2012-2013 Virginia Tech Carilion Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Re-applicant this year. Didn't get a secondary last year so I'm not much help, sorry. I CAN say that if you are going to apply late you might reconsider. I'm pretty sure that did us in last cycle (SO and myself both applied).

I just discovered this school today and am intrigued. Does anyone have any recommendations on which threads have information from current students?

Members don't see this ad :)
The 2011-2012 VTC thread has some really good posts from current students on the last few pages of the thread. They explain the pbl curriculum in a lot of detail and address posters questions and concerns quite well.

The 2011-2012 VTC thread has some really good posts from current students on the last few pages of the thread. They explain the pbl curriculum in a lot of detail and address posters questions and concerns quite well.

Awesome--thanks for the help!

got the secondary. unfortunately, i don't have time to open it all up before work but i will share the prompts later if someone else doesn't.

Just got invitation to complete secondary, guess i passed whatever screen they had.

Just got secondary- here's this year's prompts:

REQUIRED ESSAY
For the following required essay, please limit your response to about 2 pages (using 1-inch margins, 12-point font, single-spaced -- approximately 7000 characters) and leave one blank line between paragraphs.

Choose one of the following essays (A or B) below to answer:
A.) Envision yourself ten years from now as a physician thought leader. In your practice of medicine, how will you demonstrate the two primary traits of a thought leader: innovation and leadership? Describe specific experiences you've had previously that will shape your ability to earn the distinction in the future.
- OR -
B.) VTC's curriculum fosters a culture of compassion through its community service learning initiatives. Through their inter-professional learning group projects (IPL), students demonstrate leadership and innovation while making a positive difference in the community. Describe an event or a time when you made a positive impact on someone else's life.

OPTIONAL ESSAY

Use this optional essay opportunity to update the information you provided in your AMCAS application on your recent experiences, such as medical volunteering, shadowing, community service, research experience, leadership or teamwork experience, and work experience. Please do not repeat information already reported in your AMCAS application. For the optional essay below, please limit your responses to about 3500 characters (1 page, 1-inch margins, 12-point, single-spaced) and leave one blank line between paragraphs.

7000 characters? Holy hamburgers!

Edit: Submitted! I used more around 3000 characters (with spaces) and stuck to describing one situation for question B.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm I can't upload my essay. It won't register it into the system.

7000 characters? Holy hamburgers!

Edit: Submitted! I used more around 3000 characters (with spaces) and stuck to describing one situation for question B.

What browser did you use

if anyone has a proble use firefox not IE, worked for me when i switched

Last edited:
~3500 characters. exactly 1 page. any more seemed superfluous.

When I log on to the application (after having submitted), it says "payment accepted, data send. Pending confirmation." Is this true for anyone else?

Last edited:
Can we use the optional essay to do a Why VA Tech essay? It only says to use it as an update...

Anybody else not get a secondary yet? I was verified July 9th. Haven't heard anything from VT, which is weird because I passed the screen last year.

My essay is just over 3000. Anywhere close to 7000 seems excessive.

Can we use the optional essay to do a Why VA Tech essay? It only says to use it as an update...

I do a "Why X school" essay for questions that ask us to write about anything we want, but not ones that specifically ask to use it to update info.

yeah agreed. i think they appreciate our ability to be succinct and to know when to stop! (just my opinion tho... maybe they do really want a 7000 character essay......)

Hey All! Welcome to the emotional rollercoaster ride that is Medical School Application Season!!!! Some of the other VTC students and myself at will post on here throughout the year to help out with any questions you might have during this process. It's good to see a lot of you are applying early!! Definitely a good strategy for any school you apply to!

As for the VTC essays, which looks to be the hot topic currently, my advice is to explore their website and learn about their 4 value domains. Learn them, embrace them, and keep them tucked in your pocket! I know a lot of students here that used knowledge on the domains to craft their essays and also to prepare for the interviews.

Last point -- if you are answering the "physician thought leader" question, make sure you ask yourself 2 questions before you start writing: what does physician thought leader mean to you? what does physician thought leader mean to VTC? For VTC, Physician Thought Leader is a powerful philosophy that gets discussed amongst the classes quite regularly.

Anyways, good luck to all of you!!! If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to shout them out. We're all friends here. Sometimes Admissions will jump into the conversation here too, so keep an eye out.

Just went back to the secondary. Noticed that they had marked my app COMPLETE at 8:29am PST, today. First II's came out last year on 8/4. Good luck y'all!

Email saying my supp applications has arrived ad complete. I turned it in first day.

When I log on to the application (after having submitted), it says "payment accepted, data send. Pending confirmation." Is this true for anyone else?

How much did this one cost?

Got the email 7/4 about the secondary and haven't heard back from them...should I be concerned?

Got the email 7/4 about the secondary and haven't heard back from them...should I be concerned?

Here is my timeline but who really knows how the process works.

07/4 same email
07/10 secondary arrived
07/23 Complete

Are you guys really writing two whole pages? Seems like so much! Dont want to come off as lazy though... hmmmmmm

I wrote one page. Quality not quantity.

What are the chances of an OOS applicant?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think out of staters have it worse off. It is a public-private partnership med school with same OOS tuition as in staters

The same as it is for in state applicants. It's a private school, so they don't have any state preference as far as I am aware. If you notice that there are a higher proportion of VA residents in the school, it's most likely due to the fact that more VA residents apply there.

Just got an II via email! wahooooooooooooooo too bad MMI terrifies me haha. scheduled for the 18th but will try to reschedule it for later.

Interview invite for the 18th as well! Of course my first medical school interview has to be MMI. I didn't think I would hear back from after I re-read my essay I sent in and found a few horrible grammar mistakes. Look forward to seeing some of yall there

Those of you with interviews, when did you guys submit the secondary?

:( Looks like they passed me over.

Oh well, Good Luck to those with Interviews!

Submitted 15th, complete on 23rd. II on 30th.

Didn't receive the invite email here, either. Thought I was a good fit

Secondary received e-mail on July 23rd. Interview invitation e-mail on July 30th.

Got the secondary arrived email on 7/23, still waiting on the secondary complete email. Anyone else in the same boat?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.