...contingent on senior year grades...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DBB

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
SO, for those of you in dental school already...once you are accepted, does the school expect you to keep as high of grades as you had been for the previous 3.5 years of undergrad? It says on my acceptance that I must maintain my grades...does that mean above a 'C' average? Just wondering cause I BOMBED my finals since Ive been worrying about which school to send my deposit to. THANNNKS.

Members don't see this ad.

Well you do have to pass all your class. I'm not killing myself to get all A's, but i figure i'll be happy with B's. I don't think it's a big deal if you get C's but don't make that an across the board type trend for this and next semester.

I was wondering the same thing actually. This semester my grades have really been lower because of missing so many classes for interviews and such.

I would guess that we would have to do really bad to lose admission to dental school. I think the agreement means that we must pass all of our classes and recieve our diploma. Other than that....I believe the dental schools use the AADSAS GPA's when reporting class profiles, so they shouldn't care much. Unless, like I said, we totally blow it. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
In order to be able to matriculate at a dental school you mUST have:

1. Received your B.S or B.A by July 2004

2. Completed all the pre-req's with at least a C in EACH course.

3. Have remained in satisfactory academic standing

Originally posted by Comet208

Ok my school is semester with two chemistry courses for example counting as a full year. When you said at least a C in each pre-req, what if I got like a D in one half of the course and an A in the other half just because I didn't work as well..does this mean that I can't get in? What if I overload and take it again? Would that work?

Originally posted by Woodsy
Ok my school is semester with two chemistry courses for example counting as a full year. When you said at least a C in each pre-req, what if I got like a D in one half of the course and an A in the other half just because I didn't work as well..does this mean that I can't get in? What if I overload and take it again? Would that work?

A grade of D in a pre-req course is NOT acceptable. if a course has 2 semesters, they count as separate courses, so you need at least a C in each half. If you are retaking cources, they should be done prior to your matriculation at D-school. Sorry to be so blunt, i just dont want people not knowing this and when its time to start dental school they find out that they can't. Dental schools tend to be very strict about this.

Comet

On UOP's acceptance letter, they say that you must get at least a B in all the courses you told them you are going to take. I felt like that was a little steep. Definitely with missing a bunch of classes this semester, I most likely will have at least one B- on my transcript for this semester!

I am currently getting a "D" in molecular genetics and B in all the other courses.

Would this be a problem?

Here's another question, have anyone heard of people who have been accepted BUT were later denied of admission due to poor grades in senior year???

KMF, didnt you already get into UCLA?

bing, Since molecular genetics is not a prereq, your cool.

My point was that if UOP expects a B in every single class, maybe "satisfactory" to other schools means a B to them as well (not a C). No other acceptance letter that I got was that specific, so that's why I'm worried. They just said completing with the same academic standard displayed already (which I would interpret as maintaining whatever GPA you had when you applied). Anyway, that would suck to get an offer taken away.

Originally posted by Comet208

You do not have to have completed your BA or BS unless you told the school you would do so. I have not, nor will I, still got in at UOP and BU. It depends on the school, what you told them you would do, and what they expect you to do. UOP also told me to get grades of B or better. BU only said satisfactory, don't specifically know what that means.

Members don't see this ad :)
I beleive by definition, satisfactory = "C"

Originally posted by bingpredent
Here's another question, have anyone heard of people who have been accepted BUT were later denied of admission due to poor grades in senior year???

I know UNC did it to a high school senior after he screwed up his last semester grade.

so as long as I maintain a C average (or at least get a C in every class) then I should be fine for every school except UOP. That sounds pretty good!

I'm just worried coz I just finished a final for a pre-req course and if I can't get a C or more, I'll just take it again next semester along with the second half since I know for sure I passed the course. Because I do have a few bird courses lined up as well since I know that I had to somehow fluff up the GPA and realizing how busy I would be, also ensuring myself to not mess up like that.

Thanks a lot Comet, it's great help and bluntness is good.

I dont know about anybody else, but I am still working my ass off and getting those A's that got me in this position to begin with. Why cut myself short now?

I am NEVER happy with C's and B's.

Maybe that will change in D-School.

hey does anyone know if I can do this as well:

Say for instance I got a C- in Biology, one of them, and got an A in bio. The next year in an upper level bio I got an A also. Would that then count and displace the C- as a pre-req? thanks..

