to UNM. Cross your fingers for a decent MCAT score and wait until middle/ late June to find out how you did.

2. Wait until we get our MCAT scores and then decide based on the scores whether to apply EDP.

Personally I might go with option 2. The 5/19 test was brutal (just check out our thread on the mcat discussion section) and it makes me question how good I did on the test. I would hate to have to withdraw my application to UNM after I applied because of a bogus MCAT score. My suggestion is to take the test next week and see how you feel. Then decide how to go about it. Either way you have until August to apply EDP.

Thanks! I just took my test yesterday. Physical killed me but the rest went well. I'll take a 27 for a score because I just don't want to take this test ever again (who does, right?) :laugh:

I'm still not sure what to do but I'm gonna start my application this weekend. I'll ask my potential LOR writers for their letters next week and hopefully get inspired to revise my personal statement so I can get everything done at least by July!

Good luck this cycle and hopefully we both get the score that we wanted!

Last edited:
Thanks! Talked to the lady at UNM admissions. Usually They only get around 15 to 20 EDP applicants and the ones they accept are strong. She said last year this year they averaged 29 MCAT and a 3.81 cGPA. Goodluck!

Thanks! Talked to the lady at UNM admissions. Usually They only get around 15 to 20 EDP applicants and the ones they accept are strong. She said last year this year they averaged 29 MCAT and a 3.81 cGPA. Goodluck!

Holy crap! I mean I expected this but HOLY CRAP!!! :scared::scared:
My cGPA will be just a little above the average (3.88) and my MCAT score...oh dear Lord!! :laugh::laugh:

And I think they only accept 3-4 out of those, huh?

Anyways, do you know though if the "30 MCAT score gets the maximum point" rule applies to EDP applicants?

And those who didn't get in still has a chance through the regular admission, right?

Thanks for all these info. Very very helpful! :thumbup:

She said last year they accepted 6 but you are correct in thinking they dump you into the regular applicant pool if you dont get in EDP. However at that point its probably not worth applying to other schools because of how late it will be in the cycle. I didnt check with her about the max mcat point thing. She did say that you are evaluated on 3 criteria : 25% GPA 25% MCAT and 50% interview/LOR/PS etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Theres like 3 of us..... Hahaha

Yup! And that should be a good sign for us, right? :smuggrin::smuggrin:

I'm busy with my application and work. I finally just finished drafting my personal statement. I will have it read by as much people as I can.

I'm still contemplating if I'm gonna apply EDP or not! LOL! We'll see next week.

Theres like 3 of us..... Hahaha

Well to be fair there are only about 10 people in the state ;)

Yup! And that should be a good sign for us, right? :smuggrin::smuggrin:

I'm busy with my application and work. I finally just finished drafting my personal statement. I will have it read by as much people as I can.

I'm still contemplating if I'm gonna apply EDP or not! LOL! We'll see next week.

Putting finishing touches on my PS tonight! Probably going to submit tomorrow! :scared:

Im waiting to submit until this upcoming tuesday when my MCAT score is released.

Good luck!

Thanks! The wait is killer.....2 days! Anyhoo, decided to wait and see about the score before I apply. So my finished AMCAS is just sitting there waiting for the score and for me to push submit. You guys submit yet?

Thanks! The wait is killer.....2 days! Anyhoo, decided to wait and see about the score before I apply. So my finished AMCAS is just sitting there waiting for the score and for me to push submit. You guys submit yet?

Submitted 2 days ago!

That's where I was last year. had AMCAS/AACOMAS all filled out, had my MCAT (1st) at the end of May and after getting to score decided to take a gap year because I was just to stressed to restudy and apply at the same time.

Submitted 2 days ago!

That's where I was last year. had AMCAS/AACOMAS all filled out, had my MCAT (1st) at the end of May and after getting to score decided to take a gap year because I was just to stressed to restudy and apply at the same time.

Thats EXACTLY where I'm at now. If it comes back crummy I'm taking a gap year for sure an come back with a stronger MCAT, more upper division science and a second language under my belt. Let us know when you get verified!

Thats EXACTLY where I'm at now. If it comes back crummy I'm taking a gap year for sure an come back with a stronger MCAT, more upper division science and a second language under my belt. Let us know when you get verified!

I certainly will :)

Hopefully you won't need to take a gap year, but I feel like I have greatly improved my app over the past year!

Honestly I don't think gap years are that bad. I'm going to have at least a year of no school which I really need before going into med school. Plus I now I get to run professionally for a year or two now.

Med school will always be there, take some time to do what you want first.

Honestly I don't think gap years are that bad. I'm going to have at least a year of no school which I really need before going into med school. Plus I now I get to run professionally for a year or two now.

