LOI wording

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burntoutgiftedkid

Reaction score
I am planning on writing a Letter of Interest for a school that has hinted that they take LOI's seriously. This is one of my top choice schools. Would it be appropriate to say "Out of the ___ # of schools that I have interviewed at, ___SOM remains a top choice school." I'm grateful to have received several II's and would like to emphasize that despite the many options I may have and the research I have done on many schools, this school remains a top choice. But, obviously, I am not bragging and don't want to come across as so. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely reiterate why this school is your top choice and how you see yourself as a student there. You can also mention the highlights of your interview and what especially caught your attention/ made you excited at the prospect of being a potential student. I wouldn't mention the other opportunities you've had to interview at other schools, as I think that takes the focus away from why this school in the first place.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am planning on writing a Letter of Interest for a school that has hinted that they take LOI's seriously. This is one of my top choice schools. Would it be appropriate to say "Out of the ___ # of schools that I have interviewed at, ___SOM remains a top choice school." I'm grateful to have received several II's and would like to emphasize that despite the many options I may have and the research I have done on many schools, this school remains a top choice. But, obviously, I am not bragging and don't want to come across as so. Any thoughts?
"A top choice" will be interpreted as "not my top choice"

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
"A top choice" will be interpreted as "not my top choice"
This is what I'm wondering about with letters of interest in general. How does one write a letter of interest at all, when the effective purpose of such a letter (compared to a letter of intent) is to say "I really want to go to this school, but there are other schools that I'm interested in, so I'm not yet sure if I'd attend"? Because if you were sure, you'd just write a letter of intent. If I were an adcom, I'd be thinking, "well why should we waste our time if this student is not even sure about us". Thus I struggle to see the purpose of letters of interest.

What's the tactful and effective way to approach these letters?

Reactions: 1 user
This is what I'm wondering about with letters of interest in general. How does one write a letter of interest at all, when the effective purpose of such a letter (compared to a letter of intent) is to say "I really want to go to this school, but there are other schools that I'm interested in, so I'm not yet sure if I'd attend"? Because if you were sure, you'd just write a letter of intent. If I were an adcom, I'd be thinking, "well why should we waste our time if this student is not even sure about us". Thus I struggle to see the purpose of letters of interest.

What's the tactful and effective way to approach these letters?
Don't write them.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users