Tips on filling out "Extracurricular, Community Service" section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angldrps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have already completed the application in previous cycles, would you mind sharing your tips on how to fill out the "Description" section of "Extracurricular, Volunteer, Community Service" section of the application.
If you can share things like Did you use bullet points or paragraphs? write about what you learned about each activity? and any other information

I am sure many of us who are applying this cycle will benefit from this. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I wrote mine in essay form and described my responsibilities and duties performed. If I was in a leadership role I made sure to say so. I didn't talk about what I learned or what I gained from the experience because I covered some of that in my PS and will continue to talk about it in secondaries or interviews. I don't want to put everything in my primary app because I want to have new stuff to talk about in secondaries/interviews.

AMCAS has an option to select up to three activities as "most meaningful." You get an extra 1300 characters (or something like that) to describe why it was meaningful to you. AACOMAS, unfortunately, does not offer that option.

Yeah I did the same as MedPR. Just essay form outlining the description of duties, responsibilities, and in some cases recognitions I got (like from work etc.) In ECs for shadowing I put title as "Shadowed Dr. so and so, D.O." and described what I did/saw and a one liner about something that I learned from that doctor like, " Dr. So and So's ability to listen to his patients, educate them about how to care for themselves, and help them be full partners in their own health was enlightening to me." or something like that.
That's just me, this is the first time I've ever done this and I could be horribly wrong. lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I wrote mine in essay form and described my responsibilities and duties performed. If I was in a leadership role I made sure to say so. I didn't talk about what I learned or what I gained from the experience because I covered some of that in my PS and will continue to talk about it in secondaries or interviews. I don't want to put everything in my primary app because I want to have new stuff to talk about in secondaries/interviews.

AMCAS has an option to select up to three activities as "most meaningful." You get an extra 1300 characters (or something like that) to describe why it was meaningful to you. AACOMAS, unfortunately, does not offer that option.

MedPR , i was noticing that you have >5000 total posts. Would this be your first cycle applying or are you a re applicant? If you don't feel comfortable sharing, then you can just ignore this.

If you signed one of those non-disclosure/ patient confidentiality form, can you still mention what you saw during shadowing?

Yeah I did the same as MedPR. Just essay form outlining the description of duties, responsibilities, and in some cases recognitions I got (like from work etc.) In ECs for shadowing I put title as "Shadowed Dr. so and so, D.O." and described what I did/saw and a one liner about something that I learned from that doctor like, " Dr. So and So's ability to listen to his patients, educate them about how to care for themselves, and help them be full partners in their own health was enlightening to me." or something like that.
That's just me, this is the first time I've ever done this and I could be horribly wrong. lol

That's a good idea, I'll go back and add something like that to mine.

MedPR , i was noticing that you have >5000 total posts. Would this be your first cycle applying or are you a re applicant? If you don't feel comfortable sharing, then you can just ignore this.

I have applied before, but not with any SDN knowledge. ~3500 of my posts were in the MCAT Q&A (notice my "member since" date). I graduated in 2010 and had a 2.65 GPA/28O MCAT. Suffice to say I didn't get accepted anywhere. I am applying this cycle with a 3.22/33Q and hopefully will get at least one acceptance.

If you signed one of those non-disclosure/ patient confidentiality form, can you still mention what you saw during shadowing?

Yes, as long as you don't name patients or mention any identifying information.

I have applied before, but not with any SDN knowledge. ~3500 of my posts were in the MCAT Q&A (notice my "member since" date). I graduated in 2010 and had a 2.65 GPA/28O MCAT. Suffice to say I didn't get accepted anywhere. I am applying this cycle with a 3.22/33Q and hopefully will get at least one acceptance.

you and i are almost stat twins..did you recently receive this 33 because i remember reading in the underdog thread that you had a 28. i don't know...i might just be losing mind from the application related stress and reading too many SDN threads..lol

Quick Q,

I've tutored in university through 2 different organizations. Should I list them separate? I feel like I have to b/c they are 2 different organizations, so I can't say I tutored, and then only put one organization name when it was through 2.:confused:

you and i are almost stat twins..did you recently receive this 33 because i remember reading in the underdog thread that you had a 28. i don't know...i might just be losing mind from the application related stress and reading too many SDN threads..lol

Yea the 33 is from April 5, but I got the score on May 8. I did post in there that I had a 28 because I was still waiting on my score.

Quick Q,

I've tutored in university through 2 different organizations. Should I list them separate? I feel like I have to b/c they are 2 different organizations, so I can't say I tutored, and then only put one organization name when it was through 2.:confused:

I would make an entry for tutoring and put both schools as the organization. Then just put the location, subjects tutored, and hours in the description box.

That's how I did my physician shadowing.

Yea the 33 is from April 5, but I got the score on May 8. I did post in there that I had a 28 because I was still waiting on my score.

I would make an entry for tutoring and put both schools as the organization. Then just put the location, subjects tutored, and hours in the description box.

That's how I did my physician shadowing.

What if they have different start/end dates :S
I put my physician shadowing for MD and DO separate as well because they were through different organizations and at different dates? So i dunno :mad:

there will be a lot of variability among the applications. i don't think it's a big deal if you list something differently as long as everything the application itself is mostly OK.

What if they have different start/end dates :S
I put my physician shadowing for MD and DO separate as well because they were through different organizations and at different dates? So i dunno :mad:

My start date is the start date of my very first shadowing experience, and my end date is the end date of my most recent experience. I'm currently shadowing though, so my end date is "current".