Med school will always be there, take some time to do what you want first.

Agreed. Gap years can be beneficial. If I end up takin one I'm going to start racing my bicycle alot more often and hopefully get up to CAT 2. Plus learn a new language. You applying to UNM as well?

Agreed. Gap years can be beneficial. If I end up takin one I'm going to start racing my bicycle alot more often and hopefully get up to CAT 2. Plus learn a new language. You applying to UNM as well?

Yep. Born and raised in Albuquerque, absolutely love the city, but UNM just wasn't right for me for undergrad. Their med school is definitely a top choice for me right now though.

Did good guys! on to applications!

Thanks! Just submitted my primary. Have you guys looked at the old secondary prompts?

I did! They seem relatively straightforward. I was thinking about starting on them because I have a feeling at least #3 and #4 will be on this years app, if not all will be the same (like last year).

Here they are from last year if anyone is curious:

1. 1. At the UNM School of Medicine we are committed to building a dynamic, productive and positive learning environment in addition to promoting cross cultural and cross racial understanding among students of diverse talents, experiences, opinions and backgrounds. Share any unique or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity and life and work experiences. What would you as an individual bring to our medical community?

2. There are multiple paths that lead to medical school and many obstacles along the way. Please describe the unique path that has led you to medicine as well as any obstacles or adversity that you had to overcome in achieving this goal. How will this experience affect your career as a physician?

3. While providing healthcare as a physician is often a rewarding career, it is also a profession that entails addressing constant challenges. What do you see as the most significant issues the medical profession will face in the next 20 years, and what are some potential solutions for these problems?

4. Part of the goal of the UNM School of Medicine is to address the healthcare disparities that face New Mexico. Once you become a physician, how do you foresee yourself helping to address the healthcare challenges that affect communities in the State of New Mexico?

2000 characters max/prompt

Thinking about starting on them too....to me it seems like everybody from NM that applies with about a 3.5 25 mcat gets an interview.

Pretty much. I know that the last numbers I saw (maybe 2010) was something like 202 IS applicants, 199 Interviewed :D

Hahahaha yea what was up with the 3 that didnt? 2.9 and a 19? When I talked to admissions a couple weeks back she said that average matriculant gpa of 3.64 and an mcat of 28.

26.9? Man I would be loving life right now if this was the case. With the 28 avg im still competitive but not like I would have been. I think as long as your gpa is 3.3 you will be good for atleast interviews. Then just prove to them that you want medicine....badly.

26.9? Man I would be loving life right now if this was the case. With the 28 avg im still competitive but not like I would have been. I think as long as your gpa is 3.3 you will be good for atleast interviews. Then just prove to them that you want medicine....badly.

Yeah I'm really hoping AMCAS rounds my 3.496 to a 3.5 :xf:

I wish they would let you know what your GPA will be after you put in all of your courses like AACOMAS does.

They should..... I wish they did grade replacement too....whoa. But thats life. Did you apply DO as well?

Yep yep! I submitted aacomas june 1st. I knew my mcat would be good enough for DO. Wasnt sure about MD until today hahaha

Did good guys! on to applications!

sweeet!! congrats! :thumbup::thumbup:

about the MCAT score. I went to their yearly health career day last April and they showed us the statistic of their recent matriculants (I believe) and I was surprised to discover that the MCAT scores of those people were skewed to the left (20-25) but their cGPAs were skewed to the right (3.7 and above).

In short, I think UNM doesn't really put a lot of emphasis to the MCAT score. And I hear this over and over again from Cindy (Office of Admissions) whenever she visits our university. I mean it makes sense. A bad MCAT score doesn't equal to a bad doctor.

So you guys have a great MCAT score for UNM! I'm just really hoping for at least a 27 now!

You can do it! Even a 25 would get a look. In terms of DO I really like AZCOM and LMU DCOM. So far I have 8 DO schools on the list. UNM is by far my top choice though...

their match is really impressive.

It really is. Check it out if you have time they consistently match surgical specialties and other ROAD residencies. Some at MD schools.

You can do it! Even a 25 would get a look. In terms of DO I really like AZCOM and LMU DCOM. So far I have 8 DO schools on the list. UNM is by far my top choice though...

Hey hopeful, did you apply EDP?

Nope! Decided to throw in some more MD and DO schools! Did you? Anybody complete with AMCAS yet?

I see. I was hoping you can get us the secondary prompts.:smuggrin:

I decided not to apply EDP. I figured my chance of getting in will be higher if I apply broadly whatever my MCAT score tomorrow. I would retake though if I get a horrible score.

Just submitted my AMCAS tonight. I'm pretty sure it will take my application 4-6 weeks to get verified. :scared: Gotta start on those secondaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.