Originally posted by bingpredent
I am currently getting a "D" in molecular genetics and B in all the other courses.

Would this be a problem?

D in molecular genetics wont hurt as long as you get your B.S or B.A

Many, almost all the school would require you to keep working hard and getting satisfactory grades. I heard of some schools kicking out some people at the begining since their B.S or B.A wasnt complete. call the school and ask.

Comet

Originally posted by ShawnOne
I dont know about anybody else, but I am still working my ass off and getting those A's that got me in this position to begin with. Why cut myself short now?

Of course I think most of us will still be working hard, but at least the stress is off! We can just learn the material without worrying as much about what grade we receive. if I work really hard and still get a C, what can I do? At least I don't have to stress about it. Saying you will NEVER be happy with a B is kind of sad. You should just do the best you can and not worry about it, especially if you have already gotten into dental school. You have worked hard to get where you are, and at least the stress can be off for a semester and a week. Good luck everyone and enjoy your last semester in college!

Football analogy:

Theres 50 seconds left in the 4th quater. Your team is up by a field goal and has the ball on the 50 yard line. Its 1st and 10. Do you want them to:

a) Go for a touchdown
b) Go for a field goal
c) Take a kneel and end the game

Of course you'd pick C. Shawn, take a kneel!!:laugh: :laugh:

dentaldream,

What if the margin of victory is accounted for in the standings and your at the 10 yard line?

Originally posted by KMF
Of course I think most of us will still be working hard, but at least the stress is off! We can just learn the material without worrying as much about what grade we receive. if I work really hard and still get a C, what can I do? At least I don't have to stress about it. Saying you will NEVER be happy with a B is kind of sad. You should just do the best you can and not worry about it, especially if you have already gotten into dental school. You have worked hard to get where you are, and at least the stress can be off for a semester and a week. Good luck everyone and enjoy your last semester in college!

I've never worked really hard and earned less than an "A". I have, however, slacked off and earned B's and C's when I was young.

School is my job. I go into work everyday with a strong work ethic. Why is that sad?

dentaldream,

What if the margin of victory is accounted for in the standings and your at the 10 yard line?

It's not. Honestly dentaldream is right, if you are up, just take a kneel, so you can save your "best players" for later and not get them injured. In your case, I see your point for striving excellence, that is very commendable, but once you get in, I say, still do the work but take it a bit easier because things don't get easier when you're in dental school. Keeps you from getting burned out.

Heres an example..

I talked to Amy Knowles via email today. She said my application is on hold and I should send my transcripts after the grades for this semester are in.

Its not over till its over, then its just beginning.

Originally posted by Woodsy
It's not.

it IS

see above post.

Let me also add this...

Since my return to school to take my dental prereqs, I have not earned a single grade other than "A" in the past 60 units. This includes all my sciences. I HATE the feeling of taking a test and not knowing the answers (at least 90% of them). Even if I was accepted to USC today, I just cant stand feeling unprepared, ESPECIALLY if I had a choice and just said "screw it". Its just not in me. Call me obsessive, call me anal.

Since my return to school to take my dental prereqs, I have not earned a single grade other than "A" in the past 60 units. This includes all my sciences. I HATE the feeling of taking a test and not knowing the answers (at least 90% of them). Even if I was accepted to USC today, I just cant stand feeling unprepared, ESPECIALLY if I had a choice and just said "screw it". Its just not in me. Call me obsessive, call me anal. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think you're very lucky to have always gotten an A when you work hard. I'm very impressed. I guess I'm not as smart as you are. I've definitely had many classes where I worked very hard and have earned less than an A. If I was disappointed with that, I would be a very unhappy person right now. I guess my philosophy is to just always do the best that I can, and that's about all I can do to influence my grades. Of course, when I was worrying about getting into dental school, sometimes I would worry a lot about whether or not I would get in and fulfill my life goals, but now that I'm in, I don't have to worry as much.
In response to your comment above, at my school, taking tests and not knowing the answers is a very normal thing. Teachers (especially in science) love to take the knowledge that you learn from lecture and ask you questions that require a step beyond what you have learned. They ask you questions that require you to apply the knowledge you have learned, which is a very challenging thing to do. As a result, many of the tests have averages of maybe 50%. In my biochemistry class this semester, the average for our tests have been around 35%!!! The highest grade is usually around 70%. I think that this type of education will prepare me well for dental school (at least I hope :) ) Based on your above comment, it seems that this would make you feel very uncomfortable, but I think that when we are in dental school, this may be a common occurrence.
In your case, I agree that you still need to worry about your grades if USC has you on hold right now and wants to see your grades for the semester. I wish you the best of luck. I have complete faith that you will get all A's if that has been your pattern so far. By the way, I feel like you were offended by my comment that it was sad that you would never be happy with a B. I honestly didn't mean to offend you. I think it's great that you work very hard, and I feel that I work hard as well...I was just saying that we don't need to stress out as much this next semester and just enjoy what we are learning. Keep up the hard work!!! :) I think you have a good chance of getting into SC!