All 5 of the doctors I shadowed are from different organizations. Two of them are from one state, and the other 3 are from another state. I still grouped them all together and typed it out like this (stolen from TriagePreMed).

Dr Name, MD
Specialty
Name of practice/organization
Hours there

Dr name, DO
Specialty
Hours there

etc.

My start date is the start date of my very first shadowing experience, and my end date is the end date of my most recent experience. I'm currently shadowing though, so my end date is "current".

All 5 of the doctors I shadowed are from different organizations. Two of them are from one state, and the other 3 are from another state. I still grouped them all together and typed it out like this (stolen from TriagePreMed).

Dr Name, MD
Specialty
Hours there

Dr name, DO
Specialty
Hours there

etc.

Ok I'll group them together. If I shadowed one from may 2011-aug 2011, and the other in december 2011, should I put the start/end as may-aug, and just list in the description that I also shadowed a physician in december?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I'll group them together. If I shadowed one from may 2011-aug 2011, and the other in december 2011, should I put the start/end as may-aug, and just list in the description that I also shadowed a physician in december?

You can put dates on each doctor you shadowed if you want.

My first shadowing experience was May 2007 and my most recent is current. So for my shadowing entry it says:

Start Date: May 2007
End Date: None (Current)

You really can't do much with such few characters. Just describe where you did it, and your responsibilities.

there will be a lot of variability among the applications. i don't think it's a big deal if you list something differently as long as everything the application itself is mostly OK.

This

is there a maximum amount of experiences that we can enter into the application?

I used the following format to write the descriptions:

1. what is the opportunity?
2. what did you do?
3. what did you learn?

good luck :)

Both of my friends stated what they did, but also included what they learned and how it pertained to making them a better physician... They both got in to DO/MD schools. I guess it's not necessary, but it may be the extra push in your app that keeps you from being wait listed if you are on the border with the admissions council ... just a thought

Dr Name, MD
Specialty
Hours there

Dr name, DO
Specialty
Hours there

Maybe this isn't what you mean, but you don't list someone as:

Dr. John Smith, M.D. or Dr. Jane Smith, Ph.D.

It's "Dr. John Smith" or "John Smith, M.D."

Example:

Johann Smith, D.O.
Chief of Pediatrics
I followed Dr. Smith around for a day. I didn't get in her way too much and she liked my tie.

Maybe this isn't what you mean, but you don't list someone as:

Dr. John Smith, M.D. or Dr. Jane Smith, Ph.D.

It's "Dr. John Smith" or "John Smith, M.D."

Example:

Johann Smith, D.O.
Chief of Pediatrics
I followed Dr. Smith around for a day. I didn't get in her way too much and she liked my tie.

That's true, I hadn't thought about that. I know "John Smith, M.D." is the correct way to put it on a white coat or name plate, but hadn't considered that on my application. I wonder if I put Dr. and MD/DO.. better check that. :) Thanks.

Some of us non-trads, possibly yourself included, do have a lot. I've been grouping mine together for AMCAS since they only allow 15.

I guess that's true. I'm only including 7 things, though there are some non-medical jobs and some other stuff I'm leaving out. I don't feel like they are very significant and I don't want to seem like I'm just trying to take up space on my app.

That's true, I hadn't thought about that. I know "John Smith, M.D." is the correct way to put it on a white coat or name plate, but hadn't considered that on my application. I wonder if I put Dr. and MD/DO.. better check that. :) Thanks.

I guess that's true. I'm only including 7 things, though there are some non-medical jobs and some other stuff I'm leaving out. I don't feel like they are very significant and I don't want to seem like I'm just trying to take up space on my app.

I personally put a lot of my non-medical related activities into my application (ex. Ridiculous amount of years swimming competitively and recreationally, mixed martial arts, helping my uncle remodel homes for 5 summers, etc). I think that it allows me to show the admissions committees that I'm a dynamic applicant with an interesting set of skills and experiences. Just my opinion.

I personally put a lot of my non-medical related activities into my application (ex. Ridiculous amount of years swimming competitively and recreationally, mixed martial arts, helping my uncle remodel homes for 5 summers, etc). I think that it allows me to show the admissions committees that I'm a dynamic applicant with an interesting set of skills and experiences. Just my opinion.

I thought that's what secondaries and interviews were for? I have a bunch of non-medical stuff I can put on there, but I don't want to be reading them my primary app when I interview.

I thought that's what secondaries and interviews were for? I have a bunch of non-medical stuff I can put on there, but I don't want to be reading them my primary app when I interview.

I get where you're coming from. The activities section is very limited in terms of characters so I only briefly mentioned these activities. In the secondaries I go into more detail and tailor my essay toward the secondary prompt.

And plus, I don't think it could really hurt to have more activities. In total, I have 7 jobs and 12 extracurriculars listed.

I get where you're coming from. The activities section is very limited in terms of characters so I only briefly mentioned these activities. In the secondaries I go into more detail and tailor my essay toward the secondary prompt.

And plus, I don't think it could really hurt to have more activities. In total, I have 7 jobs and 12 extracurriculars listed.

Well, since AACOMAS still hasn't received all of my transcripts I guess I could add in some of my other stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

While filling in these things I entered descriptions that don't show up when I look at the application as a whole. Just wanted to make sure schools did get them. Confirm/deny anyone?

While filling in these things I entered descriptions that don't show up when I look at the application as a whole. Just wanted to make sure schools did get them. Confirm/deny anyone?

Yes, school get them :p That or they are just yanking our chain by making us fill out all those descriptions :laugh: