Non-Ranking Dental Schools

Started by dzdental
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dzdental

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I was wondering your thoughts on whether GPA matters for a school that does not rank in regards to specializing, in particular for oral and maxillofacial surgery.

I have seen comments stating "GPA doesn't matter, rank does" but in a scenario where there is no rank, what is the consensus... with CBSE being the primary parameter, how would someone with a GPA and no rank compare to someone with no GPA and no rank from some of the pass/fail schools? Additionally, would having a "lower" GPA than other classmates despite no rank hurt you or be unfavorable in this scenario?
 
- the CBSE becomes even more important
- What school has GPA but no rank? I’m only familiar with Penn.
- For schools without rank, it depends on its history. Colombia and UConn and UCLA have a reputation for sending students who become good residents. The newer schools don’t have a history, so I think program directors are very skeptical and don’t want to take a risk sometimes.
- For most PDs, the GPA is probably just a hurdle. If you’re above their hurdle, whether you get an interview comes down to the other stuff (rank, CBSE, who writes your letters)