KMF, thanks for the kind words. I just need to score at least 80-85 on these finals and I will get those A's. Then I can send the schools a nice letter reporting my grades. :)

In response to your comment above, at my school, taking tests and not knowing the answers is a very normal thing. Teachers (especially in science) love to take the knowledge that you learn from lecture and ask you questions that require a step beyond what you have learned. They ask you questions that require you to apply the knowledge you have learned, which is a very challenging thing to do. As a result, many of the tests have averages of maybe 50%. In my biochemistry class this semester, the average for our tests have been around 35%!!! The highest grade is usually around 70%. I think that this type of education will prepare me well for dental school (at least I hope ) Based on your above comment, it seems that this would make you feel very uncomfortable, but I think that when we are in dental school, this may be a common occurrence.

I hate it when teachers do that! Those type of tests stress me out. However, they are usually on a curve, so you still get an A if you know the material and have an imagination.

But in general, my science teachers have been pretty straight forward (except my Ochem teacher who loves to give a crazy synthesis at the end of the test that be hasnt explained.)

I will be taking a knee in the final games of my undergraduate career. Dental schools do not look at margin of victory when handing out degrees.

Originally posted by KMF
They ask you questions that require you to apply the knowledge you have learned, which is a very challenging thing to do. As a result, many of the tests have averages of maybe 50%. In my biochemistry class this semester, the average for our tests have been around 35%!!! The highest grade is usually around 70%. I think that this type of education will prepare me well for dental school (at least I hope :) )

Since we went to the same school, I will proudly say that I was one of those kids that scored around 35% or the mean. :clap: Hooray for the B-'s that I received.

I talked to Amy Knowles via email today. She said my application is on hold and I should send my transcripts after the grades for this semester are in.

Why would Mrs. Knowles say this? If I recall correctly, you got pretty good stats.....why would NYU hold your application until they see your semester grades?

I think most of the schools just want you to pass with a C. I called up UCSF because I was freaking out from a C i got my fall quarter due to the interviews. They said that they didn't really care what you got as long as you passed. I guess I kept bugging them by calling them again to make sure I am ok, and they told me that you had to do something really bizarre to get your self removed from your provisional acceptance.

Columbia said just to pass all courses, Toronto needed a 2.7 (B-) in the final year regardless of how you do in your courses- meaning you can have like 2 D's and 3 A's and you're laughing.

woodsy,
so Cs or Ds in biochem and organic would be okay for columbia?

Someone mentioned repeating pre-req classes. I wonder how the math is worked there - to calculate your grade in that one course. Do you think they would take the average of the grades from the two times you took it? That would affect the math of how high you have to get the second time to achieve "satisfactory completion."

======

Yeah BA/BS isn't necessary right? I heard it ain't even necessary for med school but it rarely happens there. But in dental school a few ppl get in per year with only 3 years of college under their belt i've heard.

dentalchica said:
woodsy,
so Cs or Ds in biochem and organic would be okay for columbia?
According to Dr. McManus it is

For Temple, its just a C average that you need....

Woodsy said:
According to Dr. McManus it is

I hope a C/D in a humanities class is ok. It's looking kind of bad right now. :oops:

SillyRabbit said:
I hope a C/D in a humanities class is ok. It's looking kind of bad right now. :oops:

it's cool don't worry about it.