Dental schools requiring official transcripts post-acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

My dental school required official transcripts (or would've if I attended)?

• UAB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MWU-AZ

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • ASU

• LL

• USC

• UCLA

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • UCSF

• Western

• UoP

• UCD

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • UCONN

• Howard

• LECOM

• NOVA

• UF

• GHSU

• UIOWA

• SIU

• UIC

• IU

• UK

• Louisville

• LSU

• BU

• Harvard

• Tufts

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • UMaryland

• UMICH

• UDM

• UMN

• UMKC

• UMC

• UNC

• ECU

• UNMC

• Creighton

• UMDNJ

• UNLV

• Buffalo

• Columbia

• NYU

• Stony Brook

• Case

• Ohio

• Oklahoma

• OHSU

• Temple

• UPENN

• PITT

• Puerto Rico

• MUSC

• UTHSC

• Meharry

• Baylor

• Houston

• San Antonio

• Roseman

• VCU

• UW

• Marquette

• WVU

• Total voters

Kahr

Resident OMFP
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Note: Please vote on the school if it required official transcripts sent in.)

While replying to another thread regarding a transcript issue, the question of whether or not official transcripts had to be sent to the dental school you were accepted to came up. I assumed this was the norm, and required by all schools (it was the case with MWU-AZ).

So my question is, did your dental school require official transcripts sent in after you were accepted? Which dental school (if you don't mind saying)? Actually I suppose I'll add a poll to make it easier.

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

I saw that post you are referring to. I too assumed all schools required a final official transcript. I don't know how else they would know who actually finished their degree. Required or not, I'm sure they'd like to know. Or how they'd know if you finished the pre-reqs with acceptable grades (like those who save physics for last). I suppose they could selectively follow up with certain students, but it seems more logical to just be consistent and thorough and require it for everyone.

the real question becomes do schools that do not require students to prove their past academics loose credibility?

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw that post you are referring to. I too assumed all schools required a final official transcript. I don't know how else they would know who actually finished their degree. Required or not, I'm sure they'd like to know. Or how they'd know if you finished the pre-reqs with acceptable grades (like those who save physics for last). I suppose they could selectively follow up with certain students, but it seems more logical to just be consistent and thorough and require it for everyone.

Exactly what I was thinking, but as I'll mention below, I don't want to propagate this just based on assumption; hopefully this thread will provide some supporting evidence.

the real question becomes do schools that do not require students to prove their past academics loose credibility?

That may be your real question, but the purpose behind this thread was simply to encourage the spread of information. SDN is a community for sharing such information that may not be as easily ascertained independently. If I'm going to offer my advice to others here, I'd prefer to do so based on more than assumption.

In any case, SDN is also a forum for discussion and interpretation of the above information, so while I'm not seeking to, or going to question any dental school's credibility, you're free to do so.

If I had to answer your question, I would say based on the fact that most (all?) dental school's require applicants to apply through AADSAS and TMDSAS, they've at least required students to prove their past academics once.

I wasnt calling any schools out, just putting a question (rhetorically, I might add) out on the table in an effort to "encourage the spread of information."

While TMDSAS and AADSAS have to sift through thousands of individual's transcripts, many students with more than just the typical single high school and single university transcripts, the individual schools would only have to scrutinize as many individual's transcripts as their class size. Therefore relying on another entity to vet your final incoming class, in this circumstance, seems passive and possibly deleterious.

After all...
Martin MacNeill
Christopher Porco
Nathanael West

And these are a small subset of only those who were caught.

This is very interesting. I can't imagine schools would NOT confirm their information.

After all...
Martin MacNeill
Christopher Porco
Nathanael West

And these are a small subset of only those who were caught.

Those are some extreme and interesting cases, but your point is quite valid. After reading that Porco one, I thought of this recent article about a dentist who removed her ex's teeth to get back at him:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/28/dentist-pulls-all-exs-teeth-out_n_1461288.html

I'd like to not think of those who don't get caught, it's pretty scary.

I admittedly and purposefully used extreme examples.

For as little effort it would require on behalf of the schools (as opposed to TMDSAS and AADSAS), to not do it seems odd.