the word "gunner"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBlueDevil

god
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you know of any terms synonymous for "gunner"? I first heard the word at one of my interviews, and apparently it's the standard. I don't know...it just sounds weird to me...it seems like there could be a better word to describe the supercompetitive med student type.

Members don't see this ad.

To me it seems when you "gun" something, you are doing it to an excessive degree (ie, car engines, bike races, etc.) makes sense in that context. --Trek

...a better word to describe the supercompetitive med student type.••

A$$holes is a favorite term that comes to my mind.

Having decided to switch to the pre-med track pretty late in college (begining of my senior year, I'm a fifth year now) I was amazed by how viscous some of these students are. I was a business major where group projects, study gropups, and helping out the guy next to you were the norm.

I believe they would probably eat their young if it gaurenteed them a spot at a top medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cutthroats, Rats, Imps, Pansies, Grovelers, Toads, Stooges, Pricks, Brown-Nosers, Flakes, Grade ******, Self-Righteous Baaaaastards...you know, the list goes on.

anyone know where the term 'gunner' came from? I've never heard it before. Has it always been around? Just heard it recently after reading med school board.

throats... thats the big term for it at my ugrad school... comes from cutthroat

I'd never heard the word 'gunner' before I read it on this board.. We called them browners and keeners in high school. But I actually think the term gunner suits pre-meds pretty well. The people in high school may have sucked up to get marks, but gunners go all out for sabotage as well.. They not only want their marks to be the best, they also want everyone else's to be the worst possible. That's my own personal definition anyway :D

Wanna be a gunner? You're a gunner if.....
<a href="http://www.homepage.montana.edu/~awmsg/student/gunners.html" target="_blank">http://www.homepage.montana.edu/~awmsg/student/gunners.html</a>

Gunner: (noun) One who "guns" or, in other words, is trying to blow every test out of the water. This derogatory term is reserved for those who try to excel at the expense of others.
@ <a href="http://www.gradstudies.musc.edu/MED/Med_stud_prog/Dictionary.html" target="_blank">http://www.gradstudies.musc.edu/MED/Med_stud_prog/Dictionary.html</a>

Originally posted by OlympicGold:
•Gunner is of Anglican origin, and its lingual correlate, "guinery" refers to the tendency of competitive people to release their tension through the consumption of alcoholic beverages. In 1671, the Irish (of all people) used the term "Guinners" to describe alcoholics who were driven to alcoholism by environmental stressors. Typically, "Guinners" were accountants, epidemiologists, and pre-meds. King John St. Belvin of Wales founded a brewery, Guiness, to commemmorate the productivity of the overworked and insane in 1680. Still, in 1743, when the term traveled to America, its pronunciation was altered slightly, wherein it evolved to "gunners". Thus, when deans at esteemed med schools call us 'gunners', they're, in effect, suggesting our predisposition to alcoholism. Thank the deans for that next time they talk with you.•••

Is this for real? Or am I just so gullible :) :) :) :) :)

i was thinking the same thing scooby. I'm flipping back and forth from thinking it's a total load of bs, to thinking it's a quite interesting etimology.

Olympicgold if you made all that up. I'll have to say I admire your ability tremendoulsy. Please, do tell di you make this up? or is it true.
:) kudos, I have a feeling you wrote an award-winning personal statement

My last post was definitely incoherent. I've been up all night trying to type my term paper for a graduate class I'm taking. I shudder to think of the quality of work I'll be turning in to the prof a few hours from now. And it doesn't help that I had to skip lecture this morning to finish this paper. Maybe, I oughta do some brown-nosing :) Just for the records, I think brown-nosing is disgusting.
Hey but Olympic gold, I hope you kinna understood what I was trying to say in my last post

Hehe that'd be cool if it's true. Except that the name is Guinness, have to spell the the namesake right :) . I guess it is kinda fitting...I'm not sure how many people at my uni can really fit the gunner description, but when I go into the med school for work, the only thing I ever hear med students talk about is how much they drank last night and whether they have a hangover that morning. It's like they've regressed to being prepubescent when they go all out with underage binges and "did a naughty thing." Funny how I don't see that many med students walking around with beer bellies. Now...middle-aged doctors on the other hand...i've seen quite a few who're...rotund.

p.s. Olympic Gold, what do you want your olympic gold to be in? :) Actually, quite a few rowers are medical students...and I have met Olympic and Worlds gold medalist rowers who're currently in med school and are either drawing out school or putting their athletic career on hold. Talk about sacrifice :) .

For you other English geeks out there...

<a href="http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/entry/00100428" target="_blank">http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/entry/00100428</a>

Gotta love the OED.

OlympicGold,

ur brief comments on the etymolgy of 'gunner' reminds me of a section in 'tom sawyer' or 'huck finn' where this guy claimed to be a latin scholar and almost getting money from the two sisters. anyone know what i'm talking about?

Haha, yeah the OED is fun -- you have to be
on a university server (at Uni that has subscription) or VPN or the like to follow that OED link...I know this is off the topic of
gunners - but while we're on the OED - this is hilarious they give the etymology of "doh" from the Simpsons -- they just added this word a few years ago along with other words like bollywood, and I forget what else...hi-larious...

<a href="http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/entry/00304238" target="_blank">Doh</a>
[Imitative. Cf. OH int., DUH int.
Popularized by the American actor Dan Castellaneta who provides the voice for the character Homer Simpson in the U.S. cartoon series The Simpsons. The quotation below is his own description of its origin:
1998 Daily Variety (Nexis) 28 Apr., The D'oh came from character actor James Finlayson's &#8216;&#8216;Do-o-o-o'' in Laurel & Hardy pictures. You can tell it was intended as a euphemism for &#8216;&#8216;Damn''. I just speeded it up.
Although the word appears (in the form D'oh) in numerous publications based on The Simpsons, the scripts themselves simply specify annoyed grunt (as did the very earliest). Unofficial transcripts of the programme suggest the first spoken use was in a short episode, Punching Bag, broadcast on 27 Nov. 1988 as part of The Tracey Ullman Show. Its earliest occurrence in the full-length series was in the first episode Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire, broadcast on 17 Dec. 1989.]

Expressing frustration at the realization that things have turned out badly or not as planned, or that one has just said or done something foolish. Also (usu. mildly derog.): implying that another person has said or done something foolish (cf. DUH int.).

NE-Cornhuker. Cuthraot depends on the school you attend. Wher eI'm at, there's no competition between pre-meds. We all have a little group and try to help each other out as much as possible. Yeah, we'd like to get the highest score on the test, but will congratulate the few that do.